Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Stephen King's The Dark Tower - (2017, D: Arcel) S: Elba, McConaughey

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Stephen King's The Dark Tower - (2017, D: Arcel) S: Elba, McConaughey

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-11, 06:22 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: The Dark Tower... a Ron Howard film (dear god, no)

The first four books are stellar, the last three have their ups and downs.
Old 01-31-11, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The first took me forever to read and it's like a pamphlet. The ending, though, and the second book hooked me.
Old 01-31-11, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

Yeah, the original Gunslinger novel is a brutal read, even though it's short. The revised version tweaks a couple things not in the original (for better or worse, I can't say), but overall it is much more streamlined and an easier read.
Old 02-01-11, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

If you can get thru the first book the second will hook you for sure.
Old 02-01-11, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you can get the Gunslinger on tape/cd and listen to it thats the way to go - and if you can find a copy with SK reading it, it is great. Good Luck
Old 02-01-11, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

I'm currently reading the Marvel series, to have some background for the movies.
Old 02-01-11, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

I like Viggo Mortensen. I think Christian Bale could be good. But here is my left field choice: how about Gary Oldman?

My vote for Eddie: Robert Downey Jr. (though he may be too old now)
Old 02-01-11, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by movie diva
If you can get the Gunslinger on tape/cd and listen to it thats the way to go - and if you can find a copy with SK reading it, it is great. Good Luck
Never understood why that went OOP. When it came out in 1988 my best friend and I practically came in our pants!
Old 02-02-11, 03:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would have auditioned Conan O'Brien.
Old 02-02-11, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by georgec
Debating whether or not to read the books...people seem to love the first 3/4 and not enjoy the last 3/4.
I love all of them. It's worth it to read the whole series and come to your own opinion. It's at least worthy of a closer examination.

I felt King really worked his themes well and I thought the fates of all the characters fit right in.

Also I think Hugh Jackman could make a great Roland, he could look like a young Clint Eastwood all decked out.
Old 05-05-11, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

IMDB is filling out some more info...

Norman Reedus - Eddie Dean
Michael Biehn - Man in Black
Nick Manchusco - Enrico Balazar

Which means that either they are casting for the future - or the first movie isn't only going to encompass the Gunslinger and will dive into DoTT (which may already be known...)
Old 05-05-11, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

HOLY SHIT THE BIEHN!!! MY FIRST MAN-CRUSH! Just needs Christian Slater and Timothy Olyphant now!
Old 05-05-11, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm not buying any of that until I read a press release. It could end up being true, but people can update pages like that too easily with their dream casting choices.
Old 05-05-11, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

You can't prove I did that.
Old 05-06-11, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I especially don't believe it after reading this: Universal is considering putting the whole thing into turnaround allowing Imagine Entertainment to possibly shop it around for another studio.
Old 05-06-11, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Liver&Onions
Norman Reedus - Eddie Dean
I have no idea who Reedus is, but damn he looks just like I pictured Eddie Dean.
Old 05-06-11, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

You haven't see Boondock Saints or Walking Dead?
Old 05-06-11, 01:21 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Didn't know the name of the guy but now that i googled it I know him from Blade II, Walking Dead and the Boondock Saints flicks...
Old 05-06-11, 01:26 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

I started the audiobook of the first novel. I never finished it...

The ending, though, and the second book hooked me.
I think I'll need to give it another go. It's not that I didn't like it... but I just wasn't loving it.
Old 05-06-11, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by pinata242
You haven't see Boondock Saints or Walking Dead?
Now that you mentioned it. I had to take a second look though.
Old 05-09-11, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Now that you mentioned it. I had to take a second look though.
Reedus also played "Scud" in Blade 2.
Old 05-15-11, 07:11 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

via slashfilm:

‘The Dark Tower’ Stays at Universal With Smaller Budget, Schedule Pushed Back

Universal won’t pass on the massive Ron Howard and Akiva Goldsman adaptation of Stephen King‘s series The Dark Tower, but the studio is making some changes before it writes a check. We recently heard that the project, which is mean to come to life as three feature films and a couple of TV arcs, might be shelved at Universal and offered up to other studio homes. Universal doesn’t want to let it go — understandable, as there is nothing execs like less than seeing projects they pass over do well somewhere else — but is asking for a new look at the budget, and has pushed the start date for the first film back from this fall to some time next year. Will that mean The Dark Tower loses Javier Bardem as the lead?

THR reports only that “Ron Howard, Brian Grazer and Akiva Goldsman have regrouped to try to bring the budget down.” That means a script rewrite, at the very least. Beyond that, the delay definitely calls Javier Bardem’s participation into question, because the film represented a significant commitment to begin with. If he now has to be at the whim of delays in the writing and budgeting process, that might lead to him taking other projects and ultimately being unavailable when the real Dark Tower start date rolls around.

This goes along with what Imagine president Michael Rosenberg said last week: “Dark Tower is not in turnaround… there are issues and on-going budget discussions with almost every film in development.”

The scope of this project is massive — three films and two interlinked TV series is something we’ve never seen anyone try — and so seeing it scaled back isn’t a surprise. While I’m not wild about the Howard/Goldsman creative team, I was hoping to see this happen just for the sake of the very spectacle involved. We’ll follow along to see what develops, but don’t be surprised if the rewriting process calls for further changes.
Old 05-15-11, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I kind of hope it gets stalled out. Would prefer the HBO miniseries route (like everyone).
Old 07-18-11, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

It looks like it's not happening, at least not at Universal:

EXCLUSIVE: The moment has come for Universal Pictures to fish or cut bait on The Dark Tower, the ultra-ambitious adaptation of the Stephen King 7-novel series that was going to encompass a trilogy of feature films and two limited run TV series. The studio has said, No Thanks. Universal has passed on going forward with the project, dealing a huge blow in the plan for Ron Howard to direct Akiva Goldsman's script, with Brian Grazer, Goldsman and the author producing and Javier Bardem starring as gunslinger Roland Deschain. Now, the filmmakers will have to find a new backer of what might well be the most ambitious movie project since Bob Shaye allowed Peter Jackson to shoot three installments of The Lord of the Rings back to back.

This stunning development comes after Universal in May pushed plans to start production this summer on the first film. The studio claimed to be on track for a February, postponing to reduce the budget. This temporarily dispelled rumors that Universal was putting the project in turnaround, rumors that cropped up when the studio put workers on hiatus. But it was only a temporary respite. I'm told that this time, the studio reviewed Goldsman's script for the first film and the first leg of the TV series, and would only commit to the single film. That wasn't good enough for the filmmakers, who had already hired comic book and Heroes and Battlestar Galactica writer/producer Mark Verheiden to co-write the TV component with Goldsman, which was to be made for NBC Universal Television (studio insiders deny that the studio was only willing to make the movie and not the series). I know the filmmakers planned to make it all part of the first shoot while they had the cast in place and the sets erected. I'd heard back in May that Warner Bros--where Goldsman's Weed Road is based and which is fully financing two installments of Peter Jackson's The Hobbit--was a possible landing place for the adaptation of King's 7-novel epic that is that author's answer to Tolkien's LOTR novels. The Dark Tower is about the last living member of a knightly order of gunslingers, with Deschain becoming humanity’s last hope to save civilization as he hits the road to find the Dark Tower. Along the way, he encounters characters, good and bad, in a world that has an old West feel.

Why did Universal chairman Adam Fogelson and co-chairman Donna Langley decide not to go forward? They weren't saying, at this point. Nor were the filmmakers. Universal has put big chips on the table for several tent pole films and maybe that has something to do with it. The big bets include the Peter Berg-directed Battleship with Taylor Kitsch starring, as well as the Keanu Reeves-starrer 47 Ronin with Carl Rinsch directing. If you listen to word on the street, both of these are $200 million realm with huge marketing budgets. Universal recently passed on green lighting At The Mountains of Madness, which Guillermo del Toro was to direct with Tom Cruise starring, based on HP Lovecraft horror tale. That time, the studio balked at funding a $150 million film that gave del Toro the latitude to deliver his cut with an R-rating.

Insiders said that Universal brass loved the filmmakers and the project, but couldn't make it work with the current budget in its business model.
http://www.deadline.com/2011/07/univ...and-tv-series/

But hey, at least they're making Battleship!
Old 07-18-11, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Pass on King, Howard, and Bardem for Battleship and Keanu

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.