DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   J-Lo wonders why she didn't win an Oscar for "El Cantante" (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/567567-j-lo-wonders-why-she-didnt-win-oscar-el-cantante.html)

cungar 01-06-10 11:22 AM

J-Lo wonders why she didn't win an Oscar for "El Cantante"

'How dope would it have been if I would've won the Oscar and been here in my hospital bed accepting the award?' '

Jennifer Lopez sat down with Latina magazine for an interview, and in addition to talking about her marriage and the state of fame, she talked about how she wanted and still wants an Oscar, which she felt had a shot for the little-seen movie "El Cantante" that she made with husband Marc Anthony.

Scroll down to watch the trailer featuring J. Lo and judge for yourself.

From the magazine:

Why El Cantante was Oscar Worthy:

"I feel like I had that [Oscar worthy role] in El Cantante, but I don't even think the academy members saw it. I feel like it's their responsibility to do that, to see everything that's out there, everything that could be great." "Well, it is a little bit frustrating. It was funny; when the Oscars were on, I had just given birth on the 22nd, and the Oscars, I think, were a day or two later. I was sitting there with my twins--I couldn't have been happier--but I was like, 'How dope would it have been if I would've won the Oscar and been here in my hospital bed accepting the award?' 'Thank you so much! I just want to thank the academy!' But we joked about it. It's all good. Things will happen when they're supposed to happen. I have the utmost faith and no doubt that it will one day, when and if it's supposed to. You can't get all crazy twisted over it."

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3rze2GO3Lnk&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3rze2GO3Lnk&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

toddly6666 01-06-10 11:28 AM

Re: J-Lo wonders why she didn't win an Oscar for "El Cantante"

Originally Posted by cungar (Post 9926175)
It's all good. Things will happen when they're supposed to happen. I have the utmost faith and no doubt that it will one day, when and if it's supposed to. You can't get all crazy twisted over it."

For an actor to say that, it's probably not all good and she probably did get all crazy twisted over it....she's probably pissed that she didn't get Oscar-nominated for Selena as well.

Groucho 01-06-10 11:29 AM

Her best performance was in Out of Sight, but even that was not Oscar worthy.

starman9000 01-06-10 11:33 AM

I also feel like Academy members have the responsibility to watch everything. :lol:

Pointyskull 01-06-10 11:48 AM

The day she wins an Oscar for anything other than "sleaziest dress worn by an attention-starved attendee" I will forever disown Hollywood.

clappj 01-06-10 01:03 PM

Dope indeed!

Mabuse 01-06-10 01:07 PM

I might cut her some slack if she was argueing that she deserved the Oscar for best original song for that film, but best actress?!?!1 No

Defiant1 01-06-10 02:06 PM

Helen Mirren won for The Queen that year. J-Lo, you didn't stand a chance.

pjflyer 01-06-10 02:18 PM

The problem was that she went 80% retard.

tylergfoster 01-06-10 04:01 PM

Man, I was just wondering the same thing!

dx23 01-06-10 04:05 PM

El Cantante was a piece of shit, as simple as that, because of her and Marc Anthony.

Ash Ketchum 01-06-10 04:15 PM

Have you guys seen EL CANTANTE? J-Lo was basically playing herself. And, guess what? She was the bad guy in it. I don't think I've ever seen a movie produced by a star playing the leading role that made me hate the character the star was playing as much as this one. There's a scene where Lavoe's fellow musicians are debating what to do in Lavoe's absence when there's a show about to start and J-Lo interrupts and one of the musicians loudly asks, "What's she doing here?" If I'd been watching it in a theater I would have applauded that line. The film totally trashed Hector Lavoe (the salsa star that Marc Anthony played so unsympathetically) and gave us no hint of the real star's charisma or why he was so popular among Latin music fans back in the day. It was all about J-Lo.

I've always thought J-Lo could have been a voluptuous movie sex symbol in a 1950s vein like Jane Russell or Rhonda Fleming or Gina Lollobrigida or someone like that. But I'm wrong. She never lived up to even that standard. She had the looks and the body, but the wrong attitude. She didn't have that inner drive to please an audience the way the best sex symbols all did. J-Lo always wanted to please only one person. Herself. And I don't think she's ever really done that.

That interview segment proves just how delusional she is.

And, no, I don't think Academy members are obligated to see everything that comes out in a year. That's asking way too much. If you're a veteran voting member, you have a pretty good idea of what everyone else will be considering. So what if there's a little-seen indie or foreign film that played for one week and got little attention? If there's little chance of anyone else voting for it, it'll be a waste of time seeing it. You only screw up the process by voting for something you know no one else will vote for. If I were an Academy member, sure, I would have voted for PUNISHER WAR ZONE in a dozen categories last year, but I'd have done it only to tweak the process and screw up the voting. I'd be a fool to expect the thousands of other voters to go out and see PUNISHER WAR ZONE. And, yes, this year I would vote for Jason Statham and Megan Fox for Best Actor and Best Actress. But only to fuck with the process. (Which is not a good reason and I don't recommend it to anyone else, unless you've got even more creative choices than I do.) But I'm not gonna scream and yell if the other Academy voters didn't make the effort to see CRANK: HIGH VOLTAGE. And neither would Jason Statham. He's no fool. He's not delusional like J-Lo either. And he'll be a star for a helluva lot longer than her, too.

notkevinbacon 01-06-10 04:16 PM

"I feel like it's their responsibility to do that, to see everything that's out there, everything that could be great."

Um... sounds like they were doing there job then.

Maybe she was just jealous of Cruz's nomination that year? Not to mention that the other noms were Dench, Streep, Winslet...

And as pointed out... Mirren owned that year.

PopcornTreeCt 01-06-10 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho (Post 9926199)

:up:

cungar 01-06-10 04:26 PM

Some review quotes from Rottentomatoes.com (24%)

To Paraphrase Denis Leary: I'm stoned; I'm nobody. I'm stoned; I'm famous. I'm stoned; I'm dead.

Thought it was impossible to make the story of a drug-addicted musical icon boring? You were wrong.

Together, Lopez and Anthony have created the kind of wildly miscast and misconceived star couple vehicle that hasn't been seen since. . .well, since the infamous "Gigli" and even that film seems more explainable in retrospect than this one.

You're watching Jennifer Lopez, but you may as well be watching a female impersonator impersonating Jennifer Lopez.

Daytripper 01-06-10 05:29 PM

Damn. I was literally about to post the same response almost verbatim.

Hokeyboy 01-06-10 08:35 PM

Terrible movie, and she was terrible in it. For a movie ostensibly about Antony's character, it seemed to be ALL about Lopez and her crappy, forced, playing-to-the-back-of-the-theater but-even-fucking-THAT-up performance.

Abob Teff 01-06-10 08:45 PM

Jeez, I'm a famous, untalented hack who just had two children (which any parent would tell you should be one of the highest points of your life) ... why can't I have more!? I want more!?

http://z.about.com/d/dc/1/0/V/T/JenniferLopez.jpg

To:

http://kaneconsulting.files.wordpres...eruca_salt.jpg

GoldenJCJ 01-06-10 08:47 PM

I'm still wondering why she wasn't nominated for Monster-in-Law.

Supermallet 01-07-10 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by 12thmonkey (Post 9926246)
The day she wins an Oscar for anything other than "sleaziest dress worn by an attention-starved attendee" I will forever disown Hollywood.

Hey, who knows what will happen in the future. I certainly never thought Mo'nique would be nominated for an oscar, but that's likely to happen this year.

Solid Snake 01-07-10 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by Suprmallet (Post 9927828)
Hey, who knows what will happen in the future. I certainly never thought Mo'nique would be nominated for an oscar, but that's likely to happen this year.

ditto. I woudn't bash any actor from turning in a damn fine performance. I won't stop saying that they suck ex: Julia Roberts, until they convince me that they give such a performance.

LiquidSky 01-07-10 07:40 AM

Agreed.

MoviePage 01-07-10 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by Suprmallet (Post 9927828)

Likely? It's a dead certainty, and she's a near-lock to win.

islandclaws 01-07-10 12:18 PM

J-Lo will never win an Oscar for anything, and she doesn't deserve to, either.

Supermallet 01-07-10 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by MoviePage (Post 9928001)
Likely? It's a dead certainty, and she's a near-lock to win.

Yeah, don't remind me.