Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Sherlock Holmes (Ritchie, 2009) — The Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Sherlock Holmes (Ritchie, 2009) — The Reviews Thread

Old 12-27-09, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 680 Likes on 419 Posts
Re: Sherlock Holmes (Ritchie, 2009) — The Reviews Thread

Sandra Bullock has made mostly lousy movies, but she does project warmth and charisma. McAdams, on the other hand, always seems stiff and ****y.
Old 12-27-09, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
Rachel McAdams is basically the new Sandra Bullock. She takes safe roles that don't require a lot of craft in movies that make a lot of money.
Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Sandra Bullock has more charisma in her pinky than Rachel McAdams does in her whole body.
Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
Sandra Bullock has made mostly lousy movies, but she does project warmth and charisma. McAdams, on the other hand, always seems stiff and ****y.
I thought McAdams was excellent in the mostly-ignored dramedy The Lucky Ones. The writing of the film often falls into cornball territory (the tornado scene is stupefying in its unlikeliness) but the performances by all three leads -- McAdams especially -- made it a rock solid ***1/2 in my book.
Old 12-27-09, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bullock is just as bad as McAdams - two generic American actresses that have no bodies. They should have used an actress like Eva Green.
Old 12-27-09, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 285 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy

Heh heh, ****y. Although there are few Bullock films that I like, I do like her as a person a great deal. She seems very kind and always reaches deep in her bank account to donate money to charities and relief funds. And is usually the first celebrity. She also seems very cool, from what I've seen in interviews. I haven't seen McAdams interviewed yet. But I stand by my opinion that I think she's a fine actress.
Old 12-27-09, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 195 Likes on 151 Posts

I'm part of the camp who thinks Rachel McAdams should replace Kate Bosworth as Lois Lane if they choose to continue with the Superman franchise. I thought she was great in Wedding Crashers and Family Stone, and did a fine job with what she had in Red Eye. After those she disappeared for a couple of years and while State of Play was not impressive to me overall, I found her character interesting.
I really don't understand the hate around these parts for both her and Bullock. If they were together in a movie and it got decent notices, I would most likely check it out.

What was this thread about again?
Old 12-27-09, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I thought it was great. It was clever and RDJ did a fantastic job. I had a lot of fun, definitely worth the ticket price. I have read some of the short stories, and I thought they did a good job being faithful while still expanding upon the Sherlock Holmes characters.

No poll?
Old 12-27-09, 03:39 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Save Ferris
Thank you. She was expecting the famous 'elementary' phrase (however its worded). I havent read all the books and she was acting like a snob about it.
Did you end up telling your friend that the famous line she was so miffed about was never uttered by Holmes at any time in the Doyle stories/novels? I would like to hear the reaction.
Old 12-27-09, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
Rachel McAdams is basically the new Sandra Bullock. She takes safe roles that don't require a lot of craft in movies that make a lot of money.
I still think she was great in Mean Girls.
Old 12-27-09, 05:32 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
I'm part of the camp who thinks Rachel McAdams should replace Kate Bosworth as Lois Lane if they choose to continue with the Superman franchise. I thought she was great in Wedding Crashers and Family Stone, and did a fine job with what she had in Red Eye. After those she disappeared for a couple of years and while State of Play was not impressive to me overall, I found her character interesting.
I really don't understand the hate around these parts for both her and Bullock. If they were together in a movie and it got decent notices, I would most likely check it out.

What was this thread about again?
I think Elizabeth Banks has the sass for Lane. Again..we need women for Lane not young thin rail girls.
Old 12-27-09, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 164 Likes on 117 Posts

Very fun pulpy movie. The original Holmes stories were the Dan Brown yarns of their day so I wasn't expecting great depth, just some good detecting action. Downey was quite good and really isn't that far a reinterpretation of the character if you've read the original stories, right down to his unorthodox shooting practice. Wouldn't call it a modern classic, but definitely a good time.
Old 12-27-09, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The only good line in the movie was when Jude Law says, "No shit, Sherlock."
Old 12-27-09, 11:19 PM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Saw this tonight and thought it was really good. Didn't think anybody was terrible in the movie. Loved the score as well. The movie kept me engaged in the story and that was welcomed, "popcorn flicks" can sometimes make me feel that I'm just another lemming eating up whatever is thrown at me.
Old 12-28-09, 02:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 164 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by nightmaster
It was a good move to make them 50ish and still physically vigorous.
I dunno, Downey is only 44 and Law is just 36, I don't think they were meant to be that old!
Old 12-29-09, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,011 Likes on 616 Posts

Originally Posted by toddly6666
This movie has the "awesome trailer, bad movie" syndrome. Downey and Law were great but this movie was just boring. I liked the slo-mo fight scenes, but i dont understand how anyone else can take another "satanic mystics" storyline anymore.

Rachel McAdams was just awful and I dont know why the make up artists made her look like an ugly clown. I really hope McAdams doesnt get any supposed superhero role. She justs so damn ordinary. She should be as succesful as a jennifer garner or piper pabelo - ordinary plain jane, nothing special actresses.

Downey is a great actor though. How can anyone not like him?

Young Sherlock Holmes was so much better than this one.
Wow. +1 all the way. You summed up all of my thoughts.

Saw this with the wife tonight. I was so bored with this movie, I actually dozed for a few seconds here and there and had to wake myself up. I never do that.

I would say that Downey & Law were perfectly cast but their repartee fell flat on all accounts. They seemed better apart than together for some odd reason. The writing I guess. McAdams was a piece of cardboard delivering her lines. Granted her part was poorly developed but she could have tried at least a little.

No suspense at all. I mean seriously, did anyone actually fall for the
Spoiler:
fake hanging/no pulse
routine? That crap is older than the Holmes stories themselves. Every halfway decent part is in the trailer with no surprises at all for the movie itself.

I walked away very disappointed as I really wanted to like this film. What is strange is I watched Young Sherlock Holmes a few months ago without even knowing that this new version was coming out. I hadn't seen YSH in many years but it delivers on everything that this new release doesn't. Witty, charming, suspenseful, and most of all...fun! Hell, I even think the special effects for YSH looks better at times than the newest movie and YSH is 25 freaking years old. What the hell?

** stars out of ***** for me.

Spoiler:
****1/2 stars out of ***** for Young Sherlock Holmes. Spend your ticket money on the dvd of this one instead.
Old 12-29-09, 02:08 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Bullock is just as bad as McAdams - two generic American actresses that have no bodies. They should have used an actress like Eva Green.
Funny, I really hate Eva Green. She seems overwhelmingly monotone to me.
Old 12-29-09, 05:28 AM
Banned by request

I had some time to kill after work today, so I caught this. It wasn't quite as bad as I was expecting, although every time Rachel McAdams was on the screen I wanted someone to push her off a bridge. Downey was better than I thought he would be, based off the trailers, and I did enjoy the plot. Jude Law was the highlight, in my mind. I liked the nods to the Doyle stories (the turnkey in the watch comment, Watson's fiancee being Mary Morstan). At a certain point I turned off the raging purist in me and just enjoyed the film for what it was. I would go see a sequel with this crew (minus Rachel McAdams, one can only hope). It's far and away not the best film version of Holmes, but is still enjoyable purely on its own terms.

Spoiler:
Also, the fight sequence in the midget's workspace was brilliant, as was the "This way up" gag.
Old 12-29-09, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
Saw this with the wife tonight. I was so bored with this movie, I actually dozed for a few seconds here and there and had to wake myself up. I never do that.

What is strange is I watched Young Sherlock Holmes a few months ago without even knowing that this new version was coming out. I hadn't seen YSH in many years but it delivers on everything that this new release doesn't. Witty, charming, suspenseful, and most of all...fun! Hell, I even think the special effects for YSH looks better at times than the newest movie and YSH is 25 freaking years old. What the hell?
[/spoiler]
Yeah, I dozed off too a bunch of times. This is definitely the most boring action movie of the year.

Young Sherlock Holmes is great and it's a dark movie. I think this is Barry Levinson's best film. I didn't know that the actor that played Watson, Alan Cox, is Brian Cox's son. The special effects were awesome. The hallucinatory scenes left an impact on me when I saw that as a kid - pretty memorable.

I really hope Rachel McAdams is finished. If FROM HELL (this was worse than SHERLOCK HOLMES at least) screwed up Heather Graham's career (a prettier and more likable actress than McAdams), then I hope McAdams is finished as well.
Old 12-29-09, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

although every time Rachel McAdams was on the screen I wanted someone to push her off a bridge.
Funny you should mention it...
I really hope Rachel McAdams is finished. If FROM HELL (this was worse than SHERLOCK HOLMES at least) screwed up Heather Graham's career (a prettier and more likable actress than McAdams), then I hope McAdams is finished as well.
Seriously, though...wishing her career away just because she's given some flat performances? I swear, see The Lucky Ones; the first time I watched it I thought she was Oscar-worthy in it, and at the very least, it's the opposite of a flat performance. She's got a spark in her eyes in every scene.

And no, there's no comparing From Hell to Sherlock Holmes. First of all, I thought From Hell was an underperformer at the box office, and second, it's not like executives pick "weak links" out of a movie. Any of Holmes' success will be spread out equally amongst its director and three stars, regardless of how much anyone personally thinks they contributed.

I think the exaggerated dislike for McAdams in this thread borders on chris_sc77 fanatacism! There, I said it.
Old 12-29-09, 11:57 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I dunno....Ellen Page gets more hate than McAdams.
Old 12-29-09, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
I dunno....Ellen Page gets more hate than McAdams.
Ellen Page has a less appealing personal demeanor than McAdams. The people in this thread are wishing McAdams away just because they think she isn't a very good actress, and not even a bad one so much, it seems (I don't see any suggestions that she's actually inept), but just that she's a boring one.
Old 12-29-09, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
Ellen Page has a less appealing personal demeanor than McAdams. The people in this thread are wishing McAdams away just because they think she isn't a very good actress, and not even a bad one so much, it seems (I don't see any suggestions that she's actually inept), but just that she's a boring one.
I like Rachel McAdams, but I don't think she should be starring or headlining in films. She should be just a side character. Leave the main roles to actresses with better looks, better presence, and better acting skills. I'm tired of American movies featuring actresses that are generic, plain-jane, flat-chested, unfeminine, teenage-boy bodied, clown-faced bores.

Here are the list of actresses as I described above that shouldn't be headlining films:

Rachel McAdams, Kate Hudson, Hayden Panettiere, Kristen Bell, Kristen Stewart, Jennifer Garner, Cameron Diaz, Julia Roberts, Piper Perabo, Claire Daines, Sarah Jessica Parker

It would be like the equivalent of seeing Steve Buscemi, Giovonni Ribsi, William H. Macy, and John C. Reilly as the male leads in every other romantic comedy movie. I like these actors, but in small roles.

I really don't understand Hollywood's obsession with the tomboy actress.

Last edited by toddly6666; 12-29-09 at 12:28 PM.
Old 12-29-09, 03:10 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
Funny you should mention it...
I was hoping someone would pick up on that.

I like Rachel McAdams, but I don't think she should be starring or headlining in films. She should be just a side character. Leave the main roles to actresses with better looks, better presence, and better acting skills. I'm tired of American movies featuring actresses that are generic, plain-jane, flat-chested, unfeminine, teenage-boy bodied, clown-faced bores.

Here are the list of actresses as I described above that shouldn't be headlining films:

Rachel McAdams, Kate Hudson, Hayden Panettiere, Kristen Bell, Kristen Stewart, Jennifer Garner, Cameron Diaz, Julia Roberts, Piper Perabo, Claire Daines, Sarah Jessica Parker

It would be like the equivalent of seeing Steve Buscemi, Giovonni Ribsi, William H. Macy, and John C. Reilly as the male leads in every other romantic comedy movie. I like these actors, but in small roles.

I really don't understand Hollywood's obsession with the tomboy actress.
Out of that list, I agree with almost all of them, except Kristen Bell and Claire Daines. Those two are both beautiful and with plenty of charisma. In Daines case, real acting talent as well. Oh, and add Ellen Page to the list of people who shouldn't act at all anymore (although we'll see how she does in Inception).
Old 12-29-09, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Out of that list, I agree with almost all of them, except Kristen Bell and Claire Daines. Those two are both beautiful and with plenty of charisma.
Not your classic beauties though...Claire Daines is on the rough & tough mannish side. I think of her as the American version of Franka Potente. Interesting looking, but not hot or beautiful. And both have bad bodies.

Kristen Bell is a younger clone of Cheryl Hines. If you like Cheryl Hines, then you'll love Kristen Bell! Kristen Bell has an awful body and she is cross eyed. Am I the only one that notices that Kristen Bell is cross eyed?

If you like flat-chested skinny asses, then I guess you are gonna like Daines and Bell.

Suprmallet, I hope you enjoy When in Rome! I can't believe you are going to pay to see that.

Last edited by toddly6666; 12-29-09 at 03:28 PM.
Old 12-29-09, 03:36 PM
Banned by request

I like Cheryl Hines as well.

And I very rarely pay for movies.
Old 12-29-09, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I thought RDJ and Law were great, but holy fuck was the plot boring. Give me a case that I can care about. Give me some REAL STAKES... even the scene with Rachel McAdams in peril came too early and was too short for me to ever believe there was any real danger to the main characters, add to that we didn't give a crap if she lived or died anyhow. Some great SCENES here and there, but one helluva boring movie overall. Disappointing. Plus I was hoping for an awesome Moriarty reveal, which sadly never came... it sets up the next flick, but unless they get someone GREAT to script it, I could care less at this point.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.