Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Movies which were Star vehicles and the star blew their chance at Superstardom

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Movies which were Star vehicles and the star blew their chance at Superstardom

Old 12-13-09, 06:55 AM
Banned

Re: Movies which were Star vehicles and the star blew their chance at Superstardom

He's dead now, but Dudley Moore after 1979's 10 and 1981's ARTHUR he never had a hit again.
But he would put out a movie every year for years.
Old 12-13-09, 07:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Movies which were Star vehicles and the star blew their chance at Superstardom

The Perfect Weapon was supposed to turn Jeff Speakman into the next Seagal/Van Damme.

Most of the failed 'musician turned actor' vehicles would qualify for this thread like Glitter, Crossroads, etc.
Old 12-13-09, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I thought after Titanic, Billy Zane would have had a much bigger career than he does now. The film didn't help him one bit.
Old 12-13-09, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I agree, I was surprised that Zane wasn't able to get better roles after Titanic. He had more starring roles BEFORE that movie. Dead Calm, Demon Knight, The Phantom.
Old 12-13-09, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Skyclad01 View Post
Id say thats fair enough, lol

Another person id add here would be Phoebe Cates in Drop Dead Fred
I read that after marrying Kevin Kline she switched careers to be a SAHM.
Old 12-13-09, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Navinabob View Post
Mark Hammil = Car accident?
Christopher Reeve = I think it was called Puzzle box? Death Trap?
Maybe it bombed (not sure) but i thought Death Trap was an excellent movie.....with the exception of Dyan Canon.
Old 12-13-09, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose View Post
Gretchen Mol in the Bettie Page movie.
You're a decade late on that. Vanity Fair was hyping her has the New It Girl back in '98, but her film career never lived up to the hype.

(The cover is mildly NSFW.)

Spoiler:
Old 12-13-09, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa

I would say Tia Carrere. After Wayne's World and True Lies she seemed like she might have a promising career ahead of her, then came Jury Duty.

Crap, but I guess that doesn't count as a star vehicle. Nevermind. She's just always struck me as someone on the cusp of stardom who had their career derailed.
Old 12-13-09, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Luciano Pavarotti in Yes, Giorgio. YES!! Score it!! 3 POINTS! SWISH!!!
Old 12-13-09, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Perkinsun Dzees View Post
Billy Zane - The Phantom
Didn't he go from The Phantom to lead villain in Titanic? I'm not sure I'd agree about him.
Old 12-13-09, 12:51 PM

Chris Klein - After the American Pie movies he was in We Were Soldiers with Mel Gibson and then nothing of note after that.

Sean William Scott - While he has been able to continue doing Stifler type roles, I thought he could have broke out into a bigger star after the American Pie movies.

Josh Hartnett - Lucky # Slevin and 30 Days of Night are guilty pleasure movies I liked but they bombed at the theatre. It seemed that Josh Hartnett was going to take off after Black Hawk Down but it didn't happen. He got a chance two years later when he co starred opposite Harrison Ford in Hollywood Homicide but that was so bad that it really shouldn't be mentioned again. Black Hawk Down still kicked ass though.
Old 12-13-09, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY

Originally Posted by McLovin View Post
Alicia Silverstone - Excess Baggage

After Clueless, Silverstone was the talk of Hollywood. Then this movie bombed and she disappeared off the face of the earth.
didn't she admit to not bathing very often and not shaving her legs shortly after that? that might have hurt her career a bit
Old 12-13-09, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Superman Begins for Brandon Routh. It was supposed to make him a star and didn't.
Old 12-13-09, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mikehunt View Post
didn't she admit to not bathing very often and not shaving her legs shortly after that? that might have hurt her career a bit
That's the first I ever heard of that...
Old 12-13-09, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by McLovin View Post
Alicia Silverstone - Excess Baggage

After Clueless, Silverstone was the talk of Hollywood. Then this movie bombed and she disappeared off the face of the earth.
That's a good one. After Clueless, it did seem like Alicia Silverstone was going to have a great career. But looking back now, both Paul Rudd and (shockingly) Brittany Murphy have had better careers than Silverstone.
Old 12-13-09, 03:02 PM

Just a few thoughts after reading everyone's posts...

I really like Colin Farrell, and yes I'm one of the few that enjoys Phone Booth, but man I don't know how he messed up his chance for stardom.

The LOTR made Peter Jackson a bona fide star director, totally agree with the actors not really getting the rub from those movies.

And Orlando Bloom hit it pretty big with the Pirates trilogy, even though Depp overshadowed him.

Lastly, I obviously don't know this for sure, but I've always thought Val Kilmer liked being an under the radar type of actor. It always seems to me that he would always do a huge movie and follow it with something that wouldn't propel him into stardom. I mean I'm a huge Kilmer fan and love way too many of his movies (Top Gun, Batman Forever, Heat, Doors, Alexander, Mind Hunters, Saint, Ghost and the Darkness, and Tombstone are all in heavy rotation at my house).
Old 12-13-09, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by rabbit77 View Post
I read that after marrying Kevin Kline she switched careers to be a SAHM.
Yep, and Drop Dead Fred is also a poor choice because it came out after Phoebe Cates had already been starring in movies for about 10 years and just a year or two before her self-imposed retirement to raise her kids.
Old 12-13-09, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by House13 View Post
Just a few thoughts after reading everyone's posts...

I really like Colin Farrell, and yes I'm one of the few that enjoys Phone Booth, but man I don't know how he messed up his chance for stardom.

The LOTR made Peter Jackson a bona fide star director, totally agree with the actors not really getting the rub from those movies.

And Orlando Bloom hit it pretty big with the Pirates trilogy, even though Depp overshadowed him.

Lastly, I obviously don't know this for sure, but I've always thought Val Kilmer liked being an under the radar type of actor. It always seems to me that he would always do a huge movie and follow it with something that wouldn't propel him into stardom. I mean I'm a huge Kilmer fan and love way too many of his movies (Top Gun, Batman Forever, Heat, Doors, Alexander, Mind Hunters, Saint, Ghost and the Darkness, and Tombstone are all in heavy rotation at my house).
You really love Batman Forever? Wow... And I wouldn't say Bloom hit it big with Pirates, those were huge movies but they were completely about Johnny Depp, who had all the heat with that property. Bloom was in it but he played a prettyboy dullard who really only passed time until Depp came back.

Still though, the guy's been in six movies that each made over $700 million worldwide and couldn't headline a film himself to save his life. That's like Captain Insano insane.

Last edited by Hokeyboy; 12-13-09 at 03:14 PM.
Old 12-13-09, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think that Jungle 2 Jungle killed Jonathon Taylor Thomas's career in one way or another. He was a huge teen idol coming off of Home Improvement, but did nothing afterwards (except some voice work).
Old 12-13-09, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Tarantino View Post
I think that Jungle 2 Jungle killed Jonathon Taylor Thomas's career in one way or another. He was a huge teen idol coming off of Home Improvement, but did nothing afterwards (except some voice work).
He wasn't in Jungle 2 Jungle. You might be thinking of Man of the House with Chevy Chase. Wild America was another try at making him relevant again, and failed.

I'll offer up Michael Beck in Xanadu.

His quote on it his hilarious. "'The Warriors' opened a lot of doors in film, for me, which 'Xanadu' then closed."

Last edited by TheNightFlier; 12-13-09 at 05:25 PM.
Old 12-13-09, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Klinton Spilsbury as the title character in the 1981's theatrical flop The Legend of The Lone Ranger. He not only never appeared in another film, all of his dialogue had to be redubbed by Stacey Keach.
Old 12-13-09, 08:47 PM

I would definitely say Ewan McGregor, due to the Star Wars prequels. Yes I know he took some time off to do that motorcycle documentary, but his career really hasn't been the same since. Given that he probably spent the most time on screen in close proximity to Jar Jar Binks, it's surprising that he can find work at all. Which is too bad, because he's a good actor.

Also, Jude Law, probably due to Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow, or Alfie, he had a few disasters in a row and then mostly vanished. Yes, I know he is playing Dr Watson in the new Sherlock Holmes movie, but he probably would have played Holmes if the movie had been made 5 or 6 years ago.

And of course, Lindsay Lohan, who never had much of a career in the first place, but her behavior on the set of Georgia Rule, as well as the box office disaster thereof, pretty much ensured that she was going to be unemployed for quite some time.
Old 12-13-09, 09:09 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by misterchimpy View Post

And of course, Lindsay Lohan, who never had much of a career in the first place, but her behavior on the set of Georgia Rule, as well as the box office disaster thereof, pretty much ensured that she was going to be unemployed for quite some time.
Lindsay had a very good career for an 18-year old actress. She was a rather well-known child star and made the transition to teen films. FREAKY FRIDAY and MEAN GIRLS were hits.
Old 12-13-09, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by House13 View Post

well Viggo Mortinson has been in a bunch of leading man roles and has been nominated for an oscar, and dominic Monnaham had a big part on the show Lost (and is now on flashforward)
Old 12-13-09, 09:31 PM
Banned

and Viggo M. is now know for being a damn gritty actor. I think he's done well, most actors would like to have his career.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.