Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

How do you feel about James Cameron's films?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

How do you feel about James Cameron's films?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-09, 09:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: How do you feel about James Cameron's films?

Don't forget about the classic masterpiece...... Piranha II: The Spawning.

Priceless!
Old 12-18-09, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The quality of Cameron's movies is directly proportional to how much Gale Anne Hurd was involved -- Terminator and Aliens are fantastic, The Abyss is a drop in quality, Terminator 2 is okay, and True Lies and Titanic suck.
Old 12-18-09, 11:11 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Love them all except Titanic. I thought that was good, the production on it to me is what makes it amazing. Storywise...not so much.
Old 12-18-09, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

I've loved all of his films except "True Lies." I hold him in high enough regard that his name is the reason I want to see "Avatar" even though I've found the trailers/commercials underwhelming.
Old 12-18-09, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I haven't seen Piranha 2, but I hear it's the best film ever made about flying piranhas.

The Terminator is a fantastic, raw sci-fi film with some fantastic elements and a great storyline held up by some solid performances.

Aliens is one of those rare sequels that surpasses the original. It is virtually flawless.

The Abyss, while good, bored me a little. But I've only seen it once so when it finally hits Blu-ray I look forward to giving it another day in court.

Terminator 2 is another sequel that I like more than the original. That might have something to do with the fact that this is one of my earliest cinematic memories; I saw it with my family when it opened. It amazed me as a kid, and it's still just as awesome today.

True Lies is a fun action flick. Wayyyyy too over the top, but I'm such a nerd for Arnie that it hardly matters to me. And who knew Tom Arnold could be so much fun?

Titanic I still haven';t seen all the way through, but I've probably seen enough to say I've seen it. Didn't like it.

Got my tix for Avatar tonight at 10:30 in IMAX 3D.

Last edited by islandclaws; 12-19-09 at 12:57 PM.
Old 12-18-09, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

I love everything EXCEPT True Lies. Never seen Piranha 2, but I don't think anyone really considers that part of his "real" filmography.

I think TITANIC-hate only exists on Internet forums.
Old 12-18-09, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My favorite scene in The Abyss is when the main character is descending into the deep oceanic trench. Deep enough that his vehicle/light thing is crushed under the pressure, yet he remains unharmed.

True Lies is a classic for Tom Arnold's role alone.
Old 12-18-09, 12:47 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

James Cameron's films are great entertainment, and he's a decent writer to boot.
Old 12-18-09, 12:56 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,184 Likes on 836 Posts

The Terminator: Haven't seen it in years, but I remember enjoying it quite a bit.

Aliens: The first one I saw in the series. Great film for what it is. Not a fan of the extended cut, though.

The Abyss: Probably my favourite of his films, even though I've only watched it 3 or 4 times.

Terminator 2: I can't count how many times I've watched this. Lots of fun.

True Lies: I really enjoyed it when I was a kid, but watched it again about a year ago, and it just wasn't the same.

Titanic: Didn't see it until it hit VHS. Hated it. I might revisit it some day in the future, but I'm not planning on it. I knew people who saw it 9 times in the theatre. That's just absurd.

Avatar: (opinion pending my IMAX 3D viewing on Sunday afternoon)
Old 12-18-09, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Speaking of Cameron Director's Cuts, he said that there will be ten minutes of deleted scenes on the Avatar blu-ray. I take that as a good sign when a movie doesnt have so many deleted scenes. The less cut, the more likely thats how they wanted to film it.

The Terminator - a classic that i wasnt crazy about at first, but i know see its one of the best action films of the 1980s. And where else we see Arnold play villain? No where else.

The Abyss - ive never seen the whole movie through. Ill buy it when they finally release the remastered dvd of it.

Aliens - the best of the Aliens movies. And damn scary still. Scott's Alien is good filmmaking but not scary anymore.

True Lies - this probably is my favorite Cameron movie as well as my favorite Arnold film. Its just so rewatchable, funny, and awesome action. Certainly the best of the Arabic-cliched villain action movie ever made.

Terminator 2 - a classic that ive sort of gotten tired of because ive watched it so many times. Some of the effects are a bit dated. But a very important movie. This movie pushed the idea of having more female action heros.

Titanic - great hollywood film. I have no hate towards this film. Cheesy dialogue, so what? And the only celine dion song that u have to admit is catchy!

Avatar - im seeing this soon - will update later!

No one is reviewing his Titanic documentary - didnt he direct that as well?
Old 12-18-09, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

Originally Posted by toddly6666
Speaking of Cameron Director's Cuts, he said that there will be ten minutes of deleted scenes on the Avatar blu-ray. I take that as a good sign when a movie doesnt have so many deleted scenes. The less cut, the more likely thats how they wanted to film it.

The Terminator - a classic that i wasnt crazy about at first, but i know see its one of the best action films of the 1980s. And where else we see Arnold play villain? No where else.

The Abyss - ive never seen the whole movie through. Ill buy it when they finally release the remastered dvd of it.

Aliens - the best of the Aliens movies. And damn scary still. Scott's Alien is good filmmaking but not scary anymore.

True Lies - this probably is my favorite Cameron movie as well as my favorite Arnold film. Its just so rewatchable, funny, and awesome action. Certainly the best of the Arabic-cliched villain action movie ever made.

Terminator 2 - a classic that ive sort of gotten tired of because ive watched it so many times. Some of the effects are a bit dated. But a very important movie. This movie pushed the idea of having more female action heros.

Titanic - great hollywood film. I have no hate towards this film. Cheesy dialogue, so what? And the only celine dion song that u have to admit is catchy!

Avatar - im seeing this soon - will update later!

No one is reviewing his Titanic documentary - didnt he direct that as well?
How could you possibly forget the cinematic masterpiece that is Batman & Robin?

I will somewhat agree on the Celine Dion song comment. I can't stand to hear that song on its own, but I will concede that it worked well for the film.

I'm a fan of most of Cameron's films. I've only seen The Abyss once and that was a long time ago, so I don't really feel comfortable rating that one. I've never seen True Lies. Never been a huge Arnold fan when he's not playing a robot (probably a couple exceptions to that, though), so I always avoided it.
Old 12-18-09, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Nausicaa
My favorite scene in The Abyss is when the main character is descending into the deep oceanic trench. Deep enough that his vehicle/light thing is crushed under the pressure, yet he remains unharmed.
That's explained within the film -- the SEALs have an experimental liquid air system. If your body's filled with liquid, it won't be crushed.

What you should laugh at is the crew of Deep Core popping out of the structure at the end with no ill effects from the sudden change in pressure.
Old 12-18-09, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara
That's explained within the film -- the SEALs have an experimental liquid air system. If your body's filled with liquid, it won't be crushed.

What you should laugh at is the crew of Deep Core popping out of the structure at the end with no ill effects from the sudden change in pressure.
That is also explained in the movie. She even says at the end that they should of died from the pressure change but the aliens must have done something.
Old 12-18-09, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Never seen Pirahna 2 .

Terminator-very good as a sci-fi horror, but the FX are quite dated now. On its own it's practically a B-movie with some really good action scenes.

Aliens- probably my favorite Cameron movie. Everything is done at the right level and nothing's overblown, and I think it's probably Cameron's best writing.

Abyss- good FX and story, but man does it make me want to sleep at some points. The Director's Cut with the tidal waves is cool IMO.

Terminator 2- thought it was the best movie ever made as an adolescent Action and FX are top notch, and the story is actually more intriguing than the original. Not what it once was, but still worlds more entertaining than the average blockbuster of today.

True Lies- fun time at the movies, little more. I admire that the action scenes aren't overloaded with CG like G.I. Joe, but it seems like a screwball comedy done with an action film as a backdrop.

Titanic- in theaters, a great sweeping experience with a nauseating love story. On video, quite a nauseating experience overall. This is truly where Cameron shows the need to have someone elsesgo over his scripts and make some adjustments and cut the melodrama.
Old 12-18-09, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Terminator - top 7 film of all time. Brilliant conceptually in every way. The first real sci-fi horror film ever made, period - slasher sci-fi. Everything about it is perfect ...Biehn, Hamilton, Arnie, Paxton, Thompson, Hendriksen ...everyone. Brilliant scripting (extremely off-beat), solid story and the best of mid 80's effects, which are more appealing to me than more contemporary green screen efforts. The best what should be considered "cult" film ever made even though the appeal was geared towards a mainstream audience.

Terminator 2 - worthy continuation of its predecessor. Great story line, concept and acting with ground breaking blockbuster effects for its time. The biggest problem ...concept of the T-800 development. Cold, calculating, total machine ...but this one seems to have adapted too much of an extreme personality which I just can't buy into.

Piranha 2 - apparently unlike everyone here, I have actually seen and proud to own this. Cameron didn't have editing control over this one and has apparently expressed concern over the end results, but I found this to be a fun ride in a flying fish B film sort of way. Graphic kills (I'm sorry, but the nurse kill was great) and full of tension between all the cheesiness, this film is far from the worst B movie ever made. And shit, it stars a young Cameron favorite, Lance Henriksen. You owe it to yourself to track this down - the UK release is unreasonably cheap.

True Lies - aside from Jamie Lee's dance and Tom Arnold's comedic attempts, this one is fluffy and by the numbers. Moments of excitement and conceptual uniqueness it really only goes so far. Not dynamic or dark enough to peak my interest.

Titanic - beautiful exploitation. Period. Loved the effects, Winslet nude and heart strung concept but bottom line, I'm still left with the impression that this was simply a high strung exploitation film of familiar grounds. And that in of itself is fucking brilliant!! Although I'm not entirely convinced Cameron had that angle ....maybe though.

The Abyss - Biehn (again), Harris and Mastrantonio ..excellent cast, effects and interesting concept. Loved the film personally, but a bit dry and far fetched at times. Not a great film but a good sci fi fantasy held under water.

Aliens 2 - not much to say about this one except than other than The Empire Strikes Back, this is the best American sequel ever made, period. I love Alien more, but this is a very close second.

No real high interest in Avatar but I'll take to my grave any support for Cameron ...I'll see this one in Imax 3-D, but I'm more so looking forward to seeing what Cameron's live action version of the Japanese original, Battle Angel looks like more than Avatar (which personally reminds me of Attack of the Clones more than anything else).

Last edited by visitor Q; 12-18-09 at 08:55 PM.
Old 12-18-09, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,223 Posts

Originally Posted by Lunatikk
I love them all, especially the First Officer Murdoch parts of Titanic.
Agreed. Cameron's meticulous devotion to the historical record cannot be praised enough.
Old 12-18-09, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Cameron is my favorite director of the modern era period.

I have yet to see AVATAR and I will next week but I LOVE all his films.

ALIENS is a classic and flawless from start to finish and for someone who supposedly is a "bad writer" that film gets quoted more often than just about any other film from the 80's with the exception of maybe SCARFACE or DIE HARD.

PS. Cpl Hicks is one of the best "scared shitless" characters ever written imo!
Old 12-18-09, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by jfoobar
Agreed. Cameron's meticulous devotion to the historical record cannot be praised enough.
Good point! He's a perfectionist and it shows on screen
Old 12-18-09, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by shanester
Cameron is my favorite director of the modern era period.

I have yet to see AVATAR and I will next week but I LOVE all his films.

ALIENS is a classic and flawless from start to finish and for someone who supposedly is a "bad writer" that film gets quoted more often than just about any other film from the 80's with the exception of maybe SCARFACE or DIE HARD.

"Game over man! Game over!"
Old 12-18-09, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
"Game over man! Game over!"

A few more:

"Oh that's just great! Why don't you just put her in charge"

"Fuck That! I ain't going back out there! Are you crazy?? With those thing running around out there?? You can count me out"

"Maybe I haven't been keeping up on current events but we just got our asses kicked pal!!"

"He's coming in I feel safer already"

"Yeah good idea Bishop should go"

"I says we grease this rat fuck son of a bitch right now! You're dog meat pal you're toast"
Old 12-18-09, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A few more:

"Oh that's just great! Why don't you just put her in charge"

"Fuck That! I ain't going back out there! Are you crazy?? With those thing running around out there?? You can count me out"

"Maybe I haven't been keeping up on current events but we just got our asses kicked pal!!"

"He's coming in I feel safer already"

"Yeah good idea Bishop should go"

"I says we grease this rat fuck son of a bitch right now! You're dog meat pal you're toast"
Cameron might not be the best script writer,. but he really did well with this character.
Old 12-18-09, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by FinkPish
I'm curious how you can love 5 of his 6 films, still like another and yet have no interest in seeing his latest. What is it about Avatar that is turning you off so much?
Maybe "no interest" is a bit much, I'm sure I'll eventually see it. I don't know what it is, but the trailers haven't gripped me to the point that I have to see it right away.
Old 12-19-09, 12:53 AM

I've been a Cameron fan for a long time and each one has a special place in my heart.
All are great, so I don't have a least liked.
Old 12-19-09, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 194 Likes on 156 Posts

That's Hudson, not Hicks.

Don't feel bad though...Gorman made the same mistake.
Old 12-19-09, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I really like 'The Terminator', that's just a terrific sci fi film.

I can't stand to watch even 5 minutes of the sequel for a looong time, man that's such an irritating mess of a film. I did watch it through once or twice though.

I liked 'Aliens Director Cut' and think it's his best movie. Though only a pansy from Hollywood would think battle-hardened Marines in a stress situation wouldn't just effortlessly kill Carter with no drama or emotion after he was found out. That's the only problem I have with that film. He would have been killed immediately.

I've never watched 'Titanic'.

'The Abyss' was okay, it had its strong points, but most of them were Ed Harris's(and other's) doing and not Cameron's IMO. Biehn was pretty strong in that too.

'True Lies'... Meh, I saw it once a good ways back. Though it was one of the better Arnold films, but that's not saying much.

Last edited by Dr Mabuse; 12-19-09 at 04:04 AM. Reason: typo

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.