Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

TRON: ARES (2025, D: Rønning) S: Jared Leto

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

TRON: ARES (2025, D: Rønning) S: Jared Leto

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-15, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
re: TRON: ARES (2025, D: Rønning) S: Jared Leto

Originally Posted by TGM
not really disappointed to be honest.
Amen, Tron 2 sucked and frankly I'd be happy if more lame, unnecessary '80s remakes hoping to cash in on nostalgia and almost always inferior to the originals were called off before the camera started.
Old 05-31-15, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
Tron 2 wasn't the deepest of flicks but neither was the first one. But both movies are such incredible experiences that I can forgive them being that way.
I love the concept and the visuals. Tron 2 was AMAZING on a visual (and audio) level. The story was solid (if unspectacular), and the direction was excellent.

The original Tron was a groundbreaking movie with it's early use of CGI, and the story was a lot of fun.

Tron 3 would have been profitable had it been good (and it easily could have been good).
Old 06-01-15, 07:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TRON Legacy was insanely underrated. Easily one of the best movies to watch in IMAX 3D

Spoiler:

Last edited by Lara Means; 06-01-15 at 07:27 AM.
Old 06-01-15, 07:42 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Cool?

Tron 2 was perfectly rated where it was. I'd argue that where it stands now, it is a bit overrated.

It's got a crap script but good intentions. Solid audio and visuals. Some iffy CGI for certain things. But it's an alright but pretty fun flick.
Old 06-01-15, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM
still hoping for a The Black Hole remake/sequel/prequel.
Hell yeah!

I am disappointed with the Tron news. Sure both movies had their problems but both were a lot of fun for both me and my kid. I still feel that Tron Legacy was the best experience I have had at a 3D IMAX showing.
Old 06-01-15, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

TRON: Legacy wasn't that great...but know what? Neither was the original TRON.

I have no problem with Disney dropping this...it was never officially greenlit to begin with...it was just something being mulled over by the studio. They're probably taking the money they were going to put into this and using it to recoup their probable TOMORROWLAND losses.
Old 06-01-15, 05:37 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Those of us who enjoy Tron and Tron Legacy may have to endure the banal opinions of the majority that dislike the film, but we get the pleasure of being forever vindicated every time someone appropriates these INCREDIBLY influential films. Take a look at the new Taylor Swift video called Bad Blood. It borrows extensively from both films (and a bunch of others). Countless car and motorcycle ads. VH1 uses a Tron inspired bumper for their Totally '80s program block. It's endless.

If I were to listen to the haters I would have no choice but to conclude that Tron and its sequel are the two most influential unpopular movies of all time; which is a strange paradox.
Old 06-01-15, 05:45 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It kind of is though. Just cuz it isn't, as a whole, great doesn't mean it can't influence.
Old 06-01-15, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I liked Legacy despite story issues half way through. The style of the movie is fantastic though. I would have loved a 3rd, so i'm disappointed too.
Old 06-01-15, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Whenever I want to demonstrate home 3D, I put on the lightcycle race from Legacy. Mind blowingly good.
Old 06-02-15, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse
Those of us who enjoy Tron and Tron Legacy may have to endure the banal opinions of the majority that dislike the film, but we get the pleasure of being forever vindicated every time someone appropriates these INCREDIBLY influential films. Take a look at the new Taylor Swift video called Bad Blood. It borrows extensively from both films (and a bunch of others). Countless car and motorcycle ads. VH1 uses a Tron inspired bumper for their Totally '80s program block. It's endless.

If I were to listen to the haters I would have no choice but to conclude that Tron and its sequel are the two most influential unpopular movies of all time; which is a strange paradox.
I'm still surprised people didn't like it. I admit that that the story was weak (bad guy wants to enter the real world and take it over). The story consistency wasn't too strong. How would CLU enter the real world? The machine digitized real world objects, it didn't make digital information flesh and blood. Why would Sam shed real blood in the world of the Grid if he had already been digitized?
But the overall experience was amazing. I never saw the original film but the intro with Sam and his dad talking and seeing all the original Tron posters and toys had a kind of meta-effect that didn't take you out of the film, kinda blurred the line between real world and fiction.

I understand the criticism people have made at this forum because they expect they have a higher bar for SF. But I felt it was a more enjoyable film than say, Prometheus. There were likeable characters in the film, the score was probably one of the best for any film in recent times, the effects, with the exception of Clu, were incredibly done and looked more real for being a computer world than other green screen films, and even the story was told well in my opinion. The director conveyed that sense of nostalgia, not just for the audience, but for the character of Sam and Flynn.
Most of my friends who didn't see the movie in theaters said they didn't want to see it because it was marketed as a Disney film. Do you think that if it wasn't, that it would have been perceived as more serious and got more of the action-film crowd?

I give Konsinki and co props for all that they accomplished with Legacy. I wish the story would have continued but having the original Tron and Legacy is still a pretty good deal.
Old 06-02-15, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
It was really, really, really, really pretty though. Kosinski used to be an architect, and he has that Kubrick-style thing where every shot is worked out with machine-precision.
Old 06-02-15, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by brayzie
I'm still surprised people didn't like it. I admit that that the story was weak (bad guy wants to enter the real world and take it over). The story consistency wasn't too strong. How would CLU enter the real world? The machine digitized real world objects, it didn't make digital information flesh and blood. Why would Sam shed real blood in the world of the Grid if he had already been digitized?
But the overall experience was amazing. I never saw the original film but the intro with Sam and his dad talking and seeing all the original Tron posters and toys had a kind of meta-effect that didn't take you out of the film, kinda blurred the line between real world and fiction.

I understand the criticism people have made at this forum because they expect they have a higher bar for SF. But I felt it was a more enjoyable film than say, Prometheus. There were likeable characters in the film, the score was probably one of the best for any film in recent times, the effects, with the exception of Clu, were incredibly done and looked more real for being a computer world than other green screen films, and even the story was told well in my opinion. The director conveyed that sense of nostalgia, not just for the audience, but for the character of Sam and Flynn.
Most of my friends who didn't see the movie in theaters said they didn't want to see it because it was marketed as a Disney film. Do you think that if it wasn't, that it would have been perceived as more serious and got more of the action-film crowd?

I give Konsinki and co props for all that they accomplished with Legacy. I wish the story would have continued but having the original Tron and Legacy is still a pretty good deal.
The script was a mess. Garrett Hedlund has all of the charm and personality of a dessicated potato. CGI Jeff Bridges was distracting and took you out of the movie. The world as a whole felt small. Where the original seemed expansive and limitless. The visuals were nice but nothing we haven't seen in music videos before.
Old 06-02-15, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I loved Tron 2. Bummed about this.
Old 06-02-15, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts

Was kind of hoping Konsinki would say something about this news.

The online Revive Tron 3 petition about 22 thousand signatures.
Old 06-02-15, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I signed it.... I thought Legacy was a great movie-going experience....
Old 06-02-15, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Thrush
The script was a mess. Garrett Hedlund has all of the charm and personality of a dessicated potato. CGI Jeff Bridges was distracting and took you out of the movie. The world as a whole felt small. Where the original seemed expansive and limitless. The visuals were nice but nothing we haven't seen in music videos before.
I found digitally de-aged Jeff Bridges kind of creepy, to be honest.
Old 06-02-15, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Really disappointed. While Legacy wasn't perfect, I thought it was entertaining and loved the bits of nostalgia. That world has so much potential, hopefully they'll reassess after a few years.
Old 06-02-15, 10:01 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse

While I will not argue with the influence of the original Tron, or its quality as a film (flawed though it may be), I don't see the argument for Legacy. What did Legacy do other than refine the look of the original film? It updated it for a modern audience, but it didn't add anything new or interesting.

Furthermore, being influenced by a film's visuals or sound doesn't mean that the movie you were influenced by was actually good. So, kind of a strange argument to make. And no one here is saying that Tron or Legacy are unpopular, simply that Tron may not be a good film despite its popularity (which I disagree with) and that Legacy is also not a good film despite its popularity (which I agree with).

Originally Posted by brayzie

Better than Prometheus? Talk about damning the film with faint praise!

All that being said, I would still plunk down good money if Disney were to release this on BD with an isolated score. How they didn't think to do that for the first release is mind-boggling.
Old 06-03-15, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet

Better than Prometheus? Talk about damning the film with faint praise!
I wasn't trying to set the bar so low but I brought up Prometheus because that film too was reliant on special effects and SF concepts but...actually, I don't know why I brought that up. That movie's story gets criticized even more, and it's box office sales weren't enough to warrant a sequel right out the gate either.

I forgot that Prometheus didn't do great numbers either.
Old 06-03-15, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Supermallet's hatred of Prometheus is legendary throughout the forum .

Last edited by hanshotfirst1138; 06-03-15 at 02:32 PM.
Old 06-03-15, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

Disney is stuck.. they're a tent pole machine for the foreseeable future.
Old 06-03-15, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts

I guess a Disney exec actually watched Tron: Legacy.
I actually really enjoyed Legacy, particularly from A/V perspective.

And because of the enchanting Olivia Wilde.
Old 06-03-15, 02:25 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Furthermore, being influenced by a film's visuals or sound doesn't mean that the movie you were influenced by was actually good. So, kind of a strange argument to make.
And I said as much in my post. I love both films, but most people don't. Before Legacy the original Tron mostly got shit on by people. It's strange that a film can be highly influential and yet be considered mediocre to bad. Name another film where that has happened.
Old 06-03-15, 06:16 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I thought Tron had quite a good reputation...maybe you're hanging with the wrong people?

Also, Blade Runner was highly influential but considered a bad film for many years until it got critically reappraised.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.