Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Third and the Seventh (mind-boggling short film)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 01-11-10, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Watch at least some of the video here, and not on Vimeo (a minute or two), and then read the spoiler below.

<object width="853" height="505"><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="movie" value="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=7809605&server=vimeo.com&show_title=1&show_byline=1&show_portrait=0&color=&ful lscreen=1" /><embed src="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=7809605&server=vimeo.com&show_title=1&show_byline=1&show_portrait=0&color=&ful lscreen=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="853" height="505"></embed></object>

The Third & The Seventh from Alex Roman on Vimeo.

Spoiler:
With the exception of a few things, such as the man occasionally shown operating the camera, the entirety of this video is computer generated. A second video, revealing some of the work, can be seen here: http://vimeo.com/8200251
Old 01-11-10, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
Re: The Third and the Seventh (mind-boggling short film)

I saw that a few days ago and I hate to be negative but I think some of it is a hoax. If it is 100% authentic that guy needs a studio job ASAP.
Old 01-11-10, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
I saw that a few days ago and I hate to be negative but I think some of it is a hoax. If it is 100% authentic that guy needs a studio job ASAP.
Spoiler:
I think he's found a lot of creative ways to make what would normally be cheap-looking techniques work very well for what he's doing, but I believe it. In most of the shots, you can just barely tell it isn't real.
Old 01-11-10, 11:12 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

As soon as I read your instructions I knew what it was going to be. Still very well done.
Old 01-12-10, 01:26 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

I don't get it. Wow he made incredibly detailed and realistic renderings of real places. Why not just go to the real place and shoot? Many of those buildings are Louis Khan buildings.

He rendered digitally a bunch of things that could just as easily be photographed for real. I'm not even convinced they are digital. It's just really beautiful motion picture photography with digital details added, like smoke effects, little airplanes flying. Probably all that obnoxious focus pulling is digital too. He needs to stop doing that.

Last edited by Mabuse; 01-12-10 at 01:28 PM.
Old 01-13-10, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Mabuse
Probably all that obnoxious focus pulling is digital too. He needs to stop doing that.
Ironic. I think the focus pulling is what "sells" it for me as real.
Old 01-13-10, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Probably all that obnoxious focus pulling is digital too. He needs to stop doing that.
I don't have much hands-on with post (mostly just what I've read in books). But why would anyone complicate things by adding focus pulls in post? You just use a longer lens at closer proximities.

[Hey, I won't delete that text like a coward.]

Just read the "spoiler" in the first post. I didn't know that it was all CG. Very interesting. I guess that's the "mind blowing" part, which I didn't quite get while watching it.

I wonder how many hours to took to do the work? Just about anything can be done, with amazing detail, when there's enough labor involved. And, of course, you have access to the right software (which can range from $3k to $50k).
Old 01-13-10, 01:09 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

I read the spoiler, I just don't believe it. And if it's true I wonder what the point is. How useful is it to construct a CGI version of a famous building that's indistinguishable from the real building? Just go film the real building!

I think this is all authentic motion picture photography that has been processed in post using digital effects tools (like the focus pulls, steam, airplane, color correction, etc). Not 100% CGI rendered visuals.
Old 01-13-10, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I read the spoiler, I just don't believe it. And if it's true I wonder what the point is. How useful is it to construct a CGI version of a famous building that's indistinguishable from the real building? Just go film the real building!

I think this is all authentic motion picture photography that has been processed in post using digital effects tools (like the focus pulls, steam, airplane, color correction, etc). Not 100% CGI rendered visuals.
As it also says in the spoilers, there is another video showing the wireframe breakdowns and whatnot that were used to create some of the shots. Like I said in response to Suprmallet, it could be fake, but I think it's equally likely that he just found a lot of clever ways to make cheap tricks really work.

I just think it's interesting because, while of course, someday it will be possible to create, say, an entire movie out of CG and have it be photorealistic, it's still interesting to see how far they've gotten already.