DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Best Film by original SNL Actors (Ackroyd, Murray, Belushi, Chase) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/571202-best-film-original-snl-actors-ackroyd-murray-belushi-chase.html)

Buttmunker 03-22-10 11:23 AM

Best Film by original SNL Actors (Ackroyd, Murray, Belushi, Chase)

Naturally, they're all comedies. Some were directed by Ivan Reitman, some by Harold Ramis and John Landis. All great in their own way, some became classics, yet some could have been different with certain other actors cast in the roles.

Chevy Chase never starred with John Belushi.
John Belushi never starred with Bill Murray.

Not an original actor from SNL, but Eddie Murphy was thought of for a role in Ghostbusters (that eventually went to Ernie Hudson), but Murphy was committed to Beverly Hills Cop at the time. And everyone knows that John Belushi was going to be Dr. Peter Veckman, but his sudden demise squashed that (the role went to Bill Murray).

However, Belushi's and Ackroyd's absences from Caddyshack was ominous - Ramis dropped that ball, considering John Landis used the two in 1979's The Blues Brothers. Can't have too much of a good thing, you ask me.

rw2516 03-22-10 11:30 AM

Re: Best Film by original SNL Actors (Ackroyd, Murray, Belushi, Chase)

Best-Animal House

NORML54601 03-22-10 11:32 AM

Gotta go with Stripes

dan30oly 03-22-10 11:40 AM

Ghostbusters

Talkin2Phil 03-22-10 11:41 AM

Bill Murray isn't an original NRFPTP he joined in '77

I voted for animal house.

naitram 03-22-10 11:43 AM

caddyshack

Troy Stiffler 03-22-10 11:44 AM

Damn. I've caught bits and parts of most of those movies. But I've only ever 'actually' watched Trading Places (on TV), Ghostbusters (dur) and Blues Brothers (yay).

I guess that I would vote Blues Brothers.

Never knew that trivia about Belushi as Venkman.

Numanoid 03-22-10 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Buttmunker (Post 10063363)
However, Belushi's and Ackroyd's absences from Caddyshack was ominous - Ramis dropped that ball, considering John Landis used the two in 1979's The Blues Brothers. Can't have too much of a good thing, you ask me.

I should have read your post before selecting Caddyshack, one of the funniest films of all time. Now that I know Landis dropped the ball on it, can I change my answer to Nothing But Trouble (Chase, Aykroyd)?

Groucho 03-22-10 12:09 PM

Other: Quick Change

The Infidel 03-22-10 12:19 PM

It may not be one of the highest grossing SNL movies, but I enjoyed Coneheads immensely. It's a funny movie, and a smorgasbord of early and later SNL cast members:

Dan Aykroyd, Jane Curtin, Chris Farley, Phil Hartman, Adam Sandler, David Spade, Michael McKean, Kevin Nealon, Jan Hooks, Julia Sweeney, Garrett Morris, Tom Davis, Laraine Newman, Tim Meadows and Jon Lovitz.

Buttmunker 03-22-10 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Talkin2Phil (Post 10063390)
Bill Murray isn't an original NRFPTP he joined in '77

I voted for animal house.

By "original," I meant the first five years of the show.

Hokeyboy 03-22-10 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho (Post 10063448)

Don't know if this is your usual sarcasm or not, but this is easily Murray's funniest movie. :up:

I voted ANIMAL HOUSE, but I could have easily gone TRADING PLACES or CADDYSHACK.

Buttmunker 03-22-10 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Numanoid (Post 10063441)
I should have read your post before selecting Caddyshack, one of the funniest films of all time. Now that I know Landis dropped the ball on it, can I change my answer to Nothing But Trouble (Chase, Aykroyd)?

Talk about sarcasm. :)

Groucho 03-22-10 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy (Post 10063499)
Don't know if this is your usual sarcasm or not, but this is easily Murray's funniest movie. :up:

Quick Change is one of my favorite comedies of all time. "It's bad luck just seeing a thing like that."

Michael Corvin 03-22-10 12:59 PM

Spies Like Us is my all time favorite comedy so that gets my vote(even though it doesn't stand a chance). Behind that though:

1. Spies Like Us
2. Ghostbusters
3. Three Amigos
4. Blues Brothers
5. Vacation

I've been wanting to see a poll that pitts these films against other SNL era's.

NORML54601 03-22-10 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by The Infidel (Post 10063480)
It may not be one of the highest grossing SNL movies, but I enjoyed Coneheads immensely. It's a funny movie, and a smorgasbord of early and later SNL cast members:

Dan Aykroyd, Jane Curtin, Chris Farley, Phil Hartman, Adam Sandler, David Spade, Michael McKean, Kevin Nealon, Jan Hooks, Julia Sweeney, Garrett Morris, Tom Davis, Laraine Newman, Tim Meadows and Jon Lovitz.

One of my favorite guilty pleasures

Travis McClain 03-22-10 01:15 PM

Seeing this list actually exposes something for me. I like the idea of that era for those actors more than I actually like the movies they made. I suppose Caddyshack holds up pretty well, but I re-watched Ghostbusters in '09 and discovered my favorite thing about it is just Ray Parker's song. Never cared much for Chevy Chase's style of comedy, and even though I enjoy a good frat movie every now and again, Animal House never did much for me, either. Still haven't seen Blues Brothers, though.

Numanoid 03-22-10 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho (Post 10063508)
Quick Change is one of my favorite comedies of all time. "It's bad luck just seeing a thing like that."

Nope. We still can't tell.

Numanoid 03-22-10 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by MinLShaw (Post 10063590)
I re-watched Ghostbusters in '09 and discovered my favorite thing about it is just <s>Ray Parker's</s> Huey Lewis' song.

Fixed.

FantasticVSDoom 03-22-10 02:29 PM

Voted for Ghostbusters, but Blues Brothers would have been a close second... And another one who thought Coneheads was pretty funny as well.

hasslein 03-22-10 02:30 PM

1. Quick Change
2. Caddyshack
3. Blues Brothers
4. 1941

Fist of Doom 03-22-10 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho (Post 10063448)

Randy Quaid didn't join SNL until the 80's. -ohbfrank-

FRwL 03-22-10 03:03 PM

I have a real soft spot for Three Amigos! The one i like most from my birthyear. One of the funniest moments ever was Steve Martin trying to get to his dumb as box pals attention by covering it with bird calls.

"kawww HEY wooo woo hey HEY yoo hoo hoo WAAAAH kawww KAWWW LOOK UP HERE LOOK UP HERE"

Supermallet 03-22-10 05:03 PM

There are some real classics in that list, but for my money Ghostbusters stands up as the most cohesive and enjoyable (and imaginative) of them.

OldBoy 03-22-10 05:08 PM

if we are including Murray then Lost in Translation.

if not, then Ackroyd with Grosse Point Blank,as Caddyshack would be out of running. close second is Ghostbusters.