Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Your favorite scene. The one that makes you go, "holy shit" at it's pure awesomeness.

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Your favorite scene. The one that makes you go, "holy shit" at it's pure awesomeness.

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-10, 06:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Your favorite scene. The one that makes you go, "holy shit" at it's pure awesomen

The Empire Strikes Back - "Obi-Wan never told you what happened to your father." whilst not my all time favourite scene (though it's certainly one of them) this scene is one of those moments where you're in pure shock.
Old 01-17-10, 06:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Your favorite scene. The one that makes you go, "holy shit" at it's pure awesomen

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/en16i8BY4hI&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/en16i8BY4hI&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Old 01-17-10, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/en16i8BY4hI&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/en16i8BY4hI&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Yep. One of THE scenes of last decade in my opinion. It wasn't until seeing it a few times that I realized it was all one take, done inside a car with 360 degree camera rotation. Perfect example of how a tricky, technical shot can be used to seamlessly tell the story without being a gimmick.
Old 01-17-10, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Poink
Yep. One of THE scenes of last decade in my opinion. It wasn't until seeing it a few times that I realized it was all one take, done inside a car with 360 degree camera rotation. Perfect example of how a tricky, technical shot can be used to seamlessly tell the story without being a gimmick.
Actually there's a few hidden cuts there if you look closely, but that still doesn't take anything away from it to me.
Old 01-17-10, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Bringing up Cauron led me to think of Guillermo del Toro, and how incredibly masterful his direction in the "feast" scene in Pan's Labyrinth was. Seeing that the first time made my jaw drop.
Old 01-17-10, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Dante admitting to Randal that he did try to suck his own dick.
Old 01-17-10, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
There were a few amazing scenes in that movie.
Old 01-17-10, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by maingon
There were a few amazing scenes in that movie.
I think of the big showpiece tracking shot as well, at the end of the film.
Old 01-18-10, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Makes me want to go pick up Children of Men... there are a number of such great and LOOONG tracking shots. I remember the long scene in the war torn city near the end, it almost felt like I was watching a documentary. Loved the movie!
Old 01-18-10, 06:34 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^this. My friend and I were freaking out at how long it was and with everything happening. Later we found out how Cuaron did it...still an amazing scene.
Old 01-18-10, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by bdshort
Makes me want to go pick up Children of Men... there are a number of such great and LOOONG tracking shots. I remember the long scene in the war torn city near the end, it almost felt like I was watching a documentary. Loved the movie!
Need to see this again myself. Scene that stuck to me the most was near the end when Clive Owen walks down the stairs with the baby and everyone just stops this battle to stare in disbelief. After a period of silence, the battle just picks right back up, like nothing ever happened.
Old 01-18-10, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not my favorite scene, but it is one of my favorite ones by Argento; especially considering the fact this scene was shot nearly forty years ago.

If you've never seen Four Flies on Grey Velvet, I'd warn you as this is the last three minutes of the film...

Spoiler:
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wlaeMsV8txo&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wlaeMsV8txo&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Last edited by Matthew Chmiel; 01-18-10 at 02:55 PM.
Old 01-18-10, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The very long tracking shot in Atonement at Dunkirk and the battle in the forest between Maggie Cheung and Zhang Ziyi in Hero come to mind for me.
Old 01-18-10, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Having just seen Daybreakers:

Spoiler:
The slo-mo shot of the lobby in chaos near the end. I was like: wow

Also, the explosion scene in Sherlock Holmes. That was awesome.
Old 01-19-10, 04:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It isn't my favorite movie (the first movie is way more fun) but there is a scene in "The Mummy Returns" where you see the train pass in front of the setting sun. I'd also nominate the fight in the jungle with a few of the good guys up on a cliff picking off people with rifles as cool.

But I still rate the "escape from the atmosphere processor" scene in "Aliens" way, way higher.
Old 03-06-10, 04:59 PM

just watched Hunger for the first time and was absolutely blown away by the Bobby Sands conversation with the priest. 23 min with only 2 cuts. It was amazing.