Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

FROZEN (2010) (dir. Adam Green)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

FROZEN (2010) (dir. Adam Green)

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-10, 10:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: FROZEN (2010) (dir. Adam Green)

I caught this Saturday and thought it was fantastic. It's from the Open Water/Black Water/The Canyon school of survival horror, but this is my pick for best of the lot. At one point early on into their predicament, I discovered that I had unknowingly squeezed my hands together so tightly that they'd fallen asleep, so the tension definitely got to me. The characters really grew on me as the film wore on, and I actually felt really bad for them. Since it said "introducing" in the credits, I'm guessing this is Emma Bell's first film. While she has a spotty moment or two, for a first-timer, I'd say she knocked it out of the park. Her standout scene is when she's relaying her fears about what might happen to her puppy if she dies on the lift, and if he'd think she'd abandoned him. Also effective is the sparingly used score. There are some gruesome bits, particularly the hand scene from the trailer and a discovery towards the film's end.

I didn't think much of Adam Green's Hatchet, but this one is worth the praise.
Old 03-01-10, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Saw it over the weekend and had a blast. I was very skeptical about the premise, how they got stuck and why they didn't have a cell phone, but in the end you just roll with the set up. It felt like a Final Destination movie where you can see the situation building but instead of the deaths coming a minute later, this plays out for 70 minutes. One of the things I reallly liked was that you couldn't really figure out what was going to happen at any time, once you think you have it figured out everything changes.

The gore elements worked great and hightened the tension, it really showed how serious the situation was. Speaking of tension, this movie had me squeeming in my seat. Adam Green did a great job showing the dangers, thinking you were safe, then throwing the kitchen sink at you.

Check it out
Old 04-01-10, 04:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, wanted to ask if it's worth watching this movie at home. Me and my wife went to a movie theater to watch this, but when guy broke his both legs she freaked out and we had to leave. and I'm still not sure if i should go alone and watch it in the theater or if it's going to be same effect watching it at home, but will have to wait for DVD to come out (of course without wife this time).

sorry for duplicating the thread, but i was kindly forwarded here
Old 04-01-10, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I saw the movie twice in theaters and had a blast both times. I can't tell if the movie holds up at home, but I can't see why it wouldn't.
Old 04-01-10, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 599 Likes on 432 Posts

comes to dvd next week, anyway I guess people will pay $10 to see anything at a theater these days.
Old 04-02-10, 03:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by whotony
comes to dvd next week, anyway I guess people will pay $10 to see anything at a theater these days.
in what country?
Old 04-02-10, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 599 Likes on 432 Posts

I thought i saw it in our dvds for next week at work the other day, (BBV).
Might have been another movie with Frozen in the title.

Last edited by whotony; 04-02-10 at 11:14 AM.
Old 09-06-10, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

finally saw this tonight and if you buy into the premise then it works. very well done and great performances over all. and...

Spoiler:
the first wolf attack might be the most terrifying piece of cinema i've witnessed in the past couple years

really looking forward to hatchet 2 now.
Old 09-28-10, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts

The scene where the girl and one of the guys were crying
Spoiler:
after the other guy gets mauled by wolves was painfully bad acting. Did the camera have to linger that long on them wailing? Just embarrassingly bad.
Old 09-28-10, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 846 Likes on 591 Posts

I thought the movie was alright.

My biggest problem was that these 3 kids weren't the sharpest in their attempts to get out of their situation.

I don't have a problem with them not having a cellphone. They mentioned earlier that they were going to forget everything about school and just enjoy themselves - which would include leaving their cellphones in the locker so they couldn't be bothered. Plus it's easy to believe you could damage your phone when it's in your pocket and you're falling all the time when skiiing. Would you keep a $400 iPhone (for example) in your pocket when you know you're going to be falling a lot?

The problems I had were:

Spoiler:
When buddy jumped and broke his legs. To minimize the impact of the jump, he should've 1) hung from the ski lift chairs and then drop so he would reduce the fall by another 3 feet or so while reducing the speed in which he fell... and 2) swing himself forward towards the downward slop of the hill to reduce impact even more. He just basically jumped straight down - what did he think would happen?

And I know we need to see the actors faces, but it's just not believable that these kids would stay out in the cold so long and not cover their faces with their hoods/jackets. Their faces were fully exposed for a long time. And the chick keeps a hand on the bar instead of in her pocket? WTF?
Old 09-28-10, 11:38 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

I agree with Coral about the spoilered part of the post, but...
And the chick keeps a hand on the bar instead of in her pocket? WTF?
It could happen.
Spoiler:
She fell asleep and woke up that way. I don't think she placed her hand there while she was awake... did she?

I really liked the movie, but I thought it was a bit boring that
Spoiler:
TWO of them were killed by wolves. I guess it was 'realistic' that that's what would happen, but I'd have liked to see the second guy die a different way.
Old 09-28-10, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by SomethingMore
I agree with Coral about the spoilered part of the post, but...

It could happen.
Spoiler:
She fell asleep and woke up that way. I don't think she placed her hand there while she was awake... did she?
Spoiler:
She did fall asleep with her hand in her pocket, but what would make her remove it from there while sleeping in the first place? And wouldn't she be awakened when she starts to feel her hand was getting cold - thus making her put it back in her pocket? I can understand her not feeling her hand when she woke up to find it on the bar (frostbitten/numb), but I don't get how it would've gotten to that point in the first place without her noticing her hand was out of her pocket.
Old 09-28-10, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Coral
Spoiler:
She did fall asleep with her hand in her pocket, but what would make her remove it from there while sleeping in the first place? And wouldn't she be awakened when she starts to feel her hand was getting cold - thus making her put it back in her pocket? I can understand her not feeling her hand when she woke up to find it on the bar (frostbitten/numb), but I don't get how it would've gotten to that point in the first place without her noticing her hand was out of her pocket.
Spoiler:
They already established that she wasn't comfotable riding on the chair lifts, she constantly wanted the safety bar down or was holding onto the side. Didn't they show her fall asleep with her hand on the bar? I thought she only put one hand in her pocket and kept the other on the bar for safety.
Old 09-28-10, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by sauce07
Spoiler:
They already established that she wasn't comfotable riding on the chair lifts, she constantly wanted the safety bar down or was holding onto the side. Didn't they show her fall asleep with her hand on the bar? I thought she only put one hand in her pocket and kept the other on the bar for safety.
Spoiler:
She did during the day, but she had both hands in her pocket when they fell asleep and the very next scene was her waking up to find her hand stuck to the bar.

A couple other problems I just remembered I had when I watched the movie a few weeks back (which may be explainable):

Spoiler:
Don't the owners of the ski hill have a end-of-the-day run of the hill to ensure there's noone left behind and everything is fine? I know they made note that there was someone left on the ski lift (even though they messed it up) but that doesn't mean there couldn't be a skiier who fell and was left behind. I don't know what the normal proceedures are for this type of business though.

Also, the appearance of the wolves. Is this a total fluke incident where wolves happen to be wondering around a ski run? If it's known to be a place where wolves are found, would a ski run even be allowed to open there? Wouldn't there be some precautions for this sort of thing? Or are these kids THAT unlucky where they're stuck on a ski lift at the same time wolves are wondering around?
Old 09-28-10, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 909 Likes on 671 Posts

My biggest problem with the film was...
Spoiler:
the death of the 2nd kid. I know his hands were messed up from hanging from the cable but I don't think it'd be too hard to fight off a few wolves before they ate you alive. Punch, kick, headbutt, swing the snowboard around, anything to live...Also, why did he use the snowboard like a sled rather than strapping in and boarding down the hill?

Last edited by Noonan; 09-28-10 at 03:17 PM.
Old 09-28-10, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This may be the most participation I've had in a thread about a film... and it's for THIS movie.

Originally Posted by Noonan
My biggest problem with the film was...
Spoiler:
the death of the 2nd kid. I know his hands were messed up from hanging from the cable but I don't think it'd be too hard to fight off a few wolves before they ate you alive. Punch, kick, headbutt, swing the snowboard around, anything to live...Also, why did he use the snowboard like a sled rather than strapping in and boarding down the hill?
Spoiler:
I think they established early in the film that he didn't like to snowboard and preferred skiing - maybe this was an indication that he couldn't snowboard. I would assume if he was a decent skiier (which they made it sound like in the film) that he would be able to snowboard well enough to not require to use it like a sled. However, I think the wolves would've caught up to him anyways as I'm sure he wouldn't be able to go fast enough without falling over
Old 09-28-10, 06:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im glad I only wasted $1.07 at redbox for this crap.
Old 09-28-10, 07:02 PM

Spoiler:
She did during the day, but she had both hands in her pocket when they fell asleep and the very next scene was her waking up to find her hand stuck to the bar.

A couple other problems I just remembered I had when I watched the movie a few weeks back (which may be explainable):

Spoiler:
Don't the owners of the ski hill have a end-of-the-day run of the hill to ensure there's noone left behind and everything is fine? I know they made note that there was someone left on the ski lift (even though they messed it up) but that doesn't mean there couldn't be a skiier who fell and was left behind. I don't know what the normal proceedures are for this type of business though.

Also, the appearance of the wolves. Is this a total fluke incident where wolves happen to be wondering around a ski run? If it's known to be a place where wolves are found, would a ski run even be allowed to open there? Wouldn't there be some precautions for this sort of thing? Or are these kids THAT unlucky where they're stuck on a ski lift at the same time wolves are wondering around?
Spoiler:
That resort was either the shoddiest or most efficient operation on the planet. Considering how little time elapsed between when the lift was shut down and all of the lights went out, it took them no time to get the whole place cleaned up, cleared out, and shut down.
Old 09-28-10, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts

Use the numbers on each chair of the lift. Start at #60, when #60 comes back around again, you know no one is on the lift. Problem solved.
Old 09-29-10, 03:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Horrible horrible horrible horrible movie. As said above.... waste of $1 from Redbox.
Old 09-29-10, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Watched it last night. Enjoyed it overall, but found it much more sad/depressing than horrifying. I agree with most of the plot contrivances mentioned above. My biggest question when watching the movie was...

Spoiler:
Are wolves really this aggressive? Maybe I have the wrong impression about how ferocious wolves are in reality, but the wolves in this movie came across like bloodthirsty monsters, always ready to attack, moreso than hungry animals who could probably be scared away by adults screaming at them. I get that the first guy was seriously injured and helpless, but found it hard to believe that the wolves overtook the second guy as well.
Old 09-29-10, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 909 Likes on 671 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Flix
Watched it last night. Enjoyed it overall, but found it much more sad/depressing than horrifying. I agree with most of the plot contrivances mentioned above. My biggest question when watching the movie was...

Spoiler:
Are wolves really this aggressive? Maybe I have the wrong impression about how ferocious wolves are in reality, but the wolves in this movie came across like bloodthirsty monsters, always ready to attack, moreso than hungry animals who could probably be scared away by adults screaming at them. I get that the first guy was seriously injured and helpless, but found it hard to believe that the wolves overtook the second guy as well.
I agree. And
Spoiler:
unless it was a totally different pack, they would have been full after the first guy and would have had no interest in hunting again. I still think a person capable of walking and swinging their limbs can scare away 2-3 wolves, regardless of how hungry they are.
Old 10-03-10, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This may be the most participation I've had in a thread about a film... and it's for THIS movie.

Spoiler:
I think they established early in the film that he didn't like to snowboard and preferred skiing - maybe this was an indication that he couldn't snowboard. I would assume if he was a decent skiier (which they made it sound like in the film) that he would be able to snowboard well enough to not require to use it like a sled. However, I think the wolves would've caught up to him anyways as I'm sure he wouldn't be able to go fast enough without falling over
he had ski boots on...so he couldn't use the snowboard bindings.
Old 10-03-10, 11:59 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 911 Likes on 771 Posts

yeah, this wasn't good. Shawn Ashmore was the only decent actor of the 3, with the other 2 being amateurish with horrible dialogue by all and sentimental moments that were flat and lacked any emotion or feeling whatsoever. i bought into the premise, but not the acting which killed it.
Old 10-03-10, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just finished it and I actually enjoyed it. For what it was, it was a pretty tense movie with some decent cringe-inducing moments. Obviously there were problems with the whole premise and their plans, but I'm willing to suspend disbelief.

Spoiler:

Although, when the guy jumped down...really? What did he expect would happen when you jump 50 feet straight down and try and land on your feet? From the outset I thought what they should have done was either have Dan hang onto the chairlift, then have Parker climb down him, then have Joe climb down her and drop. Obviously this still would have been pretty high up, but it would have cut down about 11 feet, and if he had landed properly he might have stood a chance. Either that, or use the ski poles to lower him down. Neither of those are perfect, but they're better than "Hey, I'm going to jump and magically land on my feet."

And I would've started to throw stuff at the guy in the snowmobile or whatever it was the second he showed up. I wouldn't have waited until he started driving away.

I also find it hard to believe that the wolves would have still been around after eating the first kid. I always assumed showing dominance and attacking such an animal would at least make them retreat and not mess with you, but maybe I'm wrong?

Oh, and I totally thought we'd see Parker laying on the ground, covered by snow, and get run over by a car, lol.

Still, a pretty tense movie and the wolf scene was pretty crazy. For $10 I enjoyed it and I think it would be a good movie to watch again in the winter with some friends.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.