Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

U.S. Military-related Commercials Shown at Movie Theaters: Right or Wrong?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Military-related commericals shown in movie theaters: right or wrong?
Yes, it's wrong before any kind of film.
15
21.13%
Yes, It's wrong before kids movies, but not a big deal before PG-13/R-rated films.
9
12.68%
No, I'm not disturbed by the U.S. military's propaganda commercials.
47
66.20%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

U.S. Military-related Commercials Shown at Movie Theaters: Right or Wrong?

Old 01-07-10, 04:57 PM
  #76  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Josh-da-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Bible Belt
Posts: 44,598
Received 2,971 Likes on 2,029 Posts
Re: U.S. Military-related Commercials Shown at Movie Theaters: Right or Wrong?

Originally Posted by whoopdido
I'm sorry, this will be hard to say without offending, but when did parents become such pussies?
When Justin Timberlake whipped Janet Jackson's big floppy tit out during the Super Bowl.
Old 01-07-10, 05:01 PM
  #77  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
clckworang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: The toe nail of Texas
Posts: 9,560
Received 762 Likes on 493 Posts
Re: U.S. Military-related Commercials Shown at Movie Theaters: Right or Wrong?

Originally Posted by whoopdido
Exactly my feelings. I had the same type of upbringing you did and I truly think many parents today would think of us as abused and neglected children. I just really wonder what kids of today are going to be like 15-20 years from now when they've never been allowed to grow up and always had mommy and daddy watching over them to make sure nothing bad ever happened.
Yep, I had the same upbringing. I remember walking to and from school when I was in first grade. I knew that there were bad strangers out there and was told how to handle it. I was never overcome with fear about it or anything like that.

My parents had slight restrictions on what I watched, but not much. Having been born in 1977, I was naturally a Star Wars freak for as long as I can remember. Plenty of conflict and military in there. My parents explained the differences between fantasy and reality and didn't hide the nature of the world from me.

The one thing I can remember my parents not allowing me to watch were Friday the 13th films, which was weird because my dad actually took me to the theater to see Nightmare on Elm Street 3.

Originally Posted by Poink
Ooooh... I... err... I was assuming this would be a year or two from now when the kid is 6 and is ready to learn *everything* all at once.

Seriously though, it's not *that* hard to teach someone about conflict; every story ever told has a conflict. Or use sports as an analogy. There's options.

"America has a military because sometimes other countries want to be mean and force other people to do things they don't want to do. Would you like it if I made you wear red EVERY day? No? Well, sometimes we have to stop bad people from forcing us or other people from having to wear red every day. Or sometimes the bad people want to move into the good people's homes, and we need the Army to stop them from doing this."

I know... it's not perfect, but you get the idea.
In all seriousness, I do totally agree with you. Kids know much more about conflict than what I think many parents give them credit for.

Last edited by clckworang; 01-07-10 at 07:31 PM.
Old 01-07-10, 05:26 PM
  #78  
Banned by request
 
Supermallet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Termite Terrace
Posts: 54,150
Likes: 0
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: U.S. Military-related Commercials Shown at Movie Theaters: Right or Wrong?

Originally Posted by SuckaMC
Considering you have the luxury to take you child to the movie because of what the military does for you, I think that sitting through a bad commercial is the least you can do.
I've always loved this line of argument. We wouldn't be here without the military, therefore, let the military do whatever they want! And what's more, you should be grateful, too! Those 4 minute ads are the best thing that ever happened to you!

I hate the ads in as much as I hate all pre-show advertising. That is to say, I have nothing but contempt and disdain for them, but the same amount of contempt and disdain I have for all the Coke, Honda, and Sprint ads.

I will say this, though. I have customers at my theater who complain about the ads in general, and then I have parents who complain specifically about military ads on kids movies. So toddly is not alone on that one.
Old 01-07-10, 06:22 PM
  #79  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 4,476
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: U.S. Military-related Commercials Shown at Movie Theaters: Right or Wrong?

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
I've always loved this line of argument. We wouldn't be here without the military, therefore, let the military do whatever they want! And what's more, you should be grateful, too! Those 4 minute ads are the best thing that ever happened to you!
I've never heard anyone say we should let the military do whatever they want, and definitely nobody in this thread. But yes, we should be grateful to them.
Old 01-07-10, 06:22 PM
  #80  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 5,147
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: U.S. Military-related Commercials Shown at Movie Theaters: Right or Wrong?

What are these ads showing? The ones at my theater just show them saving people & maybe a few tanks, choppers & jets. I can't remember any ever showing them shooting at the enemy.

By 4, don't most kids know the military exists & find tanks & jets cool? If the kid asks, just say they are like the police & keep people safe. Kids do know about police at 4 right? If your kid knows Dr. Doom, just say the miltary are like the Fantastic Four and keep people safe.
Old 01-07-10, 08:25 PM
  #81  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Puyallup
Posts: 16,430
Likes: 0
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: U.S. Military-related Commercials Shown at Movie Theaters: Right or Wrong?

Originally Posted by resinrats
What are these ads showing? The ones at my theater just show them saving people & maybe a few tanks, choppers & jets. I can't remember any ever showing them shooting at the enemy.

By 4, don't most kids know the military exists & find tanks & jets cool? If the kid asks, just say they are like the police & keep people safe. Kids do know about police at 4 right? If your kid knows Dr. Doom, just say the miltary are like the Fantastic Four and keep people safe.
they are showing what you are saying..some tanks..people rescuing people etc. some people just have issues with the military and/or don't want to have 'difficult' discussions with their children.
Old 01-07-10, 09:33 PM
  #82  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 6,306
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: U.S. Military-related Commercials Shown at Movie Theaters: Right or Wrong?

Originally Posted by BJacks
I've never heard anyone say we should let the military do whatever they want, and definitely nobody in this thread. But yes, we should be grateful to them.
Exactly.
Old 01-07-10, 10:05 PM
  #83  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 10,943
Received 232 Likes on 165 Posts
Re: U.S. Military-related Commercials Shown at Movie Theaters: Right or Wrong?

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
I've always loved this line of argument. We wouldn't be here without the military, therefore, let the military do whatever they want!
I found it to be a pretty common sense line of reasoning. But, my mind doesn't automatically jump to extremes either...
Old 01-07-10, 10:17 PM
  #84  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 6,306
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: U.S. Military-related Commercials Shown at Movie Theaters: Right or Wrong?

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
I've always loved this line of argument. We wouldn't be here without the military, therefore, let the military do whatever they want! And what's more, you should be grateful, too! Those 4 minute ads are the best thing that ever happened to you!
By the way, what exactly is the military doing that they shouldn't be? Or what are they doing that should worry us?
Old 01-07-10, 10:21 PM
  #85  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 1,829
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: U.S. Military-related Commercials Shown at Movie Theaters: Right or Wrong?

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
I've always loved this line of argument. We wouldn't be here without the military, therefore, let the military do whatever they want! And what's more, you should be grateful, too! Those 4 minute ads are the best thing that ever happened to you!
Ha ha! You managed to quote me and misquote all in one post. Sweet!
Old 01-08-10, 12:39 AM
  #86  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 6,290
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: U.S. Military-related Commercials Shown at Movie Theaters: Right or Wrong?

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
I will say this, though. I have customers at my theater who complain about the ads in general.
You work at a movie theater? That's cool. What do you do there?

So, do you know how much money a theater gets to play any kind of ads?
Old 01-08-10, 03:52 AM
  #87  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
davidh777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Home of 2013 NFL champion Seahawks
Posts: 53,061
Received 1,084 Likes on 892 Posts
Re: U.S. Military-related Commercials Shown at Movie Theaters: Right or Wrong?

Originally Posted by whoopdido
I could list example after example but do parents really did to walk their kids to the bus stop and stand there with them every single day? And not just 1 parent. I can see a team of parents taking turns watching over a group of kids, but I see it all the time...8 kids at the bus stop and 8 parents standing there with them wiping their noses and tying their shoes for them. 20 years ago my parents waved goodbye as I walked to the bus stop. When do parents think their kids are old enough to know about "bad things" and that life isn't all pussy cats and rainbows?
Yeah, and my parents thought nothing of letting us go off trick-or-treating for hours, or disappearing for the day on our bicycles. People just don't do that any more, with all the horror stories.
Old 01-08-10, 04:08 AM
  #88  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
UAIOE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: LV-426
Posts: 6,598
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: U.S. Military-related Commercials Shown at Movie Theaters: Right or Wrong?

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
they are showing what you are saying..some tanks..people rescuing people etc. some people just have issues with the military and/or don't want to have 'difficult' discussions with their children.
Well, there is more to the military than flying planes and blowing shit up.

I know what the ads won't show you, desk jobs where your task is to do extensive paper filing.
Old 01-08-10, 06:03 AM
  #89  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
The Bus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: New York
Posts: 54,916
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: U.S. Military-related Commercials Shown at Movie Theaters: Right or Wrong?

Originally Posted by toddly6666
It's not really a big deal if you don't have kids. If you have kids who ask a lot of questions, then it starts to get tricky.
Have they never seen a soldier? A police officer? A security guard?

They're 4 already. You haven't taken them to the range yet?
Old 01-08-10, 06:04 AM
  #90  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
The Bus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: New York
Posts: 54,916
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: U.S. Military-related Commercials Shown at Movie Theaters: Right or Wrong?

Originally Posted by davidh777
Yeah, and my parents thought nothing of letting us go off trick-or-treating for hours, or disappearing for the day on our bicycles. People just don't do that any more, with all the horror stories.
People still do that.
Old 01-08-10, 08:23 AM
  #91  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Michael Corvin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 62,588
Received 945 Likes on 667 Posts
Re: U.S. Military-related Commercials Shown at Movie Theaters: Right or Wrong?

Originally Posted by The Bus
They're 4 already. You haven't taken them to the range yet?
Old 01-08-10, 08:36 AM
  #92  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
MBoyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: AUSTIN - Land of Mexican Coke
Posts: 3,921
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: U.S. Military-related Commercials Shown at Movie Theaters: Right or Wrong?

10 things Movie Theaters Won't Tell You

2. "We get rich selling your eyes."

Theaters are drawing a bigger portion of their revenue these days from the on-screen advertising shown before the previews start. Revenue from these ads has been increasing by roughly 10 to 15 percent a year for the past several years, says Patrick Corcoran, spokesperson for the National Association of Theater Owners, and it's not going away anytime soon. That's because industry insiders rely on surveys like the one conducted in 2003 by marketing firm Arbitron that found two-thirds of audience members didn't mind them.

Some moviegoers do mind, of course -- more than 3,400 of them cared enough to sign a recent online petition demanding Regal Cinemas stop showing ads before movies. "I'm wondering why ticket prices are going up, and we're being forced to watch these ads at the same time," says Jason Thompson, who started the petition after growing frustrated with sitting through a string of ads before showtime. "The preshow presentation has been a part of theater exhibition for many years," says Dick Westerling, senior VP of marketing and advertising at Regal. What's more, thanks to digital technology, the preshow has become "more upscale and attractive."
They should survey DVDTALK!
Old 01-08-10, 09:17 AM
  #93  
DVD Talk Legend
 
d2cheer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Posts: 11,702
Received 334 Likes on 238 Posts
Re: U.S. Military-related Commercials Shown at Movie Theaters: Right or Wrong?

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
some people just have issues with the military and/or don't want to have 'difficult' discussions with their children.
Agree.

I have 5 kids 4 girls age range of 23 to 17, one boy 12.

Worrying about the military commercials because you don't want to deal with the tough questions is ridiculous and bordering on cowardly IMHO. Maybe that is too strong but it is how I feel.

I have no issue with them and didn't shy away from the "tough" questions from my kids. Believe me they are smarter than you think at an early age and can handle it.
Old 01-08-10, 09:46 AM
  #94  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 6,290
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: U.S. Military-related Commercials Shown at Movie Theaters: Right or Wrong?

Originally Posted by d2cheer
Agree.

I have 5 kids 4 girls age range of 23 to 17, one boy 12.

Worrying about the military commercials because you don't want to deal with the tough questions is ridiculous and bordering on cowardly IMHO. Maybe that is too strong but it is how I feel.

I have no issue with them and didn't shy away from the "tough" questions from my kids. Believe me they are smarter than you think at an early age and can handle it.
It's easier to talk about it if you are a Republican I suppose. Because if I had the Republican mentality, things are easier to explain as being black or white. It's a little bit more complicated when a "liberal democrat pussy" has to talk about military to their kids...

I'm not worried about it. I'm just passively annoyed by it. I'm not gonna go writing letters or complaining to movie theaters. I just wanted to see a G-rated cartoon, not military recruitment for kids. Like I said before, it's just the timing. I love watching violence on tv/movies whether it's real or make-believe. I'm in no rush to turn on CNN World News or Matrix and have my son sit down to watch that yet. Maybe next year, but not to a 4-year old.

Did you talk about intercourse to your daughters when they were 4 years old?

In places in the Middle East, such as Palestine, they got the same commercials glamorizing military. Do you like the idea of those Palestinian kids watching those recruitment commercials? Do you think their commercials are worse than ours? Or would you prefer that they be watching Arabic Sesame Street?
Old 01-08-10, 09:56 AM
  #95  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 1,516
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts
Re: U.S. Military-related Commercials Shown at Movie Theaters: Right or Wrong?

Four pages in and the obvious answer hasn't reared its head yet? If you are so concerned about having your son watching these commercials why don't you wait until the movie comes out on blu-ray before showing it to him? He gets to watch his movie and you don't have to watch an "military propaganda" or any type of commercial at all?
Old 01-08-10, 10:30 AM
  #96  
DVD Talk Legend
 
d2cheer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Posts: 11,702
Received 334 Likes on 238 Posts
Re: U.S. Military-related Commercials Shown at Movie Theaters: Right or Wrong?

Originally Posted by toddly6666
It's easier to talk about it if you are a Republican I suppose. Because if I had the Republican mentality, things are easier to explain as being black or white. It's a little bit more complicated when a "liberal democrat pussy" has to talk about military to their kids...

I'm not worried about it. I'm just passively annoyed by it. I'm not gonna go writing letters or complaining to movie theaters. I just wanted to see a G-rated cartoon, not military recruitment for kids. Like I said before, it's just the timing. I love watching violence on tv/movies whether it's real or make-believe. I'm in no rush to turn on CNN World News or Matrix and have my son sit down to watch that yet. Maybe next year, but not to a 4-year old.

Did you talk about intercourse to your daughters when they were 4 years old?

In places in the Middle East, such as Palestine, they got the same commercials glamorizing military. Do you like the idea of those Palestinian kids watching those recruitment commercials? Do you think their commercials are worse than ours? Or would you prefer that they be watching Arabic Sesame Street?
I don't want to get into how you raise your kids vs. how I raised mine debate. I presented my opinion on the ads which appears is the point of the thread. If my daughters would have asked about intercourse at 4 my wife and I would have dealt with it. It did not happen until later in my girls lives and we handled it appropriately IMHO.

As for the rest I am not the parents of the kids in the Middle East and donít live there, it is not for me to decide how they raise their kids and what they are exposed to, they have their culture and we have ours. I don't have to like or agree with it though which is my right.
Old 01-08-10, 11:03 AM
  #97  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Sean O'Hara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Vichy America
Posts: 13,533
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: U.S. Military-related Commercials Shown at Movie Theaters: Right or Wrong?

Originally Posted by toddly6666
It's not really a big deal if you don't have kids. If you have kids who ask a lot of questions, then it starts to get tricky.
Why?

You know, some of us actually grew up on army bases, surrounded by men in uniform carrying guns around. We turned out all right.
Old 01-08-10, 11:29 AM
  #98  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 6,290
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: U.S. Military-related Commercials Shown at Movie Theaters: Right or Wrong?

Originally Posted by d2cheer
It did not happen until later in my girls lives and we handled it appropriately IMHO.
that's the whole point - now vs. later.



The other problem I have is since I have a gun in my closet, I've been telling my son that it's a toy gun, because real guns are bad and toy ones are okay. When should I tell him the truth?
Old 01-08-10, 11:31 AM
  #99  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Hokeyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 20,438
Received 739 Likes on 450 Posts
Re: U.S. Military-related Commercials Shown at Movie Theaters: Right or Wrong?

Originally Posted by toddly6666
The other problem I have is since I have a gun in my closet, I've been telling my son that it's a toy gun, because real guns are bad and toy ones are okay. When should I tell him the truth?
You're obviously trolling now. If not, start shopping for tiny caskets.
Old 01-08-10, 11:47 AM
  #100  
DVD Talk Legend
 
d2cheer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Posts: 11,702
Received 334 Likes on 238 Posts
Re: U.S. Military-related Commercials Shown at Movie Theaters: Right or Wrong?

Originally Posted by toddly6666
that's the whole point - now vs. later.



I believe the point is it would have been addressed at the time the question about intercourse had been asked, not later.


You can't shelter them from everything in this world just try to be prepared for it when it occurs.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.