DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   What movies have do you have yet to finish? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/570817-what-movies-have-do-you-have-yet-finish.html)

TGM 03-14-10 11:43 AM

What movies have do you have yet to finish?

I still have 2/3's of the last Indiana Jones movie, and one hour of Transformers 2 to finish, currently. God help me.

ugh, ridiculous that you can't fix thread titles. Would someone be so kind as change the thread title so I don't sound like fucking Tonto?

Dr Mabuse 03-14-10 11:57 AM

Re: What movies have do you have yet to finish?

The thread title makes you sound like Tonto man.

Just free info.

Ash Ketchum 03-14-10 11:58 AM

Back in film school, I started shooting a low-budget version of "War and Peace," set in the Bronx, but everyone graduated, I ran out of money and had to get a job, and the unedited reels of 16mm film and reel-to-reel audiotape just sit there. And there's that kung fu musical I'm trying to get back to--if only I could find a choreographer who can handle soft-shoe and eagle's claw. -rolleyes-

Michael Corvin 03-14-10 12:05 PM

I still haven't finished Watchmen. Watched about half on a night where I was pretty tired, couldn't finish and haven't felt the urge to go back.

Iron_Giant 03-14-10 01:21 PM

I have never made it all the way through one sitting of "The Shinning", they movie scared me too much when I was younger - do not like Psycho movies.

Now that I think about, I have never made it through "Psycho" either.

EdTheRipper 03-14-10 02:03 PM

I've tried to watch Bubba Ho-Tep about 7 times and fall asleep each and every time. I just can't make it through.

whotony 03-14-10 02:24 PM

I recorded The Fountainhead from TCM and started to watch it.
Took me over 6 weeks to finish it, just a horrible movie.

TheySentYou 03-14-10 03:30 PM

Aki Kaurismaki's 'The Man Without a Past'

Emir Kusturica's 'When Father Was Away On Business'

Alejandro Jodorowsky's 'The Holy Mountain'

Neil Jordan's 'Mona Lisa'

Federico Fellini's 'Nights of Cabiria'

i had a bad habit for a while of watching films in sections, then being distracted by being excited for other films instead.

Mondo Kane 03-14-10 03:38 PM

Giant

sleepyhead55 03-14-10 03:40 PM

The Last Goodbye--the Altman film with Elliot Gould. Tried watching it a few times but always end up getting bored and sleepy and just turning off the dvd

Serpico
A Zed and Two Noughts
The Draughtman's Contract
The Taking of Pellham 123 (original)

I try to watch films in one sitting because if I don't I end up forgetting about it.

Mondo Kane 03-14-10 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by sleepyhead55 (Post 10049300)
Tried watching it a few times but always end up getting bored and sleepy and just turning off the dvd

Finally! A forum member who lives up to his name. :cool:

Groucho 03-14-10 04:04 PM

The Legend of the Lone Ranger, ironically enough!

tommyp007 03-14-10 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Iron_Giant (Post 10049111)
I have never made it all the way through one sitting of "The Shinning", they movie scared me too much when I was younger - do not like Psycho movies.

Now that I think about, I have never made it through "Psycho" either.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_sTGIC-qIMm...treehouse7.JPG

(this never gets old)

Travis McClain 03-14-10 05:52 PM

I'm pretty sure I've seen all of Dead Poets Society, but I have yet to see it all in one setting. Why this is, I can't say. It seems as though whenever I try watching it, something happens to interrupt me, and a few times I've caught it on TV already in progress.

Norm de Plume 03-14-10 07:37 PM

I have tried twice, but I have been unable to sit through Herzog's Aguirre, and I won't make another attempt. I have all the patience in the world for good movies that move like molasses, but never before, to my recollection, have I encountered a movie that was genuinely less interesting and involving than staring at a blank wall for three hours.

Ash Ketchum 03-14-10 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by sleepyhead55 (Post 10049300)
The Last Goodbye--the Altman film with Elliot Gould. Tried watching it a few times but always end up getting bored and sleepy and just turning off the dvd

You might have better luck with Altman's THE LONG GOODBYE, which, coincidentally enough, also stars Gould.

gmanca 03-14-10 08:38 PM

The Long Goodbye is really uneven but the third act is pretty good, especially the last 10 minutes or so. The thing it really has going for it is John Williams piece being changed to fit the place/mood e.g. the theme played as muzak in a supermarket.

I have to finish Vertigo as I got tired and have been a bit busy to watch it but it's been great so far.

tommyp007 03-14-10 08:48 PM

Started and never finished "The Thin Red Line" and "My Fair Lady" several times.

Autotelik 03-14-10 10:11 PM

Transformers 2. Watched a little over an hour of it. It got so uninteresting it would be a definite waste of my time to spend any more minutes on it.

Dr Mabuse 03-14-10 10:33 PM

Starting with the thread title, this thread brings the funnay.

:lol:

Travis McClain 03-14-10 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by Autotelik (Post 10049895)
Transformers 2. Watched a little over an hour of it. It got so uninteresting it would be a definite waste of my time to spend any more minutes on it.

I will say, it actually gets better after that first hour. There's entirely too much screwing off and unfunny comedy in that time. You should just skip ahead to the forest battle, because that's the first interesting part of the movie. It's not as though you need to know anything from before that scene to understand any of what follows, other than that the Decepticons rescued and revived Megatron. That's pretty apparent from the fact that he's in the forest battle, so you'd probably be able to figure that one out.

Nick Danger 03-14-10 10:43 PM

Being There. I rented it just before I moved, and was too stressed to watch more than half of it. After I unpacked, I returned the movie to Blockbuster.

RocShemp 03-14-10 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by MinLShaw (Post 10049933)
I will say, it actually gets better after that first hour. There's entirely too much screwing off and unfunny comedy in that time. You should just skip ahead to the forest battle, because that's the first interesting part of the movie. It's not as though you need to know anything from before that scene to understand any of what follows, other than that the Decepticons rescued and revived Megatron. That's pretty apparent from the fact that he's in the forest battle, so you'd probably be able to figure that one out.

Which goes to show how poorly written that whole movie is given it takes an hour to relate three key pieces of information: (1)Megatron is back, (2)he has an evil-er boss who hangs out on an easy chair on Saturn cos he's afraid Optimus Prime might kill him, and (3)Sam has visions that the Decepticons are obsessed with discovering.

story 03-14-10 10:58 PM

Sorry, but for me it's High Fidelity. About halfway through I called the guy who lent it to me and asked him when it was going to get good. He said I was out of my mind. Turned it off and haven't gone back to it.

Maxflier 03-14-10 11:04 PM

Alexander.
I watched disc one but when it came time to switch to disc two for the rest of the movie I didn't bother.

JJE-187 03-15-10 12:34 AM

I have never finished these movies because I turned them off from boredom
Bitch Slap
The Living Dead at The Manchester Morgue
District 9
Slumdog Millionaire

Abob Teff 03-15-10 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane (Post 10049308)
Finally! A forum member who lives up to his name. :cool:

Sorry ... "Pantsaconda" was taken when I registered or I would have been the first.

RocShemp 03-15-10 01:09 AM

The last film I remember not finishing was Jennifer's Body. I made it to 40+ minutes before I hit eject and returned it the very same day I rented it. What a brutally dull piece of crap that was. How do you screw up a movie where some cultists mistakenly use a major whore as the required virgin sacrifice in a demon summoning ritual? That should have been all kinds of awesome instead of a companion piece to season 8 of 24.

Trevor 03-15-10 08:30 AM

Except for the two films I've walked out of in the theater (Chris Rock's Down to Earth and The Last Boy Scout), I think I've finished every film I've ever started. It's sort of an OCD thing. I have to finish what I start, and mainly walked out of those two because of who I was with, although Down to Earth would have killed me.

Some DVDs take me multiple days though, I have a very short attention span.

I think there is one current DVD that has been sitting next to my TV for a month or two, waiting for me to finish it, Last Year at Marienbad.

Wazootyman 03-15-10 12:09 PM

Apocalypse Now. Fell asleep the three times I tried watching it. My main problem is it's always the redux, and I always start it at like 2am

mattressman 03-15-10 01:31 PM

For some reason I kept trying to watch Quantum of Solace just before bed for about a week straight. I think the farthest I got was about a half hour before I fell asleep.
The reason for me not finishing it falls more on the fact that I kept trying to watch it at 2 or 3 in the morning and less about the quality of the movie.
I wanna finish it some time but I'm sick of watching the first few minutes.
I watch movies over an over all the time but for some reason it always seems harder to re-watch a movie I haven't finished than it is just to re-watch a whole movie.

sleepyhead55 03-15-10 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor (Post 10050308)

I think there is one current DVD that has been sitting next to my TV for a month or two, waiting for me to finish it, Last Year at Marienbad.

FWIW, I found that film utterly confusing. I think the runtime is pretty short though at around 94 minutes.

Now that I think about it, I've never been able to finish the Tim Burton Batman film. I remember going to the theater to watch it and falling asleep halfway through the thing.

A few years ago I taped it when TCM showed it. I tried to watch but ended up falling asleep again. The funny part is I think it's at the same point where I just end up losing interest--around the middle of the film where the Batmobile makes an appearance.

Anyway, when you guys go to finish a film, do you just start back from where you stopped watching, or do you watch from the start of the film?

Numanoid 03-15-10 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by sleepyhead55 (Post 10050771)
FWIW, I found that film utterly confusing.

That's intentional.

Numanoid 03-15-10 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by dogmatica (Post 10049972)
Sorry, but for me it's High Fidelity. About halfway through I called the guy who lent it to me and asked him when it was going to get good. He said I was out of my mind. Turned it off and haven't gone back to it.

You're out of your mind.

Trevor 03-15-10 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by sleepyhead55 (Post 10050771)
Anyway, when you guys go to finish a film, do you just start back from where you stopped watching, or do you watch from the start of the film?

Unless it's only been a day or so, my OCD compels me to start from the beginning. I'm a absolute beginning to absolute end person in most areas.

With book or comic book series, if I get distracted and put a series down for awhile, I have to start at the beginning again.

For the Hobbit/LOTR trilogy, I've read the Hobbit about ten times, Fellowship thrice or so, Towers maybe twice, and RotK only once. I just have too many hobbies and too short an attention span.

Darth Maher 03-15-10 10:15 PM

Just recently, I couldn't seem to get through Adam's Rib.

naitram 03-15-10 10:51 PM

Showgirls. Nobody in the room cared enough to get up and turn the laserdisc over. That was about 15 years ago.

ChineseCheckers 03-15-10 11:02 PM

Couples Retreat