Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

How do you feel about James Cameron's films?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

How do you feel about James Cameron's films?

Old 12-19-09, 05:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: How do you feel about James Cameron's films?

Originally Posted by mwbmis View Post
That's Hudson, not Hicks.

Don't feel bad though...Gorman made the same mistake.
Old 12-19-09, 05:43 AM

Re: How do you feel about James Camerons films?

The first Terminator is my favorite by far. Its the only one I can take seriously. I dont really like Aliens, but I can tolerate it more than T2. The Abyss is alright. I used to love T2 as a kid, but I pretty much hate it now. Annoying Edward Furlong, nice Terminator, the sentimental thumbs up at the end, jesus, what was Cameron thinking? Any way, I never cared for True Lies, and only saw Titanic once and never cared to watch it again. So, in the end, in my opinion The Terminator is his only great film, and everything else ranges from average, to mediocre, to even downright awful. And I dont care to see Avatar.

Last edited by emachine; 12-19-09 at 05:49 AM.
Old 12-19-09, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 155 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum View Post
Seen all but PIRANHA II and AVATAR.
Enjoyed ALIENS. Hated, hated THE ABYSS and TRUE LIES.
Indifferent to the others. I don't hate TITANIC, but I have no particular regard for it.
Well, now I've seen AVATAR. And I'll add it to the "hated, hated, hated, hated, hated, hated" category.
Old 12-19-09, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Puzznic View Post
That is also explained in the movie. She even says at the end that they should of died from the pressure change but the aliens must have done something.
That's not an explanation. That's just lampshading a plot hole and handwaving it away.
Old 12-19-09, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The first Terminator is a solidly-crafted B-movie. Aliens is arguably the greatest sequel ever (I'm not including Godfather II), but there is admittedly scant competition in that department, and it still pales next to the original. His other films are all pretty mediocre, though I should probably track Piranha 2 down. Something tells me I'd find it far more enjoyable than anything else he directed.
Old 12-19-09, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Terminator A favorite, one of the best "B" sci-fi movies ever made.

T2 A rarity: a sequel that is as engaging as the original. Very good "popcorn" action movie.

The Abyss I've never seen it and am only vaguely aware of what it is about.

Aliens I've never seen it. I don't "do" horror. Ever.

True Lies I enjoyed it in the theater; haven't seen it since. Silly fun and I liked the Bond spoofing. I never picked up the DVD because I read that it was not anamorphic, perhaps that has changed. I am hoping that it makes it to Blu-ray Disc someday.

Titanic I was dragged to this by a friend who had already seen and loved it. Watching a bunch of people doomed to become Popsicles was not my idea of a good time. For a movie that was supposed to be realistic, the seeming hours the characters spent running around the sinking ship wading in 33 water was simply absurd I prefer to save my "willing suspension of disbelief" for fantasy and sci-fi. I have zero desire to ever see this again. That Titanic became so wildly popular was unexpected by me.

Piranha 2 I'd never heard of it until this thread, so haven't seen it. And won't.

Avatar I do plan to see this to find out what all the fuss is about. Only 2D where I live, so 3D is not an option, and gimmicks like that don't interest me anyway.
Edit: Saw this and very much enjoyed it. I hadn't seen the trailers and knew very little about it and was surprised how compelling the CGI world and characters turned out to be. First rate.

Last edited by lizard; 12-21-09 at 12:34 PM.
Old 12-19-09, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pretty much love them all, Avatar included... Didnt really care for The Abyss, True Lies fun but not a fav, and yet to see Piranha II.
Old 12-19-09, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by lizard View Post
T2 — A rarity: a sequel that is as engaging as the original. Very good "popcorn" action movie.

Aliens — I've never seen it. I don't "do" horror. Ever.
aliens is as much horror as t2. they are both action films first and foremost with only dashings of sci fi horror thrown in as spice. if you like t2 you'd probably enjoy aliens too. give it a shot: there's my advice.
Old 12-19-09, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara View Post
That's not an explanation. That's just lampshading a plot hole and handwaving it away.
in a movie where the characters discover aliens living on the sea bed it's pretty weird of you to have singled out decompression problems as an unexplained plot point. how about where the aliens come from, how they can survive the extreme pressures underwater, along with any number of other questions regarding their technolgy and physiology. if you're willing to overlook these issues then the question of decompression shouldn't be a major hurdle to overcome.
Old 12-19-09, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Overrated, but still very enjoyable. His films get elevated far higher than they deserve. Scott's "Alien" is a much better film than Cameron's "Aliens." True Lies is mediocre fare, but still fun. Ditto for Abyss. Titanic is vastly overrated in my opinion. I do love the two Terminators. I still haven't seen Avatar.

I consider him a good filmmaker, and sometimes a very good filmmaker. But never truly great. I'd put him a notch below Ridley Scott and the George Lucas of old. A notch or two below Spielberg.
Old 12-20-09, 03:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mwbmis View Post
That's Hudson, not Hicks.

Don't feel bad though...Gorman made the same mistake.
Old 12-20-09, 07:20 AM

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by lizard View Post
[B]Aliens I've never seen it. I don't "do" horror. Ever.
Seems like a weird statement. Horror movies can be so many different things. You're just brushing them all off just like that?

Aliens is definitely more than just 'horror'
Old 12-20-09, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Gunde View Post
Seems like a weird statement. Horror movies can be so many different things. You're just brushing them all off just like that...
Yes. Different people like different things. Perhaps you hadn't noticed.
Old 12-20-09, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 109 Likes on 86 Posts

Having seen Avatar I'll say that visually it's most likely his most impressive work. Storywise it falls just about as flat as the rest of the stuff he's written.
Old 12-20-09, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by Gunde View Post
Seems like a weird statement. Horror movies can be so many different things. You're just brushing them all off just like that?

Aliens is definitely more than just 'horror'
I don't think I'd even classify it as 'horror'. It's definitely more of an action movie with some suspense/horror elements.
Old 12-20-09, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Didn't really like the Abyss all that much. the others were all pretty good. I liked Titanic but the constant whining of Leo and Kate get tiring. The sinking was amazing as far as putting the viewer right in the action.
Old 12-20-09, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 209 Likes on 159 Posts
The Terminator: A classic. One of the best sci fi flicks that never gets tiring to watch on many occasions.

Aliens: Amazing, never get tired of watching it. Love the special effects.

The Abyss: Pretty good, not one of my favorites.

Terminator 2: A classic. Better than part I. I remember how this movie made many people cry at the end.

True Lies: Fun to watch, hilarious and incredible effects.

Titanic: Sweet movie, a bit long, but nonetheless another gem to watch.
Old 12-20-09, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't know if it's been mentioned, but give the guy a break on Piranha 2. From what I've heard he worked less than a week and a producer took over after that.
Old 12-21-09, 02:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by bdshort View Post
I don't think I'd even classify it as 'horror'. It's definitely more of an action movie with some suspense/horror elements.
Action movie with suspense elements, there really isn't anything "horror" about the movie.

Unless you go full "Hudson Mode" at the mere *thought* of aliens shacking up in a atmosphere processor.
Old 12-21-09, 05:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 520 Likes on 391 Posts

They are not just cars.
Old 12-22-09, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

1. The Terminator - One of my favorite scifi movies ever, can watch it over and over.

2. The Abyss (Extended Version) - Cameron's most underrated movie. Don't know why this doesn't get more love. I don't like the theatrical version, but the director's cut makes this a great movie.

3. Titanic - There seemed to be a backlash against this movie for a few years, but it still holds up well for me. I think Cameron succeeded in making me care about Rose & Jack, and to make a movie where everyone knows the ending and still have good drama is very tough to pull off.

4. T2- Very good sequel, but just seems to be missing something that the original had.

5. Aliens - I think this is a very good, entertaining movie, but I just never got into all of the Alien movies.

6. True Lies - Probably my least favorite of Cameron's movies, but it is still entertaining. Arnold and Jaime Lee Curtis have good chemistry, and it still amazes me that Tom Arnold is really good in that movie!
Old 12-22-09, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

No one saw this film??? If anyone did, was it any good?

Old 12-22-09, 02:25 PM

Of the ones I have seen:

1. Aliens - perfect atmosphere and a great combination of action thriller and sci-fi. THIS is how you do a sequel without having to "reboot" the franchise.

2. AVATAR - more than a movie in 3D. I imagine in 2D, it'd be fairly average.

3. The Abyss - this was my first DVD, and I have always loved the extended version of the movie

4. - 5. The Terminators. Part 2 was better than the first one with its crappy stop-motion animation scene. Plus T2 has Guns n' f'in Roses in its soundtrack!

6. Titanic. A fine movie, but a bit too much cheesy drama and not enough historicity (if that is a word).

7. The documentaries. Meh.
Old 12-22-09, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by toddly6666 View Post
No one saw this film??? If anyone did, was it any good?

If you have any interest in the Titanic or underwater exploration, you will enjoy it.

The final shot in it is very odd. You'll know what I mean if/when you see it.
Old 12-22-09, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I saw it and found it interesting. It was spooky because right near the beginning they show it's September 11, 2001. Exploring one tragedy while another takes place.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.