Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

have I gone crazy, why does everyone love crap?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-09, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

and not even the transformers II kind, I am talking the big, celebrated movies of the year. this is a strange strange year in movies to me... it might be the year I went crazy...ever since I followed serious movies, I see at least some merit in 95 % of the big films...

Up in the Air
Up
An Education
Wild Things
Invictus,

Every one of them, I walk out of the theater baffled...to me these were movies so awful in writing or execution, that when I look at the reviews/praise and support for them, I wonder if people somehow forgot what a good movie is...or that if I forgot.

FYI what I liked this year was, ponyo, basterds, hurt locker, antichrist, bad lieutenant, drag me to hell, coraline ... might seem like I like dark stuff but more than that I like to see freshness, innovation, creativity.. I like to see movies 'going for it' ... I have nothing against the prestigious 'oscar' movies when they are done right,Atonement is one of my favorites of the 00's... and Clint Eastwood is usually great...loved MILK, , I dont think they are all created equal, some movies that play it safe can turn out wondrous.

When I think about it, I have come to see that the masses and even critics for that matter, can't distinguish between what appears to be good, and what is actually good and that nowadays it is more about the appearance of being good. anyone else agree? [crickets chirping]

Last edited by CloverClover; 12-28-09 at 08:08 PM.
Old 12-28-09, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: have I gone crazy, why does everyone love crap?

gotta disagree with you sticking Hurt Locker in the 'good' pile.

Cliches, terrible writing, unbelievable parts within the story. Can't see how you put that in there.

I understand being baffled by Avatar, Up, and Invictus especially, and think the others have at least some merit for being where you put them, but I canot see how Hurt Locker and Drag Me To Hell ended up in what you didn't think failed.
Old 12-28-09, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by CloverClover
When I think about it, I have come to see that the masses and even critics for that matter, can't distinguish between what appears to be good, and what is actually good and that nowadays it is more about the appearance of being good. anyone else agree? [crickets chirping]
Your post seems to state that "good" is what you state it to be and nothing else, so I'll agree to disagree with you on this one. There is no "ultimate" good when it comes to someone's taste I think...
Old 12-28-09, 08:28 PM

Big budget popcorn flicks are getting more popular. It's just a change in trends. While you like movies that fit to your ideas of perfect acting, perfect meaning, perfect script, or whatever standards you hold. I like movies that can move me, entertain me, and yes make me think. That does not mean I'm wrong, or you're wrong. You just have different taste than I do.

I don't appreciate the attitude of calling movies I like "crap". You don't like them because you can't appreciate them for what they are. I've only seen 2 of those on your list, but Avatar has become my favorite movie of all time. Have I watched alot of movies? Probably no where near as many as you. But I watch the movies I enjoy, and it has delivered on everything I enjoy about movies.
Old 12-28-09, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You just listed some great movies.
Old 12-28-09, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sierra Disc
Your post seems to state that "good" is what you state it to be and nothing else, so I'll agree to disagree with you on this one. There is no "ultimate" good when it comes to someone's taste I think...

Movie tastes are subjective.... unless Criterion slaps a banner on it.
Old 12-28-09, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,650 Likes on 1,031 Posts

I try not to let the opinions of others determine anything about my own.

I've been one of the most vocal of the "meh" group on Avatar and nothing anyone says can change what MY experience was like on that film. I had similar issues with Transformers 1 but thankfully everyone wised up by the time the second one rolled around

Using what I've seen on your list, I thought Up was tremendous, The Hurt Locker was probably delivered the most tension of any movie I've ever seen in the theater, Drag Me To Hell was goofy and fun but predictable and pushed the gross factor too far for my tastes, Inglorious Basterds was enjoyable to watch and Tarantino's best after Jackie Brown as far as a complete package goes...and we all know how I feel about Avatar.

To sum up, ALL art is subjective...from books to theater to paintings to movies. Critics are by and large useless because at the end of the day it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.
Old 12-28-09, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

another movie snob huh?
Old 12-28-09, 09:56 PM
Banned

Yes, you have gone crazy.
Old 12-28-09, 10:00 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Taste is subjective. Do you guys want me to close the thread now?
Old 12-28-09, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Taste is subjective. Do you guys want me to close the thread now?
Yes please. This thread is crap but I do not love it.
Old 12-28-09, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by foofighters7
gotta disagree with you sticking Hurt Locker in the 'good' pile.

Cliches, terrible writing, unbelievable parts within the story. Can't see how you put that in there.
Still the only person I've seen online or met who thought this movie was "cliched" and with terrible writing. See you at the Oscars Foo.
Old 12-28-09, 10:24 PM

CloverClover - will you define the word "opinion" please.

Thanks
Old 12-28-09, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

is there a movie out there that doesn't have a cliche?

good guy defeats bad guy
guy falls for girl despite obstacles
etc...
isn't everything a cliche at this point
Old 12-28-09, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts

Originally Posted by ChineseCheckers
is there a movie out there that doesn't have a cliche?

good guy defeats bad guy
guy falls for girl despite obstacles
etc...
isn't everything a cliche at this point
The trick is making the the cliches seem well, less cliched.
Old 12-28-09, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Draven
To sum up, ALL art is subjective...from books to theater to paintings to movies. Critics are by and large useless because at the end of the day it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.
But doesn't it go beyond opinion.. when we see a great movie then we know it, like The Godfather. Lots of these movies I listed were getting huge praise... People were saying Avatar is the new star wars, up in the air is the new "the apartment", an education - the new audrey hepburn, 500 days of summer - the new "graduate", lots of big hype, im not sure that these are meeting the hype, from that 'it' factor, I guess the hype is so big that I am expecting to see great new classics all the time
Old 12-28-09, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts

The New Classics would make a good light rock band name.
Old 12-28-09, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by Daytripper
Still the only person I've seen online or met who thought this movie was "cliched" and with terrible writing. See you at the Oscars Foo.
Then I would be the only one who isn't blind and regurgitating other peoples assessments of the film.

I have a feeling most of the good reviews available for this film are by people who either have not seen it or have but want to be followers and give the common view.

Having said that, yes there are plenty of people who think it over-hyped and not nearly as good as some people want you to think.

I certainly wouldn't stick it in the bottom 10, BUT I think people are just happy to jump on and back it based on OTHER people's thoughts, not their own. It is only a fair film.

Spoiler:
Please tell me how the scene with the goofy Psychiatrist coming out into the field and getting blown up Isn't Cliched?

How about the terrible music?

Explain the totally unbelievable scenes where he leaves base and goes into town at night?

How about Mackie's dialogue? It is almost laughable at times.

Sure the film seems almost Politically asexual but does that make it original?

They presented Renner as a devil-may-care, Rebel without a Cause, too cool to live, cartoon.

Cliches? How about when he walks down the middle of the road with insurgents all about, while his cover try to keep him back?

In some ways he would be a typical Anti-hero and in other ways it is almost comically the 'True American Hero'.

Nothing in this film told me it was original.

Sure it had some tense moments, but so what? That doesn't mean it was one of the best because of it!

Last edited by foofighters7; 12-28-09 at 11:28 PM.
Old 12-28-09, 11:14 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I know people who hate The Godfather, Citizen Kane, Battleship Potemkin, you name it. Just because the general consensus is that it's a classic, doesn't mean everyone will agree.
Old 12-28-09, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

There are critically and publicly praised movies I didn't care for, and "bad" movies that I loved. I'm not sure why people get all cranky and act like everyone else is crazy for liking a movie that they didn't. Sometimes you just have to accept the fact that your opinion is different, and not try and act like it's because my tastes are more sophisticated or something and others aren't "getting" it.

Last edited by fumanstan; 12-28-09 at 11:26 PM.
Old 12-28-09, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Damn you foofighters7 and your The Hurt Locker spoilers!

Oh and Dave Grohl is a DOUCHeBAG!
Old 12-28-09, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,171 Likes on 1,222 Posts

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
I know people who hate The Godfather, Citizen Kane, Battleship Potemkin, you name it.
Alas, most of them have to wear a hockey helmet when they leave the house.
Old 12-28-09, 11:29 PM

sorry Jumpcutz

fixed now...

BTW your not missin much! hehe
Old 12-28-09, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,171 Likes on 1,222 Posts

While I certainly enjoyed it, count me in as one of the folks who believes The Hurt Locker was pretty overrated, mostly due to a handful of pretty unimaginatively written scenes.
Old 12-28-09, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,825 Likes on 1,226 Posts

Originally Posted by FinkPish
Yes please. This thread is crap but I do not love it.
FinkPish, your reply is crap, and that's not opinion, it's fact. What you should have said is "This thread is crap and I do not love it." Either that, or you're far more clever than all of us put together.
Originally Posted by CloverClover
But doesn't it go beyond opinion.. when we see a great movie then we know it, like The Godfather. Lots of these movies I listed were getting huge praise... People were saying Avatar is the new star wars, up in the air is the new "the apartment", an education - the new audrey hepburn, 500 days of summer - the new "graduate", lots of big hype, im not sure that these are meeting the hype, from that 'it' factor
Clearly appreciation of art or 'art' can't go "beyond opinion" or it's no longer art. A 'good shot' is a fact: it hit the target, if you try to take it any farther than that you're asking for trouble. However, I do agree that you can't truly call Avatar the new Star Wars because not enough time has passed, then again, this doesn't mean that we're all crazy and these movies are crap because you don't like them. It'd be great if you could explain how they aren't actually good, but merely 'seem' like they're good.
Originally Posted by mndtrp
The New Classics would make a good light rock band name.
I play bass guitar, can I be in?

OK, I was just waiting for this thread to get good.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.