Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

U.S. Military-related Commercials Shown at Movie Theaters: Right or Wrong?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Military-related commericals shown in movie theaters: right or wrong?
Yes, it's wrong before any kind of film.
21.13%
Yes, It's wrong before kids movies, but not a big deal before PG-13/R-rated films.
12.68%
No, I'm not disturbed by the U.S. military's propaganda commercials.
66.20%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

U.S. Military-related Commercials Shown at Movie Theaters: Right or Wrong?

Old 01-08-10, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: U.S. Military-related Commercials Shown at Movie Theaters: Right or Wrong?

Originally Posted by toddly6666

The other problem I have is since I have a gun in my closet, I've been telling my son that it's a toy gun, because real guns are bad and toy ones are okay. When should I tell him the truth?
Old 01-08-10, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 762 Likes on 493 Posts

that's the whole point - now vs. later.

The other problem I have is since I have a gun in my closet, I've been telling my son that it's a toy gun, because real guns are bad and toy ones are okay. When should I tell him the truth?
Uh, you should have already told him. No offense, but telling your child that a real gun is nothing more than a toy is not the smartest thing to do. Let's just hope that your boy doesn't decide to go play with daddy's toy gun. Please tell me you're kidding about that. From how this thread has gone so far, I really can't tell.

"Later" is such a convenient time because it's never now. It's always easy to say, "Oh, I'll do that later." It's a stall tactic. We've given you many reasonable explanations to give to your child about the military, but I don't think you really want them, despite what you've said in some of your posts. Don't raise your child in a box!

And please quit making the "you don't have kids" excuse. Plenty of parents have spoken up as well, and you have disregarded what they say, too. And even if we don't have kids, I think we are all somewhat qualified because, you know, we do have experience being kids at one time.

One last thing about your gun statement. I'm far from a gun nut. I don't have one and don't really like them. But telling your kid that real guns are bad? That's ridiculous! A gun is a tool, much like a chainsaw, a hammer, a screwdriver. It's all in how it's used. Why don't you teach your child that instead of instilling fear into him? And hey, I thought you were trying to raise your child in an environment completely devoid of fear? Telling your child that real guns are bad doesn't really go with that philosophy.

Last edited by clckworang; 01-08-10 at 11:59 AM.
Old 01-08-10, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 232 Likes on 165 Posts

I love watching violence on tv/movies whether it's real or make-believe.
Real violence? Are you talking about sports?
Old 01-08-10, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was kidding about the guns. I don't have a real one in the house. The only gun he has is a Nerf Power Popper gun which is pretty sweet.

Aight, I've heard enough. Good advice from all. I don't have a super stance or belief on this, not trying to debate anyone. I was just casually expressing why I thought it's an annoyance at the movie theaters if you bring your kid. I actually don't mind any commercials before the trailers as long as those commercials are shown before the starting movie time.
Originally Posted by clckworang

And please quit making the "you don't have kids" excuse. Plenty of parents have spoken up as well, and you have disregarded what they say, too. And even if we don't have kids, I think we are all somewhat qualified because, you know, we do have experience being kids at one time.
That I have to disagree with you. You don't know anything about parenting until you have them yourself. Once you have kids yourself someday, come back here, bump this thread and prove me right or wrong. But don't rush it - enjoy your free time while you have it now! And if you are really into your home theater, make sure to move into a house before having kids so that you can enjoy your hobby without waking up the wife and babies. That's a whole other thread though: "living in an apartment + having kids = bye bye home theater (at least until they get older)". I'll tell you how serious I am about "being upset over military commercials." If someone gave me the hypothetical scenario if I could blast my home theater again without anyone to tell me to turn it down, but the catch is that military commercials will play on Disney and PBS all the time, then I say hell yeah!

Last edited by toddly6666; 01-08-10 at 12:27 PM.
Old 01-08-10, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That I have to disagree with you. You don't know anything about parenting until you have them yourself.
Not saying this is you, but this is the excuse many parents use as the reason why they bring their screaming child into a movie theater.
Old 01-08-10, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
Not saying this is you, but this is the excuse many parents use as the reason why they bring their screaming child into a movie theater.
Those parents are called ASSHOLES. That's just parents being assholes to others. I can understand not affording babysitting, but if one is already paying tons over 50 bucks to take a whole family of screaming kids to the theater, I think those parents can afford to pay a little something for a babysitter.

Originally Posted by Artman
Real violence? Are you talking about sports?
any violence. Sports, news, movies, war, natural disasters. All entertaining to watch.

Last edited by toddly6666; 01-08-10 at 12:47 PM.
Old 01-08-10, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was kidding about the guns. I don't have a real one in the house. The only gun he has is a Nerf Power Popper gun which is pretty sweet.

Aight, I've heard enough. Good advice from all. I don't have a super stance or belief on this, not trying to debate anyone. I was just casually expressing why I thought it's an annoyance at the movie theaters if you bring your kid. I actually don't mind any commercials before the trailers as long as those commercials are shown before the starting movie time.

That I have to disagree with you. You don't know anything about parenting until you have them yourself. Once you have kids yourself someday, come back here, bump this thread and prove me right or wrong. But don't rush it - enjoy your free time while you have it now! And if you are really into your home theater, make sure to move into a house before having kids so that you can enjoy your hobby without waking up the wife and babies. That's a whole other thread though: "living in an apartment + having kids = bye bye home theater (at least until they get older)". I'll tell you how serious I am about "being upset over military commercials." If someone gave me the hypothetical scenario if I could blast my home theater again without anyone to tell me to turn it down, but the catch is that military commercials will play on Disney and PBS all the time, then I say hell yeah!
That is such a cop out. So since I'm not a pro golfer and have never slept with God knows how many mistresses I can't comment on the Tiger Woods story? Since I've never been president of the United States I can't give my opinion on how good of a job Obama is doing? Since I've never played in the NFL I can't say that the Lions suck? There are millions of other examples I could keep going with, but since I don't have kids, that automatically means that any opinion I might have on that subject should instantly be disregarded? Ridiculous.

And by the way, why bring the Rupublican vs Democrat argument into this? Why should being a Republican make it easier to teach your children about the world? If that's the case then I REALLY wish everybody was a Republican if Democrats really are incapable of teaching their children properly.
Old 01-08-10, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by whoopdido
That is such a cop out. So since I'm not a pro golfer and have never slept with God knows how many mistresses I can't comment on the Tiger Woods story? Since I've never been president of the United States I can't give my opinion on how good of a job Obama is doing? Since I've never played in the NFL I can't say that the Lions suck? There are millions of other examples I could keep going with, but since I don't have kids, that automatically means that any opinion I might have on that subject should instantly be disregarded? Ridiculous.

And by the way, why bring the Rupublican vs Democrat argument into this? Why should being a Republican make it easier to teach your children about the world? If that's the case then I REALLY wish everybody was a Republican if Democrats really are incapable of teaching their children properly.
Of course you can have an opinion about anything, but I wouldn't want you running an elementary school board.

You are taking this too seriously. I'm busting on both the stereotype of a Republican and the stereotype of a Democrat. As a Democrat, I think it would be easier to raise a child if I was a religious Republican. That's the benefit of being a religious Republican. Republicans don't give conflicting answers to anyone and they stick to their beliefs!

Republican Family:
Kid: "Why can't I take his toy?"
Parent: "Because I said so. God will punish you. You will go to hell for doing it. Do it again and I will spank you."

Democrat Family:
Kid: Why can't I take his toy?
Parent: "sit down, calm down, give me a hug first. You can't take his toy because it's not nice to take other people's toys. How would you like it if someone took your soy-based, earth-friendly wood car? That wouldn't be nice, would it? Now here, give me another hug, take your ritilin and let daddy get back to tweeting about how J.J. Abrams' STAR TREK is insulting to true STAR TREK fans."

Last edited by toddly6666; 01-08-10 at 02:39 PM.
Old 01-08-10, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Of course you can have an opinion about anything, but I wouldn't want you running an elementary school board.

You are taking this too seriously. I'm busting on both the stereotype of a Republican and the stereotype of a Democrat. As a Democrat, I think it would be easier to raise a child if I was a religious Republican. That's the benefit of being a religious Republican. Republicans don't give conflicting answers to anyone and they stick to their beliefs!

Republican Family:
Kid: "Why can't I take his toy?"
Parent: "Because I said so. God will punish you. You will go to hell for doing it. Do it again and I will spank you."

Democrat Family:
Kid: Why can't I take his toy?
Parent: "sit down, calm down, give me a hug first. You can't take his toy because it's not nice to take other people's toys. How would you like it if someone took your soy-based, earth-friendly wood car? That wouldn't be nice, would it? Now here, give me another hug, take your ritilin and let daddy get back to tweeting about how J.J. Abrams' STAR TREK is insulting to true STAR TREK fans."
Ha ha. Actually that's pretty funny.

Just keep in mind that most of our leaders (both Republican and Democrat) have no experience in the job they're currently employed in.
Old 01-08-10, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just keep in mind that most of our leaders (both Republican and Democrat) have no experience in the job they're currently employed in.
What are you talking about? They had years and years of experience in bullshit before they became professional B.S. artists!

As much as I love Obama, I find it funny that Democrats or liberal media isn't really saying anything about the war he's continuing.
Old 01-08-10, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It is the epitome of Propaganda.

The USSR would have been proud of this blatant, over the top, TERRIBLE, JOKE of a commercial.

I keep expecting to see large statues of Lenin in the background.

I make fun of it every time I see it played. Plus one version is like 5 minutes long! I don't want to deal with 5 minutes of this shit!

Americans SHOULD be completely embarrassed!

This is EXACTLY the same kind of flag-waving-nut-job-motherland CRAP that Americans would look upon with derision...if it was another Country doing it.

Stupid. Stupid. Stupid. Stupid.
Old 01-08-10, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by foofighters7
it is the epitome of propaganda.

The ussr would have been proud of this blatant, over the top, terrible, joke of a commercial.

I keep expecting to see large statues of lenin in the background.

I make fun of it every time i see it played. Plus one version is like 5 minutes long! I don't want to deal with 5 minutes of this shit!

Americans should be completely embarrassed!

This is exactly the same kind of flag-waving-nut-job-motherland crap that americans would look upon with derision...if it was another country doing it.

Stupid. Stupid. Stupid. Stupid.
lol.
Old 01-08-10, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What are you talking about? They had years and years of experience in bullshit before they became professional B.S. artists!

As much as I love Obama, I find it funny that Democrats or liberal media isn't really saying anything about the war he's continuing.
Well to be fair, the liberal media hasn't said much about the other promises he made during the campaign and has yet to make good on them.
Old 01-08-10, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Is anyone else annoyed by this?
I'm annoyed by your douchebaggy poll choices.
Old 01-08-10, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
I'm annoyed by your douchebaggy poll choices.
My poll is propaganda. Everyone that voted No is admitting that the US military commercials are in fact propaganda meant to brainwash.
Old 01-09-10, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Three pages late, but I think I'm caught up. My first point of contention is with the legal ruling that said that these paid commercials are not part of the film and that if we wish to avoid them, we should arrive in time just for the film. Find me a theater that permits patrons to peruse audience halls just for commercials and trailers, and we'll talk about what isn't part of your paid experience. More importantly, that entirely ignores every other reason someone might wish to arrive "early" (or, as I like to call it, "on time"), such as securing desirable seats. As a movie-going American citizen, I'm outraged that any judge would be so oblivious to such inconveniences in a ruling over movie-going inconveniences.

That said, most of the issues raised in this thread probably belong more to Otter-land. I understand why toddly6666 is uncomfortable connecting the military with his four year old. My dad is a Vietnam veteran, I grew up with G.I. Joe cartoons, comics and figures and yet even still, there are many aspects about discussing the military that make me uncomfortable. I can't articulate why this is, nor do I feel the need to defend it to anyone; I only mention it because I understand the OP's feelings on the matter. I do, however, think that other posters have already made genuinely helpful suggestions for addressing the issue quickly and to the satisfaction of most inquisitive four year-olds.

I balk far more at the male enhancement commercials during sports games, though. I'd much rather explain what the nature of the military is than have to address what erectile dysfunction is during the third inning. I'm sure we're only a few years away from a generation of stand-up comics raised on these ads whose material will go something like:

"So I was, like, four or five and it was Christmas and my dad, my uncles and my grandpa were all watching the game on TV. And there was a commercial that showed a guy about his age all frumpy and then he spoke to his doctor about his 'e.d.' and he got some pills and then he and his wife were happy again. So at dinner, I asked my mom if she thought daddy needed pills for his e.d. so she could be happy again. Now, I gotta say, my dad was pretty pissed about the whole thing, but I was a hit with my uncles, who thought it was very funny to laugh at my dad."
Old 01-09-10, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
Three pages late, but I think I'm caught up. My first point of contention is with the legal ruling that said that these paid commercials are not part of the film and that if we wish to avoid them, we should arrive in time just for the film. Find me a theater that permits patrons to peruse audience halls just for commercials and trailers, and we'll talk about what isn't part of your paid experience. More importantly, that entirely ignores every other reason someone might wish to arrive "early" (or, as I like to call it, "on time"), such as securing desirable seats. As a movie-going American citizen, I'm outraged that any judge would be so oblivious to such inconveniences in a ruling over movie-going inconveniences.

That said, most of the issues raised in this thread probably belong more to Otter-land. I understand why toddly6666 is uncomfortable connecting the military with his four year old. My dad is a Vietnam veteran, I grew up with G.I. Joe cartoons, comics and figures and yet even still, there are many aspects about discussing the military that make me uncomfortable. I can't articulate why this is, nor do I feel the need to defend it to anyone; I only mention it because I understand the OP's feelings on the matter. I do, however, think that other posters have already made genuinely helpful suggestions for addressing the issue quickly and to the satisfaction of most inquisitive four year-olds.

I balk far more at the male enhancement commercials during sports games, though. I'd much rather explain what the nature of the military is than have to address what erectile dysfunction is during the third inning. I'm sure we're only a few years away from a generation of stand-up comics raised on these ads whose material will go something like:

"So I was, like, four or five and it was Christmas and my dad, my uncles and my grandpa were all watching the game on TV. And there was a commercial that showed a guy about his age all frumpy and then he spoke to his doctor about his 'e.d.' and he got some pills and then he and his wife were happy again. So at dinner, I asked my mom if she thought daddy needed pills for his e.d. so she could be happy again. Now, I gotta say, my dad was pretty pissed about the whole thing, but I was a hit with my uncles, who thought it was very funny to laugh at my dad."
If the above represents an example of the future comic's set, I don't think he or she will have a very long career.
Old 01-09-10, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

If the above represents an example of the future comic's set, I don't think he or she will have a very long career.
If I'd had access to today's top comics's material five years ago, I don't think I would have guessed anyone would find them funny, either. For the record, I don't think the hypothetical material is funny, either, but rather an idea of what we can expect to be inundated with in the coming years.
Old 01-09-10, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If I'd had access to today's top comics's material five years ago, I don't think I would have guessed anyone would find them funny, either. For the record, I don't think the hypothetical material is funny, either, but rather an idea of what we can expect to be inundated with in the coming years.
I was just bustin your chops a bit.

Personally, I hate stand up comics. I just don't find the VAST majority of them, even the supposed good ones, funny in the least.
Old 01-09-10, 09:01 PM
Political Exile

Was that that rock song one where the little blond boy gets saved at the end and the one where the depressed-looking soldier is lying down against the wall waiting to be saved by a helicoptor? That's probably the most annoying one. And it's super long as well. "No one left behind" mumbo jumbo.
"No one left behind" isn't mumbo jumbo. You just don't get it

BTW I could do without all commercials before a movie. I'd rather have more trailers.

and I didn't vote in the pole
Old 01-09-10, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Three pages late, but I think I'm caught up. My first point of contention is with the legal ruling that said that these paid commercials are not part of the film and that if we wish to avoid them, we should arrive in time just for the film. Find me a theater that permits patrons to peruse audience halls just for commercials and trailers, and we'll talk about what isn't part of your paid experience.
If the commercials air before the scheduled start of the show -- and that's how it's supposed to be done -- then it's not part of the paid experience. You're only paying for what comes after the start-time.

I don't see the big deal about the commercials -- I don't enjoy them, but they're better than the old days when you'd have to listen to Muzak until showtime.
Old 01-09-10, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 392 Likes on 279 Posts

They're not wrong. But I don't like them. All l I can do is be an American, by letting people decide for themselves, no matter how stupid they are.

And I give less and less of a shit about stupid people anymore. If you're too stupid to pay your mortgage or join the military for the wrong reasons, then fuck you. You deserve your forclosure or (if it be) your military burial. I hope it was worth it to you.

All I can do is be a helpful mentor and lend a hand to the few people I know. In my perfect world, everyone would do this, making radicals and general need for heavily-influential politics and government would fade.

Fear and hate start with very little action (if any) and is perpetuated by word of mouth (starting with the media). Tragic things happen, yes. But when 3000 American citizens die, it's blown out of proportion by the media, targeting people who aren't familiar with world events. Everything else is just fear of a future that's never going to come; people waiting for armageddon, something sensational to give their lives meaning.

Just sit there and watch the damn ad. It's propaganda. If the world around me is stupid enough to fall for it, we all deserve the state we're in. America is free, even for the stupid people with wild imaginations.

I guess that I can put it like this, too: Some people go to McDonalds because of the advertisements. I go there because a Big Mac is fucking delicious (once a week, so be it), and the kid loves the playground there, and there's usually other kids to play with.

Last edited by Troy Stiffler; 01-09-10 at 11:46 PM.
Old 01-10-10, 03:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara
If the commercials air before the scheduled start of the show -- and that's how it's supposed to be done -- then it's not part of the paid experience. You're only paying for what comes after the start-time.
I'd argue that once the lights go down, that is the start of the paid experience.

The "coke flying car concession stand shill" is one thing, and I understand its purpose, but why do I have to sit and watch car commercials?
Old 01-10-10, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,324 Likes on 965 Posts

Originally Posted by UAIOE
I'd argue that once the lights go down, that is the start of the paid experience.
I'd take it one step further. Once I sit down and my focus is the screen, that's when my paid experience starts.
Old 01-10-10, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by TomOpus
I'd take it one step further. Once I sit down and my focus is the screen, that's when my paid experience starts.
People keep talking about the paid experience...well, without those commercials, you'd be paying more.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.