Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Eli Roth presents: "The Last Exorcism"

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Eli Roth presents: "The Last Exorcism"

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-10, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Eli Roth presents: "The Last Exorcism"

Originally Posted by The O
I disagree with Mr. Knowles. There's some, not much, but some CGI in the film.
I thought so too but Eli Roth insisted that there was NONE when I saw it last week... he could have been exaggerating to make the movie seem more impressive.
Old 08-27-10, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by mdc3000
I agree for the most part - Patrick Fabian was excellent and the pace was decent however just when I thought shit was about to get crazy, the movie was over. I also think it is a movie that is mostly made scary by the soundtrack, (Music and sound fx) rather than anything we see on screen. It essentially is Blair Witch meets the Exorcist and I never thought it rose above that. However I thought it was decent enough to be a solid rental or cheap matinee. Eli Roth and the cast was at the screening which definitely boosted my enjoyment of the movie IMO.
Wait, so this is not like Paranormal Activity and other "found footage" movies and has a soundtrack/music in the background like Zombie Diaries? If so then I will pass. I HATED Zombie Diaries because of the music, it completely took me out of the movie and took all the scares away because you knew what was coming becaus eof the music.

Too bad because I was really excited about this and was gonna travel 45 mins to see it but not now
Old 08-27-10, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mdc3000
I thought so too but Eli Roth insisted that there was NONE when I saw it last week... he could have been exaggerating to make the movie seem more impressive.
Roth was also pushing the "no CGI" angle with his appearance on Attack of the Show last night, but don't know if it was mainly in reference to the contortionist moves of the leading actress.
Old 08-27-10, 07:15 PM

This flick had me totally enthralled until the final 5 minutes. One of the worst endings I can remember.
Old 08-28-10, 02:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Chet Desmond
This flick had me totally enthralled until the final 5 minutes. One of the worst endings I can remember.
I agree. The almost sold out crowd I was in tonight was really digging the movie (How could I tell? A room full of teens with no cell phones out or talking.), but everybody booed at that ending. It felt so out of place.
Old 08-28-10, 03:05 AM

So the ending is that bad? But the movie itself is good I'm guessing, so I might just go see it with a couple of friends
Old 08-28-10, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What the fuck are people talking about? This was one of the most boring, pointless horror films I've seen in years. At no point was anything remotely creepy, unsettling or genuinely scary. Many of those poster shots, like Nell on the ceiling, aren't even in the film. And the finale was so incredibly dumb, right down to the ending which rips off a certain film.

The only positive thing to come out of my screening was that I was able to nail some guy in the front row with a Sour Patch kid from the top of the theater. He wouldn't quit texting, so I pegged him and he kinda stood up and looked around for what hit him. I felt warm inside after that.
Old 08-28-10, 10:16 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
The only positive thing to come out of my screening was that I was able to nail some guy in the front row with a Sour Patch kid from the top of the theater. He wouldn't quit texting, so I pegged him and he kinda stood up and looked around for what hit him. I felt warm inside after that.
I think you just wrote the blurb on the back of the DVD case!
Old 08-28-10, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

FAIL! You should have hit him again while he was looking around. And you call yourself a good, theater-going Otter ...
Old 08-28-10, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

I want to take a spray bottle with me to the movies some day and just spray people with water and hiss at them when they do annoying stuff.
Old 08-29-10, 02:06 AM

were the people at the end gathered around the fire "good guys" or "bad guys"?

did they toss the baby in the fire at the end? and is that a good thing (killing it) or a bad thing (satan-baby likes fire)?

i guess they are bad and they killed the camera crew, but maybe they were trying to protect something like word from getting out.
Old 08-29-10, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Just saw it. Thought it was an above average thriller/drama. Patrick Fabian, who played Cotton, was amazing in it. I've seen the guy for years in bit parts here and there. But he really was great. But help me out here....

Spoiler:
Was this just a cult all along? And the girl wasn't possesed? Also, who was the father of the baby?
Old 08-29-10, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

70% Rotten Tomato score but a Cinemascore rating of D. Talk about polarizing...

Even run of the mill crap movies can get a Cinemascore rating of B.
Old 08-29-10, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Defiant1
70% Rotten Tomato score but a Cinemascore rating of D. Talk about polarizing...

Even run of the mill crap movies can get a Cinemascore rating of B.
The movie wasn't gruesome enough for the average horror movie goer. Or dumb enough. I'll agree with the ones who say it's not very scary. But it is extremely well made (acted, directed, script). And it is fairly creepy.
Old 08-29-10, 05:53 PM

I just got out of it and I gotta say I liked it for the most part. I was disappointed that some of the scenes from the poster art weren't in it like KillerCannibal said. Directors cut maybe?

Also, I see what everyone was talking about with the ending. I mean I guess it made sense to go that way...sort of...based on what everyone was talking about at the beginning
Spoiler:
Crazy cult leaders and stuff
but it was still a little too far fetched and it kinda left me with some questions about weather or not she was actually possessed, etc.

Overall I thought it was a decent horror movie, and certainly more intense than I thought a PG-13 movie would be.
Old 08-30-10, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah I was enjoying it until the last 5 mins... Again the whole problem with films in this manner is that, even if everything isn't really real, you will eventually put the fucking camera down and defend yourself.
Old 08-31-10, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Daniel Stamm
Ambiguity, to me, is the movie. I knew Ashley [Bell, who played Nell] needed to be somebody who would hold up to the audience's investigation of the question [of whether she was possessed or schizophrenic]. That informed everything. We couldn't use special effects for the possession scenes - we couldn't have her head spin off. So that was the question that would keep the audience involved. I like that the ending is controversial.

If we're telling a story about a minister who has lost his faith, and at the last minute he has a demon in front of him, is that too late for him to regain faith? That's not faith anymore if you see [a demon]. The question to me is whether God will help him. Or will he say, "That's a little late to call for my help." That's an important question, such an important question about faith, and that's the ambiguity about Cotton.

We also left open what's happening with Nell. People found the ending too abrupt, but you can't tie the story up neatly if your photographer is killed. If you and I walked into a devil worshiper mass, we wouldn't know what was going on. We wouldn't understand where to point the camera, and who the big boss is. We would never understand it. That to me is the meaning of the ending.

I don't want to solve the ambiguity. But if you watch the movie carefully, a lot is explained when Nell is asked about Caleb – she says he was so destroyed by his mother's death that he started hating God. So that's why Caleb joined the cult. Was she also part of the cult, or was she a victim that her brother used to implant the demon spawn? We don't know.
That is one of the biggest cop-outs I have ever heard. "We're going to film this movie in a documentary style, and then we are going to kill off the cameraman so we don't have to explain anything." What a hack.
Old 09-01-10, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kstublen
That is one of the biggest cop-outs I have ever heard. "We're going to film this movie in a documentary style, and then we are going to kill off the cameraman so we don't have to explain anything." What a hack.
Yeah I agree... The ambiguity isnt the problem. Its the whole out of left field that it doesnt make any sense quality that ruins it for me.
Old 09-01-10, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

I enjoyed it but Fabian was so funny for more than half the movie that when it turned serious i had already forgotten this was supposed to be a horror movie. Then i was like get out here go make another joke.
Old 09-01-10, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Daytripper
Just saw it. Thought it was an above average thriller/drama. Patrick Fabian, who played Cotton, was amazing in it. I've seen the guy for years in bit parts here and there. But he really was great. But help me out here....

Spoiler:
Was this just a cult all along? And the girl wasn't possesed? Also, who was the father of the baby?
Spoiler:
The cult was behind it, to raise the demon. The girl was possessed, and the baby was the demon, in order to live again. The cult worshiped the demon.
Old 09-01-10, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Rubix
Spoiler:
were the people at the end gathered around the fire "good guys" or "bad guys"?

did they toss the baby in the fire at the end? and is that a good thing (killing it) or a bad thing (satan-baby likes fire)?

i guess they are bad and they killed the camera crew, but maybe they were trying to protect something like word from getting out.
Spoiler:
Obviously bad guys, they killed the documentary film makers, throwing the baby in the fire gave it a form. You see Cotton going up to the fire and you hear the demon roar.
Old 09-02-10, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

I liked this one a whole lot.
Old 09-05-10, 04:29 PM

Is there anything after the credits? I saw a midnight show and they just turned on the lights and kicked us out as soon as the credits started rolling.
Old 09-05-10, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

^
Not that I'm aware of.
Old 01-08-11, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Chet Desmond
Just saw it last night and I agree but I have to be honest....after thinking about it and all of the foreshadowing that came before hand...I honestly don't mind it now. If anything, it could have just been handled better.

The movie definitely gave me the creeps though.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.