Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2009 & 2012 editions)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2009 & 2012 editions)

Old 12-20-11, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Re: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2009 & 2012 editions)

Seen a sneak last night and thought is was really good, but I haven't seen the original or read the book (if that matters). I was a little taken aback by the brutality, and glad my daughter decided not to go to the screening. I was surprised by the negative comments overheard leaving the theater, at least 2 or 3 that vocally disliked the movie.
Old 12-20-11, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

some reviews have said that the swedish version of the movie is actually more brutal in some aspects (and did get an R rating from the MPAA). Those reviews have also said that this version is a bit overtly long
Old 12-20-11, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,202 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by jfoobar
Ebert gives it 3 1/2/4
Berardinelli gives it 4/4 (although his review has not been posted yet)
Here is Berardinelli's review:

http://www.reelviews.net/php_review_...dentifier=2398

He indicated on Twitter that it is the first 4-star review he has written in two years.
Old 12-20-11, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I might go see it tonight. There's a 7pm showing at an Edwards Theater, that has $5 seats all day Sundays & Tuesdays.
Old 12-20-11, 09:55 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
some reviews have said that the swedish version of the movie is actually more brutal in some aspects (and did get an R rating from the MPAA). Those reviews have also said that this version is a bit overtly long
no kidding and I thought it was the martini and margarita I had before the movie - klonk! out like a light... no but seriously, I really liked Fincher's version, although it now compels me to watch the extended version of the Swedish version, and see how much Fincher added, supposedly the ending was retinkered (from what I had read in Entertainment Weekly). Loved the score and soundmix!
Old 12-20-11, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 293 Likes on 213 Posts

Just got back. Loved it. Yeah, it's long. But not once did I look at my watch. And I loved the way Fincher tinkered with the ending. Huge fan of the Swedish version (my favorite movie that year). And this is just as good. Also, Rooney absolutely nailed the part of Lisbeth. I think Noomi would be approve
Old 12-20-11, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by Daytripper
Just got back. Loved it. Yeah, it's long. But not once did I look at my watch. And I loved the way Fincher tinkered with the ending. Huge fan of the Swedish version (my favorite movie that year). And this is just as good. Also, Rooney absolutely nailed the part of Lisbeth. I think Noomi would be approve
yet the ending sounds pretty true to the book (according to wiki's synopsis) sans the post script scene
Old 12-20-11, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

yes it was good, a bit uneven/messy but full of powerful moments. when the film became almost like Hostel, that was surprising. It made you feel hopeless about the power evil has. maybe Lisbeths character was too unstoppable is my only problem. but for nearly 3 hours it was pretty absorbing
Old 12-21-11, 06:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Really loved this movie. Enjoyed the Swedish version, but this one covered so much more ground and I thought more effectively. Even though I knew the story well, I was completely engrossed. Really liked some of the tweaks. I don't think I've seen a book I've read translated so well. (and I liked the altered ending.) How soon before they announce part 2?
Old 12-21-11, 01:37 PM
Banned

Why do people keep saying they like the "altered ending"?

It's the book's ending. It's the actual ending to the story.
Old 12-21-11, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 745 Likes on 545 Posts

I don't even remember the original's ending. I need to go back and revisit that film.
Old 12-21-11, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by CloverClover
yes it was good, a bit uneven/messy but full of powerful moments. when the film became almost like Hostel, that was surprising. It made you feel hopeless about the power evil has. maybe Lisbeths character was too unstoppable is my only problem. but for nearly 3 hours it was pretty absorbing
Exactly my feelings. Good overall but there were times it felt uneven. I didn't like that Lisbeth almost came off as a superhero with the way she could quickly put things together, took away from the harsh reality of the story. It also started off a bit slow but once things got going I couldn't look away.

Rooney Mara was fantastic. Never saw the Swedish version though, so I can't compare her to the other actress.

I'll have to give this another view in a few months but right now I'd rank it behind Social Network, Fight Club, Seven and Zodiac as far as David Fincher movies go.
Old 12-21-11, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i actually really didn't find it that long at all. and i saw a midnight screening too. Fincher imo did a better job at telling the same story.

Oh and the opening credit scene is probably the best i've seen since well Fight Club
Old 12-21-11, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
i actually really didn't find it that long at all. and i saw a midnight screening too. Fincher imo did a better job at telling the same story.

Oh and the opening credit scene is probably the best i've seen since well Fight Club
it's like for a very dark twisted Bond flick.
Old 12-21-11, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo

I think when people say that, including myself they mean the resolution of the Harriet plotline- not literally the ending- forgive me.
Old 12-21-11, 02:38 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

They must mean the unaltered ending, then, because I can only presume it's different than the ending of the Swedish version.
Old 12-21-11, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

The same people that were calling this movie a "remake"
Old 12-21-11, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo
How did the book end?

The Fincher film ended with...
Spoiler:
Lisbeth taking a gift to Blomkvist only to find him going out with Erika. And she then throws the gift in the trash and leaves feeling heart broken.
Spoiler:
Actually, the uncut Swedish film also has that scene (minus the gift) although not right at the very end.

I haven't seen the Fincher film yet but I can hardly wait.
Old 12-21-11, 07:09 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Goat3001
I didn't like that Lisbeth almost came off as a superhero with the way she could quickly put things together, took away from the harsh reality of the story.

Well, Lisbeth is written to be a sort of feminist superhero. This becomes more apparent in the second and third books where the stories become increasingly outlandish with James Bond-ish henchmen and the entirety of Sweden, it seems, out to get her.
Old 12-21-11, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This made $1.6 mil on Tuesday.
Old 12-21-11, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Pizza the Hutt
Well, Lisbeth is written to be a sort of feminist superhero. This becomes more apparent in the second and third books where the stories become increasingly outlandish with James Bond-ish henchmen and the entirety of Sweden, it seems, out to get her.
I never read the books but I assumed that was the case. Doesn't mean that I wouldn't have the same criticism if I read the book.
Old 12-21-11, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The opening credits were great - the most Fincher part of the film. I thought it was extremely well done, but the differences between this and the Swedish film are very subtle for the first 2 hours or so... It's like seeing a stand-up comic who tells a joke that kills. Then you see another comic, who has better delivery and great timing, but he tells the same joke. There are subtle differences and things that make it seem better, but underneath it all, it's still the same punchline. I thought this version handled Lisbeth a bit better, but thought the Swedish film had more tension in the mystery aspect of the film... This one didn't play up the thrills of the mystery nearly as well and didn't hold a candle to Zodiac in that respect.... however this one LOOKED better than the original, with great shots throughout.

It's a tough film for me though, because there wasn't something that made it decidedly BETTER than the version that came before it - and as a Fincher film, that's something I expect to find - that thing that just makes it a masterpiece. It was really good, but it wasn't that. I'm sure he'd do better with the next two since those Swedish ones weren't nearly as well made as the first flick. 4/5
Old 12-21-11, 09:02 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I really liked it. Rooney Mara totally knocked it out of the park. The opening titles reminded me that Fincher used to be a music video director. I never got around to seeing the second and third Swedish films, but I would totally see at least one sequel if Rooney Mara comes back.
Old 12-21-11, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

For a film with a 160 minute runtime, it breezed by like a 100 minute film, pretty much a hallmark of a David Fincher film with impeccable pacing, even though it covers a lot of territory and still manages to give room to develop the 2 main characters, Mikael Blomkvist (Daniel Craig) and Lisbeth Salander (Rooney Mara), as well as the central mystery dropped in Blomkvist's lap as his professional career as an investigative reporter goes into the crapper.

Salander is a ward of the state who is an excellent hacker and investigator of her own, although she projects an alternative persona (aura of a gothy suicide girl) with a violent streak in her formative years. Salander's world goes terribly bad when her guardian suffers a debilitating illness, and a state-appointed shrink preys on her need for funds from her trust by subjecting her to coerced sexual acts.

Eventually Blomkvist and Salander are paired up when he is in need of an investigator to follow up on the clues and photos he's gathered as part of an investigation to the murders from over 40 years ago on the behest of a wealthy man, Henrik Vanger, who lives on an island with many of his rich relatives.

The opening credit sequences was a little over-the-top, but you won't forget it all too quickly.

Having seen the original Swedish version, it's almost impossible for me to not compare the 2 versions, but I think they are both very solid films, and I think I still prefer Noomi Rapace's portrayal of Salander, as Rapace had a more haunting quality to her portrayal than Rooney Mara, but I think Mara may have awakened within me a latent fondness for gothy suicide girls. (heh). I also think the original did a little better job of developing the investigational aspects of the mystery, but Fincher keeps everything moving, and has no problem heightening the feelings of dread and consequence as this story unfolds and our characters find themselves in perilous situations.

Well worth seeing at the theaters.

I give it 3.75 stars, or a grade of A-.

Last edited by Patman; 12-21-11 at 11:49 PM.
Old 12-21-11, 10:32 PM
Banned

Yep this was Fantastic. I really liked the original and the book but Fincher made a freakin great film. The FIncher version really did just about everything better than the swedish version except it didnt have Noomi Rapace. Now thats not a knock on Rooney Mara who is good here and interesting and really just a different take on the character than in the Swedish film but you cant really compete with Rapace.
Great great film. This has gotta win best score at the Oscars this year. Best score of the year easily.
Oh and the credits kicked enormous amounts of ass. Why cant more films have kick-ass credit sequences like that?
A-

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.