Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Stephen King's The Dark Tower - (2017, D: Arcel) S: Elba, McConaughey

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Stephen King's The Dark Tower - (2017, D: Arcel) S: Elba, McConaughey

Old 05-17-13, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: The Dark Tower... a Ron Howard film (dear god, no)

Original shows are just a new thing for Netflix. House of Cards was pretty well received and it's a property with a built in fanbase but the fact they were willing to give us another season of Arrested Development is cool. I say why not give them a chance if they're interested. It can't be a worse option than if one movie doesn't do good just scrap it which is kind of what that article seemed to imply.
Old 01-21-14, 08:08 PM

Re: The Dark Tower... a Ron Howard film (dear god, no)

Ahoy, squirts! Quint here. I had a lovely interview with Aaron Paul for his film Hellion at Sundance. Super nice guy (the interview started with him offering me a banana... not in a weird way, if you can imagine that) and super gracious and humble.

When I got to the part about about what's coming next I decided to inject an opinion I've been harboring for a few years now. I've tweeted about it a couple of times over the years, but I think Mr. Aaron Paul would be perfect as Eddie Dean in any Dark Tower movie/tv show/whatever. There was talk recently where he said he'd be down to play the guy, but there was nothing more substantial to than him tweeting that he'd be open to it.

When I brought it up in our conversation he said something interesting. Here it is:

Quint: For what it's worth when I watched the first season of Breaking Bad I immediately thought you'd be perfect as Eddie Dean in a Dark Tower movie. I don't know if you've read those books...

Aaron Paul: I have not read them all. He shows up midway through the second book, right?

Quint: Yes. I know it's typecasting a little bit, but you'd be my choice for the part.

Aaron Paul: Thank you. I've had a ton of meetings on that. I just had a general sit down with Ron Howard, who is a huge fan of the show (Breaking Bad, naturally), which is such a crazy thing to even think that Ron Howard even knows who I am. They're definitely planning on making it.

Quint: It's such a tough series to crack, man. I don't envy them trying to make it work.

Aaron Paul: I'm excited. Their goal is to do three films, but also have a television element to it, which will be very interesting. From what I hear, Eddie Dean is a pretty epic, iconic character.

Quint: You should definitely pick up the books. He's really the heart and clear conscience of the group. Eddie's a really complex and interesting character. He gets to have a great romance... It's a good role is what I'm saying, so don't turn it down when they offer it to you!

Aaron Paul: (laughs) Definitely will not!

Just to be clear, meetings are not a contract, but “lots of meetings” including at least one recently with Ron Howard bodes very well. It'd be a great move if it happens and, as you see above, he's gonna take it if offered.

So, that's the update for what it's worth.
Old 01-21-14, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

re: Stephen King's The Dark Tower - The Film - New, Rumors, etc.

That would be a great choice.
Old 01-21-14, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Aaron Paul for Eddie Dean? Fuck yeah, bitches!
Old 01-21-14, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Am I the only person in the world who doesn't sprout wood every time Aaron Paul's name is mentioned for a role? I guess I need to watch something he has been in other than Breaking Bad.
Old 01-22-14, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post
Am I the only person in the world who doesn't sprout wood every time Aaron Paul's name is mentioned for a role? I guess I need to watch something he has been in other than Breaking Bad.
No, me too.
Old 01-22-14, 06:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post
Yeah I don't get it either.
Old 01-22-14, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

^^ Ok, so there are 3 of you. I think the guy is super talented and the bigger news is that this movie is still a go.
Old 01-22-14, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

He seems like a great fit for Eddie Dean. It's moot, though, as this thing will never happen.
Old 01-22-14, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Aaron Paul was great in Breaking Bad, but I haven't seen him in anything else. Casting him as Eddie Dean is kind of an uninspired choice, and wouldn't exactly test his range as an actor, but I'm sure he'd do well. I thought Howard had given up on this project, it would be a very difficult adaptation. I really liked the books but some of the dialogue about ka tets and stuff would be pretty silly on the big screen.
Old 01-22-14, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe View Post
Aaron Paul was great in Breaking Bad, but I haven't seen him in anything else. Casting him as Eddie Dean is kind of an uninspired choice, and wouldn't exactly test his range as an actor, but I'm sure he'd do well. I thought Howard had given up on this project, it would be a very difficult adaptation. I really liked the books but some of the dialogue about ka tets and stuff would be pretty silly on the big screen.
Like Star Wars speak or Klingon language or even the mish-mash of words used in The Hunger Games? the dialogue is the least of this projects concerns.
Old 01-22-14, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Rob V View Post
Like Star Wars speak or Klingon language or even the mish-mash of words used in The Hunger Games? the dialogue is the least of this projects concerns.
I haven't seen The Hunger Games, and Klingon isn't comparable because that's an alien language, I really like invented languages in movies and shows. The Dothraki and Valyrian in Game of Thrones is really cool. The Star Wars concepts were well done, they seemed mystical, whereas the stuff King came up with seemed more forced and hokey, more along the lines of mitochlorians than The Force. But, you're right. The story has much more difficult aspects involved in the adaption, and I don't think Howard is the right director for the job. I'd like to see what Don Coscarelli did with the material.
Old 01-22-14, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Trying to make a movie and tv series side by side would make for a hellish production schedule. Movie 2 would have to come out before season 2 would start up. Unless an American network would be okay with a two year wait for a new season to start which I doubt they would go for.
Old 01-22-14, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mhg83 View Post
Trying to make a movie and tv series side by side would make for a hellish production schedule. Movie 2 would have to come out before season 2 would start up. Unless an American network would be okay with a two year wait for a new season to start which I doubt they would go for.
It depends a bit on the number of episodes. Trying to do 22 1-hour episodes and a movie each year would be hellish, but a 13-episode season and a movie seems more do-able.

However, I'm not sure they're still committed to that plan. They were considering an offer to just do one movie, with additional films contingent ont he success of the first.
http://www.deadline.com/2013/05/cann...e/#more-500046

One way to possibly mix movies and TV series is to have the films focus on Old Roland, and have the show focus on Young Roland. That way the cast and production teams would be split, and what happens in one wouldn't directly affect the other. So people could watch the show without seeing the movies, and vice-versa, while those that watch both get a fuller experience.
Old 01-22-14, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post
It depends a bit on the number of episodes. Trying to do 22 1-hour episodes and a movie each year would be hellish, but a 13-episode season and a movie seems more do-able.
The 13-episode/season format is working well for Game of Thrones (also a hugely-popular adult-oriented fantasy series). You'd think producers would want to emulate that approach. They're thinking of mega movies like Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter series produced. But I just don't see that working for Dark Tower.

Even though it'll piss off the purists, this is one adaptation I welcome some changes from the source material. Especially in King's post-accident novels (Wolves of Calla on).
Old 01-22-14, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Nitpick, but GoT has 10-episode seasons but they also shoot for 180 days (per their most recent featurette).
Old 01-23-14, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by pinata242 View Post
He seems like a great fit for Eddie Dean. It's moot, though, as this thing will never happen.
Forget all the other role wishlists, he's perfect for Eddie.

Originally Posted by Rob V View Post
^^ Ok, so there are 3 of you. I think the guy is super talented and the bigger news is that this movie is still a go.
Old 01-23-14, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by brainee View Post
Even though it'll piss off the purists, this is one adaptation I welcome some changes from the source material. Especially in King's post-accident novels (Wolves of Calla on).
I'm with you on this. There were too many pop-culture and circular (referring to his own works) that won't work. (Unless they opt to leave them in as Easter eggs.)

King is usually decent at organically working in pop-culture references, but he went off the deep end (starting with Wolves of the Calla).
Old 01-23-14, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, they need to cut out the meta elements to make this work, especially:

Spoiler:
The inclusion of King, himself, in the story.
Old 01-24-14, 01:55 AM
Banned by request

Actually, I hope they keep that in. Just to highlight the total what the fuck-ness of it.
Old 01-25-14, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
Actually, I hope they keep that in. Just to highlight the total what the fuck-ness of it.
Yeah ... fuckness doesn't even begin to describe that ...
Old 01-25-14, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What is fuckness?
Old 01-25-14, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Katniss' hot sister.
Old 01-25-14, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Fuck Ness.

Old 01-26-14, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Haven't you ever heard of the Fuck Ness Monster?

Actually fuck Ness is what I wanted to do in middle school ... she was one hot piece of (N)ess. I can't remember her first name, but her brother was in my class.

One more (unrelated thought) ... Johnny Knoxville or Edward Norton would make a better Eddie Dean.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.