Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Fans Flock to Shutter Island: Box Office 2/19 - 2/21

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Fans Flock to Shutter Island: Box Office 2/19 - 2/21

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-10, 06:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Fans Flock to Shutter Island: Box Office 2/19 - 2/21

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
It wont past $750 million and that's being generous. Unless it wins Best Picture, but I don't see it making more than $800 million.

The film suffered its biggest drop yet this weekend (32%). Its biggest drop previously was in weekend eight (two weekends ago) when it dropped 27%.

Of course, that doesn't stop the film from standing still with no drop at all similar to weekend nine. Even if that's the case, the film will be on it's (relative) last legs when we move into weekend twelve when Alice takes over a majority of the 3D screens out there. Everyone seems to forget this fact.
Again,i said possibly 800 million,i did not say it would.It pulled in 16.1 million this weekend in its 10th weekened of release.I believe it will win best picture and that is why i stated this whole thing. Alice is still aways a way,by the time of its release, i would say Avatar will be around 715-725 range,it has shown it has legs which is what Ttianic had and look how long that wsa in theaters even though it was not 3D.
Old 02-21-10, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I am curious to see how My Name Is Khan does in it's second weekend.
I'm surprised there hasn't been any backlash about this film.

Even if that's the case, the film will be on it's (relative) last legs when we move into weekend twelve when Alice takes over a majority of the 3D screens out there. Everyone seems to forget this fact.
Many theaters have multiple 3D screens.
Old 02-21-10, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by The Bus
I'm surprised there hasn't been any backlash about this film.
63% drop this weekend, third biggest drop of the weekend.

Many theaters have 3D screen.
Fixed.

In Vegas, a city that contains two million plus, we have:
- 9 theaters that have only one 3D capable screen.
- 2 theaters that have only one 3D screen plus IMAX 3D.
- 1 theater that has two 3D capable screens plus IMAX 3D.
- 1 theater that has three 3D capable screens plus IMAX 3D.
- 1 theater that has four 3D capable screens.
- 1 theater that has sixteen 3D capable screens.
- 1 theater that has eighteen 3D capable screens.

That means out of 273 capable screens in Vegas, there's only 58 3D capable screens. That means 21% of screens are capable, but 34 of those screens (42% of that 21%) come from two theaters alone.

Now out of those 58 3D capable screens; Avatar is currently playing on 18. Come March 5th, I would be surprised if Avatar is still standing on at least 6 screens. Those screens will most likely be the ones that have multiple 3D screens or aren't getting to play Alice.

Now if Vegas has two million people, but a limited option of 3D screens; just imagine about the cities with less.

At the end of 2009, there's 39,233 screens within the US. Less than 3,000 are capable of doing 3D. Disney wants Alice to play in as many 3D sites as possible. I'm going out on a limb and stating come the first weekend of March, Avatar will be on 800-1200 screens tops (most being the remaining 3D screens Alice didn't take up).

Last edited by Matthew Chmiel; 02-21-10 at 08:21 PM.