DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   The Crazies (2010) --- Dir: Breck Eisner -- The Reviews Thread (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/570050-crazies-2010-dir-breck-eisner-reviews-thread.html)

DJariya 02-26-10 09:50 PM

The Crazies (2010) --- Dir: Breck Eisner -- The Reviews Thread

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0455407/

Trailer:

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/J7w9uWFIMBs&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/J7w9uWFIMBs&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Didn't want to bump the Trailer thread. I just got back from seeing this and I enjoyed it alot. Never saw the 1973 original, but this was a really well made B movie with lots of suspense and clausterphobic tension.

I thought Timothy Olyphant was actually a very good lead for this film. He isn't a huge star and for me it added alot of believability in him playing a small town Sheriff.

This type of virus-Zombie thriller has been done alot in recent years, but I think the movie did enough to stand on it's own and I would definitely recommend this if your a fan of this genre.

89981 02-26-10 10:25 PM

Re: The Crazies (2010) --- Dir: Breck Eisner -- The Reviews Thread

I liked it also.

Spoiler:
Especially the nuke going off at the end, that was well done.

DJariya 02-26-10 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by 89981 (Post 10021203)
I liked it also.

Spoiler:

That was a great scene. Considering this is essentially a B movie, the special effects were well done.

Rammsteinfan 02-27-10 01:18 PM

Enjoyable movie... dont know if i would like a sequel or not. Will definitely buy on Blu.

Torchur317 02-27-10 05:03 PM

Loved it, really good remake....

Joe Molotov 02-27-10 05:20 PM

It was pretty good.

jfoobar 02-27-10 11:36 PM

The At the Movies guys both really liked it.

BJacks 02-27-10 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by 89981 (Post 10021203)
I liked it also.

Spoiler:

This sounds lame but can someone refresh my memory about the end? I saw the film a couple of months ago and I can't remember. What happens? I did enjoy the film though.

FantasticVSDoom 02-28-10 07:46 PM

Enjoyable... I dont know how it stacks up against the original because I cant remember anything about it but it was a pretty decent creepy movie.

JumpCutz 02-28-10 07:54 PM

Wow! 71% fresh at RT. Color me surprised.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/1205380-crazies/

This is one of the best reviewed horror films in recent memory.

hapgilmore 02-28-10 09:18 PM

Saw it today, liked it a lot. A well made genre film. 3/4

TNAJason 02-28-10 09:22 PM

I liked it,nothing overly special but nothing overly bad either. I give it a B-

DeanoBKN 02-28-10 09:44 PM

I saw this last night, and can say it was the best horror movie i've seen in quite some time. There were quite a few times in the movie where I was very surprised with the turn of events, especially the ending.

I will revisit this on Blu-Ray.

CaptainMarvel 02-28-10 11:53 PM

I really enjoyed it.

Spoiler:
Although, if they were going to nuke the town without trying to save anybody, why would they even bother sending in contamination teams? Just nuke the town.

Jonno2006 03-01-10 10:50 AM

I don't even know why i go see horror movies at the theater anymore, i don't know why but horror movies always attract the stupidest and loudest assholes!

You know those stereotypical black women talking and screaming at the screen? I had one next to me! Her and i assume her boyfriend would not freaking shut up! It was beyond annoying, they really didn't get that they were NOT at home but in fact in a very crowded theater with people who actually WANT to hear what's going on. I told them to shut up but it didn't work much, i was hoping for more people to speak up but nope, i guess no one else minded.

ARG, and people wonder why there's less and less people going to the movies nowadays. Oh and of course there was ALOT of cell phone screens popping up during the movie as always.

But yeah i really loved the movie when i wasn't too busy being pissed off hehe. :P

Goat3001 03-01-10 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Jonno2006 (Post 10024569)
I don't even know why i go see horror movies at the theater anymore, i don't know why but horror movies always attract the stupidest and loudest assholes!

Yeah I gave up on watching horror movies in the theatres because of this.

Really happy to see all the positive word. I'm a sucker for the genre so this has been on my radar for awhile but I never get excited anymore because the movies usually end up being pretty bad. So good to see people liked this. I'll still wait for the DVD though.

maxfisher 03-01-10 11:38 AM

I really enjoyed this and will pick it up on blu-ray at some point. I'll have to see it again, but it seemed like it almost entirely avoided cheap jump scares, except for one or two instances near the end. A few scenes felt a little contrived, but I'd say it was one of the better horror movies I've seen in the last five years or so.

DonnachaOne 03-01-10 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by CaptainMarvel (Post 10024057)
I really enjoyed it.

Spoiler:
Although, if they were going to nuke the town without trying to save anybody, why would they even bother sending in contamination teams? Just nuke the town.

Because (and I liked that they did this)
Spoiler:
the FEMA types and troops they sent it were honestly trying to help people at first. Babcock doesn't want to shoot anyone and the man in the black truck doesn't like the situation any more than our heroes do. They thought they could contain it. It was only when the containment failed and situation started getting out of hand that they eradicated the population.

keith71 03-01-10 12:20 PM

I thought it was great, the best horror remake since Dawn of the Dead.
The car wash scene was classic. Just a solid, unpretentious little B film.
I wonder if we will get an unrated cut on dvd?

maxfisher 03-01-10 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by Lemmy (Post 10024940)
Spoiler:
This was one of the scenes that took me right out of this film, actually. All they had to do was put the car in park, and it probably wouldn't have gone anywhere. How do I know this? I once worked at a car wash very briefly (icy cold in the dead of winter, ice on my face, all the horrors of that job are true, lol), and if the car wasn't in neutral, the little pushing roller-device "skipped" you, and went on down without you, suds on the tires or not.
That, among other errors, are why I mentioned it above and I've graded this movie accordingly.

Spoiler:
I know those systems in car washes don't have enough power to pull a car forward if it's in park or braking, but can you drive forward on them? I figured the rollers were set up in a way to keep people from hitting the gas and wrecking their car in them.

ChineseCheckers 03-02-10 05:36 PM

Saw the movie today...I liked it but while I didn't mind the ending of
Spoiler:
nuking the whole town
I wish they had stuck to a smaller, more intimate ending. Also I didn't quite like how right from the beginning that the government was involved in this whole story. Would have much prefered if it was more of a reveal than just right off the bat. But these are all minor quibbles.

Also, I was shocked at the end credits that it was Timothy Olyphant that I was watching the entire time. Throughout the whole movie I thought it was Josh Duhamel! :blush:

maingon 03-02-10 10:10 PM

I really liked this, though it relied on cheap scares alittle too much. But The movie was through out had a very creepy and eerie feeling through out the whole movie which alot of horror movies dont achieve. The pacing, tone I thought were perfect. I love these kind of movies, I find my self always thinking what if this really happened.

I really liked the Goverment stuff, the stuff in the school was pretty creepy. and I thought the scariest or most tense scene was when they first went back into town and came apon the hunters and they were hiding behind the car. Very tense scene.

Movie was well shot, looked great and the FX work was excellent for a small budget. coming off the disappointment that was Wolfman it was great to see a movie that didnt disappoint.

8/10

E. Honda 03-03-10 12:29 AM

I give it a MEH, 5/10.

Is there a shortage of talent in the WGA that all they can do is recycle, retread, and reinvent movies from the late 1970's and 1980's? Is there no originality in Hollywood anymore? I guess not.

Larry C. 03-03-10 12:46 AM

I saw it and dammit do I get all worked up about these kinda movies, and I did like it but was not blown away by it. I mean zombies and hazmat = awesome. If anyone likes this type of film less zombie types check out Warning Signs 1985. As a kid I loved it and need to revisit it.

EdTheRipper 03-03-10 03:14 PM

The wife and I caught this today. Good movie, I liked it quite a bit. Olyphant's awesome.