Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

So What Does Cameron Do Now?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

So What Does Cameron Do Now?

Old 01-17-10, 08:47 PM
  #51  
DVD Talk Hero
 
PopcornTreeCt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 25,913
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: So What Does Cameron Do Now?

Originally Posted by Labor View Post
I guess making some of the most memorable and iconic films of the past several decades counts for nothing these days.
Being a household a name does not equate being great. Now I don't like Steven Spielberg but I'll acknowledge that he's made some iconic films for the past decades and he's a great director. James Cameron, meh.
Old 01-17-10, 08:59 PM
  #52  
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 131
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: So What Does Cameron Do Now?

What r u talking about,i can honestly say Avatar is the best movie i have seen this decade. Spielberg has niot made a good movie since Minority Report,in fact i think Spielberg has went down hill,hope he directs the next Star Wars Trilogy though.
Old 01-17-10, 09:02 PM
  #53  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: United States
Posts: 2,506
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: So What Does Cameron Do Now?

Originally Posted by GameOver View Post
What r u talking about,i can honestly say Avatar is the best movie i have seen this decade. Spielberg has niot made a good movie since Minority Report,in fact i think Spielberg has went down hill,hope he directs the next Star Wars Trilogy though.
This post is just blah.

Avatar is not the best movie of the decade, do you forget Munich, Catch Me if You Can and The Terminal?, and their will not be another Star Wars trilogy.
Old 01-17-10, 09:25 PM
  #54  
Banned by request
 
Supermallet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Termite Terrace
Posts: 54,150
Likes: 0
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: So What Does Cameron Do Now?

I tried very hard to forget about The Terminal. I think Cameron is a better director than Spielberg, although I do think Minority Report and Catch Me If You Can were excellent this past decade.
Old 01-17-10, 09:28 PM
  #55  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: United States
Posts: 2,506
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: So What Does Cameron Do Now?

Originally Posted by Suprmallet View Post
I tried very hard to forget about The Terminal. I think Cameron is a better director than Spielberg, although I do think Minority Report and Catch Me If You Can were excellent this past decade.
The Terminal wasn't great, but it was a fun movie imo. I wasn't a huge fan of Minority Report for some reason, but I loved Catch Me if You Can. Cameron is better though.
Old 01-17-10, 09:49 PM
  #56  
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Formerly known as "Solid Snake PAC"/Denton, Tx
Posts: 39,239
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: So What Does Cameron Do Now?

I think Cameron for the small number of films he's done is a better director than Spielberg. I love Spielberg but....he's become hit and miss for the most part. Cameron has been on the fucking ball w/ the types of movies he does. Again..I want him to do an R rated action flick. He just really knows how to make an action scene have a certain thrill that most entire action flicks don't.
Old 01-17-10, 10:43 PM
  #57  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Berkeley, CA
Posts: 1,981
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: So What Does Cameron Do Now?

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt View Post
James Cameron is not a great director.
But he claims to be one.
Old 01-17-10, 11:00 PM
  #58  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Sonic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 1999
Posts: 18,639
Received 107 Likes on 80 Posts
Re: So What Does Cameron Do Now?

Terminator 3-D
Old 01-17-10, 11:03 PM
  #59  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Traverse City, MI
Posts: 3,954
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: So What Does Cameron Do Now?

Originally Posted by Blu Man View Post
This post is just blah.

Avatar is not the best movie of the decade, do you forget Munich, Catch Me if You Can and The Terminal?, and their will not be another Star Wars trilogy.
its my favorite movie of the decade. The terminal and catch me if you can are good movies but best of the decade? nope, Munich didnt really care for.
Old 01-17-10, 11:07 PM
  #60  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: United States
Posts: 2,506
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: So What Does Cameron Do Now?

Originally Posted by maingon View Post
its my favorite movie of the decade. The terminal and catch me if you can are good movies but best of the decade? nope, Munich didnt really care for.
You said that Spielberg has not made a good movie since Minority Report. You are contradicting yourself.
Old 01-17-10, 11:12 PM
  #61  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Rosemount, MN
Posts: 38,084
Received 529 Likes on 346 Posts
Re: So What Does Cameron Do Now?

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC View Post
He just really knows how to make an action scene have a certain thrill that most entire action flicks don't.
I think that Cameron has always been good at making movies feel really "physical". The fights and action in Aliens, Terminator and True Lies had real weight to them..."real" punches, real guns, real explosions, real force behind everything.

That's one of the reasons Avatar left me so cold. I think that was completely lost when all of the action involves computer characters. I've used the "videogame cutscene" example before, and I think that's it right there. Even with all of the motion capture stuff, you are still watching one computer animated character fight another on a computer-generated backdrop...and there is just nothing I can "connect" to. The punches don't feel "real"...the explosions seem fake, the speed and weight of everything seems off. That just took a real step backwards for me.
Old 01-17-10, 11:15 PM
  #62  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Traverse City, MI
Posts: 3,954
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: So What Does Cameron Do Now?

Originally Posted by Blu Man View Post
You said that Spielberg has not made a good movie since Minority Report. You are contradicting yourself.
you got me mixed up with someone else. I didnt say that. I love Spielberg.
Old 01-17-10, 11:21 PM
  #63  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Traverse City, MI
Posts: 3,954
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: So What Does Cameron Do Now?

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
I think that Cameron has always been good at making movies feel really "physical". The fights and action in Aliens, Terminator and True Lies had real weight to them..."real" punches, real guns, real explosions, real force behind everything.

That's one of the reasons Avatar left me so cold. I think that was completely lost when all of the action involves computer characters. I've used the "videogame cutscene" example before, and I think that's it right there. Even with all of the motion capture stuff, you are still watching one computer animated character fight another on a computer-generated backdrop...and there is just nothing I can "connect" to. The punches don't feel "real"...the explosions seem fake, the speed and weight of everything seems off. That just took a real step backwards for me.
no way, there was no video game cut scene feel to avatar. It felt very real, Everything carried weight. Explosions didn't seem fake, (plus most explosions in movies are usually enhanced anyways so they aren't real anyways), There were no problems of weight or speed to anything. If your problem is Computer animated character, then can you connect to a movie like UP? , Jurassic Park? What else they gonna do with a movie like Avatar thats set on another planet? Theres no way they could do that movie? You dont make sense.
Old 01-17-10, 11:31 PM
  #64  
DVD Talk Legend
 
DeputyDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 14,080
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: So What Does Cameron Do Now?

Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
But he did prove it with Heavenly Creatures. Or do you not count that one.
I was getting ready to say just that. I also will not discount "Bones" until I see it. I almost wept when I saw who he had chosen as it's star and hope he didn't ruin it (as he almost ruined Departed for me).
Old 01-17-10, 11:35 PM
  #65  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Rosemount, MN
Posts: 38,084
Received 529 Likes on 346 Posts
Re: So What Does Cameron Do Now?

Originally Posted by maingon View Post
no way, there was no video game cut scene feel to avatar. It felt very real, Everything carried weight. Explosions didn't seem fake, (plus most explosions in movies are usually enhanced anyways so they aren't real anyways), There were no problems of weight or speed to anything. If your problem is Computer animated character, then can you connect to a movie like UP? , Jurassic Park? What else they gonna do with a movie like Avatar thats set on another planet? Theres no way they could do that movie? You dont make sense.
UP was a cartoon - I don't expect it to have real physics and weight. I connect to that kind of movie through the story. I don't think for one moment that an old man can tow a house that's being held up by a few balloons. It's not even trying to be realistic. It's a fairy tale.

And the most effective scenes in Jurassic Park to me were the ones that used the animatronic dinosaurs. There were only a few quick moments with the CGI raptors that worked for me, and even then it was more of an appreciation for what the effects artists did.

I remember watching the big fight at the end of Avatar and thinking "man...the CGI artists must have been going nuts here". Never did I think "that looked like it hurt" when some CGI character punched another CGI character.

I have the same issue with the Star Wars prequels. The battle at the end of Return of the Jedi just feels so real to me, and that was model work. The (arguably) bigger and "cooler" battle at the beginning of Revenge of the Sith felt like a computer-generated cutscene...with no real sense of forward momentum for me.

It's hard to put into words. I could just continue to give examples...like the big sweeping battle shots in LOTR do nothing for me, but the up-close fights between small groups or individuals suck me right in. The space battles in the new Star Trek felt good because they mixed plenty of real explosions and real actors in with the CGI spaceship stuff. And so on...

I just wish they had brought more of a human element into the movie, instead of 65% of it being a cartoon that was supposed to look "real".
Old 01-18-10, 12:02 AM
  #66  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Michael Corvin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 61,344
Received 501 Likes on 358 Posts
Re: So What Does Cameron Do Now?

I don't agree with you on the whole about the movie, despite the flaws, I enjoyed it quite a bit, but I do agree with what you are saying.

First Jurassic Park and Up are terrible examples. As you stated Up is a cartoon fairy tale that gets you connected through the story. Second 90 percent of Jurassic Park was Stan Winston. It always gets held up as this CGI pinnacle but most of the key scenes people relate to are all animatronic wizardry.

The end battle of Avatar didn't have much weight to it. HomeTree/Eywa coming down got me, that worked well enough, but after that it was very much George Lucas in the director chair. i.e. "Let's throw as much CGI shit on screen as humanly possible and it will look awesome! Especially in 3D!" Random soldiers getting shot with arrows, tossed off ships, etc. lacked any kind of "punch." Oddly enough the closing fight with the Mech and Jake & Ney'teri DID work.

Coincidentally when I read maingnon's post the first example that came to mind for me was also Return of the Jedi. Hate 'em or not, the Ewok battle had that "punch" that Avatar seemed to be lacking.

So like Draven, I cannot put it into words either, how to properly explain it. (I feel the exact same way about LOTR) Unlike Draven, I really enjoyed the flick though.
Old 01-18-10, 12:35 AM
  #67  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Duluth, GA, USA
Posts: 37,782
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: So What Does Cameron Do Now?

Y'all sound like y'all are having a tough time suspending your disbelief.
Old 01-18-10, 12:56 AM
  #68  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: USDA Zone 6a
Posts: 1,738
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: So What Does Cameron Do Now?

[QUOTE=Kurtie Dee;9947548]Has anyone encountered any Avatar porn yet? It has to be out there ...


NSFW:
Mod Note: Nudity is not allowed. Don't do it again.

Last edited by Supermallet; 01-19-10 at 08:40 PM.
Old 01-18-10, 01:08 AM
  #69  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Rypro 525's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: a frikin hellhole
Posts: 28,264
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: So What Does Cameron Do Now?

uhhh, you may wanna put a spoiler nsfw tag, while its 1:08 in the morning, so no one gets in trouble tomorrow
Old 01-18-10, 01:45 AM
  #70  
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Formerly known as "Solid Snake PAC"/Denton, Tx
Posts: 39,239
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: So What Does Cameron Do Now?

Originally Posted by maingon View Post
no way, there was no video game cut scene feel to avatar. It felt very real, Everything carried weight. Explosions didn't seem fake, (plus most explosions in movies are usually enhanced anyways so they aren't real anyways), There were no problems of weight or speed to anything. If your problem is Computer animated character, then can you connect to a movie like UP? , Jurassic Park? What else they gonna do with a movie like Avatar thats set on another planet? Theres no way they could do that movie? You dont make sense.
No, I somewhat agree w/ him. Cameron's action had weight. Not to say I didn't like Avatar (I liked it a lot it's not #1 of 09 but it's up for being what it is in it's filmmaking feat). I liked the action in it but seeing ex: Arnold doing that shoot out in the public restroom made you feel it in a way. That was in True Lies.
Old 01-18-10, 02:06 AM
  #71  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 1,798
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: So What Does Cameron Do Now?

Originally Posted by Kurtie Dee View Post
Has anyone encountered any Avatar porn yet? It has to be out there ...
That's gonna get someone in trouble tomorrow.

(right-click, save as...)
Old 01-18-10, 04:08 AM
  #72  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
UAIOE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: LV-426
Posts: 6,598
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: So What Does Cameron Do Now?

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
ISecond 90 percent of Jurassic Park was Stan Winston. It always gets held up as this CGI pinnacle but most of the key scenes people relate to are all animatronic wizardry.
I started reading the "Making of Jurassic Park" book, and I was blown away at how *little* CGI was actually used in the movie.

Now I know why the FX don't look so horrible, most of them were practical.
Old 01-18-10, 07:04 PM
  #73  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Numanoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Down in 'The Park'
Posts: 27,881
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: So What Does Cameron Do Now?

I don't think you can link to that, even if it's spoilerized.
Old 01-18-10, 07:43 PM
  #74  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Under a dead Ohio sky
Posts: 5,820
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: So What Does Cameron Do Now?

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC View Post
I think Cameron for the small number of films he's done is a better director than Spielberg. I love Spielberg but....he's become hit and miss for the most part.

Cameron has a higher batting average to be sure. But Spielberg is more prolific and still has a larger catalog of great movies. And he proved with Munich he can still hit them out of the park.

ET
Jaws
Indiana Jones 1,2 & 3
Close Encounters
Duel
Color Purple
Empire of the Sun
Schindlers List
Munich
Jurassic Park
Saving Private Ryan
Old 01-18-10, 07:49 PM
  #75  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Rosemount, MN
Posts: 38,084
Received 529 Likes on 346 Posts
Re: So What Does Cameron Do Now?

Originally Posted by Patman View Post
Y'all sound like y'all are having a tough time suspending your disbelief.
I suspend my disbelief just fine when there is some element of reality to ground the picture. Avatar had very little to relate to as a live-action movie, since nearly everything was CGI or CGI-enhanced. As I said before, the Star Wars prequels suffer from the exact same thing.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.