Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Tyler Foster's review of Date Night

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 05-13-10, 11:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not here to agree or disagree, but rather scratch my head, and ask, is this guy 80 years old or something?

And I quote, "Like everything these days, this film pushes the boundaries of the PG-13 in various ways. I feel like there was a time when the "whacked off" joke wouldn't have been able to make it into the movie, much less the greenband trailer, but what do I know."

A) This movie hardly pushes the boundaries of PG-13- in a world where "Titanic" is PG-13, with it's rampant cursing, nudity, and ex, "Date Night" is very tame.

B) A 'whacked off' joke is what makes you think this? What the hell? There were far racy jokes in the G-rated "Cat In The Hat" movie (to be fair though, that movie should have been PG-13, at least, but preferably, nonexistent).

C) How in the world was that joke at all "pushing the boundaries" of a PG13 film? OMG! They were making a double entendre, scary! Have you not seen any movie made in the last 30 years? Sweet jesus!

Sorry, but that really burst my bubble. Saying that this movie, and that joke in particular somehow made the film a boundary pushing, PG13 film, when it fact it's tame(ish), and if it weren't for one scene with Wahlberg's character's girlfriend, and the stripping scene, this could have easily, easily, easily been PG. Please watch some more movies, and learn the ratings system (as entirely flawed as it is) better.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha! Just that idea still has me in stitches! "Whacked off" makes it an R, hahahahahaha!
Old 05-13-10, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Tyler Foster's review of Date Night

It wasn't that long ago that sexual jokes, even double entendres, would ensure tougher ratings. Also, green band trailers are sorted into "all audiences" and "appropriate audiences" trailers, the latter of which (which Date Night falls into) are only supposed to play with films of a similar rating. For instance, there was a case last year of a green band trailer for Funny People that was deemed suitable for "appropriate audiences" and ran with R-rated films only - not as extreme as a red band, allowing it to be played in most major chain theatres (most of which do not run red band trailers).

I was also surprised that a film with that many vagina jokes, as well as a climax at a strip club, got a PG-13. Titanic, by the way, hardly had "rampant cursing" and had one scene of actor nudity that was presented in a nonsexual manner. Hardly anything to "shield the children" over.

You mistake Tyler's review to be the view of a coot - the reality is that I'm sure he's as unbothered as I am by the content, it's just the continued pushing of the ratings boundaries, especially by studios who can afford to continuously lobby their bankable projects, is worthy of observation.

Welcome to the board!

Last edited by DonnachaOne; 05-13-10 at 11:49 PM.
Old 05-14-10, 12:02 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

1. You may not remember Titanic as well as you think you do.
2. We have a thread for reviews.
3. Chill out...it's a review. It's not going to harm anyone. It's an opinion...on a film. Not earth shattering.
Old 05-14-10, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In regards to trailers, I'm also thinking of the "pearl necklace" gag in the green-band trailer for Forgetting Sarah Marshall.

The strip-club scene and the bit with Wahlberg's girlfriend are definitely more what I meant than the "whacked off" joke, and as people have already suggested, when it comes to that particular joke, I was more surprised it made it into the trailer than the movie itself.

Like I said, maybe I'm crazy. Maybe I'm just imagining that the PG-13 movies of the '90s got away with less. One of the first PG-13 movies I saw was Liar Liar, and I remember being surprised at the audio sex tape they play in my youthful innocence, so I'm probably just making this standard up.