Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2009 & 2012 editions)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2009 & 2012 editions)

Old 03-27-10, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 281 Likes on 206 Posts
Re: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2009 & 2012 editions)

What....a....GREAT....film!!!! I loved every single second of it. And did not want it to end. I didn't read the book so I didn't a clue what to expect. It's definitely going to be the one to beat for my favorite movie of the year. Everyone in the film was great but the lead actress was spectacular.
Old 03-28-10, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,005 Likes on 798 Posts

Originally Posted by Daytripper
What....a....GREAT....film!!!! I loved every single second of it. And did not want it to end. I didn't read the book so I didn't a clue what to expect. It's definitely going to be the one to beat for my favorite movie of the year. Everyone in the film was great but the lead actress was spectacular.
It saddens me to hear the sequels aren't nearly as good ... at the same time, I can't wait to watch them.

Edit: Saw part of the first sequel ... it is definitely lacking in the cinematography department, almost looks like it was shot for TV.

Last edited by RichC2; 03-31-10 at 07:18 PM.
Old 04-14-10, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I saw the first one last night and loved it!!!! It opens in Columbus this Friday at The Drexel Theater. As mentioned, great character development, acting, pacing. Even at 2.5 hours it goes quick. Has a mystery/suspense vibe similar to "Tell No One". Looking forward to the sequels (even if they aren't as good), which will play at the Drexel later this year.
Old 04-14-10, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by woofman
I saw the first one last night and loved it!!!! It opens in Columbus this Friday at The Drexel Theater. As mentioned, great character development, acting, pacing. Even at 2.5 hours it goes quick. Has a mystery/suspense vibe similar to "Tell No One". Looking forward to the sequels (even if they aren't as good), which will play at the Drexel later this year.
You nailed it! Would make an excellent double feature with "Tell No One". Another film I love
Old 04-18-10, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I saw this last Tuesday and just thought it was ok. I finished the book days before and loved it, and while the movie told the story adequately I couldn't help but compare it to the book throughout the entire movie, making me sad that they had to cut out so much. Understandable given the length of the book, but still disappointing. Especially the elimination of a lot of the Vanger family members and Mikeal's relationship or interactions with them.

I'm surprised at the graphic nature of some of the scenes, as I went in wondering how they were going to depict them being used to the more toned down nature of movies in the US.

Spoiler:
Watching Lisbeth mime a blowjob and then bust out a dildo was quite the surprise.
Old 04-18-10, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I saw this last Tuesday and just thought it was ok. I finished the book days before and loved it, and while the movie told the story adequately I couldn't help but compare it to the book throughout the entire movie, making me sad that they had to cut out so much. Understandable given the length of the book, but still disappointing. Especially the elimination of a lot of the Vanger family members and Mikeal's relationship or interactions with them.

I'm surprised at the graphic nature of some of the scenes, as I went in wondering how they were going to depict them being used to the more toned down nature of movies in the US.

Spoiler:
Watching Lisbeth mime a blowjob and then bust out a dildo was quite the surprise.
You rated the movie just "o.k."!? Because it couldn't cover everything in the book? How about rating the movie as a movie and not what the book left out. The film was 2.5 hours as is. There are not too many books made into movies that have been able to cover everything in the book. As a film, it was extremely well made (ie, directed), the performances were stellar. Especially the lead actress. I didn't read the book yet, and based on just what I saw on the screen, I thought the movie was outstanding.
Old 04-18-10, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

You rated the movie just "o.k."!? Because it couldn't cover everything in the book? How about rating the movie as a movie and not what the book left out. The film was 2.5 hours as is. There are not too many books made into movies that have been able to cover everything in the book. As a film, it was extremely well made (ie, directed), the performances were stellar. Especially the lead actress. I didn't read the book yet, and based on just what I saw on the screen, I thought the movie was outstanding.
Did you ignore the part that you quoted where I said " Understandable given the length of the book, but still disappointing" concerning what was cut and the length? I already explained that I finished the book literally days before watching the movie; pretty impossible to not compare the two given how fresh it is in my mind.

Regardless, outside of Lisbeth, I don't think the rest of the performances stood out particularly spectacular. I'm only part way through the 2nd book, so I'm guessing they spoiled a bit of her past too since that was never revealed in the first book, only hinted at. And since they changed a lot of Mikeal's interaction with the family, a lot of the reveal and discoveries that he goes through are skipped or altered making me feel that the final climax was a bit rushed.

I can see how someone who hadn't read the book would be vested in how the mystery unfolds, but since I already knew the outcome all that would be left is to see how the movie portrays it. Glad you loved it, but I don't see why you seem so outraged.
Old 04-19-10, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Did you ignore the part that you quoted where I said " Understandable given the length of the book, but still disappointing" concerning what was cut and the length? I already explained that I finished the book literally days before watching the movie; pretty impossible to not compare the two given how fresh it is in my mind.

Regardless, outside of Lisbeth, I don't think the rest of the performances stood out particularly spectacular. I'm only part way through the 2nd book, so I'm guessing they spoiled a bit of her past too since that was never revealed in the first book, only hinted at. And since they changed a lot of Mikeal's interaction with the family, a lot of the reveal and discoveries that he goes through are skipped or altered making me feel that the final climax was a bit rushed.

I can see how someone who hadn't read the book would be vested in how the mystery unfolds, but since I already knew the outcome all that would be left is to see how the movie portrays it. Glad you loved it, but I don't see why you seem so outraged.
Outraged!? That's a bit dramatic. No, I was just perplexed how you could rate the movie so poorly because it didn't include the entire book. And FWIW, almost everyone I sent to see this film (who all loved it btw), said they liked Michael Nyqvist's performance as much if not if not better than Noomi Rapace's. If you thought this movie was just o.k., I can't wait to hear what you think of the second film. Which I thought was not very good at all. In spite of it's incredible story.
Old 04-19-10, 01:09 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't seen the "Dragon Tattoo" yet but want to. I read somewhere that the director of that one wasn't involved with the last two and that they were made for television, the Swedish equivalent of PBS. That could explain why certain things were left out and the drop in quality. They only got theatrical releases when the books were a hit internationally.
Old 04-20-10, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I watched both the first two movies recently and really enjoyed them. Looking forward to seeing the third one. I can see them doing an ok remake of this as the stories are what really make them (as long as they don't screw around with the stories too much) and it would have been a perfect role for Aneglina Jolie 10 years ago...but she is too old now. Still reading that Kristen Stewart wants the role is not good.
Old 04-23-10, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Finally get to see the movie tonight. Also glad to see that as of last week, its still making money (and even increasing) its totals each week. Its made over 3 mil bucks thus far.
Old 04-24-10, 02:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Thus far this is my movie of the year. a very enjoyable ride that didn't nearly feel like 2.5 hours. Got a question though
Spoiler:
why does Lisbeth end up sleeping with Blonquist? to me it seemed out of character. maybe the book explains it better?
Highly recommended if its playing in your town. Also the theater i saw it at was quite packed even though this is the 4th week its been out in baltimore
Old 04-24-10, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
Thus far this is my movie of the year. a very enjoyable ride that didn't nearly feel like 2.5 hours. Got a question though
Spoiler:
why does Lisbeth end up sleeping with Blonquist? to me it seemed out of character. maybe the book explains it better?
Highly recommended if its playing in your town. Also the theater i saw it at was quite packed even though this is the 4th week its been out in baltimore
Yeah, their relationship is explained a bit better in the book -

Spoiler:
In the book, there's a few differences in their relationship. First, Lisbeth is portrayed as more of a head case; she doesn't respond well to people (they show this briefly in the movie when she first meets the lawyer Frode in the movie and answers his questions tersely) and because of her tattoos, piercings, looks, is used to being an outcast and treated as a freak. She has a guardian because she's been institutionalized and they think she isn't all there mentally.

While Lisbeth researching Blomkvist is the same in the movie, in the book he enlists her help in a different manner rather then her just showing up and helping him out of her own interest; he realizes he needs help researching the bible verses, so he actually finds out the she's the person that did the research on him the begin with. He surprises her by showing up at her apartment and asking for her help; throughout their partnership, he treats her like a normal person rather then a freak which confuses her and makes her wonder about her feelings for him

Last edited by fumanstan; 04-24-10 at 10:21 AM.
Old 04-24-10, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Spoiler:
So glad to hear this movie is doing well. It was number #12 at the box-office this past weekend. I'm still sending people to see it. Also, the movie certainly felt like 2.5 hours to me. Why? Because this dumb ass drank a large drink sitting there watching it. And I had to take a leak so bad but I couldn't leave. This is a movie you can miss a single scene (IMO). That's the only reason it felt long to me I actually didn't want the movie to end.
Old 04-24-10, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So glad to hear this movie is doing well. It was number #12 at the box-office this past weekend. I'm still sending people to see it. Also, the movie certainly felt like 2.5 hours to me. Why? Because this dumb ass drank a large drink sitting there watching it. And I had to take a leak so bad but I couldn't leave. This is a movie you can miss a single scene (IMO). That's the only reason it felt long to me I actually didn't want the movie to end.
according to imdb, there is a 3 hour directors cut. And apparently the movie comes on dvd and blu in the states in late june
Old 04-24-10, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

according to imdb, there is a 3 hour directors cut. And apparently the movie comes on dvd and blu in the states in late june
I would kill to get my hands on that director's cut.
Old 04-24-10, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Spoiler:
Damn I want to see this movie so bad.

As for your question,
Spoiler:
their relationship is really the heart of the book & it goes into it in a lot of detail. Obviously I don't know how it was handled in the film. But the main reason she sleeps with Blomquist is he never looks at her as a sexual being, she has never encountered a man that reacts like he does to her. She trusts him which she doesn't know how to handle with a man, and she has a warped sense of sex to begin with & in the book she states how age means nothing to her.
Old 04-30-10, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 268 Likes on 171 Posts

saw this earlier today, walked away impressed. Solid thriller.
Old 04-30-10, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Really enjoyed this one as well, lots of good twists and turns - not to mention pretty impressive performances from the leads. Had never heard of the books (or even knew what the movie was about) but liked the movie enough to maybe seek them out - will definitely grab the BD when it comes out. A very well done thriller - 4/5 stars.
Old 04-30-10, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,223 Likes on 814 Posts

Third film just came out here today. I'll probably see it this weekend.

FYI, there's no "director's cut". They were shot as "films" as well as "mini-series" to be released on tv.

Last edited by eXcentris; 04-30-10 at 11:34 PM.
Old 05-03-10, 10:59 AM
Cool New Member

I saw the film this weekend and was impressed.

I did have some slight criticisms. I felt that the filmmakers spoiled Lisbeth's past in the last third of the film. It was hinted at but not stated explicitly in the first book. I don't even think that the whole incident is fully described until the second half of the second book. On the other hand, some roles that are significant in the books, Erika, Annika Giannini, and Palmgren were reduced to cameo appearances.

I also thought that some rather crucial scenes were left out. In the book, Lisbeth finds Palmgren in his office and calls 911 for him. He's mentioned in passing via the cell phone call in the film.

I thought the actress who played Lisbeth was outstanding. The casting was also dead on for Martin Vanger and Bjurman, especially how their seemingly normal facade hid sick and twisted inner selves. I didn't care for the actor who played Blomquist - he seemed to lack the charisma of how he was described in the books.
Old 05-03-10, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by anyanka323
I didn't care for the actor who played Blomquist - he seemed to lack the charisma of how he was described in the books.
When reading the book I always pictured Russel Crowe as Blomquist. The actor definitely needs a lot of charisma.
Old 05-15-10, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 164 Likes on 117 Posts

I haven't read the books myself but checked out the movie last night, definitely a better-than-average thriller. The lead actress was very good, and it did move quickly for a longer movie. I'm sure the Hollywood remake will tone away a lot of the disturbing edges and make Nomi's character spunky yet sexy and be played by Natalie Portman or something.

I quite liked Ebert's review which had me thinking about the film in a new way.
Old 05-15-10, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

UK teaser poster for "the Girl Who Played With Fire"

The rumor is that it will get a stateside release by the end of the year
Old 05-16-10, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just read in the latest issues of EW that Brad Pitt who I can't stand is the leading candidate for Blomquist. What a horrible choice, I know according to DVDTalk he is like the greatest actor of all time, but he is so wrong for the role IMO. Way too pretty, and no charisma at all when he isn't playing an over-the-top eccentric character. I wouldn't mine Ralph Fiennes or Sean Bean for the part.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.