Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Mel Gibson is a jackass

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Mel Gibson is a jackass

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-10, 01:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Mel Gibson is a jackass

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
Well definitely every war the US has ever fought in...except for The Revolution, the War of 1812, The Mexican War, The Civil War, The Spanish American War, World War I, World War II, The Korean War, The Vietnam War...but the rest definitely.
Major war... Let's see, there was a little known war that lasted for years known as the Crusades. You also had almost every war the HRE fought in that was about advancing their religious beliefs.

It's funny that you throw WWII as an example of a non-religious war in a thread about Jews. The seeds of WWI were laid due to the same reasons that the Balkan crisis of the 90s started. 1812, Mexican, SA, Korean, and Vietnam hardly qualify as major wars compared to the others I've listed. The only one of that list that is completely void of any religious background is the Civil War....and we are the exception rather than the rule there.

Of late, what war hasn't been about religion? The war on terror, the Balkans, the IRA/Ireland war, etc. have all been about or started due to religion.
Old 02-06-10, 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
Colossally untrue, or you're entirely ignorant about history.

It's "acceptable" for people to bag on others for their political or scientific beliefs... why should religious beliefs be exempt? If you believe in something so strongly that you demand it be turned into public policy, be prepared to get torn an entirely new asshole for it.

Never watched an episode of South Park or Bullsh!t, have we?
Funny that it is you who is assuming and making an ass out of yourself and not me. College Degree in History and Poli Sci.

There is a distinct difference and you know it. South Park and to a lesser extent, BS are playing for humor. Big difference between saying something as a joke and going on the news.
Old 02-06-10, 05:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Religious people are/were involved in most of the conflicts you cite (hardly surprising given their pre-dominance within the relevent populations) but the root cause's of most of those confilicts was land. I have many friends who are studying or have studied history or ancient history and it's amazing how ignorant most are on aspects of our timeline on which they haven't been required to write an essay.
Old 02-06-10, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by jpb07
Major war... Let's see, there was a little known war that lasted for years known as the Crusades.
The Crusades weren't about religion. Ostensibly they rallied the troops to "free the Holy Land from Saracen heathens", but it was primarily fought so that the Roman Church could seize territory, resources, and power away from the Orthodox Church.

Territory -- NOT religion. Religion is just a "red herring".
Old 02-06-10, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Funny that it is you who is assuming and making an ass out of yourself and not me. College Degree in History and Poli Sci.
Hope you kept the receipt.

There is a distinct difference and you know it. South Park and to a lesser extent, BS are playing for humor. Big difference between saying something as a joke and going on the news.
Hmm like the "Massacre at Jenin" that every American news outlet was screaming about in 2002... which actually didn't occur?
Old 02-06-10, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
The Crusades weren't about religion. Ostensibly they rallied the troops to "free the Holy Land from Saracen heathens", but it was primarily fought so that the Roman Church could seize territory, resources, and power away from the Orthodox Church.

Territory -- NOT religion. Religion is just a "red herring".
Which Crusade? The First was called because the Byzantines wanted help reclaiming lost territory from the Turks. The Crusaders hoped to do that and then go on to overthrow the Muslims in Jerusalem and make the city safe for Christian pilgrims. But the Byzantines tried playing both sides and pissed off the Crusaders, who decided to keep the reconquered Byzantine territories for themselves.

None of the lands seized in the First Crusade were economically or militarily viable on their own and subsequent Crusades were about reinforcing the Christian forces. The notorious Fourth Crusade was an attempt to relieve Jerusalem by striking at Egypt, but due to financial problems the Crusaders ended up playing mercenaries, first for the Venetians and then a deposed Byzantine emperor. After getting screwed over by the Byzantines, they sacked Constantinople.

To reduce this all to "It was about land" is a gross oversimplification.
Old 02-06-10, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Major war... Let's see, there was a little known war that lasted for years known as the Crusades. You also had almost every war the HRE fought in that was about advancing their religious beliefs.
What was the religious issue in the Hundred Years War? The Napoleonic Wars? The Greco-Persian Wars? The Punic Wars? The Roman Civil Wars? The Boer War? The Russo-Japanese War? The Mongol conquests?

1812, Mexican, SA, Korean, and Vietnam hardly qualify as major wars compared to the others I've listed.
What are your criteria? The Mexican War was fought over a territory larger than most European countries. Spanish-American decided the fate of two major territories and several smaller.
Old 02-06-10, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara
To reduce this all to "It was about land" is a gross oversimplification.
Never said it wasn't, but it's less of a "gross oversimplification" than "it's all about religion". Religion is a tool to whip the masses into a frenzy; territory and resources cement and consolidate power... not faithful adherents.
Old 02-06-10, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,259 Likes on 837 Posts

Armed conflicts have always predominantly been about land and ideology (religious or otherwise). There are exceptions of course like the conflict between the Hatfields and the McCoys which started because of a pig.

(The conflict really started with the death of Asa Harman McCoy. The hog incident came afterwards but makes for a better joke.)
Old 02-06-10, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Artman
Well, when it comes to a persons beliefs and their actions...I'm much more concerned with actions. There's no way we can look into someone's heart. Are we supposed to ask every celeb and public figure what they really think about different groups of people?
No, but when one gets drunk and the first place he goes is ranting about Jews, it gives us a pretty good idea about what's in his heart and mind. If he just shut his mouth then I doubt people would've asked him his views on that (at least until his dad started spouting Holocaust denial theories) but once he decided to bellow it to the world then it becomes open fodder for discussion.

For what it's worth, I think Mel Gibson is a brilliant filmmaker and I will never stop watching his films, past, present and future. But I think it's pretty clear the guy is a loon.
Old 02-06-10, 04:39 PM
Banned

Of late, what war hasn't been about religion? The war on terror, the Balkans, the IRA/Ireland war, etc. have all been about or started due to religion.

These wouldn't have happened on Reagan & Thatcher's watch because, like Matt Dillon in Dodge, they knew how to keep a lid on the town.

Grenada...Falklands.

I rest my case.

(Of course, RR had Eastwood's help in taking Grenada...a conflict which also familiarized the world with the term "screwing the pooch")
Old 02-07-10, 08:07 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by BJacks
No, but when one gets drunk and the first place he goes is ranting about Jews, it gives us a pretty good idea about what's in his heart and mind. If he just shut his mouth then I doubt people would've asked him his views on that (at least until his dad started spouting Holocaust denial theories) but once he decided to bellow it to the world then it becomes open fodder for discussion.

For what it's worth, I think Mel Gibson is a brilliant filmmaker and I will never stop watching his films, past, present and future. But I think it's pretty clear the guy is a loon.
Everybody that is drunk is a loon. In Mel's case he said some things in other cases they drink & drive and kill someone.
Old 02-07-10, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The whole appeal of Mel Gibson is his crazy shtick. That's how he's always been.
Old 02-07-10, 09:53 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by toddly6666
The whole appeal of Mel Gibson is his crazy shtick. That's how he's always been.
maybe recently, but but his appeal during his Braveheart, The Patriot days was that he was a good looking badass.
Old 02-07-10, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mel Gibson is the greatest man who ever lived!
Old 02-07-10, 10:29 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse
Mel Gibson is the greatest man who ever lived!
Mel Gibson says the things I am afraid to say!
Old 02-07-10, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Mel Gibson asks for prescription drugs by both name and milligram from his doctor!

The awesomeness of Mel Gibson is overwhelming!
Old 02-07-10, 10:41 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse
Mel Gibson asks for prescription drugs by both name and milligram from his doctor!
...and Mel Gibson gets them!

Mel Gibson has x-ray vision, thus no need for MRI!
Old 02-07-10, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

The Nightrider. That is his name... the Nightrider.
Remember him when you look at the night sky!
Old 02-07-10, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
...and Mel Gibson gets them!

Mel Gibson has x-ray vision, thus no need for MRI!
Old 02-18-10, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by wm lopez
They are God's chosen people. God made a pack with them. It's in the Bible.

God used to consider himself kind of a loner, like he was a one-man wolf pack. But then the Jews came along and god knew his wolf pack just grew...
Old 02-18-10, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

So why was wm lopez suspended? Just because he claimed that God and the Jews started a questionable trend in men's fashion?
Old 02-18-10, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

God made a satchel with them.
Old 02-18-10, 07:21 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
So why was wm lopez suspended? Just because he claimed that God and the Jews started a questionable trend in men's fashion?
suspended? He posted here last night. I'm assuming today?
Old 02-18-10, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
suspended? He posted here last night. I'm assuming today?
I noticed his status when I read this post: http://forum.dvdtalk.com/9985540-post188.html

And here says the same thing: http://forum.dvdtalk.com/members/wm-lopez.html

This was no help: http://forum.dvdtalk.com/search.php?searchid=3292160

Last edited by RocShemp; 02-18-10 at 07:44 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.