Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Avengers - May 2012 - D: Joss Whedon

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Avengers - May 2012 - D: Joss Whedon

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-11, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Avengers - May 2012 - D: Joss Whedon

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
The only one I could find...but I'd be game for something like this.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/VhD_bYMuEkk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Thor went out like a bitch!
Old 10-06-11, 02:01 PM

New trailer hits online next Tuesday! Source: Comingsoon.net.
Old 10-06-11, 05:36 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Please..please let us see Hulk vs. Avengers in that trailer. Please for the love of titty fucking christ, let us see that.
Old 10-06-11, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts

That's a lot to ask for... even a temp Hulk would look pretty shitty. Did they wrap principle yet?
Old 10-06-11, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by leem6453
New trailer hits online next Tuesday! Source: Comingsoon.net.
nerd boner!
Old 10-06-11, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo
That's a lot to ask for... even a temp Hulk would look pretty shitty. Did they wrap principle yet?
Yep. Whedon's editing it right now.

Do we know Hulk is a villain here? Or is that assumption?
Old 10-06-11, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
nerd boner!
Even with his pants off, how would you spot something so small?

Last edited by RocShemp; 10-06-11 at 09:32 PM.
Old 10-06-11, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
So Cap, Thor, and Iron Man (in full Hullkbuster armour) wear Hulk down and Hawkeye delivers the finishing blow? If it's a 20 minute mid-movie action setpiece, I'd be down for that.
What good is Hawkeye really? If he has an arrow with a tranq on it to slow down or knock out the Hulk, so what. Couldn't IM's suit be modified to shoot a projectile or projectiles with tranqs on them more effectively? Doesn't make sense for a guy with a bow and arrow to be in the same leage with the others.
Old 10-07-11, 03:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by movieguru
What good is Hawkeye really? If he has an arrow with a tranq on it to slow down or knock out the Hulk, so what. Couldn't IM's suit be modified to shoot a projectile or projectiles with tranqs on them more effectively? Doesn't make sense for a guy with a bow and arrow to be in the same leage with the others.
And, if you took the human piloting the Iron Man suit and replaced it with a robot that could react so much quicker then a human, that'd be better still wouldn't it?

I think the "Do just really talented people with no powers belong on the Avengers?" debate is best when framed in the right context. Bruce Lee famously asked a student... "If you were faced with a mortal battle, and you knew the enemy was ready to kill you, would you rather face him with a pen knife or a hand grenade?" After the student picks the grenade, Lee follows up with "what if you were trapped in a phonebooth with him?"

Iron Man needs the suit, Hulk eventually passes out, Thor is a bull in a china shop, Cap has the same vulnerabilities we all do... What Hawkeye and Black Widow brings to the table is thinking outside of the head-to-head tactics the rest of the team uses. Widow is a expert spy and uses those skills as a detective. Hawkeye holds back and picks his shots and ends up being their utility player, often providing the KO shot because he's not stuck with just one move (he has a wide selection of specialized arrows).
Old 10-07-11, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
Yep. Whedon's editing it right now.

Do we know Hulk is a villain here? Or is that assumption?
Speculation, but I'd assume that there would be an initial tussle between Hulk and the Avengers, before they all gang up on Loki.

Spoiler:
That's how the first issue of The Avengers back in the 60s went.
Old 10-07-11, 09:06 AM
Banned

And even in the Ulti$mates, Hulk was the first major guy they took down.
Old 10-07-11, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Didn't Hulk also want to kill Freddie Prinze Jr?

Mark Millar comics are the Shrek movies of the comics world. They sell well but overall are really lame and dated as hell in no time at all.
Old 10-07-11, 10:13 AM
Banned

Hahaha. Yeah. The core idea of modernizing it was great. Some aspects are really interesting and worked well but some like Hulk getting mad that Betty was talking to FP Jr (why did they choose him? Shit actor and not even really popular at that time). Who coaxed the Hulk about that?
Old 10-07-11, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Navinabob
And, if you took the human piloting the Iron Man suit and replaced it with a robot that could react so much quicker then a human, that'd be better still wouldn't it?

I think the "Do just really talented people with no powers belong on the Avengers?" debate is best when framed in the right context. Bruce Lee famously asked a student... "If you were faced with a mortal battle, and you knew the enemy was ready to kill you, would you rather face him with a pen knife or a hand grenade?" After the student picks the grenade, Lee follows up with "what if you were trapped in a phonebooth with him?"

Iron Man needs the suit, Hulk eventually passes out, Thor is a bull in a china shop, Cap has the same vulnerabilities we all do... What Hawkeye and Black Widow brings to the table is thinking outside of the head-to-head tactics the rest of the team uses. Widow is a expert spy and uses those skills as a detective. Hawkeye holds back and picks his shots and ends up being their utility player, often providing the KO shot because he's not stuck with just one move (he has a wide selection of specialized arrows).
You know, it's fun little fan-frenzied narratives like this that kept me in comics for so long.
Old 10-07-11, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by movieguru
The real answer is because the writers want him there so that the audience has someone more human to identify with. That's why in most superhero movies the hero is criminally underpowered in relation to the villain, and must somehow outwit/outsmart/outwill their opponent. It really draws the audience in. That's why the Superman movies are so goddamn boring. It's almost impossible to identify with the main character - people actually have an easier time clinging to the villain, Luthor, because at least we know his motivations what drives him. Superman, not so much.

Without people like Hawkeye and Black Widow and even to an extent Iron Man, there's no pathos, and there's less tension. It was extremely effective in the comics too. The Avengers was always more fun and readable compared to the Justice League because the heroes were more down to Earth, and even when they went up against enormous problems like the Kree or Thanos, they were still the underdog.
Old 10-07-11, 12:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Superboy
The real answer is because the writers want him there so that the audience has someone more human to identify with. That's why in most superhero movies the hero is criminally underpowered in relation to the villain, and must somehow outwit/outsmart/outwill their opponent. It really draws the audience in. That's why the Superman movies are so goddamn boring. It's almost impossible to identify with the main character - people actually have an easier time clinging to the villain, Luthor, because at least we know his motivations what drives him. Superman, not so much.

Without people like Hawkeye and Black Widow and even to an extent Iron Man, there's no pathos, and there's less tension. It was extremely effective in the comics too. The Avengers was always more fun and readable compared to the Justice League because the heroes were more down to Earth, and even when they went up against enormous problems like the Kree or Thanos, they were still the underdog.
Superman The Movie was pretty good. And depending on how you cut SMII..it can be pretty good but not as good as SM:TM.

I think the factor of caring for Superman is moreover to the comics. He's invulnerable for the most part. You need to give him something to lose. Lois Lane, Metropolis. THOUGH...I would also like to see Superman meet someone who even he is astounded by. I mean..there's always somebody bigger and stronger out there.
Old 10-07-11, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
Superman The Movie was pretty good. And depending on how you cut SMII..it can be pretty good but not as good as SM:TM.

I think the factor of caring for Superman is moreover to the comics. He's invulnerable for the most part. You need to give him something to lose. Lois Lane, Metropolis. THOUGH... I would also like to see Superman meet someone who even he is astounded by. I mean..there's always somebody bigger and stronger out there.
That's why Doomsday was such a great read in the comics. I still remember my jaw dropping as he obliterated the entire Justice League before taking Supes down later. Now Doomsday isn't all that special. Much like Bane, he can be taken down by any number of lesser heroes even when there are multiple copies of him.

I think Darkseid is another villain they could use in movies. His power level is above Superman by a few notches. There is a great fight in the Superman/Batman: Apocalypse animated movie that was pure joy to watch. I highly recommend that movie based just on the last 20 minutes of it.

As kick-ass as the Avengers are, they have been taken down by vastly underpowered heroes and villains. There is a great book where Daredevil takes them out quickly (dropped Cap, Beast, Widow & Hercules) which surprised the heck out of me back then. Yes, writers ultimately can make anyone beat anyone else, but the DD versus Avengers fight read pretty believable to me at the time.
Old 10-07-11, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts

^ Granted that's the weakest line up of the Avengers, making the Great Lakes Avengers look invincible.
Old 10-07-11, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
Didn't Hulk also want to kill Freddie Prinze Jr?

I thought this was a joke until I read Snake's post.
Old 10-07-11, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Description of trailer?

Comic Book Movie

We might get to see Hulk?
Old 10-10-11, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FvpFoDl2USg&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FvpFoDl2USg&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></embed></object>
Old 10-11-11, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

<iframe src="http://blip.tv/play/hqUXgtfqHwI.html" width="480" height="300" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe><embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://a.blip.tv/api.swf#hqUXgtfqHwI" style="display:none"></embed>
Old 10-11-11, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,655 Likes on 1,032 Posts

New trailer here: http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/marvel/avengers/

Aside from the "avenge it" line, looks pretty sweet.
Old 10-11-11, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Hmm. This will have it's colour timing changed in post, right? Because even in motion, the costumes look like crap.

Otherwise, fun trailer.
Old 10-11-11, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Looks awesome! And yeah, the avenge it line seems weird.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.