Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Breaking Dawn (Twilight Saga) to be two films

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Breaking Dawn (Twilight Saga) to be two films

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-12, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Re: Breaking Dawn (Twilight Saga) to be two films

Illustrating Kristen Stewart's acting range:

Old 11-20-12, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

I went to see it today and enjoyed it a great deal. I was surprised how easy it was to follow considering I hadn't seen a single one before. Michael Sheen really stole the show and I loved Dakota Fanning as the silent assassin chick (Jane?). Sad that Maggie Grace got so little screentime.

Was there anything after the credits? The theater I was at turned on all the lights during the credits (even though I saw footage still showing during the crawl).
Old 11-21-12, 09:09 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
I went to see it today and enjoyed it a great deal. I was surprised how easy it was to follow considering I hadn't seen a single one before. Michael Sheen really stole the show and I loved Dakota Fanning as the silent assassin chick (Jane?). Sad that Maggie Grace got so little screentime.
I liked it quite a bit as well. I have seen the other movies and will never read the books. My wife and her friends (about 25 of them) went to the midnight show last week and all came back raving about it. They didn't care too much for the ending of the book but that the twist in this was a much better pay-off. That piqued my interest, so we went and saw it today with some of our friends.

Was there anything after the credits? The theater I was at turned on all the lights during the credits (even though I saw footage still showing during the crawl).
All the end credits consisted of was a crawl back through the book and the pics/characters/names from all the participants in the film, then the credits rolled. That was it.
Old 11-21-12, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

By the way, was anyone else creeped out by the CGI baby? Why not get a real baby?

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
I liked it quite a bit as well. I have seen the other movies and will never read the books. My wife and her friends (about 25 of them) went to the midnight show last week and all came back raving about it. They didn't care too much for the ending of the book but that the twist in this was a much better pay-off. That piqued my interest, so we went and saw it today with some of our friends.
I was intruigued by the positive reviews. Mainly because the reviews kept praising the film for taking much liberties with the books. I've never read the books (and have no interest to do so) but thought the premise had a Dark Shadows-esque potential (thinking of the series rather than the movie). Though the movie never reaches that level of gothic horror/romance, it was quite entertaining. Honestly, it felt more like an X-Men movie comprised entirely of B-list characters rather than a vampires-werewolves teen romance flick.

And, yes, the final twist was fantastic. I decided to Wikipedia the book to see what was different and must say they changed it for the better.
Spoiler:
All that happens in the book is that the Cullens gather their witnesses, meet up with the Volturi, and Alicia presents the vampire-human hybrid after Irina was killed. And everyone just walks away.
By contrast, the film actually paid off all the buildup.

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
All the end credits consisted of was a crawl back through the book and the pics/characters/names from all the participants in the film, then the credits rolled. That was it.
Okay then I didn't miss anything cos I did get to see the series cast credits sequence. The lights were turned on after that.
Old 11-21-12, 10:31 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts

By the way, was anyone else creeped out by the CGI baby? Why not get a real baby?
That was my major complaint. Benjamin Button it wasn't.

My wife said that the producers wanted consistency in the growing up of Nessie (tee-hee) so instead of casting look-a-likes, they went the CG route, based on the face of the 10yo actress (in all stages of life -
Spoiler:
baby through adult
) which I believe was a mistake.

If producers can find a dead ringer for a kid version of Gennifer Goodwin (Snow White) on Once Upon A Time, they could find someone similar for this movie.
Old 11-22-12, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The baby was pretty bad, but I think another reason they went the cgi route is that they wanted an infant who would emote in a more adult-like way. No real infant would emote that way. Turns out a cgi baby was equally as awkward.

Kudos on the bad ass twist. Loved watching my wife's jaw drop on like 4 different occasions. I was laughing at the boldness of it until... well, you know....
Old 11-22-12, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Given how this movie ended, I would love to see a series of sequels pick up where it left off. It'd be potentially great given they'd no longer have the dead weight of the books holding them back.
Old 03-11-13, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Saw this this weekend and it may have been the worst movie I have seen in my entire life. The credits rolled and I was left thinking that nothing happened. They broke these up into 2 movies and absolutely nothing happened in the second half. At least if the fight actually happened there would have been something but...
Old 03-11-13, 10:23 AM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

Nothing much happened in the first either. These movies are garbage plain and simple. I can't believe the quality of these films with the talent behind it. An Academy Award winner directed these 2 shitfests. Someone who directed a pretty awesome vampire movie directed one. Kristen Stewart really isn't THAT awful, but she is just trash in these. I don't know how anyone who is fan of the books (if they are good or not I dont know) could actually approved of these movies is beyond me. There is nothing redeeming about them. They are, from a technical point, some of the worst "big budget" films I've ever seen.
Old 03-11-13, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I unfortunatly saw it on DVD. Were these supposed to be vampires or was it a disguised X-Men movie? Since when do vampires have powers to control elements, cause cracks in the ground, run at the speed of light, electrical charges from their hands, tell the future, or jump tall buildings in a single bound? Suprised there wasn't one that could fly. Also they screwed up their own 'contribution' to vampires. Several times, they were out in sunshine & no sparkles.
Old 03-11-13, 02:40 PM

Yup...just awful.

Last edited by dex14; 03-11-13 at 04:06 PM.
Old 03-11-13, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dhmac
Illustrating Kristen Stewart's acting range:

Old joke, still funny.

Originally Posted by Groucho
Good news. Now we'll get twice as much whining from Internet fanboys pissed off that not every movie is made for their demographic.
They could just think it's awful too. I don't deny that it probably gets a lot of crap because it's a fangirl thing instead of a fanboy thing, no doubt, but there would very well be people out there who genuinely think it's terrible. I haven't seen any of them, so I pass no judgement. I'll be honest, I'm single and I'm straight, so I don't have to.

I can't see the video you posted at all.

She's really cute when she smiles:

Sadly, it seems impossible to ger to smile like that in any of her movies. I actually had to Google "Kristen Stewart smiling" just to see what she looks like while smiling.
I'd never seen her smile, even in the few interviews or anything I'd seen with her, I assumed her smiling would be a sign of the apocalypse or something.

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Also Stewart was kind of okay (and nude) in On The Road.
Wasn't there a ton of controversy about that?

Originally Posted by Kal-El
I'll save you the trouble:
Spoiler:

Twilight: Bella likes Edward, who's a vampire

New Moon: Edward leaves, Bella hangs out with Jacob, who's a werewolf

Eclipse: Werewolves and "good" vampires fight renegade vampires that want to kill Bella

Breaking Dawn 1: Bella and Edward get married, have destructive vampire sex. Bella gets pregnant within days, dies during the C-section and is turned into a vampire by Edward. Jacob falls in love with Edward and Bella's baby, Renesmee.

Now you're all caught up.
Thank. Save me hours of pain, presumably. Although....

Spoiler:
Jacob falls in love with Edward and Bella's baby, Renesmee.

That's....really....creepy.

Cool. Have you seen it already? If so, does he get plenty of screentime and get to be a badass?
Originally Posted by Kal-El
Michael Sheen chews up every scene he's in.
Nothing like a classically trained thespian who's too good for the movie having way too much fun to brighten it up.

Although Gary Oldman and Julie Christie were in that Red Riding Hood movie that was directed by the director of the first movie. because I temporarily turned into a 14-year-old, I rented it because I thought Amanda Seyfreid was pretty. It was one of the worst decisions I have ever made. I regret it to this day. They either need new agents or some producers have very incriminating evidence on them.

Originally Posted by JJE-187
Wow that got the director of Candyman: Farewell to the Flesh for Breaking Dawn.
He also directed Kinsey, Gods and Monsters, and Dreamgirls. So at least he's eclectic. And Guillermo Navarro is an amazing DP. They have to eat, I suppose .

Originally Posted by JumpCutz
Yet I know some frau's who think this shit is Shakespeare.
I once tried explain to Harry Potter fans that not every word of the book and every plot twist in the Gospel According to J.K. Rowling needed to be preserved onscreen. I gave up tilting at windmills. I still like the books quite a bit, but I that doesn't mean I can't acknowledge its flaws. I've come around to thinking that it's not great literature though.

Originally Posted by xage
I am wondering what would be the effect now that this news break-out and fallout of the Love Team

Team Edward = Fail?

Twilight Breaking Dawn Part 2 = Box Office Failure?
Oh Noes!

Fiction:

a : something invented by the imagination or feigned; specifically : an invented story
b : fictitious literature (as novels or short stories)
c : a work of fiction; especially : novel
a : an assumption of a possibility as a fact irrespective of the question of its truth
b : a useful illusion or pretense
: the action of feigning or of creating with the imagination

Rob and Kristen are not Bella and Edward. This is what is know as "reality."

Last edited by hanshotfirst1138; 03-11-13 at 04:59 PM.
Old 03-11-13, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst113
I'd never seen her smile, even in the few interviews or anything I'd seen with her, I assumed her smiling would be a sign of the apocalypse or something.
The end is nigh!

Old 03-11-13, 05:52 PM

Old 03-11-13, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

I personally think she's a beautiful girl when she lets herself be.
Old 03-12-13, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dex14
Spoiler:
I wish she'd smile like that more often. She's so gosh darn cute when she does.

Originally Posted by Timber
I personally think she's a beautiful girl when she lets herself be.