Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Crazies (2010) --- Dir: Breck Eisner -- The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Did you like The Crazies (2010)?
Loved it
26.98%
Liked It
50.79%
Mediocre
20.63%
Hated it (Hate remakes)
1.59%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

The Crazies (2010) --- Dir: Breck Eisner -- The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-10, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: The Crazies (2010) --- Dir: Breck Eisner -- The Reviews Thread

"The Crazies" is a remake/homage of the 1970's horror/thriller film of the same name. In this updated version, with Timothy Olyphant and Radha Mitchell as David and Judy, a married couple, where David is the sherrif of a small town in/near Iowa, and Judy is the town's doctor, people are becoming rather zombie-like, and homicidal-like, and David and his deputy Russell (Joe Anderson) are on the case investigating what could have cause such a development in this small, sleepy town with a population of 1,260 people.

There are plenty of genre scares and chills, but it's all done rather confidently, and the audience is on-board for most of the ride without a lot of inane and silly trapping of this genre-driven film. It's a rather scary-fun type of film to see with a crowd. It runs a little long, but overall, it knows what kind of film it is, but never loses sight of undercurrent of humanity of the characters as they fight for their lives as this outbreak threatens the entire population of the town as external forces also come into play.

I give it 3 stars, or a grade of B.
Old 03-06-10, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just saw this at a matinee show today and was really surprised at how much i enjoyed this. one of my favorite parts were when
Spoiler:
Olyphant gets stabbed in the hand and then proceeds to stab the lady in the throat while the knife was still in his hand

i also had no idea that George Romero was an executive producer on this movie either. Ill definitely pick this up on bluray eventually.
Old 03-06-10, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry C.
I saw it and dammit do I get all worked up about these kinda movies, and I did like it but was not blown away by it. I mean zombies and hazmat = awesome. If anyone likes this type of film less zombie types check out Warning Signs 1985. As a kid I loved it and need to revisit it.
Yeah, Warning Sign was pretty good the last time I saw it and the lighting/atmosphere/Craig Safan's score is the combo that makes it work.
Old 03-07-10, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gmanca
Yeah, Warning Sign was pretty good the last time I saw it and the lighting/atmosphere/Craig Safan's score is the combo that makes it work.
And it has Yaphet Kotto!
Old 03-07-10, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Drav3n
Just saw this at a matinee show today and was really surprised at how much i enjoyed this. one of my favorite parts were when
Spoiler:
Olyphant gets stabbed in the hand and then proceeds to stab the lady in the throat while the knife was still in his hand
Loved that part as well. Good stuff.
Old 07-04-10, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Rented this last night and loved it.....very surprised at how good it was. I was also not expecting it to be as bloody as it was - there was a lot of sick shit in this film.

It never got goofy either, just kept getting more and more tense and those redneck hunters at towards the end......damn.

It's been a while since a film actually had me creeped out by the villians or "infected".

Not sure about what to say on the remake thing.....I haven't seen the original in years.
Old 07-04-10, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lemmy
There were several instances where I was taken out of the film by the "convenient" scripting/plotting, and I won't watch this one again, but it didn't totally suck. I'd give it a C-. A few really interesting bits, but overall, meh.
Watched this on Blu-ray the other day, and this sums up my feelings very well.

Since they decided to do a 180 from the original and do the story from the townsfolk's POV rather than the government's, there weren't nearly enough crazies. Radha Mitchell's doctor character was completely wasted. She didn't react like a doctor would at all. Well made, but just lacking. And all the plot points were telegraphed and unsurprising.
Old 07-04-10, 09:37 PM

Classic Romero. I enjoyed the movie a lot. Better than I had expected. I did recognize the girls boyfriend, Scott, I think was his name. Couldn't put my finger on it, and looked him up on IMDB. Turns out I went to high school with him and he graduated a year after me. His name is Justin Miles, and I can remember us riding together to acting competitions together nearly ten years ago. (He was an actor, myself a stage technician and builder).

Go figure. Damn good actor too. I wish him all the best.
Old 07-05-10, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

I liked it, wouldn't go so far as loved it. I love the premise, but the movie moved far too quickly, causing it to rely on a few contrived plot devices. I have not seen the original (yet) so I cannot make that comparison.

I really felt that this would have played out much better as a mini-series that attacked the paranoia angle much more ... they could have dwelled on a few issues and pushed the edge -- Is Russ sick or is it just post-tramatic stress? Is Judy sick or is it the preganancy? What if the baby was sick and Judy wasn't (sick things pop into my head with that one)? Is David sick or is it stress?

Time in the movie moved far too quickly (we jump from finding the pilot to finding the plane to shutting off the water supply to being too late and the government closing in all within 15 minutes) which hurt the story.

I also agree that, since this was told from the townsfolk's viewpoint that there was not enough of them ... what was up with David walking down an empty street in the middle of the day? I'm eager to see the original since it is from the government's viewpoint.
Old 07-05-10, 02:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I enjoyed it. Not enough crazies though.
Old 07-05-10, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I watched the film last night and would give it an 8/10. I'm a fan of the original and glad to see that the remake keeps the downbeat ending.
Old 07-05-10, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Caught it on Blu last night and really enjoyed it. Every time Olyphant would kill someone me and a friend would say "It was justified" lol.
Old 07-05-10, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Pretty good, even if it did suffer from some cliches. I do agree that there should have been more toying with the audience about the health of the group.
Old 07-06-10, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

I liked it's constant bombardment of dread and surveillance. The movie never really let up (like, for instance, the grocery store in 28 Days Later, or the 'life of luxury' stuff in Dawn of the Dead).
Old 07-13-10, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts

Just saw this and was wondering about the scene in the diner towards the end where the Doc grabs the bottle of water. Did that scene seem weird to anyone else? Like they lingered on it too long?

I thought there would be some sort of "twist" ending showing people drinking out of a water bottle labeled "Bottled at the source, delicious Ogden Marsh, Iowa Water!" or something.
Old 07-13-10, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I loved this movie. I haven't seen the original (The Blu is on my shelf though, I'll get to it eventually) so I am not measuring it against that. I just thought it was a well made film with some great acting/casting. Then again, I am a big Olyphant fan. I'd probably give it about a 8/10

Originally Posted by Wolf359
Just saw this and was wondering about the scene in the diner towards the end where the Doc grabs the bottle of water. Did that scene seem weird to anyone else? Like they lingered on it too long?

I thought there would be some sort of "twist" ending showing people drinking out of a water bottle labeled "Bottled at the source, delicious Ogden Marsh, Iowa Water!" or something.
The doctor was in the forground on the right side of the frame drinking the water, directing your attention to her. On the left side, back in the kitchen, one of the crazies appears, stands there watching her, and then dissapears when the shot pans a bit later.

Last edited by Bob_Bobbson; 07-13-10 at 06:11 PM.
Old 07-13-10, 06:49 PM

I found the movie kind of mediocre. It's not that it was a bad movie, but for some reason my expectations had been raised and I ended up dissapointed.

I love horror movies and even the cheesiest ones can scare me, but I remember thinking that they had used the same gimmicks one too many times and that it could have been a little shorter.
Old 07-14-10, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Liked It and I never seen of Romero version yet and I will check it out!
Old 07-27-10, 11:01 AM
Cool New Member

I rented this last weekend. Not bad. I'll probably forget all about it in time, but I enjoyed it while I watched it.