Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Avengers - May 2012 - D: Joss Whedon

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Avengers - May 2012 - D: Joss Whedon

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-10, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,655 Likes on 1,032 Posts
Re: The Avengers - May 2012 - D: Joss Whedon

Originally Posted by BJacks
II hope he pulls off an amazing film, I just think he's a weird choice for what's arguably one of the biggest films in decades.
But isn't the discussion that most of these "weird choices" for directors tend to pan out?

Michael Bay seems like a no-brainer for something like "Transformers" and we all saw how that turned out. The "weird choices" have worked out better for comic book movies lately...let's keep the trend alive.
Old 04-14-10, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

I enjoy some of his stuff (including Astonishing X-men) and am interested to see his take. As others have said, I never would have though Jon Favreau could pull off Iron Man and look how well that turned out. I'm definitely willing to give Whedon a chance on this.
Old 04-14-10, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So if Baron Zemo is the villain, im assuming the studios will not go for the hooded kkk look and screw up his look as they did with gi joes cobra commander.
Old 04-14-10, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Draven
But isn't the discussion that most of these "weird choices" for directors tend to pan out?

Michael Bay seems like a no-brainer for something like "Transformers" and we all saw how that turned out. The "weird choices" have worked out better for comic book movies lately...let's keep the trend alive.
A)

B) You didn't like Transformers?
Old 04-14-10, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
Nope. Ang Lee on Hullk (noble failure, but a failure nonetheless), Michael Steven Johnson on Daredevil/Ghost Rider (from the guy who wrote the Grumpy Old Men movies and directed Simon Burch), Tim Story on Fantastic Four (QED), even Joel Schumacher on Batman, etc.

Michael Bay seems like a no-brainer for something like "Transformers" and we all saw how that turned out.
TRANSFORMERS was generally pretty well received and made buttloads worldwide. I'd say Bay was a no-brainer that worked. The sequel, on the other hand...
Old 04-14-10, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Whedon doesn't annoy me as much as his pushy, annoying, obnoxious fanboys do. Same with Jesus.

Last edited by Hokeyboy; 04-14-10 at 02:48 PM.
Old 04-14-10, 04:06 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
For Love of the Game: $46 million worldwide. The Frighteners: $29 million worldwide.
And someone was saying Serenity was a problem at $38 million.

My turn. How many motion pictures has Joss Whedon directed in his career?
One studio feature. He's also got decades of experience in TV, and, as I mentioned, is a known commodity in Hollywood.

Peter Jackson had directed 3. Not too many, but at least it was a nice mix of films that gave us some sense of his talents. Dead Alive has a cult following, Heavenly Creatures was well received, and The Frighteners did have some interesting special effects.
He actually did six. Bad Taste, Meet The Feebles, Dead-Alive, Heavenly Creatures, Forgotten Silver, and The Frighteners. However, three of those were low-budget schlockfests, one was a mockumentary, and that leaves only two that would convince New Line that he was right for The Lord of the Rings. However, neither the Frighteners nor Heavenly Creatures suggested that he would be able to handle a massively budgeted three film fantasy epic that was shot simultaneously and required extensive special effects.

Raimi was definitely more established than either Jackson or Whedon. He already had the Evil Dead trilogy, and gave us A Simple Plan, easily his best film that deserved far more than 2 Oscar nominations.
You're right that Raimi was the most established. I think he was a great choice, but at the time I seem to recall people were iffy on him.

He may make a good film, but I'm not as optimistic.
Well, we'll have to wait and see which one of us is right.
Old 04-14-10, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
One studio feature. He's also got decades of experience in TV, and, as I mentioned, is a known commodity in Hollywood.
To add to your argument, JJ Abrams is another guy who had no experience directing a motion picture, but was given a $150 million budget to go direct Mission Impossible III. And year later was offered to go direct Star Trek. Those two films turned out to be pretty damn good, imo.
Old 04-14-10, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by outcastja
To add to your argument, JJ Abrams is another guy who had no experience directing a motion picture, but was given a $150 million budget to go direct Mission Impossible III. And year later was offered to go direct Star Trek. Those two films turned out to be pretty damn good, imo.

And before someone says that M:I-3 was a failure at $134 million on a $150 million budget, it made about $397 million worldwide. Domestic disappointment does not a total failure make. Star Trek speaks for itself I think.
Old 04-14-10, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
Whedon doesn't annoy me as much as his pushy, annoying, obnoxious fanboys do. Same with Jesus.
true - up with Whedon!
Old 04-14-10, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,655 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Nope. Ang Lee on Hullk (noble failure, but a failure nonetheless), Michael Steven Johnson on Daredevil/Ghost Rider (from the guy who wrote the Grumpy Old Men movies and directed Simon Burch), Tim Story on Fantastic Four (QED), even Joel Schumacher on Batman, etc.
It seems like that has panned out better lately, as super hero movies have been great these past few years.

TRANSFORMERS was generally pretty well received and made buttloads worldwide. I'd say Bay was a no-brainer that worked. The sequel, on the other hand...
I think we all know how little box office has to do with quality (see Avatar). I have no doubt Bay could make an Avengers movie that would make money, but the quality would be shit. I'd rather have a better movie, but then again...I'm not a studio exec.
Old 04-14-10, 05:21 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

This is a risky pick in my opinion. The Avengers has been a film the Marvel fanatics have wanted for years and years. A large budgeted, big, epic comic book action adventure. And they're going to give the job to a guy who's directed a grand total of 1 movie that grossed a piddly $38 million WORLDWIDE.
Bryan Singer's pre-X-Men resume:

Usual Suspects -- Budget $6 million, gross $23 million
Apt Pupil -- Budget $14 million, gross $9 million

Christopher Nolan had three movies, two of which -- Memento and Onsomnia -- did reasonably well, but nothing that would have made him the stand-out pick for Batman.

Sam Raimi had a longer resume, but again -- there was nothing on it that suggested he could deliver Spider-Man the way he did.
Old 04-14-10, 05:25 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

to everyone bolstering my argument.
Old 04-14-10, 07:26 PM

Wow, this is great news. His participation gives me hope that they'll do more than just settle for an all-out plot-less action-fest. I imagine him doing something similar to what Favreau is doing with Iron Man.

Have the rumors started yet that this will now be a musical?
Old 04-14-10, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

Great post
Old 04-14-10, 11:00 PM

whedon will do great. he has "real" comic book people behind him helping him out in kevin feige and jon favreau. this movie will own.
Old 04-14-10, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I think Whedon is ridiculously overrated, especially Firefly, but I don't mind him in the director's chair for this. I think I would have rather seen Favreau direct the Avengers, but oh well.

Like the examples above, plenty of director's that people wouldn't have thought about did great jobs with comic book properties and Whedon will treat the material well.

Last edited by fumanstan; 04-14-10 at 11:34 PM.
Old 04-14-10, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by bunnydojo

Have the rumors started yet that this will now be a musical?

If you had thrown in a NPH reference I would give it 5...
Old 04-15-10, 06:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Jealous, much? To paraphrase Jim Cameron's repsonse to haters, "Let's see you make a movie."

Seriously, while Whedon may not be the best visual director, he's a hell of a storyteller with a gift for dialogue. We need more films from people like him, and less films from people like Michael Bay and Brett Ratner.
Favreau was an unknown, and a lot of people were really hesitant about the movie, bc it had an actor who was a recovered junkie, a character that really doesn't have the kind of audience that Batman, Superman, or Spider-man does, and a hollywood fanboy as a director. The movie was promoted properly though.

The difference between Whedon and Favreau is that he's already proven that his dialogue is stilted and totally unrealistic, his humor is too self-aggrandizing and totally mistimed, his plots are predictable and trite, and so on and so forth.

I have many of the same feelings about his run on Astonishing X-men. It was another x-men book written by a fanboy. His stories weren't even original. He recycled 3 storylines from the Avengers that were done way better, even in the modern age: Beast pursuing a cure for mutation, a supercomputer built in a subservient capacity becomes self-aware with homicidal tendencies, and an alien civilization believes Earth to be too great of a future threat and decides to annihilate it. Those aren't just "general" stories, but they played out almost exactly the same way.

He didn't even get the characterization right. Wolverine and cyclops fight in the first issue. They fight. For no reason at all. They've been at odds before, but they haven't gone this far, not for a long time, and with no real reason. Wolvie and Beast fight. For no reason at all. And so on and so forth. It's really tiresome to see that kind of immature writing in an X-men book. He obviously didn't understand the characters.

Dialogue like this:

"Lockheed! you are the best x-dragon ever!"

Is dumb for so many reasons. I mean do you really expect us to think that these characters know they're in a comic? they talk about things like it's merchandise for sale. In a world that hates and fears them. This isn't how Kitty Pride talks. This is how someone who wants to BE Kitty Pride talks, if they ended up LARPing.
Old 04-15-10, 06:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by JasonF
Bryan Singer's pre-X-Men resume:

Usual Suspects -- Budget $6 million, gross $23 million
Apt Pupil -- Budget $14 million, gross $9 million

Christopher Nolan had three movies, two of which -- Memento and Onsomnia -- did reasonably well, but nothing that would have made him the stand-out pick for Batman.

Sam Raimi had a longer resume, but again -- there was nothing on it that suggested he could deliver Spider-Man the way he did.
You're right, those three directors showed absolutely no talent with those movies, movies which were ignored by critics and quickly forgotten by audiences as mediocre and totally mundane.
Old 04-15-10, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, it's not the Blade Runner remake I had hoped for, but this thread delivers.

He wouldn't have been my first choice, though I guess I'm not too concerned either. Besides Favreau, there isn't really anybody I was hoping for.

Please don't include any Captain Hammer references.
Old 04-15-10, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

I see that a lot of the arguments seem to focus on Whedon the writer moreso than Whedon the director. Is he writing this one as well as directing?
Old 04-15-10, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I've never read Astonishing X-Men, but it seems like most accounts is that it was a very successful and popular run.
Old 04-15-10, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by RocShemp
I see that a lot of the arguments seem to focus on Whedon the writer moreso than Whedon the director. Is he writing this one as well as directing?

Funny you should ask.

http://www.pajiba.com/trade_news/new...-exclusive.php

Several months ago, Zak Penn was charged with writing the script for The Avengers. We still don’t know what the gist of that story will be, other than it will involve Nick Fury, director of S.H.I.E.L.D. bringing together the newfound superheroes who have been developing in a series of movies from Marvel Entertainment — namely, Iron Man, Captain America, Thor and possibly The Incredible Hulk. We don’t know much else about it, nor do we know who the big bad will be.

Apparently, Whedon is not only in final negotiations to direct, but also to rewrite Penn’s script
Old 04-15-10, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Hmm, well the main reason I didn't care for Firefly or Serenity were the characters, actors, dialogue... music. If he's dealing with these already established characters I don't see how he can go too far off the reservation. I just hope he doesn't try and get too cute with the dialogue quips....

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.