Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

City Island (Andy Garcia, Emily Mortimer)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 05-13-10, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMDB - 7.5/10

RottenTomatoes - 84%

I searched a number of different ways to see if there was a thread of any sort for this movie but I couldn't find one. I've had my eye on this one for a few weeks and it finally popped up at a theater in Greenville, SC. I noticed that today was the last day it would be playing so I decided to check it out.

It's a comedy-drama staring Andy Garcia, Julianna Margulies, Emily Mortimer, and Alan Arkin and it really blew me away. I typically only start a thread for movies I really believe in, like The Secret In Their Eyes, and while this one isn't up to that level, this one is still really outstanding itself.

It's a film that starts off slowly, and from scene to scene everything starts to come together and by climax in the final act it just explodes. I haven't seen a film so cleverly put together in a good while, not quite like this. The performances of everyone involved is just great as well, but they had one heck of a screenplay to work with here. It's such a shame that this one will go unnoticed by almost everyone though, and doing only $3.1 million at the box office is just too bad.

I highly, highly recommend this flick. I'm not sure if it's my favorite of the year so far, but it's in the top three for sure. I could see a few Oscar nominations for this one next year as well, if it is eligible. For the screenplay at the very least.

I wont go into the plot and all that, but give the trailer a quick watch. The trailer isn't the best in the world to really get the point of the film across, but you'll get an idea. Just keep in mind that, in my opinion, the film is much more involving with much more depth than the trailer may show:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1V8ldV0jSdY&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1V8ldV0jSdY&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Also, Brian Orndorf reviewed this here on the site a couple of months ago and only gave it a 2/5 "Rent It" final score. Needless to say, I couldn't disagree with him more. So don't just let that review sway you from checking it out. If you can't catch it in theaters be sure to check this one out on DVD or BD. I really think a lot of you guys will be pleasantly surprised.

And while I'm at it, am I the only one here that is a huge fan of Emily Mortimer? I love her in everything that I've ever seen her in, and I really hope she gets more and more work where she can really show off her acting talent. I have a feeling big things are just around the corner for her.
Old 05-31-10, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: City Island (Andy Garcia, Emily Mortimer)

Orndorf...

That said... this is a really fun film. As you point out above it received rather wide critical praise. It was a pleasure to watch. The director really handled it well. It's got that 'indy' feel for sure, but it also cares about the characters and that makes all the difference.

Man Andy's daughter(in the film and IRL) is a knockout isn't she?
Old 05-31-10, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I pretty much watch whatever Orndorff doesn't like, based on his track history with reviews.
Old 06-19-10, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,039 Likes on 823 Posts

Great acting, pacing, writing, etc; just a really enjoyable flick all around - it has its flaws, but I can't imagine people watching it and being disappointed. Highly Recommended and one of the best movies so far this year.
Old 06-19-10, 10:05 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

it's definately in my top five of the year at the moment. (including 'Please Give')
Old 06-19-10, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I love seeing you guys comment on it, and having enjoyed it.

It hits BD and DVD on August 24th, 2010. For you guys that never had a chance to check it out, buy it or at least give it a rent when it comes out.

Last edited by Brent L; 06-19-10 at 10:11 PM.