Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Avatar: The Way of Water (2022, D: Cameron) S: Worthington, Saldana

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Avatar: The Way of Water (2022, D: Cameron) S: Worthington, Saldana

Old 10-28-10, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 675 Likes on 478 Posts
Re: Cameron returns to space with 2 'Avatar' sequels

4 years? Come on, Bay pumps that Transformer shit out twice as fast.
Old 10-28-10, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 179 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
That's the answer...outsource the job to Bay!!!
Old 10-28-10, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great news. Sucks that we have to wait 4 years for it, though.
Old 10-28-10, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 141 Likes on 106 Posts

But by doing that, they get to avoid The Hobbit!
Old 10-28-10, 12:15 PM

Received 61 Likes on 51 Posts

Not surprised to hear this (perhaps the timing). Anyway, good news to have it official.
Old 10-28-10, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum View Post
I'm not really interested in sequels by the same people. One of the great things about ALIENS (1986) is that James Cameron, the director and author of the screenplay, had nothing to do with the film's predecessor, ALIEN (1979). THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK was directed by Irvin Kershner, not George Lucas. (Granted, this can backfire when you've got lesser people doing the sequels. Ted Post directed the second PLANET OF THE APES film and the second DIRTY HARRY film and, while I enjoyed both, they're pale echoes of the originals, although still better than the sequels that followed, all by different people. Not to mention Schumacher and the Batman sequels.)

In any event, here's what I'm proposing:
Tarantino directs the AVATAR sequel.
Cameron directs KILL BILL VOL. 3.

That's what I want to see.
How often does that actually work out though? Georgie still had his grubby little paws all over Empire even though he didn't direct. I have to think that Aliens was just a stroke of luck that it happened to turn out so well plus Cameron did a great job.

How often do sequels by different directors turn out well? It seems to me that most of the sequels that can actually rival the original were done by the same director. Terminator. Godfather. Toy Story. There might be others but I can't think of any more off the top of my head.

What sequels to good movies that were done by a different director turned out even close to as good as the original?
Old 10-29-10, 02:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, this is disappointing. I would have liked to see Cameron's talent used for more variety. I was kind of interested in him doing Cleopatra. But now, over the next 5 years, all we're getting from him are two more Avatar movies. Sheesh. He's found his Star Wars, and I guess, like Lucas, he's just going to beat the thing like a dead horse.

I'd rather hear he was developing another Terminator sequel. Or another True Lies sequel. Or a part 6 to Ridley's Alien 5. Or something new! Anything but a sequel (TWO sequels) to what I feel is his worst film.
Old 10-29-10, 02:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Still waiting on that Aquaman movie.
Old 10-29-10, 04:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 79 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt View Post
Still waiting on that Aquaman movie.

Vinnie Chase would rock in that role!
Old 10-29-10, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2010/10/...nely-exciting/

He's looking at shooting in 48fps or 60fps.
Old 10-29-10, 09:17 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

He wanted 60 for Avatar. Fox said no. 60 would be a bitch for the CGI guys. I can't even imagine wtf the workload on one guy doing a segment/scene/clip/whatever would be.
Old 10-29-10, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by lamphorn View Post
Well, this is disappointing. I would have liked to see Cameron's talent used for more variety. I was kind of interested in him doing Cleopatra. But now, over the next 5 years, all we're getting from him are two more Avatar movies. Sheesh. He's found his Star Wars, and I guess, like Lucas, he's just going to beat the thing like a dead horse.

I'd rather hear he was developing another Terminator sequel. Or another True Lies sequel. Or a part 6 to Ridley's Alien 5. Or something new! Anything but a sequel (TWO sequels) to what I feel is his worst film.

since when did making a sequel to one of your films beating a dead horse? its not even comparable to how much George Lucas has milked Star Wars. Returning to the Terminator franchise would be the same thing really.
Old 10-29-10, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 86 Likes on 68 Posts

I have a hard time imagining how these will be good. Avatar seemed like an event movie, not something that lends itself to interesting sequels.
Old 10-29-10, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

I enjoyed it, but it did seem like a stand-alone film. Not really something where I'm eager to revisit those characters in that universe again. But I could be dead wrong, the next story could be really interesting, and for all I know the sequels will be even better.
Old 10-30-10, 04:57 AM

it will be a interesting equal
Old 10-30-10, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by AnonomusBob15 View Post
since when did making a sequel to one of your films beating a dead horse? its not even comparable to how much George Lucas has milked Star Wars. Returning to the Terminator franchise would be the same thing really.
A sequel? It's now a trilogy (with, I presume, more to come). I would make the comparison because Cameron has been developing Avatar since 1994 and will be working on Avatar until 2015. So, between the years of 1997 and 2015, the only feature films we will see from Cameron are Avatar films. That's nearly a 20-year span of doing nothing but Avatar! He is also writing an Avatar novel.

I also make the comparison because a once-interesting director who focused more on story while pushing the limits of technology, now seems to only be interested in technology. He's even been demeaning his well-earned status as a great director to hawk his proprietary cameras and 3D system. By that, I mean he makes public statements about which movies and studios are doing 3D "the right way", as if he's making an aesthetic judgment, when he's really pressuring them to buy his cameras. He's become a camera salesman and the Avatar movies are his infomercials.

All that said, of course I'll go see these movies. I mean, I'm no hater, I just think Avatar did not live up to Cameron's previous work. I just hope he makes some feature films other than Avatar before retiring.
Old 10-30-10, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 141 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by lamphorn View Post
He's become a camera salesman and the Avatar movies are his infomercials.
He developed a technology to make his project a reality. If that's an infomercial, then by that reasoning the book is an infomercial for the printing press.
Old 10-30-10, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

The key word there is "shit."

Count me as someone who would much rather see Cameron do something new instead of sequels to any of his previous movies. When I heard about his interest in Mars, I was thinking it would be great if he did a movie about a manned mission there, except one that's actually good. Or how about a war movie? (And I don't mean a war with aliens or the machines.)
Old 10-30-10, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I wouldn't mind more Avatar films but I always would like to see him do something else. Even though it's another alien film, he has the movie rights to Brother Termite which is a Dark Skies-like story of aliens controlling the government since the 40's.

Maybe a true horror movie or something dealing with Atlantis would be really cool.
Old 10-30-10, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 73 Likes on 60 Posts

That's the answer...outsource the job to Bay!!!
Maybe they should trade franchises. Cameron does Transformers: The Blue Mech Group and Bay can do Avatar: I Stab You In The Eyes In 3D!!!
Old 10-31-10, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RocShemp View Post
Maybe they should trade franchises. Cameron does Transformers: The Blue Mech Group and Bay can do Avatar: I Stab You In The Eyes In 3D!!!
Make them 90 min. each and run 'em as a double bill and I am sooooo there!!!!

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 11-01-10 at 11:05 AM.
Old 10-31-10, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Although I was only kidding, perhaps it would be best that they trade franchises. It's possible since they are close friends. And making each 90 minutes long (sans credits) would be perfect.

Although Avatar managed not to drag for me, I can understand people getting restless with it. What made Transformers sag was the extended bit in the Whitwicky house. The Autobots had just had this grand intro and instead of leading us into all manner of kickass action, we're instead treated to an endless barrage of zany domestic humour. Yes, I enjoyed it but it became way too much after a while. Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen had much better pacing but the plot was halfbaked to say the least.

Still, imagine if Cameron made an Aliens or True Lies style Transformers movie? And imagine if Bay made Bad Boys or The Rock style Avatar movie?
Old 10-31-10, 06:08 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp View Post

Still, imagine if Cameron made an Aliens or True Lies style Transformers movie? And imagine if Bay made Bad Boys or The Rock style Avatar movie?
The Cameron bit...i'd heavily enjoy.

That Bay part though..oh fuck no. The bastard would do cuts so quick and crazy that I've no idea how I'd register wtf I saw in that world.
Old 10-31-10, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC View Post
The Cameron bit...i'd heavily enjoy.
I know! It'd be so epic!

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC View Post
That Bay part though..oh fuck no. The bastard would do cuts so quick and crazy that I've no idea how I'd register wtf I saw in that world.
But that's the beauty of it. No one would know what the fuck was going on but it'd still make over $300 million!

Although, I an all fairness, I picked Bad Boys and The Rock because they are two of his most coherent movies. Originally I was going to use The Island as an example but it doesn't get the love it deserves.
Old 11-01-10, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

And I forgot to add: make 'em do them for the same budget the DISTRICT NINE guy had.

And make Cameron use Megan Fox and give Zoe Saldana to Bay.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.