DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Cases of Movie Miscasting (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/569827-cases-movie-miscasting.html)

Dr. DVD 02-21-10 05:09 PM

Cases of Movie Miscasting

Let me say this is not a thread about who sucks as an actor and shouldn't be offered anything anymore because they aren't good at anything they try. This is about roles where actors who may or may not be good in other movies just didn't have what it took to pull off the part they had at one time.

Examples to me:

Cameron Diaz in Gangs of New York: She's a decent actress, but she was in over her head with this one. She wasn't horrific, but it was obvious her acting chops weren't where they needed to be when she made this.

Elizabeth Berkley in Showgirls: Okay, given the script there isn't much that could have been done to salvage this one. However, she was clearly not ready to headline a major motion picture.

Keanu Reeves in Dracula: I am not in the camp of someone who thinks Keanu should be banned from ever making a movie again. I thought he pulled off Neo very well and had a dash of authentic talent in "The Gift." But I swear his presence almost ruins the first act of this movie.

Malin Akerman in Watchmen: While she has yet to take on many other lead roles, I think her talent lies in comedy. She was not abhorrent in this role as many tried to say, but she wasn't the right choice.

Vince Vaughn in his early career: I appreciate he was trying to grow as an actor after Swingers, but trying to make him a serious dramatic actor didn't seem to work. Not to mention having him play "threatening" villains.

Sessa17 02-21-10 05:18 PM

Re: Cases of Movie Miscasting

Keanu as Contantine. Doesn't get any worse than that.

riotinmyskull 02-21-10 05:19 PM

renee zellweger in APPALOOSA

Boba Fett 02-21-10 05:21 PM

Most recently, Benecio Del Toro in "The Wolf Man"

OldBoy 02-21-10 05:21 PM

Superman Returns...just about the entire cast.

TGM 02-21-10 05:21 PM

Kate Bosworth in Superman Returns

Dr Mabuse 02-21-10 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull (Post 10011095)
renee zellweger in APPALOOSA

That's one of the two or three performances from her I can actually stand.

She was perfect in the role of a stupid, conceited, vapid, selfish slut who knows how to 'work it' for her own benefit in any situation, and isn't near the 'actress' she thinks she is while doing it, but gets results anyway.

I have to suspect her career in film mirrors this closely.

:lol:

JumpCutz 02-21-10 05:40 PM

http://100grana.files.wordpress.com/...ke_lloyd21.jpg

http://metropolitician.blogs.com/scr...s_anakin_8.jpg

RichC2 02-21-10 05:43 PM

^^ Actually both that and in Chicago, where she also played a second rate singer/actress/slut that couldn't make it big without a sensational murder to back it up.

Her two best suited roles :lol:

JumpCutz, do you actually think different casting would have helped? Lucas made the acting, seemingly intentionally, as wooden as he could.

gmanca 02-21-10 05:53 PM

An obscure one is Robbie Benson in Harry and Son; his performance really detracts from the overall mood and ruins the movie for me.

The Cow 02-21-10 05:57 PM

Keanu Reeves in everything beyond 'Bill and Ted'.

I disagree with Jake Lloyd as Anakin. For the role given and the age, he did decent. That one was not a problem with the actor. I don't see any other kid actor doing better with what he was given, that's not a miscast.

Solid Snake 02-21-10 06:05 PM

Even in Point Break?

PopcornTreeCt 02-21-10 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by Boba Fett (Post 10011104)
Most recently, Benecio Del Toro in "The Wolf Man"

I think that's because of how the movie turned out. But I think Del Toro is a dream choice for playing the Wolf Man.

Coral 02-21-10 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD (Post 10011079)
Cameron Diaz in Gangs of New York: She's a decent actress, but she was in over her head with this one. She wasn't horrific, but it was obvious her acting chops weren't where they needed to be when she made this.

I'm not really a fan of Diaz, but I'm not sure it was entirely the fault of miscasting. I found her character's inclusion in the film to be pretty pointless and underwritten. The only reason she existed was to give the movie a romance-angle to sell to women, like other epics that force romances down the audiences throats.

The Cow 02-21-10 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC (Post 10011167)
Even in Point Break?

Yes.. to a point.. He's a good surfer 'dude' but anything that involves him thinking and beyond was a miscast for me.

(but I think Nicholas Cage does work pretty good in those mindless roles, so take that for what it's worth, prolly nothin')

Solid Snake 02-21-10 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by Coral (Post 10011188)
I'm not really a fan of Diaz, but I'm not sure it was entirely the fault of miscasting. I found her character's inclusion in the film to be pretty pointless and underwritten. The only reason she existed was to give the movie a romance-angle to sell to women, like other epics that force romances down the audiences throats.

I dunno. Who in their right mind would think it'd be good to have her act against Daniel Day-Lewis? DiCaprio even had trouble but I'd be ok w/ him acting against DDL cuz he can act pretty well.

JumpCutz 02-21-10 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by RichC2 (Post 10011139)
JumpCutz, do you actually think different casting would have helped? Lucas made the acting, seemingly intentionally, as wooden as he could.

Yeah good point, though I do think Lucas should never have cast Jake Lloyd as his delivery/line readings and phrasing is just dreadful. Even for a 7 year old.

Mr. Cinema 02-21-10 06:45 PM

Ben Affleck in Daredevil. This is one reboot I'm all for. I like Affleck in stuff like Changing Lanes, but not as a superhero.

Jason 02-21-10 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by scott1598 (Post 10011105)
Superman Returns...just about the entire cast.

Imagine how miscast it would have been if Nicholas Cage had been given the role.

GoldenJCJ 02-21-10 07:34 PM

Since there was a thread bouncing around here just a day or two ago, I'll say Jack Black and Adrien Brody in King Kong.

Brody's acting in everything else I've ever seen him in has been above average and while I'm not a huge Jack Black fan I have started to enjoy his work more in the last few years since I immensely enjoyed both Kung Fu Panda and Tropic Thunder.

There was nothing wrong with their characters or their performances in King Kong aside from the fact that neither of them belonged in the film in the first place.

Hokeyboy 02-21-10 07:47 PM

Winona Ryder in Bram Stoker's Dracula and The Age of Innocence. So out of her element, I half expected the scenery to swallow her hole.

Ethan Hawke in Training Day. Tough and streetwise? Yeah... Stephen Hawking could so kick his ass.

Kirsten Dunst in Spider-Man. Drab, unattractive sourpuss. Should have gone to Bryce Dallas Howard from the get-go, and it should have been Gwen Stacey anyhow.

Groucho 02-21-10 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy (Post 10011311)
Ethan Hawke in Training Day. Tough and streetwise? Yeah... Stephen Hawking could so kick his ass.

What movie did you see? He wasn't supposed to be tough and streetwise.

riotinmyskull 02-21-10 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy (Post 10011311)

uh, i thought that was the point.

Mrs. Danger 02-21-10 07:53 PM

John Wayne as Genghis Khan.

Epic miscasting.

JumpCutz 02-21-10 08:18 PM

Jack Nicholson in The Departed.