Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Films so good they make you cry by the end

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Films so good they make you cry by the end

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-10, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts
Re: Films so good they make you cry by the end

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
Remember good can mean different things to people. For Ex: I was crying in joy at the end of D9. Why? I just got overwhelmed by how good it was and that is was so well made especially for a genre type of film like it.
Do you go to the movies by yourself?
Old 01-05-10, 06:23 PM
Needs to Contact Admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually went and saw 'The Blind Side' today and will admit at times I had a tear in my eye.

I'm sure there are a few but the end of 'Pay It Forward' moved me. My Wife and I saw it at the movie theater and it was pretty pack and could hear plenty of sniffling etc
Old 01-05-10, 06:52 PM

I get teary eyed every freaking time when Daniel defeats Johnny at the end of Karate Kid, it just makes me so happy hehe... plus the music is awesome.
Old 01-05-10, 06:56 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by thematahara
Do you go to the movies by yourself?
for the films that I listed?

for that very short list I made.....I saw all of them on DVD. EXCEPT for TDK and D9. D9 for the 1st time I went solo in the morning I didn't have class I think, 2nd time w/ a friend. I didn't tear up the 2nd time...usually I don't after that 1st time. TDK I was with a crowd of friends and yeah, I teared up...it was my geek love for Batman and also pretty darn good filmmaking.

I don't' ball or stream tears. It's just..a few tears of joy or whatever, I don't lose myself lol.
Old 01-05-10, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Geeze you guys are sensitive.
Old 01-05-10, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

To Kill A Mockingbird. "Atticus would be with him all nightlong" monologue gets me every time.
Old 01-05-10, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hulkabrgr
I am probably in the minority, but for it is Empire of The Sun
+1

Also Peter Weir's 'Fearless'
Old 01-05-10, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts
Re: Films so good they make you cry

I know this is weird but we all love cinema. We all get emotional, and I can admit that being the film major I am, I get totally enveloped by the art of Cinema.

There are films sooo strong in some form to you that you cry cuz you watched something that good or amazing of a film that you just...cry of joy. Not sobbing (though that could happen to some) but enough to tear up and cry of joy.

For ex: Once Upon A Time In The West, I saw this movie for the 1st time 2 years ago and I just cried at the end. I had seen one of the greatest films ever and it impacted so much that I cried cuz it was so amazing.

Once Upon A Time In The West
Seven Samurai
For me it's THE BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES (1946), one of the first major Hollywood films about returning war vets from WWII. It won Best Picture for 1946.

I'm happy, Solid Snake, that you've got ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST and SEVEN SAMURAI on your list. I was lucky to see OUATITW on the big screen when it was first released, when I was a sophmore in high school. I saw the other Leone films afterwards. I saw SEVEN SAMURAI on the big screen less than two years later, when I was a senior in high school. Only a few weeks after seeing THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN on the big screen. And YOJIMBO a few weeks afterwards. I saw SEVEN SAMURAI, THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN, YOJIMBO and A FISTFUL OF DOLLARS (YOJIMBO'S Italian western remake) all on the big screen, at three theaters on the same block in Times Square within a year. What a great time to have been discovering movies.

I should add that I eventually saw each of these films several more times on the big screen in those years (the 1970s and afterwards).

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 01-06-10 at 04:16 PM.
Old 01-05-10, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

The ending of Savannah Smiles.
Old 01-05-10, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

I don't' ball or stream tears. It's just..a few tears of joy or whatever, I don't lose myself lol.
As a fellow (presumably) aspiring filmmaker, I can tell you that I usually get a little bit jelous and then a little bit worried after watching a really good movie. Tears - for the movie's quality or importance - not so much. But that's just me.

That said, I get into movies and cry like a little baby all of the time. It really doesn't take much.

So, I cried near the end of D9 (there were a five-or-so really good moments during the last fifteen minutes). I did get teary about what was happening in the story. But I can't say that I cried about it's quality.
Old 01-05-10, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The Dark Knight
District 9
The Shawshank Redemption
Jurassic Park
Terminator 2
Titanic
Memento
Snatch
Star Trek (2009)
Pulp Fiction
Kill Bill Volume One and Two
Spirited Away
Howls Moving Castle
King Kong (2005)
Batman Begins
Star Wars (A New Hope- Return of the Jedi)
Meet the Robinsons
Ratatouille
The Green Mile
Lord of the Rings (All of them)
Catch Me if You Can
Smokin' Aces

I don't ever cry because I like them so much, I just feel really good after I watch them.
Old 01-05-10, 10:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by troystiffler
As a fellow (presumably) aspiring filmmaker, I can tell you that I usually get a little bit jelous and then a little bit worried after watching a really good movie. Tears - for the movie's quality or importance - not so much. But that's just me.

That said, I get into movies and cry like a little baby all of the time. It really doesn't take much.

So, I cried near the end of D9 (there were a five-or-so really good moments during the last fifteen minutes). I did get teary about what was happening in the story. But I can't say that I cried about it's quality.
That's the way I felt for D9. I felt shaken to my student filmmaking core.
Old 01-05-10, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
Really? You cry at the end of every single one of these movies? Observe & Report? Pulp Fiction? What exactly makes you cry?
Well, for those particular two, I cried because they were so good. My eyes don't stop leaking during a good film. You should have seen me during the Matrix. I wasn't bawling, but tears were just leaking out of my eyes non-stop. I have to control my bawling to an obvious "sad or emotional film", but for really good films, my eyes just leak - those are the happy tears of seeing just great creativity on screen. It doesn't matter what kind of good film it is - action movie, animation, comedy...

I think you and I would have a great bromantic relationship if we saw movies together...

Last edited by toddly6666; 01-05-10 at 10:26 PM.
Old 01-05-10, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

end of Forrest Gump. call me a pussy all you want, but god dammit
Spoiler:
the scene at the graveyard gets me every single time
Old 01-05-10, 10:48 PM
Banned

but did the movie as whole make you cry or was it that scene? I'm not talking about specific scenes, I'm talking about whole movies that out of their greatness made you tear up.
Old 01-05-10, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
They just appreciate fine filmmaking. It has nothing to do with sad or inspiring plots and scenes. Remember, it's ONLY the appreciation of the quality filmmaking that moves them to tears.
Old 01-05-10, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Many people here are listing movies or scenes that they find emotional and make them cry.

For example I tear up at the end of Rudy and E.T. and for pretty much the last half of United 93--I only watched it once and absolutely bawled my eyes out...more out of anger than sadness actually.

Like somebody else already mentioned, I don't think that's what the OP was asking. In many of the movies he listed, there's really no reason to cry out of sadness or anything like that. He just really appreciates good movies. It's like crying while you watch a great sporting achievement simply because you respect what the athlete accomplished. He's crying because he respects what the director/producer/actors, etc accomplished.

That said, I don't think I'm a big enough movie lover to actually cry over a movie because it was well made.
Old 01-05-10, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Numanoid
They just appreciate fine filmmaking. It has nothing to do with sad or inspiring plots and scenes. Remember, it's ONLY the appreciation of the quality filmmaking that moves them to tears.
Oops. I missed this post because I pretty much said exactly what you did.
Old 01-06-10, 04:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
No kidding.

I'm all for being a little in touch with your sensitive side, but crying tears of joy at the end of a movie?
Old 01-06-10, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

Originally Posted by whoopdido
Many people here are listing movies or scenes that they find emotional and make them cry.

For example I tear up at the end of Rudy and E.T. and for pretty much the last half of United 93--I only watched it once and absolutely bawled my eyes out...more out of anger than sadness actually.

Like somebody else already mentioned, I don't think that's what the OP was asking. In many of the movies he listed, there's really no reason to cry out of sadness or anything like that. He just really appreciates good movies. It's like crying while you watch a great sporting achievement simply because you respect what the athlete accomplished. He's crying because he respects what the director/producer/actors, etc accomplished.

That said, I don't think I'm a big enough movie lover to actually cry over a movie because it was well made.
I don't think the sporting achievement comparison is apt. I can see someone crying over a sporting achievement because of the emotional reaction of the achiever and the crowd reaction, etc. I don't think many people have cried over the majesty of that one home run because it was the most perfect swing in baseball EVER! Or how about tears because that was the most perfect spiral I've even seen from a quarterback?

I'm not unemotional in films. I have cried during quite a few, but it's dictated by the story. Airplane is probably one of the best comedies I've ever seen. I might have laughed so hard that I teared up, but I didn't weep at the end because of the glory of it, because it was a great comic achievement. To be honest, I just find that ... odd. I mean, The Dark Knight? It was a great movie and all, but tears? I mentioned this to a friend of mine and he said he thought The Dark Knight was so good it made him want to stand up and cheer. By the end of The Dark Knight all I was thinking was what a let down the ending was.

But anyway, to each his own. Hope you find more movies to cry over.
Old 01-06-10, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by clckworang
I don't think the sporting achievement comparison is apt. I can see someone crying over a sporting achievement because of the emotional reaction of the achiever and the crowd reaction.
I don't think i've ever not cried at the end of a sports movie because most sports movies are pretty uplifting. Has there ever been a sports movie that didn't have a cliched happy ending?

I usually tear up at the end of the World Series, happy for the winning team.
Old 01-06-10, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

Originally Posted by toddly6666
I don't think i've ever not cried at the end of a sports movie because most sports movies are pretty uplifting. Has there ever been a sports movie that didn't have a cliched happy ending?

I usually tear up at the end of the World Series, happy for the winning team.
I wasn't talking about sports movies. I was talking about actual sports, as I thought whoopdido was.

But what you do say about actual sports was my point. You weren't tearing up because it was the greatest game of baseball you ever saw; you teared up because of the emotions involved in that moment and the expression of those emotions by the team and fans.
Old 01-06-10, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Rypro is a pussy.
Old 01-06-10, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Blu Man
The Dark Knight
District 9
The Shawshank Redemption
Jurassic Park
Terminator 2
Titanic
Memento
Snatch
Star Trek (2009)
Pulp Fiction
Kill Bill Volume One and Two
Spirited Away
Howls Moving Castle
King Kong (2005)
Batman Begins
Star Wars (A New Hope- Return of the Jedi)
Meet the Robinsons
Ratatouille
The Green Mile
Lord of the Rings (All of them)
Catch Me if You Can
Smokin' Aces

I don't ever cry because I like them so much, I just feel really good after I watch them.
I'm sorry, not to threadcrap again, but Meet the Robinsons made you cry for joy? Really?

Maybe I'm emotionally void, but I don't think I've ever cried because a film was good. Films over the years have made me slightly misty eyed at parts (Schindler's List, The Pianist, etc.) but actually cry, not so much. I can certainly appreciate good filmmaking though, and I do feel that internally when the end credits start rolling and you walk out knowing you've seen something that represents why cinema was invented.

Last edited by BJacks; 01-06-10 at 10:00 AM.
Old 01-06-10, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

None yet

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.