Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Speedy Gonzales the Movie - News, Rumors, Cast, Andalay Andalay Arriba Arriba

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-10, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 742 Likes on 544 Posts

George Lopez to voice Speedy Gonzales in film
Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:47am EST

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - Speedy Gonzales is taking his folk-hero status, incredible speed and signature red kerchief to the big screen, with help from George Lopez.

The comedian is attached to provide the voice of the fastest mouse in all Mexico for a politically correct live-action/CG hybrid feature set up at New Line Cinema.

The Looney Tunes character debuted in the 1950s as a regular nemesis of Sylvester the Cat. A 1955 short about the tiny hero, "Speedy Gonzales," won the Academy Award for best short subject, (cartoon). Pat Boone even released a hit song about the famous mouse in 1962.

Over the years, Speedy appeared in the live-action/animation features "Who Framed Roger Rabbit," "Space Jam" and "Looney Tunes: Back in Action." But the character has often courted criticism that the ethnic characterizations of him and his compatriots (especially lazy cousin Slowpoke Rodriguez) are stereotypically racist and severely outdated.

Aware of this, New Line and the producers plan to update the brand with a modernized sensibility.

"We wanted to make sure that it was not the Speedy of the 1950s -- the racist Speedy," said the comedian's wife Ann Lopez, who will serve alongside him as a producer. "Speedy's going to be a misunderstood boy who comes from a family that works in a very meticulous setting, and he's a little too fast for what they do. He makes a mess of that. So he has to go out in the world to find what he's good at."

That path becomes clearer once Speedy befriends a gun-shy race-car driver.

"Garfield" scribes Alec Sokolow and Joel Cohen will write the script.

Lopez hosts "Lopez Tonight" on TBS and appears in New Line's ensemble hit "Valentine's Day," which has grossed $158 million worldwide after two weekends. He also recently starred in "The Spy Next Door" and provided a voice for "Beverly Hills Chihuahua."

Last edited by devilshalo; 02-24-10 at 12:17 PM.
Old 02-24-10, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Speedy Gonzales the Movie - News, Rumors, Cast, Andalay Andalay Arriba Arriba

Originally Posted by devilshalo
"Speedy's going to be a misunderstood boy who comes from a family that works in a very meticulous setting, and he's a little too fast for what they do. He makes a mess of that. So he has to go out in the world to find what he's good at."

That path becomes clearer once Speedy befriends a gun-shy race-car driver.
Seriously?

April 1st hit early this year.
Old 02-24-10, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Speedy Gonzales the Movie - News, Rumors, Cast, Andalay Andalay Arriba Arriba

Originally Posted by devilshalo
George Lopez to voice Speedy Gonzales in film
Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:47am EST

"We wanted to make sure that it was not the Speedy of the 1950s -- the racist Speedy," said the comedian's wife Ann Lopez, who will serve alongside him as a producer.

Funny... I thought George Lopez was just a racist stereotype as well?

Oh, and truly a terrible idea as well.

Last edited by foofighters7; 02-24-10 at 12:47 PM.
Old 02-24-10, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I guess I'm way out of touch.

I always took his cousin Slowpoke Rodriguez to be the opposite of Speedy simply for comedy and as setup for conflict.

How many cartoons can you watch where the bad guy always gets his ass outrun by Speedy?
Old 02-24-10, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 209 Likes on 161 Posts

If they want to make a politically correct Speedy Gonzales movie (or one that appears as such), then they'll have a hard time doing it and keeping all of his trademarks. In short, it can't be done!
Old 02-24-10, 02:18 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Speedy Gonzales was always one of the less interesting Looney Tunes characters, and George Lopez is thoroughly unfunny.
Old 02-24-10, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The words "George Lopez" and "politically correct live-action/CG hybrid" = box office poison.
Old 02-24-10, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What good is Speedy Gonzales if he isn't oozing racial stereotypes?
Old 02-24-10, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Speedy Gonzales was always one of the less interesting Looney Tunes characters, and George Lopez is thoroughly unfunny.
Yeah, reminds me of the McGruber movie. WHY?

And I was completely in the dark for years that Lopez was a "comedian"! I am not joking at all. I thought he was just a crappy actor. I had no clue he was a "comedian".

Frekin Terrible, unfunny TERRIBLE!
Old 02-24-10, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Meglos
The words "George Lopez" and "politically correct live-action/CG hybrid" = box office poison.
You forgot "From the Writers who brought you...Garfield"
Old 02-24-10, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Meglos
Beverly Hills Chihuahua made one hundred and forty-nine million dollars. Your definition of "poison" is incorrect.
Old 02-24-10, 03:21 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

What's next? Maybe Elmer Fudd will become "the inspiring tale of a man overcoming a speech impediment, where Elmer is no longer a hunter but instead a pet store owner". Or Pepé Le Pew can be "a tale promoting diversity, where an outsider struggles to find acceptance (and love) in a world that initially refuses to accept his differences."
Old 02-24-10, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

They'd never do a Yosemite Sam movie.
Old 02-24-10, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Drexl
They'd never do a Yosemite Sam movie.
No, but they'd elect him.
Old 02-24-10, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They should do a Pepe LePew movie. At least then they could keep the original stereotypes and no one would care. (Well, the French, but they don't count.)
Old 02-25-10, 02:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Speedy isn't one of the better characters. It isn't that the cartoons were racist per se, they just weren't terribly interesting.

And George's sitcom had moments of comedy, but those were delivered by the Cuban father in law.
Old 02-25-10, 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara
They should do a Pepe LePew movie. At least then they could keep the original stereotypes and no one would care. (Well, the French, but they don't count.)
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/aUmYGLIubho&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/aUmYGLIubho&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Old 02-25-10, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 378 Likes on 269 Posts

Aye yey yey. I ate a big bean burrito for lunch and I need to take a nap. Si, si, si.
Old 02-25-10, 10:48 AM

Tracy Morgan shares his thoughts on this movie lol

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yg2u_De8j5o&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999&hd=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yg2u_De8j5o&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999&hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
Old 02-26-10, 02:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Oh thank god those poor Mexicans have a white person (just assuming) in Hollywood to be offended on their behalf

Anyway, I'll just leave this here.

Yes maybe I am a racist bastard, but this bit has always made me lmao.
Old 02-26-10, 02:58 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 681 Likes on 457 Posts

He was perhaps my least favorite WB character, but I'm a sucker for anything animated or quasi-animated, so I'm in for at least a rental.
Old 02-26-10, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This sounds like all kinds of bad... I want my racist cartoon live-action hybrid CGI films to be politically INcorrect!
Old 02-26-10, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 245 Likes on 156 Posts

Old 02-26-10, 06:40 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok. I'm Mexican and in no way did my cousins and family members in Mexico think it wasn't funny. They and I enjoy the fuck out of Speedy as he was. The humor of Speedy to us is that the humor for him was very regional to us. A lot of us totally understood historically where Speedy could be making a nod too. I dunno. I've never had an issue w/ Speedy.
Old 02-27-10, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just don't know how anyone can keep a straight face trying to sell this revised Speedy.

"He's too fast for what they do."

He's fast so he can outrun the bad guys and steal food (which is what mice do). What do they do in this 2010 update, make Faberge eggs?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.