Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Movies which were Star vehicles and the star blew their chance at Superstardom

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 12-12-09, 04:55 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Actors got a bit of a name from other projects, get a breakout role as a star and blow it so bad that they fade into averageness. (i.e. the flip side of Tom Cruise and Top Gun).

These come immediately to mind

Kuffs - Christian Slater

Rollerball - Chris Klein

Action Jackson - Carl Weathers
Old 12-12-09, 05:44 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Movies which were Star vehicles and the star blew their chance at Superstardom

Fred Ward - Remo Williams
Andrew McCarthy - Mannequin (or should this be another film?)
Jason Biggs - Loser
Lou Diamond Phillips - Dakota maybe?

Last edited by BJacks; 12-12-09 at 05:51 AM.
Old 12-12-09, 05:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Movies which were Star vehicles and the star blew their chance at Superstardom

I think Christian Slater's fall was Alone In The Dark. Though, he was starting to come back in his TV series My Own Worst Enemy. But sadly, that got cancelled

One that really comes to mind is

Angus - Charlie Talbert. He had a very, very strong first movie appearence and lead acting role there. Unfortunately that was it. After Angus he just went to the crapper.

Casper Van Dien was very good in Starship Troopers. But it seems like any of his roles after that just didn't match up.

Party Girl - Parker Posey. That was her only good role. Her role in Scream 3 was too ditzy to take. Although her role in Josey And The Pussycats was slightly funny, as was her role in The House Of Yes. Ive yet to see how she is in Personal Velocity though.

Girl - Tara Reid. Very talented role there. Sadly, her ditzy on film roles seemed to have made her just as ditzy off film as well

Another one from Girl and a year before that - Lolita is Dominique Swain. All her other performances after that have been forgettable.

Trust - Adrienne Shelly. A great role in that movie. And I believe I read that her other great role was in her final film Waitress. May she rest in peace

Thats all I can think of off hand for now.
Old 12-12-09, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by BJacks
Andrew McCarthy - Mannequin (or should this be another film?)
Jason Biggs - Loser
I would say for Andrew McCarthy, his high point was Less Than Zero.

And for Jason Biggs, it would be after the American Pie trilogy.
Old 12-12-09, 05:55 AM

Ok true. Change Loser to Woody Allen's Anything Else then. I forgot about that one.

I'd add Brittany Murphy to the list. She broke out with 8 Mile and then did crap like Just Married and Uptown Girls and nosedived from there.

Last edited by BJacks; 12-12-09 at 05:58 AM.
Old 12-12-09, 06:02 AM

Toss Denise Richards in there too. She broke out with Wild Things and then blew it with The World Is Not Enough.
Old 12-12-09, 06:05 AM

I'd add Brittany Murphy to the list. She broke out with 8 Mile and then did crap like Just Married and Uptown Girls and nosedived from there.

For me, she broke out with Girl Interrupted and Spun. Though I agree that she certainly matched it with 8 mile. probably did better with that one now that I think about it, so yeah, Ill agree with that one.

My add would be Robin Tunney. She had 3 great roles: Empire Records, The Craft and Niagra, Niagra. But after that, it didnt seem like anything else held up. (but I havent seen The Zodiac or her role in the Mentalist, so I may be mistaken there)
Old 12-12-09, 06:12 AM

Another add would have to be Samantha Mathis. Her only 2 good ones (I think) were Broken Arrow and Pump Up The Volume.
Old 12-12-09, 07:21 AM

Tobey Maguire and Spiderman? Would this qualify? he isnt really starring in any movies.
Old 12-12-09, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Man-Thing
Tobey Maguire and Spiderman? Would this qualify? he isnt really starring in any movies.
BROTHERS just came out like a week ago.
Old 12-12-09, 07:34 AM

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts

Actors got a bit of a name from other projects, get a breakout role as a star and blow it so bad that they fade into averageness.
David Caruso - Jade
Judd Nelson - Blue City
Jeremy London - Mallrats
Chris O'Donnell - Batman & Robin
Rachel Leigh Cook - Josie and the Pussycats
Justine Bateman - Satisfaction
Geena Davis - Cutthroat Island
Anthony Michael Hall - Out of Bounds
C. Thomas Howell - Soul Man

Last edited by Perkinsun Dzees; 12-12-09 at 08:02 AM.
Old 12-12-09, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 211 Posts

Colin Farrell - pick any film from his filmography. I'd guess it was PHONE BOOTH that most firmly derailed his stardom.

P.S. Although he seems to have made a comfortable transition to character actor, which may have been what he wanted all along. I suspect he'll have a long career as long as he does supporting roles.

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 12-12-09 at 08:04 AM.
Old 12-12-09, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by Perkinsun Dzees
David Caruso - Jade
Judd Nelson - Blue City
Jeremy London - Mallrats
Chris O'Donnell - Batman & Robin
Justine Bateman - Satisfaction
Anthony Michael Hall - Out of Bounds
C. Thomas Howell - Soul Man

What about The Dead Zone?
Old 12-12-09, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Man-Thing
He was hilarious in Tropic Thunder...
Old 12-12-09, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Toss Denise Richards in there too. She broke out with Wild Things and then blew it with The World Is Not Enough.
I don't think she blew it by being in a tremendously successful film. It's just that actresses in Hollywood have about an 18 month shelf-life.
Old 12-12-09, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara
I don't think she blew it by being in a tremendously successful film. It's just that actresses in Hollywood have about an 18 month shelf-life.
EW named her the worst Bond villain of all time and she got a Razzie award for worst performance. She was pretty widely panned by everyone, so I'm sure it had an effect on her career. Actresses get a lot of heat by simply being the "Bond Girl," and if it was a standout performance she should have gotten some meaty roles out of it.
Old 12-12-09, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

For Dana Carvey, Clean Slate (1994) and possibly Opportunity Knocks (1990). Outside of the Wayne's World movies (in which he's practically hidden behind the hair and glasses), he hasn't had a successful film career. The comeback attempt Master of Disguise failed as well.

Another one is Yahoo Serious in Young Einstein.
Old 12-12-09, 10:47 AM

I guess Cuba Gooding Jr. should be on this list considering his choices after Jerry Maguire. Not sure what film to put though. Instinct, maybe? Though it was Boat Trip and Radio that really sealed the deal.
Old 12-12-09, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

It seemed they were trying to make a pretty boy star out of James Franco for a while with stuff like Flyboys and Tristan and Isolde. His role in Pineapple Express at least showed he could be more than that and he has gotten some pretty good acting roles since then, though he may never be the breakout star.

I guess one might say Jennifer's Body with Megan Fox.
Old 12-12-09, 11:52 AM

Received 1,885 Likes on 1,114 Posts

Originally Posted by Perkinsun Dzees
David Caruso - Jade
I'd say Kiss of Death was the biggest, loudest nail he hammered in his own coffin.
Old 12-12-09, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Mark Hammil = Car accident?
Christopher Reeve = I think it was called Puzzle box? Death Trap?
Old 12-12-09, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Halle Berry: everything after Monster's Ball
Sharon Stone: everything after Basic Instinct
Heather Graham: everything after From Hell
Barry Pepper: not really his fault, but everything after Battlefield Earth
Orlando Bloom: he was great in Kingdom of Heaven, but everything after that (which is not a Pirate movie)

Concerning Christaine Slater, he basically just had a good run - hes more washed up. I loved all his leading movies - hard rain, broken arrow, and his earlier ones
Old 12-12-09, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

A recent/new test of superstardom chance would be Sam Worthington in Avatar.

I would have said Worthington in Terminator Salvation but Christian Bale was credited as the lead in that. With Avatar he'll be the only lead in that if I'm not mistaken.
Old 12-12-09, 02:38 PM

Worthington's great, he has a long career ahead of him. He was fine in Terminator Salvation, fantastic in Avatar and I hear he's pretty good in Clash of the Titans.
Old 12-12-09, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Jimmy Fallon in Taxi.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.