Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Avengers - May 2012 - D: Joss Whedon

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Avengers - May 2012 - D: Joss Whedon

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-12, 01:14 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: The Avengers - May 2012 - D: Joss Whedon

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
True. Considering what I've read on how they get Banner in (it's in this thread somewhere) he'd have to be. Banner is the most interesting me in this one. His level of agreement, how they convinced him to stay, does he lash out (as Hulk) against any team member? We know he has it under control....which to me in a generality is kind of scary that a man could control that which couldn't be at some point....and sure as hell SHIELD thinks the same way.
There have been incarnations of the Hulk in the comics where he has been in control of his power. Savage Hulk (aka "Hulk Smash" Hulk) is just the most well known Hulk. In the 80s he became grey and physically smaller and weaker than Savage Hulk while retaining some intelligence. This incarnation was also known as Joe Fixit, and he worked as a Vegas bouncer for a time. (Its not as bad as it sounds. Hulk comics were actually really good at the time.) Later he became Professor Hulk when he turned green again and also became stronger (but still not quite as strong as Savage Hulk) and retained all of Banner's intelligence as Hulk.
Old 02-18-12, 02:10 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was talking about more of the context on what he have so far in the MCU.

also...Fixit was badass. Great times for the hulk
Old 02-18-12, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where does the World War Hulk sit? He looked as strong as ever (he basically took out the entire Marvel Universe) and yet seemed to have Banner's intelligence.
Old 02-20-12, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ That was a Hulk of normal human intelligence, yet kinda crafty, cunning and downright surly. That's still the current "incarnation" in the comic today.

Strengthwise? Well, his nickname was "The Worldbreaker."
Old 02-20-12, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Old 02-20-12, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 624 Likes on 482 Posts

Even though all three look constipated, Cap still comes out looking like the douche of the group.

I don't mind the costume redesign (which is actually good). I just hate the actual construction. It looks like a cheap shit Party City costume.
Old 02-20-12, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Avenging....serious business.
Old 02-20-12, 04:44 PM
Banned

That article mentions a Loki-led alien threat. Assuming that is official and not just writer opinion, that pretty much confirms those were Skrulls in the trailer and not Frost Giants since the giants aren't aliens.
Old 02-20-12, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Captain America looks ridiculous. Is that seriously the best they could do? And isn't he supposed to be the main character that the audience sees the film through?
Old 02-20-12, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979
That article mentions a Loki-led alien threat. Assuming that is official and not just writer opinion, that pretty much confirms those were Skrulls in the trailer and not Frost Giants since the giants aren't aliens.
Technically, in the movie universe, they were indeed aliens. Same for Thor and the rest of the Asgardians.
Old 02-20-12, 05:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Technically, in the movie universe, they were indeed aliens. Same for Thor and the rest of the Asgardians.
I haven't seen the film since it was released so it isn't exactly fresh in my mind, but I don't recall anything in the film saying that Asgardians were aliens. Asgard is in a different realm, but not a different planet. Asgard is still on Earth, just a different realm of existence.
Old 02-20-12, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I haven't seen the film since it was released so it isn't exactly fresh in my mind, but I don't recall anything in the film saying that Asgardians were aliens. Asgard is in a different realm, but not a different planet. Asgard is still on Earth, just a different realm of existence.
It was mentioned several times. In the opening narration it was left ambiguous but implied that they were not gods. Then later Kat Dennings and Natalie Portman discussed how as advanced aliens they would have been viewed as gods by primitive man.
Old 02-20-12, 06:30 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I never took "realm" to mean the same physical location in a different dimension. I always looked at it as other planets.
Old 02-20-12, 06:57 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

that's what I thought.

Originally Posted by RocShemp
It was mentioned several times. In the opening narration it was left ambiguous but implied that they were not gods. Then later Kat Dennings and Natalie Portman discussed how as advanced aliens they would have been viewed as gods by primitive man.
I probably missed that tidbit of info being in awe of all the badass Asgardian shit.
Old 02-20-12, 09:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Supermallet
I never took "realm" to mean the same physical location in a different dimension. I always looked at it as other planets.
I never read any Thor comics, so I am really only familiar with Thor from Avengers comics, but I never assumed Asgard was an actual planet like say Krypton. I always assumed it was an alternate dimension on Earth. Even in the movie you have the portal between Asgard and Earth, and it seems unlikely to me at least that there would be a portal such as that connecting two different planets but rather two different dimensions. I never pictured Asgardians as actual aliens like Kryptonians.
Old 02-20-12, 09:22 PM
Banned by request

The same portal also bridges Asgard and the ice giant realm, whatever it's called. An Einstein-Rosen Bridge can connect two disparate points in space, or two points in different dimensions (theoretically, of course), so it could be either.
Old 02-20-12, 09:47 PM
Banned

According to the Marvel wiki

http://marvel.wikia.com/Asgard

Asgard is both a planet and another dimension. It doesn't make much sense to me, but comic book science usually doesn't make sense anyway.

So I guess Thor is an alien just like Superman? I have been reading comics since the 80s when I was a little kid and never knew that. I never thought of Asgard being a planet, just another dimension like heaven and hell or something.
Old 02-20-12, 09:59 PM
Banned by request

Yeah, sounds like the writers don't even know the relationship terribly well.
Old 02-20-12, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 599 Likes on 432 Posts

I always thoughts Asgard was above a mountain in the sky or is that something else?
Old 02-20-12, 10:21 PM
Banned by request

Sounds like Olympus to me.
Old 02-20-12, 10:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Sounds like Olympus to me.
Yes, and the Greek gods exist within the Marvel universe as well.

And speaking of gods, I would love to see the Beyonder in a movie. Too bad Marvel can't make a big screen adaption of Secret Wars since they don't have the rights to X-men, Fantastic Four, and Spider-man.
Old 02-20-12, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Yes, and the Greek gods exist within the Marvel universe as well.

And speaking of gods, I would love to see the Beyonder in a movie. Too bad Marvel can't make a big screen adaption of Secret Wars since they don't have the rights to X-men, Fantastic Four, and Spider-man.
Only if they could have spiderman teaching Beyonder how to use the bathroom.

"The experience is consummated!"
Old 02-20-12, 11:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
Only if they could have spiderman teaching Beyonder how to use the bathroom.

"The experience is consummated!"
That was Secret Wars II. Secret Wars I was when Beyonder swatted Galactus like he was nothing more than a common fly. I don't think there is any comic character that went from being such a major league badass to a wimp as quickly as Beyonder did from Secret Wars I to II.
Old 02-21-12, 06:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Oh, I know. I still want that scene.
Old 02-21-12, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

According to the Marvel wiki

http://marvel.wikia.com/Asgard

Asgard is both a planet and another dimension. It doesn't make much sense to me, but comic book science usually doesn't make sense anyway.
Why? There has to be some sort of landmass in the Asgard dimension for everyone to occupy.

So I guess Thor is an alien just like Superman? I have been reading comics since the 80s when I was a little kid and never knew that. I never thought of Asgard being a planet, just another dimension like heaven and hell or something.
Not really. It's not really a planet so much as a floating rock that they all live on, and that's only because that's how Odin wishes it to be. Marvel's recent Fear Itself mini really illustrated that well by showing
Spoiler:
Odin reshaping it into basically a giant war machine to combat the Serpent.
Also, its not shown much, but the Earthly pantheons still draw power from human "faith" in them, and they're effected by prayer. Fear Itself and Herc/Chaos War being the most recent examples, respectively.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.