DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Deep Red Remake: It's in 3D and, wait for it, directed by Romero! (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/573876-deep-red-remake-its-3d-wait-directed-romero.html)

Matthew Chmiel 05-17-10 01:15 AM

Deep Red Remake: It's in 3D and, wait for it, directed by Romero!

You have got to be fucking kidding me.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...goryid=13&cs=1

Originally Posted by Variety
Get ready for "Deep Red" in 3D -- not by Dario Argento but from George A. Romero.
Romero is in advanced negotiations to helm a stereoscopic remake in English of Argento's cult classic, according to sources.

The 1975 "Deep Red," about a string of supernatural splatter murders, is considered Argento's gem giallo and the film that established his international standing.

The Romero-helmed 3D "Deep Red" redo is being set up as an Italo-Canadian co-production by Italian producer Claudio Argento via his Opera Film shingle. Robbie Little's The Little Company is preselling the pic in Cannes.

Claudio Argento, who is Dario's brother and regular producer, has penned the screenplay for Romero's redo.

Plan is to start shooting this fall in Canada.

Though Dario Argento and George Romero go back a long way -- he collaborated with Romero on zombie classic "Dawn of the Dead," on which he has producer credit, and they also co-directed "Two Evil Eyes" in 1990 -- Dario Argento will not be involved in Romero's remake in any guise.

Really?

I mean really?

riotinmyskull 05-17-10 03:05 AM

Re: Deep Red Remake: It's in 3D and, wait for it, directed by Romero!

:suicide:

Boba Fett 05-17-10 03:29 AM

10:1 this doesn't make it back.

Supermallet 05-17-10 11:50 AM

Uggggh. Deep Red is my favorite Argento film, and in my top 5 horror films of all time. This one hurts.

Chad 05-17-10 01:46 PM

Wow. Just ...wow. Words fail me at the moment.

statcat 05-17-10 01:49 PM

please say it isn't so... Deep Red is my favorite Argento movie and also probably my favorite giallo :(

JJE-187 05-17-10 02:23 PM

Didn't they try to get a Suspiria remake off the ground a few years ago? That died and hopefully this will too. I would prefer a sequel instead of a remake. I don't have the same distain for sequels as I do remakes

notkevinbacon 05-17-10 02:49 PM

This one kind of hurts twice. Romero + Deep Red.

I dunno... Romero was basically dormant in the 90s.

I have yet to finish Diary of the Dead (I own it) and haven't bothered with Survival of the Dead yet, which I will in time but the trailer really had me underwhelmed.

The point is, if you would have told me 20 years ago that Romero would continue on making his zombie films and genre films well into the 2000s I would have been geeked. But, here we are and I'm not. I'm not sure what changed more, him or I.... but I still love a good horror romp and LotD was barely alright, but nowhere even near as good as Day of the Dead which, IMHO, featured some of Savini's best FX work ever. There just seems to be nothing charming about these new movies he's pumping out, but I'll reserve final judgment for when I see them.

The sole fact there are 2 Romero "Dead" movies out that I have yet to see, well... that's saying a lot right there.

Matthew Chmiel 05-17-10 02:56 PM

Don't get me wrong, I'd be down if someone remade Argento's weaker films (for example: The Cat o' Nine Tails) and made them grittier; but Deep Red is considered to be one of Argento's finest. It's classic Argento with items like the Goblin score and the cinematography. Why remake it?

Even with both of their (now) weaker filmographies, Argento's output last decade was (unfortunately) superior to Romero's.

Sleepless, The Card Player, The Mother of Tears > Bruiser, Land and Diary of the Dead

Solid Snake 05-17-10 03:02 PM

I dunno....Romero is crap director now I think. At least we have DoTD.

DRG 05-17-10 03:28 PM

Seems like a strange match. For me, Argento's best films are masterpieces not for their stories but for Argento's direction, for the look and feel he brings to them. Romero's direction has become increasingly workman-like over the years. If anything I'd rather see Argento remake a Romero film.

The most telling thing for me was reading a recent Fangoria interview with Romero where he defended the use of CGI gore in his recent films. In a nutshell he pointed out that it's a huge cost saver, that it frees him up to concentrate on other things, etc. While I understood where he was coming from and don't necessarily disagree with his points, the way he said it just came off a bit cynical to me... like someone cranking out product rather than art. Plus I can't help but think about how Savini's work is still so effective, so memorable, all these years later, while I can't remember ever being impressed with a digital gore effect.

Geofferson 05-17-10 04:14 PM

Ugh. Not a fan of this (love the original).

DthRdrX 05-17-10 05:20 PM

It could be because the studio system is afraid of giving Romero much of a budget. (In response to DRG's CGI comment)

theWitcher 05-17-10 06:48 PM

It's a shame that David Hemmings has passed cos I'd love to see those eyebrows in 3D.

Chet Desmond 05-17-10 07:00 PM

I have a feeling this will never happen.

islandclaws 05-18-10 11:00 AM

George,

Please stop making movies.

Sincerely,

Your fans

tylergfoster 05-18-10 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by JJE-187 (Post 10163024)
Didn't they try to get a Suspiria remake off the ground a few years ago? That died and hopefully this will too.

The Suspiria remake is still in the works. David Gordon Green has been writing it for some time now. As far as that goes, I have faith that it will, at the very least, be sufficiently different enough from the original to be worth trying.

DonnachaOne 05-18-10 10:05 PM

I don't share the automatic negative reaction. Deep Red is fun and looks great, but it's no classic. A remake couldn't hurt, and Romero and Argento have had a good relationship in the past.

Besides, what's the worst that could come out of this? The original will still be there, and will probably get some sort of improved release or otherwise increased exposure.

Solid Snake 05-19-10 11:32 AM

The worst that comes out of this is that Romero is still making bad movies. He should just stop. The possibility of this being bad...seems to be pretty great.

Giles 05-19-10 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal (Post 10164737)
George,

Please stop making movies.

Sincerely,

Your fans

:thumbsup:

statcat 05-20-10 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by DonnachaOne (Post 10166104)
I don't share the automatic negative reaction. Deep Red is fun and looks great, but it's no classic. A remake couldn't hurt, and Romero and Argento have had a good relationship in the past.

Besides, what's the worst that could come out of this? The original will still be there, and will probably get some sort of improved release or otherwise increased exposure.

It is a classic as far as the giallo movie is concerned. I'm personally sick to death of all these horror remakes. It's just such a waste of Romero's time considering he could at least attempt something new. I'm in agreement that he should just stop making movies altogether because they have sucked so bad in the past few years. I'm really sorry to say that too because at one time he was a great director.

There isn't a full English version but that's because it was never recorded. I'm sure a blu ray release is right around the corner anyway.

asianxcore 05-20-10 08:50 PM

Like others here, I love the original. One of the first Argento films I ever saw.

Not sure how I feel about this

clappj 05-20-10 11:20 PM

I can picture the movie review title already...Deep Shit.

tylergfoster 10-30-10 05:04 AM

I am attending ZomBCon in Seattle this weekend, and Romero is a guest. Today, on stage, he was asked a question about 3D, and included in his response was the following quote (paraphrased to the best of my memory):

Originally Posted by George A. Romero
"They tried to get me to do a Deep Red remake in 3D, but I discovered that Dario wasn't all that thrilled about them doing it, so I'm no longer doing that project."

Matthew Chmiel 10-30-10 10:41 AM

Deep Red in a nutshell: music teacher witnesses a murder, he begins to investigate it, and people start dying.

It's notable for not only Argento's first collaboration with Goblin, but the first time he really started to use graphic violence and gore in his films.