Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Box Office: Jan 22-24th Titanic and Dark Knight both go down?.

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Box Office: Jan 22-24th Titanic and Dark Knight both go down?.

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-10, 04:15 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Box Office: Jan 22-24th Titanic and Dark Knight both go down?.

We all know Cameron is probably the most powerful film director in the world now. But...who else could have such liberties? Nolan (I'm sure WB is letting this guy do whatever he wants), Spielberg, Lucas...who else?
Old 01-26-10, 04:30 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

I almost saw Avatar this weekend but went ahead and saw New Moon again since it's a better film.
Old 01-26-10, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
I can't even imagine the bank check Cameron's gonna get for his next movie, especially if it's Avatar 2.
Edit
Old 01-26-10, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by whoopdido
But would 13 year old girls go see it 10 times like they did with Titanic? Don't teenage girls spend their time doing other things that going to movies multiple times nowadays?
We're still clinging to the "Titanic only made the money it did because of teenage girls" theory?

If that's the case, how come NEW MOON hasn't out-grossed AVATAR?
Old 01-26-10, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
We're still clinging to the "Titanic only made the money it did because of teenage girls" theory?

Titanic was a good movie, regardless of supposed teen girls seeing it multiple times and was still a film that anyone could watch and enjoy.

New Moon was a bad movie that teenage girls saw in droves and then promptly forgot about afterwards. It literally has no other demographic.
Old 01-26-10, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
I almost saw Avatar this weekend but went ahead and saw New Moon again since it's a better film.
Better? But you haven't even seen it. Wait, actually that sounds about right for these boards.

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy

Because GizmoDVD can only buy so many tickets at once?
Old 01-26-10, 05:21 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
Better? But you haven't even seen it. Wait, actually that sounds about right for these boards.

Because GizmoDVD can only buy so many tickets at once?
Old 01-26-10, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Labor
Titanic was a good movie, regardless of supposed teen girls seeing it multiple times and was still a film that anyone could watch and enjoy.
Titanic is the only film I can ever remember my grandmother going to a theater to see. I'm sure she wasn't the only one is this category, so your theory seems correct.
Old 01-26-10, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
We all know Cameron is probably the most powerful film director in the world now. But...who else could have such liberties? Nolan (I'm sure WB is letting this guy do whatever he wants), Spielberg, Lucas...who else?
Nolan is doing Inception now, his "whatever you want to do" project. For the list, I was going to say Jackson, but after The Lovely Bones's performance, I don't know about "whatever he wants". But then again he is teaming with Spielberg on the Tintin movies.
Old 01-26-10, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
I think it still depends on the project... even Spielberg couldn't get Lincoln greenlit.
Old 01-26-10, 06:07 PM

Nolan is a great director but James Cameron is tops when it comes to creating somethign fresh that people enjoy seeing and where talking repeat viewings of his movies that never get hold,T2 still holds up very with with any action film today,Aliens,who gets tired of re-wathcing that? The Abyss is a very underated movie,ehy it was not well received is beyond me,what other under water film is better?

yeah,yeah say i am a cameron fanboy or whatever,i just admire the effort he puts into his work,the guy has an eye for detail and pushing the envelope.

Can't wait to see what he does next.
Old 01-26-10, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like James Cameron, don't get me wrong here, but I think he's a better promoter and hype machine than he is an actual director.
Old 01-26-10, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by Brent L
I like James Cameron, don't get me wrong here, but I think he's a better promoter and hype machine than he is an actual director.
When it comes to making Action movies, and that is what Cameron does, I don't think there is another Director alive that is better than him. No one else better constructs action films. From the set up and the eventual payoff, to the actual construction of the scenes.

Just using Avatar as an example. The action scenes have weight and are ferocious, despite being heavily digital, the geography of the fights are easy to follow and the flow of the action makes sense, and best of all Cameron keeps his camera steady and allows viewers to take in all that is going on on-screen.

This is all just my opinion of course. Feel free to disagree, but I think its definitely supported by the fact that many of his previous films are essentialy classics of the Action Cinema genre.

Last edited by Labor; 01-26-10 at 06:40 PM.
Old 01-26-10, 08:38 PM
Banned

When it comes to making Action movies, and that is what Cameron does, I don't think there is another Director alive that is better than him. No one else better constructs action films. From the set up and the eventual payoff, to the actual construction of the scenes.

Just using Avatar as an example. The action scenes have weight and are ferocious, despite being heavily digital, the geography of the fights are easy to follow and the flow of the action makes sense, and best of all Cameron keeps his camera steady and allows viewers to take in all that is going on on-screen.

This is all just my opinion of course. Feel free to disagree, but I think its definitely supported by the fact that many of his previous films are essentialy classics of the Action Cinema genre.
I agree w/ what you said. I will add though Avatar's action isn't as amazing as Cameron's genre classics. It's good though...but it won't be remembered for it's action. Fuck, I just want him on a great action flick.
Old 01-26-10, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Writer/director/producer is better.
Writer/director/producer/editor
Old 01-26-10, 09:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Defiant1
Writer/director/producer/editor
Writer/director/producer/editor/director of Titanic....yeah that's better.
Old 01-26-10, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by GameOver
Nolan is a great director but James Cameron is tops when it comes to creating somethign fresh that people enjoy seeing and where talking repeat viewings of his movies that never get hold,T2 still holds up very with with any action film today,Aliens,who gets tired of re-wathcing that? The Abyss is a very underated movie,ehy it was not well received is beyond me,what other under water film is better?

yeah,yeah say i am a cameron fanboy or whatever,i just admire the effort he puts into his work,the guy has an eye for detail and pushing the envelope.

Can't wait to see what he does next.
Nolan movies are "heavier" than Cameron movies. No matter how dark or grim Cameron flicks can get, they always have a playfulness to them. He has mastered broad appeal tone and pacing.
Old 01-26-10, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

The sequence where they were bringing down the giant tree reminded me of the Gungans v. battle droids in Phantom Menace... it was that ridiculous.
Old 01-26-10, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
The sequence where they were bringing down the giant tree reminded me of the Gungans v. battle droids in Phantom Menace... it was that ridiculous.
Good for you. Fortunately you're in the tiny minority who thought that, so take solace in the fact that you're part of an elite group who shares that silly opinion.

Last edited by Labor; 01-26-10 at 10:27 PM.
Old 01-26-10, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Good for you. Fortunately you're in the tiny minority who thought that, so take solace in the fact that you're part of an elite group who shares that silly opinion.
I think Avatar in a visual sense, is a phenomenal movie.

Take away the visuals, you have your basic "White Man Feels Guilty" film that accidentally knocked up Ferngully in the process. Been there, done that; but now with aliens.
Old 01-26-10, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel

Take away the visuals, you have your basic "White Man Feels Guilty" film that accidentally knocked up Ferngully in the process. Been there, done that; but now with aliens.
There are a lot of movies that you can make that argument about. Take away the special effects and the "Star Wars" saga is about an orphan with abandonment issues. Take away the special effects and the "Transformers" movies are about nothing at all. Well, maybe Megan Fox's breasts.

As they say, there are only seven types of conflict in stories.
Old 01-26-10, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
It's the worst movie I've never seen!
Old 01-26-10, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
There are a lot of movies that you can make that argument about. Take away the special effects and the "Star Wars" saga is about an orphan with abandonment issues. Take away the special effects and the "Transformers" movies are about nothing at all. Well, maybe Megan Fox's breasts.

As they say, there are only seven types of conflict in stories.
While true, I feel that Cameron has always been a weak writer. Cameron is great making things work well on screen, but if Cameron wasn't the one to direct this, we'd all be trashing it left and right on here.
Old 01-26-10, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel

Yeah you can't use this argument.

The Godfather is your basic mafia film.

Shawshank Redemption is your basic escape from prison film.

Rocky is your basic boxing film.

2001 is your basic space film.

Titanic is your basic love story film.

Etc, etc, etc.

No matter how simple or overused the story might be, a good movie is a good movie.
Old 01-26-10, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Sierra Disc
It's the worst movie I've never seen!
Re: "New Moon". Don't tell those two new tools on "At the Movies". They both gave it a "See It!".

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.