Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Movies which were Star vehicles and the star blew their chance at Superstardom

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Movies which were Star vehicles and the star blew their chance at Superstardom

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-09, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Movies which were Star vehicles and the star blew their chance at Superstardom

Actually I'd say Fever Pitch was his bigger bomb. Any comedian could've done Taxi so his appearance in that didn't mean much either way. But Fever Pitch ended his chances of being a leading man in a real acting film (especially as a romantic lead).
Old 12-12-09, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts
Re: Movies which were Star vehicles and the star blew their chance at Superstardom

Jaye Davidson - Stargate
Old 12-12-09, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I thought we should be naming films that were somewhat successful that the star didn't take full advantage of. Why are films like Battlefield Earth, Batman & Robin and Cutthroat Island being mentioned? It's not like it is the star's fault these movies were goddamn awful.
Old 12-12-09, 03:07 PM

I thought we were naming vehicles that killed a budding star's career.
Old 12-12-09, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
Jaye Davidson - Stargate
He didn't blow his chances, he simply didn't want them. That's why he only agreed to do Stargate for a million dollars, so he could cash out early.
Old 12-12-09, 03:46 PM

Cuba Gooding Jr. in Jerry Maguire
Old 12-12-09, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Drexl
Another one is Yahoo Serious in Young Einstein.
While I can somewhat agree with you, hes only done 3 films though. Granted, Young Einstein was his first and best of the three.
Old 12-12-09, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Skyclad01
While I can somewhat agree with you, hes only done 3 films though. Granted, Young Einstein was his first and best of the three.
Doesn't only doing 3 films make him ideal for this thread?
Old 12-12-09, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Drexl
Doesn't only doing 3 films make him ideal for this thread?
Id say thats fair enough, lol

Another person id add here would be Phoebe Cates in Drop Dead Fred
Old 12-12-09, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BJacks
Actually I'd say Fever Pitch was his bigger bomb. Any comedian could've done Taxi so his appearance in that didn't mean much either way. But Fever Pitch ended his chances of being a leading man in a real acting film (especially as a romantic lead).
See, I think that's just the thing. Fever Pitch was only going to appeal to a specific crowd anyways since Farrelly's are hit-and-miss (mostly miss) and it was a baseball-themed, Red Sox comedy.

Taxi was a non-descript comedy that a comedian should have been able to make successful based on their performance alone. But Fallon is such a nervous bore that he made it look like an abysmal piece of shit, which it was. A better comedian, like, say, Chris Rock, could have made it at least watchable.
Old 12-12-09, 04:57 PM

Are We There Yet & Are We Done Yet? - Ice Cube
Old 12-12-09, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Kingdom of Heaven and Elizabethtown - These movies were supposed to have launched Orlando Bloom into superstardom as a leading man. Oops.

Batman Forever and The Saint - Val Kilmer could have been what Brad Pitt is today. Last seen (well, heard) as the voice of KITT in the Knight Rider remake.

Stealth - Josh Lucas can't pick a script to save his life.
Old 12-12-09, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

EW named her the worst Bond villain of all time and she got a Razzie award for worst performance.
Denise Richards was the villain?
Old 12-12-09, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Piper Perabo in Coyote Ugly back in 2000.
Old 12-12-09, 05:34 PM

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts

Julia Ormond - Sabrina
Paulina Porizkova - Her Alibi
Timothy Dalton - Licence to Kill
Alec Baldwin - The Shadow
Billy Zane - The Phantom
Old 12-12-09, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by dhmac
Whoops, I meant worst bond girl. Sorry.
Old 12-12-09, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

This thread is turning into "name a bad movie that a B/C-level celebrity starred in".
Old 12-12-09, 11:18 PM

I viewed this thread as name a movie where an actor who was riding a fresh wave of success starred in that stopped their new career dead in their tracks.
Old 12-13-09, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

EW named her the worst Bond villain of all time and she got a Razzie award for worst performance. She was pretty widely panned by everyone, so I'm sure it had an effect on her career. Actresses get a lot of heat by simply being the "Bond Girl," and if it was a standout performance she should have gotten some meaty roles out of it.
You mean like Maryam d'Abo, Lois Chiles, Barbara Bach, and Maud Adams? The only Bond Girls who've had successful careers have been the ones who were successful before doing Bond. Of the ones for whom a Bond film was their big break, they're lucky if they end up with a supporting role on a TV series like Tanya Roberts and Carey Lowell.
Old 12-13-09, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Worthington's great, he has a long career ahead of him. He was fine in Terminator Salvation, fantastic in Avatar and I hear he's pretty good in Clash of the Titans.
Link?
Old 12-13-09, 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by RyoHazuki
Link?
We were on set and I've heard from industry folks.
Old 12-13-09, 01:07 AM

Alicia Silverstone - Excess Baggage

After Clueless, Silverstone was the talk of Hollywood. Then this movie bombed and she disappeared off the face of the earth.

Kristy Swanson - Buffy the Vampire Slayer

If only Josh Whedon had directed this movie then Swanson might have become the big star instead of Sarah Michelle Gellar.
Old 12-13-09, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Gretchen Mol in the Bettie Page movie.
Old 12-13-09, 02:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Luke Wilson is a walking monument to epic fail. Dude gets so many chances I have to wonder who he has pictures of.

But while I think Wilson has no redeemable talent, Uma Thurman certainly does and has blown repeated opportunities. Ok, she was 18-19 and freaked out at all the attention her naked boobs got in 'Dangerous Liasons' and went into hiding for a year. She was a kid. But post 'Pulp Fiction," she was doing 'Beautiful Girls' and 'The Truth About Cats & Dogs.' 'Gattaca' was a flop at the time and found its fame in later years. She laid low after having 2 kids, came back, got a ton of momentum coming out of the 'Kill Bill' flicks and then blew it because she refuses to work outside of NYC where she lives (due to the kids) and ends up doing dreck like 'My Super Ex-Girlfriend' and 'Motherhood.' She should have gotten an Oscar by now but, well... I guess her film career isn't the top thing in her life. That much is obvious by her decision to stay in NYC rather than work.

Wasn't 'Showgirls' supposed to make Elizabeth Berkeley a star? More fail there.

Clive Owen has had a sad amount of misfires that never caught on. I'm still not sure the guy is over big (able to open a movie).

BTW, was anyone expected to become a star out of the LotR movies? Cuz that trilogy didn't elevate anyone, even Viggo.

Last edited by Traxan; 12-13-09 at 02:44 AM.
Old 12-13-09, 04:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by dhmac
She only seemed like the villain.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.