Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Independence Day: Resurgence (2016, D: Emmerich)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 03-30-10, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://boxoffice.com/thenews/2010/03...ndence-day.php
Old 03-30-10, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
re: Independence Day Parts 2 & 3 (D: Emmerich)

No thank you.
Old 03-30-10, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 128 Likes on 94 Posts

Thanksgiving Day - The Aliens Return.
Old 03-30-10, 11:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So will the plot of Independence Day Parts 2 and 3 go something like this?

In 2012, A Patriot and a Universal Soldier will travel through a Stargate on Independence Day and arrive at their destination (the year 10,000 B.C.) the Day After Tomorrow and battle Godzilla.
Old 03-30-10, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,060 Likes on 575 Posts

That would rock!

The proposed movies will certainly not.
Old 03-30-10, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 362 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by SkipKassidy
In 2012, A Patriot and a Universal Soldier will travel through a Stargate on Independence Day and arrive at their destination (the year 10,000 B.C.) the Day After Tomorrow and battle Godzilla.
Quick. Someone contact Jason Friedberg and Aaron Seltzer.

With the 'common man's' familiarity with computers, I hope they somehow address how the Mac brought down the alien spacecraft.

I never jump on board for Roland Emmerich's proposed movies. But they usually turn out to be a lot of fun.

And Independence Day and 2012 proves that he can keep pushing the envelope further and further with the "doomsday" effects. Nobody else is really creating such big, grand effects like that.

So is there going to be a half-built White House that gets blown up again? Awe, hell naw.
Old 03-30-10, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

I'll all for it! But I can't believe those aliens are coming back for revenge! Wow now this is news.
Old 03-30-10, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

The only thing shocking about this would be how long it's taken to do it given how many other crap sequels have been done since 1996.
Old 03-30-10, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I would watch them
Old 03-30-10, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,430 Likes on 912 Posts

Independence Day II: They're back. And this time they've got Norton Antivirus.
Old 03-30-10, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

H.G. Wells never wrote a sequel to "War of the Worlds", where will they get their loose inspiration from for these movies?
Old 03-30-10, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

It would be cool if they did something where Earth has rebuilt itself, but now with incorporated alien technology thanks to Goldblum's continuing work, even though he's gone nuts/recluse. That way, when the aliens do arrive, it's not just some disaster movie, but an actual sci-fi epic. Having President Whitmore in a 6-term presidency would be interesting as well.
Old 03-30-10, 05:03 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Danger
Independence Day II: They're back. And this time they've got Norton Antivirus.
I dunno why...but I'm laughing hard off of that.
Old 03-30-10, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Someone on Fark posted this as an idea for the 2nd movie. I'd actually watch it.

I'd set it in say, 10-15 years after the first one.

Mankind is still dealing with the fallout. New cities are bing built near where the old ones were, or even on top of the reclaimed ruins. New towns are also built, as people get very nervious living in such large groups now.

There are still aliens, mainly survivors from the ships or fighters, who basically hide out and lash out when necessary in a sort of guerrilla existence. Huge bounties are placed on recovering them alive, or dead. Governments fear them trying to send out signals to the rest of their people, if there are any.

Scientists have also spent the last 15 years trying to reverse engineer the now active alien technology. Some new forms of power generation and propulsion are already up and running, leading to new military and NASA space craft / aircraft. Work on the alien weapons and shields is slow though, as the surviving aliens are no help and the technology is so different from our own.

World power structure has changed due to the massive loss of life and military infrastructure. A UN/NATO like organization is now in charge of defense against future alien attacks, as well as maintaining the peace in many parts of the world.

Organizations like SETI, once laughed at, now have massive funding, with the goal or detecting and warning about future alien threats, usual what we know of the aliens communication technology.

after about 15-20 minues of setup, the main arc starts when SETI detects what it believes are several new alien signals, each subtlety different. One set matches the comm signals used by the invaders, while others appear to be different. Officials believe one might be the remains of the defeated race, perhaps their civilian population who normally would have followed the military invasion.

The others they believe may be additional races trying to contact us or inquire about the situation, but humanity is having difficulty understanding the signals without knowing the basis for the alien languages or communication technology.

they do calculate the distance to the signal, and find out it's coming from just outside the termination shock. At current speeds, the first signal, believed to be another mother ship, will arrive in less then 5 months. the other signal is also near, about 1/4th a light year and closing, but won't arrive before the other.

humanity shifts into defense mode, and really starts to gear up for another assault. huge sections of the population are drafted into militia, including Wil's son, now a grown man. aircraft production, and all sorts of weapons increase production, and scientists race to finish work on alien weapons and shields, as well as countermeasures. It seems all these years worth of research and preparation are going to come into use.

In the final arc, before the ship arrives, the surviving aliens launch an all out guerrilla war, hoping to knock out some defenses or soften areas. Not expecting this, some areas are overrun, and humanity races to dislodge the aliens and retatke those areas.

Alas, there just isn't enough time. When the ship arrives, it immediately dispatches invasion ships like those we saw at the end of the first movie. Human defense sats, hastily constructed after the first war, do lots of damage, but are unable to destroy all the ships, and many get though. SAM's and AA guns tear into them as they fly though the atmosphere, again exacting a heavy toll.

some make it down though, and now humanity faces a ground war against an alien foe.

Movie ends around there, When SETI finally manages to understand the other alien comm signal, and realizes it translates to something roughly as 'Endure. You are not alone'.

First sequel ends with humanity in a massive ground war, and awaiting, what we hope, is alien reinforcements.
Old 03-30-10, 05:42 PM

That's a pretty good fan made outline.

I'd change one thing though. At the end some human scientists manage to decode the opening part of the alien signals which says 'TO SERVE MAN' - to which the human race rejoices. 'To Be Continued...'
Old 03-30-10, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,147 Likes on 1,212 Posts

Originally Posted by wildcatlh
Someone on Fark posted this as an idea for the 2nd movie. I'd actually watch it.
Yeah, wow, that actually doesn't suck.
Old 03-30-10, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It needs to be a plot like that, otherwise..............

Old 03-30-10, 06:12 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jfoobar
Yeah, wow, that actually doesn't suck.
damn....I'd watch that.
Old 03-30-10, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,430 Likes on 912 Posts

I'd watch that.

But without people (or dogs) outrunning explosions every twelve minutes, the movie wouldn't sell tickets.
Old 03-30-10, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Nick Danger
I'd watch that.

But without people (or dogs) outrunning explosions every twelve minutes, the movie wouldn't sell tickets.
What if the 2nd group of aliens coming to help were space-dogs? Whenever the bug looking aliens tried to kill them, they'd dodge/outrun the explosion. It'd be epic!
Old 03-30-10, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

No David Arnold, no deal, and this is one of my all-time favorite movies.
Old 03-30-10, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wildcatlh
Wow. That sounds awesome. I really wish some studio exec would see that and put something like that into motion, could really be great. Too bad we won't see something like that...ever.
Old 03-30-10, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would watch an Independence Day sequel.. weren't they calling it "ID4" for a while?
Old 03-30-10, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Id42
Old 03-30-10, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 598 Likes on 462 Posts

ID5. It takes place the next day though everyone has aged over 10 years.

But seriously that fan outline is great.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.