Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Who's your favorite martial artist?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Pick your favorite martial artist
Bruce Lee
36.59%
Jackie Chan
15.85%
Jet Li
15.85%
Sammo Hung
4.88%
Yuen Biao
2.44%
Donnie Yen
7.32%
Tony Jaa
2.44%
Gordion Liu
1.22%
Other
13.41%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Who's your favorite martial artist?

Old 12-18-09, 11:17 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Who's your favorite martial artist?

Yuen Baio is really underrated. Sammo and Jackie totally overshadow him. I'd still kill to get a film with all the HK greats in there.

Tony Jaa is a marital artist but...well his films suck. He's sooo unconvincing in his films. Plus...how do we know he's all that great if it's only a movie? His little public promos of him "defending" himself aren't even great. I mean, even Bruce Lee fighting was different from his actual martial artistry. They do it to sell the motion of it. Where a straight forward punch or kick would work....how about a roundhouse kick to the face? and etc etc. Based off his films, he's not a great martial artist. As a stuntman? Fuck yeah...he's great at that. And therefore...why he's not a fav.
Old 12-18-09, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well favorite is one thing, and for that my choice it Jet Li.

Most legitimate is another thing, and Jet Li also takes that. I forget how many gold medals he won at the Chinese Wushu championship but it was way over 10. He is a prodigy at the stuff. He was defeating older, far more experienced people in his early teens.
Old 12-18-09, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC View Post
Yuen Baio is really underrated. Sammo and Jackie totally overshadow him. I'd still kill to get a film with all the HK greats in there.
Yeah, I agree; really underrated. I'm sure even Bruce thought he was a badass since Yuen doubled for him and worked on his movies.
Old 12-18-09, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse View Post
Well favorite is one thing, and for that my choice it Jet Li.

Most legitimate is another thing, and Jet Li also takes that. I forget how many gold medals he won at the Chinese Wushu championship but it was way over 10. He is a prodigy at the stuff. He was defeating older, far more experienced people in his early teens.
Yeah, but that was the non sparring side of it. I have clips of him as a kid in competition. He never did full contact Sanda.

Edit: Here's the DVD of the clips I was referring to.

http://www.amazon.com/This-Kung-Fu-J...1160141&sr=8-1

Last edited by mrhan; 12-18-09 at 12:17 PM.
Old 12-18-09, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Perhaps you could provide with the picture of each
Old 12-18-09, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cheato View Post
Had to go with Jet Li.

I really respect Donnie Yen's mastery of the staff (bo), and of course Jackie Chan and Bruce Lee have their own well-deserved multiple reasons to be at the top of the list.

However, IMO, Fearless, the movie about Huo Yuanjia, was amazing, and I thought Jet Li's performance in it was fantastic. Add to that the fact that he uses Tai Chi as part of his martial arts style (albeit at a much higher speed than the retirees out on the beach in the early AM). And, I loved the story about how when they made the movie "The One," test audiences laughed at the fight scenes because they thought they had been artificially sped up. The fight scenes you see in the actual theatrical release of the movie are actually slowed down to look more realistic. I don't know if it's true or not, but it's pretty cool to think so.
Tai Chi is a fighting system. I think they say with Kung Fu you can learn to fight in a year, but with Tai Chi you can learn to fight in ten years, but you'll be a great fighter.

The great thing about "the One" is that Jet Li uses a different fighting style for each character to seperate them during fights. It's pretty nerdy, but also really cool.
Old 12-18-09, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I gotta go with Sammo, I've seen more fights with him and more of his fight choreography.
Old 12-18-09, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 437 Likes on 310 Posts

Alexander Fu Sheng
Old 12-18-09, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 648 Likes on 453 Posts

The Brucester, alone for the purity of his fight scenes, not to mention his virtuosity as a fighter. No wires or other nonsense.
The others have all had great moments, especially Biao, Yen, and Li.
Old 12-18-09, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Maxflier View Post
I think Van Damme was drunk off his ass at the time, but who cares? This thread is for everyone's FAVORITE martial artist and I love Van Damme and his movies, I could give a shit if he lost a fight to someone.

What if he lost that fight to Tom Po?
Old 12-18-09, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by costanza View Post
What if he lost that fight to Tom Po?
That would have changed everything
Old 12-18-09, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do cage fighters count?

Old 12-18-09, 06:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Osiris3657 View Post
Chuck Norris is the most overrated martial artist I've ever seen. Yes I know he's like a x-time world karate champion or whatever, but his fight scenes are embarrassingly poor.

At least the Chuck Norris Facts are hilarious
Well, you gotta understand Chuck is using his Karate Champion skills and not wire-fu like Jet Lee .
Old 12-18-09, 06:26 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 312 Likes on 190 Posts

Fuck, I accidentally voted for Jet Li when I meant to vote for Bruce Lee. Hands down the best martial artists on that list.
Old 12-18-09, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Since this is all about film then I'd have to base this on more than just martial art skilz - screen presence, acting ability, martial artistry ..and lastly, fucking attitude (of course only when appropriate).

Bar none - Bruce Li

Jet Li is my personal favorite however - super fast and amazing martial artist skills, but he does not have the chops (no pun intended) in acting or screen presence in most cases. His facial expressions/reactions remind me of a lost child some times and I can't explain why. Not bold enough.

Donny Yen can raise the attitude bar, has the skills and insight, and is utterly bad ass but his acting ability is the shit (imho) - and I mean the bad version.

Tony Jaa is powerful and has the skills, but everything else is weak, weak, weak. He's essentially a heavily flawed Jackie Chan Muay Thai rip-off artist ...which is fine, but in the grand scheme end of day sort of way leaves him flailing away with no back up.

Jackie Chan has charisma, style and acting ability ...but I just haven't seen enough of his works to put him up top. Most of the films I've seen him in (latter half of career) I just don't take the guy serious enough ...or with enough attitude to get me behind him.

Sammo Hung is a talented martial artist. I still can't believe he moves as well as he does for his size. Phenomenal! And the boy can act. But the screen presence just doesn't do anything for me ...old or new films (Magnificent Butcher to SPL). I would admit that I haven't seen enough to put him up top, but I respect the guy for his abilities and the impact that he has had on the martial art film world. The only problem is that if Bruce Li had not been taken so early on ...the impact would have been greater.

Any others, with respect, I haven't witnessed enough for an opinion. Bruce Li suits every criteria I have in mind as a blend between martial artistry and film - easily.
Old 12-18-09, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 437 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by visitor Q View Post
Bruce Li suits every criteria I have in mind as a blend between martial artistry and film - easily.

Bruce Li came along as the Bruce Lee impersonator.

As far as real martial artists, none match Bruce Lee. However, in his onscreen fights, he has even said himself, that they are over-exaggerated movements. Other than the face off with O'Hara, I don't really care for most of his film's fight choreography.

Last edited by devilshalo; 12-18-09 at 07:55 PM.
Old 12-18-09, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Regardless of the name argument, on screen martial arts should be what is most debatable. The reference between "Lee" or "Li" is secondary I would think. Then again .....
Old 12-18-09, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Bruce Lee is in a class by himself!

He IS a legend!
Old 12-18-09, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Sho Kosugi
Old 12-18-09, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by wm lopez View Post
Well, you gotta understand Chuck is using his Karate Champion skills and not wire-fu like Jet Lee .
Jet Li is an 8 time wushu world champion and was a member of the Chinese Olympic team when he was younger
Old 12-18-09, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by visitor Q View Post
Jackie Chan has charisma, style and acting ability ...but I just haven't seen enough of his works to put him up top. Most of the films I've seen him in (latter half of career) I just don't take the guy serious enough ...or with enough attitude to get me behind him.
You should really check out his stuff like Wheels on Meals, Dragons Forever, Operation Condor 1 and 2. That will change your mind about his skills
Old 12-19-09, 06:26 AM

Old 12-19-09, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts

Old 12-19-09, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 648 Likes on 453 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo View Post
As far as real martial artists, none match Bruce Lee. However, in his onscreen fights, he has even said himself, that they are over-exaggerated movements. Other than the face off with O'Hara, I don't really care for most of his film's fight choreography.
Some of the choreography wasn't the best. For instance, in The Chinese Connection, although I love the scene near the beginning when he clears the Japanese dojo, it's dead-obvious that his opponents are basically walking into his roundhouse kicks one-by-one, rather than attacking him en masse.

Possibly my favourite Lee "moment" is from his fight against Bob Wall in Return of the Dragon. The move in which he, in a matter of a split second, kicks Wall's ankle and then his head, is just stunning skill and speed.

Last edited by Norm de Plume; 12-19-09 at 11:59 AM.
Old 12-19-09, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Osiris3657 View Post
You should really check out his stuff like Wheels on Meals, Dragons Forever, Operation Condor 1 and 2. That will change your mind about his skills
Oh I don't doubt Chan's skills - I just don't take the guy serious enough. But I appreciate the recommendations ...I really need to see his earlier works. Are the Drunken Master films some of his best highlights?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.