Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

TRON: ARES (D: Rønning) S: Jared Leto

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

TRON: ARES (D: Rønning) S: Jared Leto

Old 01-27-11, 01:51 PM
  #26  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 1,200
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Tron 3 (Legacy sequel) - News, rumors, cast

I believe it will sell very well on Blu-ray/DVD, this is where they will see their profits.
Old 01-27-11, 02:22 PM
  #27  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
arminius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Here I Is!
Posts: 6,967
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Tron 3 (Legacy sequel) - News, rumors, cast

Originally Posted by andy434343 View Post
I believe it will sell very well on Blu-ray/DVD, this is where they will see their profits.
Also will make some money on toys and stuff. I'm just happy to get another movie in this world.
Old 01-27-11, 02:39 PM
  #28  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
sauce07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Centreville, VA
Posts: 6,547
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Re: Tron 3 (Legacy sequel) - News, rumors, cast

It's making a profit due to the way Disney is spreading their tenticles, they now have a reborn franchise. Tron movies, toys, games and the upcoming t.v. show, Tron will make tons of money over the next decade.
Old 01-27-11, 08:16 PM
  #29  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 975
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Tron 3 (Legacy sequel) - News, rumors, cast

Originally Posted by sauce07 View Post
It's making a profit due to the way Disney is spreading their tenticles, they now have a reborn franchise. Tron movies, toys, games and the upcoming t.v. show, Tron will make tons of money over the next decade.
You can take games out of that equation. Tron's video game may have pretty much finished off the Disney Interactive Video Game Division, Propaganda Games. - Disney Interactive not saved by Epic Mickey

fitprod
Old 01-28-11, 02:58 AM
  #30  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Under Golden Gate Bridge
Posts: 10,911
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Tron 3 (Legacy sequel) - News, rumors, cast

Thanks for the info on the TV show. First time I've heard about it. I'm curious if sales of the toys were good since I assume they were available for the past Christmas season.

Thinking about Tron Legacy now, I think TPTB should have added a game or two to the familiar disc and light cycle games.
Old 01-28-11, 06:43 AM
  #31  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Posts: 54,199
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Tron 3 (Legacy sequel) - News, rumors, cast

Elijah Woods is already signed up for the tv show. So you know they want to put their support behind it.

As for games, I'm pretty sure the app they had was a pretty good draw.Besides that, you can't really say TRON's crappy video game killed it. The article clearly states Epic Mickey didn't do what they wanted it to do.
Old 01-28-11, 01:40 PM
  #32  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 975
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Tron 3 (Legacy sequel) - News, rumors, cast

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton View Post
Elijah Woods is already signed up for the tv show. So you know they want to put their support behind it.

As for games, I'm pretty sure the app they had was a pretty good draw.Besides that, you can't really say TRON's crappy video game killed it. The article clearly states Epic Mickey didn't do what they wanted it to do.
Epic Mickey sold 1.6 million units... Tron (Whatever) didn't even crack 300,000. Epic Mickey just couldn't make up for all the other failures, such as the Tron game.

fitprod
Old 02-15-11, 10:19 AM
  #33  
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 89
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Tron 3 (Legacy sequel) - News, rumors, cast

Originally Posted by dan30oly View Post
The only way anyone can justify Legacy as a bomb is if they include the ridiculous $130M marketing costs in with the overall budget - which I don't.
Disney does, and they are the ones who are going to bankroll a future film.

Better way of putting it is, if you had put up the $130M, would you care if you never received it back?

If your numbers are correct, then the movie would have to hit a $600 million worldwide gross, in order to break even. Anything less than that means the movie is in the red.
Old 02-15-11, 01:00 PM
  #34  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
jjcool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: CT
Posts: 7,258
Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts
Re: Tron 3 (Legacy sequel) - News, rumors, cast

Originally Posted by bogrod View Post
Disney does, and they are the ones who are going to bankroll a future film.

Better way of putting it is, if you had put up the $130M, would you care if you never received it back?

If your numbers are correct, then the movie would have to hit a $600 million worldwide gross, in order to break even. Anything less than that means the movie is in the red.
How do you figure 600M worldwide? It is already at 380M for a world wide gross.
Old 02-15-11, 02:48 PM
  #35  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
arminius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Here I Is!
Posts: 6,967
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Tron 3 (Legacy sequel) - News, rumors, cast

Originally Posted by jjcool View Post
How do you figure 600M worldwide? It is already at 380M for a world wide gross.
I think he means 130 million marketing plus 170 million cost equals 600 million to break even.
Hollywood accounting.
Old 02-15-11, 05:35 PM
  #36  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Posts: 4,551
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Tron 3 (Legacy sequel) - News, rumors, cast

Originally Posted by arminius View Post
I think he means 130 million marketing plus 170 million cost equals 600 million to break even.
Hollywood accounting.
Yeah, that's called just..."accounting". If you spend $300 million dollars, you need to make $300M to hit breakeven. Movie studios see on average 50% of the box office, so, that's why people say $600M to hit breakeven.

That being said, movies are neither greenlit nor expected (thoguh certainly studios are pleased if they do) to break even off theatrical receipts. So that's not really the correct measure to judge things by. You have to consider home video, television, and ancillary markets to get the full picture.

When people say "Hollywood accounting", this is usually in reference to the creativity and uniqueness on display in things like this...

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/201...10310122.shtml

Which in reality, has nothing to do with the actual accounting of the studios that shows up in their financials.

As for Tron...I'm still waiting for any official word on the greenlight. I'm hopinng, but still skeptical of these rumors.
Old 02-15-11, 06:50 PM
  #37  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
arminius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Here I Is!
Posts: 6,967
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Tron 3 (Legacy sequel) - News, rumors, cast

Originally Posted by jaeufraser View Post
Yeah, that's called just..."accounting". If you spend $300 million dollars, you need to make $300M to hit breakeven. Movie studios see on average 50% of the box office, so, that's why people say $600M to hit breakeven.

That being said, movies are neither greenlit nor expected (thoguh certainly studios are pleased if they do) to break even off theatrical receipts. So that's not really the correct measure to judge things by. You have to consider home video, television, and ancillary markets to get the full picture.

When people say "Hollywood accounting", this is usually in reference to the creativity and uniqueness on display in things like this...

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/201...10310122.shtml

Which in reality, has nothing to do with the actual accounting of the studios that shows up in their financials.

As for Tron...I'm still waiting for any official word on the greenlight. I'm hopinng, but still skeptical of these rumors.
I see what you're saying but I thought that part of the problems were that theaters only started getting significant profits after a few weeks of the run when box office starts to slip. So they only do well with movies that have legs. Plus as you said the home market and the toys and the like have an impact too. Hoping for Tron III.
Old 02-15-11, 07:39 PM
  #38  
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 89
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Tron 3 (Legacy sequel) - News, rumors, cast

Originally Posted by jaeufraser View Post
That being said, movies are neither greenlit nor expected (thoguh certainly studios are pleased if they do) to break even off theatrical receipts. So that's not really the correct measure to judge things by. You have to consider home video, television, and ancillary markets to get the full picture.
I've read that this is an assumption, but is not (home video sales, ect) taken into account when judging how a film does financially.

Even with that said, is "Tron: Legacy" going to net (and I stress the word 'net') Disney $250 million in pure profit with home video sales? I think that is somewhat doubtful. We have to remember that even if it reaches that point, we're only talking crossing the red into the black, not pulling much of a profit.
Old 02-15-11, 11:56 PM
  #39  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Posts: 4,551
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Tron 3 (Legacy sequel) - News, rumors, cast

Originally Posted by bogrod View Post
I've read that this is an assumption, but is not (home video sales, ect) taken into account when judging how a film does financially.
Naa, it's most definitely true. They look at the full spectrum of ancillary markets, on top of theatrical. An interesting fact but, quite frankly, most films don't make any profit theatrically. Period. Even films that make tons of profit, some of the highest grossing films out there...don't make money theatrically. Which is fine since that's not how they are planned. Theatrical these days is what, 30-40% of the pot? Would seem silly to judge a product's financial success off less than half its revenue.

Last edited by jaeufraser; 02-16-11 at 12:17 AM.
Old 02-16-11, 12:15 AM
  #40  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Posts: 4,551
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Tron 3 (Legacy sequel) - News, rumors, cast

Originally Posted by arminius View Post
I see what you're saying but I thought that part of the problems were that theaters only started getting significant profits after a few weeks of the run when box office starts to slip.
While it is definitely true that studios see a much higher percentage early on, those percentages are a bit deceptive. A studio receives 90%, say, of the films grosses in week one. But that's 90% of a net number, not 90% of the box office. So the theaters take out expenses, and other elements (I believe the common term is called the house-nut for all that), THEN apply the percentage. So what you're saying is true, but it's not as bad as it sounds for the theater owners.
Old 02-17-11, 04:06 PM
  #41  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
jjcool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: CT
Posts: 7,258
Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts
Re: Tron 3 (Legacy sequel) - News, rumors, cast

Originally Posted by arminius View Post
I think he means 130 million marketing plus 170 million cost equals 600 million to break even.
Hollywood accounting.
So to break even, a movie has to make double what it cost? Wouldnt a break even point, be the point where the costs even out with what it made?
Old 02-17-11, 06:39 PM
  #42  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Carrollton, Ga
Posts: 4,809
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Tron 3 (Legacy sequel) - News, rumors, cast

Didn't like Legacy at all, so I think I'll pass.
Old 02-17-11, 11:13 PM
  #43  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Posts: 4,551
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Tron 3 (Legacy sequel) - News, rumors, cast

Originally Posted by jjcool View Post
So to break even, a movie has to make double what it cost? Wouldnt a break even point, be the point where the costs even out with what it made?
$600M box office = $300M revenue to the movie studio. So you're right, breakeven point is when revenue equals costs...but since they don't get all of the box office, you have to make a lot more at the box office to breakeven theatrically.

Fortunately, you can turn a profit without breaking even theatrically since there's lots more money to be made elsewhere.
Old 04-05-11, 08:29 PM
  #44  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 4,011
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Tron 3 (Legacy sequel) - News, rumors, cast

Mike Flemming of Deadline Hollywood reports that there is work being done on a sequel and that Disney is happy with Tron: Legacy's receipts. LINK
Old 04-06-11, 05:20 AM
  #45  
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,503
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Tron 3 (Legacy sequel) - News, rumors, cast

I certainly hope they make a sequel.
Old 04-06-11, 09:27 AM
  #46  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 44,129
Received 765 Likes on 621 Posts
Re: Tron 3 (Legacy sequel) - News, rumors, cast

Tron Legacy started off great and then proceeded to get worse and worse, still I'd watch a sequel.
Old 04-06-11, 03:07 PM
  #47  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Posts: 4,551
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Tron 3 (Legacy sequel) - News, rumors, cast

Originally Posted by gmanca View Post
Mike Flemming of Deadline Hollywood reports that there is work being done on a sequel and that Disney is happy with Tron: Legacy's receipts. LINK

I imaginie Tron 3 isn't going to get an official grenlight unless 1) the video sells above expectation or 2) the TV show does amazing business or c) all of the above.

I'm hopeful...go buy the blu-ray or DVD. The movie streets today...if it can pull a Tangled and sell way above expectation we could see a greenlight sooner than later. If it doesn't...well, go back to not holding your breath.

Last edited by jaeufraser; 04-06-11 at 03:14 PM.
Old 04-07-11, 08:26 AM
  #48  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 37,511
Received 147 Likes on 116 Posts
Re: Tron 3 (Legacy sequel) - News, rumors, cast

I don't get the hate the sequel got. Even as a kid, I knew the only redeeming qualities of the original were the visuals and the music. The plot, dialogue, direction, and (except for David Warner) the acting were all terrible. Although that last problem I feel is directly linked to the poor direction. It's even more obvious when I watched it again yesterday. The only place left to go was up.

Although flawed, Tron Legacy was a vast improvement over Tron in every regard. My only issue was that Tron himself had even less to do in this film than in the first. Still, that can be rectified in a sequel and I'd gladly watch one.
Old 04-07-11, 06:08 PM
  #49  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Posts: 13,571
Likes: 0
Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts
Re: Tron 3 (Legacy sequel) - News, rumors, cast

I thought the actual Tron character was a huge waste in Legacy. I wouldn't mind getting rid of him and just focusing the other 2 heroes from Legacy.
Old 04-07-11, 08:26 PM
  #50  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 37,511
Received 147 Likes on 116 Posts
Re: Tron 3 (Legacy sequel) - News, rumors, cast

Well Tron really wasn't in Legacy at all beyond that flashback cameo.
Spoiler:
Sure there was Rinsler but I count that as a separate character entirely.
But then, I found him to be more a pointless sidekick in the original. I was just hoping they'd've made him worthy of being the titular character in the sequel. Hopefully the third movie will finally allow him to shine in a better capacity.

Last edited by RocShemp; 04-07-11 at 09:09 PM.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.