Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

A Nightmare on Elm Street (Bayer, 2010) --> The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: A Nightmare on Elm Street (Bayer, 2010) — The Reviews Thread
0%
0%
10.34%
6.90%
15.52%
15.52%
12.07%
6.90%
6.90%
6.90%
8.62%
5...6...not gonna get these tix!
10.34%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-10, 07:14 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

Please continue pre-release discussion here.

Movie:
"A Nightmare on Elm Street" (2010) (Starring Jackie Earle Haley, Kyle Gallner, Rooney Mara, Katie Cassidy, Thomas Dekker, Kellan Lutz)

Release Date:
4/30/2010

Rating:
R (for strong bloody horror violence, disturbing images, terror and language)

Running Time:
95 min. (1h. 35m.)

Rotten Tomatoes:
Fresh:20 Rotten:117 (15% as of 5/12/10)
RT Link...

Info:
IMDb Link...

Trailer:
<object width="450" height="237"><param name="movie" value="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/20484"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/20484" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" wmode="transparent" width="450" height="237" allowFullScreen="true"></embed></object>

Poster Art:

Last edited by OldBoy; 05-12-10 at 11:29 AM.
Old 04-29-10, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: A Nightmare on Elm Street (Bayer, 2010) --> The Reviews Thread

Just got back. It was entirely not as bad as I was expecting. My number one concern going in was the kids, but they were much more appealing than I expected. Dialogue is truly atrocious, but Bayer steamrolls ahead with the visuals and basically ignores the story and characters, and those visuals are pretty good. Haley is enjoyable, although claims that Freddy is "scarier" here are only partially founded. Good scares, sure, but he's still the same old joke-crackin' Krueger.

Don't know how pleased Nightmare fans will be -- I was disappointed how they de-toothed Nancy, particularly in one horrendous moment near the end -- but it's different enough from the original that you can view it more as a distant sequel than a remake, and in that regard, it's a cut above.
Old 04-29-10, 05:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/44860

Originally Posted by harry knowles
Platinum Dunes has made their very best film by leaps and bounds with A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET. And the resulting film was as if every other film they’ve done, they learned from every mistake and actually stumbled across exactly what they’ve been needing.
---

and 2 more positive reviews

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/44856

Last edited by riotinmyskull; 04-29-10 at 05:56 AM.
Old 04-29-10, 09:37 AM

0 for 4 on RT. i think i will see tomorrow with an open mind.
Old 04-29-10, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
Just got back. It was entirely not as bad as I was expecting. My number one concern going in was the kids, but they were much more appealing than I expected. Dialogue is truly atrocious, but Bayer steamrolls ahead with the visuals and basically ignores the story and characters, and those visuals are pretty good. Haley is enjoyable, although claims that Freddy is "scarier" here are only partially founded. Good scares, sure, but he's still the same old joke-crackin' Krueger.

Don't know how pleased Nightmare fans will be -- I was disappointed how they de-toothed Nancy, particularly in one horrendous moment near the end -- but it's different enough from the original that you can view it more as a distant sequel than a remake, and in that regard, it's a cut above.
nice mini Tyler. gtk it isn't a direct remake bc from the trailers it almost looked scene for scene and i was hoping for some freshness. Freddy is my all-time favorite character and i quite enjoyed the F13 remake so i was hoping this wouldn't piss on the legacy and at least i can go in an enjoy. i don't get scared from movies too much anymore, but if the heart can kick an extra beat now and then i am satisfied.

Tyler don't forget to rate it up top.
Old 04-29-10, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by scott1598
nice mini Tyler. gtk it isn't a direct remake bc from the trailers it almost looked scene for scene and i was hoping for some freshness. Freddy is my all-time favorite character and i quite enjoyed the F13 remake so i was hoping this wouldn't piss on the legacy and at least i can go in an enjoy. i don't get scared from movies too much anymore, but if the heart can kick an extra beat now and then i am satisfied.

Tyler don't forget to rate it up top.
It's definitely similar, but the characters are pretty vastly different and most of the big beats are either re-arranged or altered. Bayer does an interesting (although admittedly far less satisfying) take on the blood-ceiling gag.
Old 04-29-10, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

In a way, Freddy finally makes sense in this version of Elm Street, but Robert Englund's original Freddy is still preferable to Haley's pervy Groundskeeper Willy.
Old 04-29-10, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

I watched the original the other night, and was very disappointed to find it didnt hold up as well as I remembered. Not very scary at all.

I'll probably see this, since now I don't hold the original as high as I remembered, this one can't be much worse.

Still wish that this one would have been primarily about Krueger when he was alive, with the film ending with his death.
Old 04-29-10, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by thematahara
Still wish that this one would have been primarily about Krueger when he was alive, with the film ending with his death.
Yup, you really have to piece the flashbacks together, and the first episode of Freddys Nightmares. They couldve done this with England also. Oh well.
Old 04-29-10, 12:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw a screening last night and I mostly hated it. (For background, I liked the TCM and F13 remakes and loved The Hills Have Eyes and Dawn of the Dead remakes.)

I guess I was hoping for more reinvention, but it's pretty much the same as the original, except with far more Freddie. It seems like more than half the film is dream stuff and it gets really repetitive and kind of dull. It's also not particularly scary or suspenseful.

Essentially no likeable characters, either. The actress playing the Nancy character is terrible and I laughed out loud when I realized that Katie Cassidy's character was actually supposed to be a high-school student. At first, I figured she had to be a college kid or a student teacher or something. The idea that she's 17 or 18 is ridiculous.

Young teens might like it, but I can't imagine any genre fans wanting to see it more than once (if that).
Old 04-29-10, 03:36 PM

I've read 16 reviews since this morning and only one, Harry from AICN, was good. The others were what you'd expect, which makes me happy. Even those reviewers who like Haley didn't have much in the way of good to say about the new Freddy.

The first one is still powerful and disturbing. Even though I'm no longer a kid and immune to the scares of it, I can still see and appreciate what it was that did scare me back in 1984. Absolutely terrifying. You can't say that about most horror films of the last several years, possibly decades.
Old 04-30-10, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Here's my full review, although it basically (as you would expect) says the same things as I said above.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/43505...street-2010-a/

Orndorf's is up, too: http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/43503...street-2010-a/

As always, he is not as kind as I.
Old 04-30-10, 03:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I actually liked it quite a bit; compared to most Platinum Dunes releases, it actually has a stronger narrative, better casting and some pretty legitimate scares in the middle of bombardment central.

And while Haley will never be the Freddy we all grew up with, he still manages to make this version his own and delivers probably the most spine-tingling rendition of him yet.
Old 04-30-10, 07:24 AM

Thoroughly enjoyed this "re-imagining" of Krueger. In all honesty, I think by changing the circumstances of Krueger's backstory, they fixed a problem I've always had with the original series.

Plus, by using the horrible cliche of jump scares in this film, they've made them a tad legitimate, considering that the jump scares in this film work with the narrative. We/the characters don't know the real world from the dream world.

I've always loved the idea of the series and Englund more than the execution of the films. I think, if this film makes money, they can do some very interesting things with Krueger in sequels, if they keep him on this path...the more vicious, menacing version of Freddy...because Freddy's pissed in this film and Haley lets you see how pissed he is. It's kind of refreshing.
Old 04-30-10, 12:49 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

This movie was terrible. Downright awful. The dour feel, the unimaginative dream world, the completely one-note performances by the teenagers, all of it. Haley completely bungled Freddy. This killer has no panache, no style, no imagination. And the climax is straight out of Freddy vs. Jason, except without Jason. Completely boring and utterly pointless.
Old 04-30-10, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
This movie was terrible. Downright awful. The dour feel, the unimaginative dream world, the completely one-note performances by the teenagers, all of it. Haley completely bungled Freddy. This killer has no panache, no style, no imagination. And the climax is straight out of Freddy vs. Jason, except without Jason. Completely boring and utterly pointless.
FWIW, the ending of Freddy vs. Jason (or at least the concept of how to got rid of Freddy) was straight out of the original Nightmare and Freddy's Dead. So sounds like they just kept the climax of the original.
Old 04-30-10, 06:19 PM
Banned by request

Spoiler:
I don't remember Nancy pulling Freddy out of the dream world in the first film. She turns her back on him and takes away his power, but doesn't pull him into the real world. Unless I missed that part.
Old 04-30-10, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Pretty boring. I did think there were a few nice Freddy moments and the movie finally started to show a little flair with from the pharmacy sequence until the end, but overall mediocre. I love Katie Cassidy but the cast either had nothing to do or were just annoying... Rooney Mara was OK but I definitely would have preferred her sister. Hell, you've got Clancy Brown and Connie Britton in your movie and give them a scene and a half - wtf? And while I know that the original had one of those last second scares tacked on to it too, I fucking dare Platinum Dunes to make a movie that DOESN'T end on a last second 'Boo/Gotcha!' scare moment. 2/5 stars.
Old 04-30-10, 07:12 PM

Spoiler:
I don't remember Nancy pulling Freddy out of the dream world in the first film. She turns her back on him and takes away his power, but doesn't pull him into the real world. Unless I missed that part.
Yeah, I'd say you "missed" that part.

Original NoES spoilers abound:

The entire final act of the movie centers on Nancy's plan to pull Freddy into the real world in order to kill him. She puts traps up around the entire house; rigs a sledgehammer to her door to hit him when she runs out of her room, fishing wire to trip him in the living room, etc.

She willingly goes to sleep and sets her alarm so she can grab on to him and pull him into the real world, since she managed to steal his hat earlier in the film while under the sleep study at that clinic. It works, she manages to set him on fire, and knock him down some stairs and then he runs upstairs and hops onto her mother in bed. She then confronts his "spirit" which is when she turns his back on him and walks away.
Old 04-30-10, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Spoiler:
They set that up for the entire beginning of the third act in the original. When did you last see it?
Old 04-30-10, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
no Nancy does pull him out of the dream. She gets the idea from the dream clinic where she pulled his hat out.
Old 04-30-10, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sorry I missed those posts above mine that already answered suppermallet's question.
Old 04-30-10, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I liked it, but it wasn't the best ever.

The acting was pretty good for a horror movie, and I liked having more of the backstory; however, I like the deaths better in the original version of the series
Old 04-30-10, 09:03 PM

HORRIBLE! HORRIBLE! HORRIBLE movie. Save your money and rent it from the redbox for $1. Even after paying just $1 to rent it it will be just only HORRIBLE.
Old 04-30-10, 10:03 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by Poink
Yeah, I'd say you "missed" that part.

Original NoES spoilers abound:

The entire final act of the movie centers on Nancy's plan to pull Freddy into the real world in order to kill him. She puts traps up around the entire house; rigs a sledgehammer to her door to hit him when she runs out of her room, fishing wire to trip him in the living room, etc.

She willingly goes to sleep and sets her alarm so she can grab on to him and pull him into the real world, since she managed to steal his hat earlier in the film while under the sleep study at that clinic. It works, she manages to set him on fire, and knock him down some stairs and then he runs upstairs and hops onto her mother in bed. She then confronts his "spirit" which is when she turns his back on him and walks away.
Wow, it seems like I always wholly misunderstood that sequence. I thought she read about setting traps so she could set them in her dream, not the real world. The ending where he disappears makes no sense if he exists as a physical being in the real world. I always assumed it was all in the dream world.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.