Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Avatar (Cameron, 2009) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Avatar (Cameron, 2009) — The Reviews Thread
25.00%
20.00%
26.25%
9.69%
6.56%
3.44%
3.44%
0.94%
0.94%
0.31%
1.25%
James Cameron can kiss my skinny/fat ass!
2.19%
Voters: 320. You may not vote on this poll

Avatar (Cameron, 2009) — The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-09, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Avatar (Cameron, 2009) — The Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Draven
Don't get me started on that "every creature on the planet has a USB port" nonsense.
That's exactly the terminology that popped into my head after I saw it on the weekend as well. After the umpteenth "bonding" scene it got really silly. Reminds me now of the overuse of the full head disguises in MI2.

I'm pretty sure that the reason Grace's consciousness could not be transferred to her Avatar body was because they didn't format the destination drive first. Either that or there was insufficient space on that destination drive. :P
Old 12-21-09, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

That was one of the elements I really liked! Different strokes, I guess...
Old 12-21-09, 01:12 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
I don't know what mm it was in, but it certainly went all the way to both the very top and the very bottom of the entire screen - I made a mental note of it as it seemed odd to me.
I saw Avatar at the Irvine Spectrum this weekend. The image did not go all the way to the top and bottom of the screen, nor did it fill in all the horizontal space. The image was aprox 1.77:1 or 1.85:1 projected onto the full 1.44:1 IMAX screen, this gives Avatar a projected image suspended in the center of the screen with black areas on all four sides. That screen is designed for full 16 perf 70mm IMAX. Avatar was not filmed in that format, and therefore does not occupy the entire screen.

Last edited by Mabuse; 12-21-09 at 01:15 PM.
Old 12-21-09, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

from IMDB:

To help the actors prepare for their roles, director James Cameron took the cast and crew to Hawaii, where they spent their days trekking through the forests and jungles and living like tribes (building campfires, eating fish, etc), in order to get a better sense of what it would be like to live and move around in the jungle on Pandora, since there would not be any actual jungle sets to aid and guide the actors and crew. Zoe Saldana even dressed up as a warrior during these journeys, complete with an alien tail symbolic of the one her character has in the movie. These hikes were only done during the daytime, though; The cast and crew spent their nights at a Four Seasons hotel.
I guess even the movie's actors don't believe the message of the movie themselves.

I hated this movie, but not for the same reasons that people hated Wall-E. I felt like people who hated Wall-E because they thought it was a crucifixion of humanity didn't really understand the movie. It's not a treatise on capitalism, or overconsumption, or anything like that.

But this movie... dear god almighty... there were so many things that offended me, and it only got worse as the movie went on.

Last edited by Superboy; 12-21-09 at 01:42 PM.
Old 12-21-09, 01:59 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Blu Man
Um, no. Dances with Wolves and AVATAR are completly different, similar but completly different. The intentions of the characters are different, the beleifs of the characters are different, the relationship between Jake and Nytri is much different then the of Dances with Wolves and Stands with a Fist. Also, the ending is different, the design is different, the Navi care about there planet even more then native americans. Pretty much these films have no relation other then the underline story of a man falling in love with the natives, and that whole concept has been around since before "Dance with Wolves" ever came out. Plus Dances with Wolves was not written and the idea was not created by Costner, so I doubt he would sue even if they were exact copies.
I know this is from several pages back, but Kevin Costner did write the screenplay for Dances with Wolves.
Old 12-21-09, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Liver&Onions
I'd like to know as well.

Fandango shows The Roseway as the only non-chain around here showing it in 3D...was that it?
Yeah, it's The Roseway. It's easily the best theater in Portland, despite not having stadium seats. $9 for 3D shows is also a great selling point.
Old 12-21-09, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
Yeah, it's The Roseway. It's easily the best theater in Portland, despite not having stadium seats. $9 for 3D shows is also a great selling point.
thanks. I noticed the GKleinman also pimped the Roseway for it.
Old 12-21-09, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Mabuse
I know this is from several pages back, but Kevin Costner did write the screenplay for Dances with Wolves.
Costner did not write the film he just directed it.
Old 12-21-09, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Superboy
from IMDB:

I guess even the movie's actors don't believe the message of the movie themselves.

I hated this movie, but not for the same reasons that people hated Wall-E. I felt like people who hated Wall-E because they thought it was a crucifixion of humanity didn't really understand the movie. It's not a treatise on capitalism, or overconsumption, or anything like that.

But this movie... dear god almighty... there were so many things that offended me, and it only got worse as the movie went on.
You were OFFENDED by Avatar? Serously? WOW
Old 12-21-09, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by shanester
Costner did not write the film he just directed it.
Indeed.

Unless, "Michael Blake" is a pseudonym, Costner most certainly did not write the screenplay for Dances with Wolves.

Michael Blake (screenplay)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099348/

from IMDB:

So you're saying that an actor has to sleep in a rain forest in order to show that they believe in a movie's message?

I've heard of method acting, but that's just taking it too far.

Last edited by ckw4b; 12-21-09 at 08:51 PM.
Old 12-21-09, 10:19 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

from IMDB:

WALL-E wasn't a treatise on overconsumption? When the world was destroyed by over collective trash and the remnants of humanity are being turned into carbon blobs by a company called Buy-N-Large?

Now, don't get me wrong. I loved WALL-E. But the idea that it ISN'T about consumption or capitalism is ridiculous. And I don't know what possibly could have offended you about Avatar. Gummo offended me. Gummo featured malformed kids harming animals. That's offensive. What, exactly, about Avatar offended you?
Old 12-21-09, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I saw it tonight. It was incredibly entertaining, in large part due to its amazing visuals. I could do without the hamfisted political and environmental messages, but it was great other than that.

My Monday night, 7 PM showing was sold out. That's pretty impressive.
Old 12-21-09, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by johnnysd
You were OFFENDED by Avatar? Serously? WOW
Yeah, their really wasn't anything to be offended by. I went with some friends who are strictly conservative and Christian and they loved it as much as I did, they were not offended at all. I don't know how anyone could be offended by anything in this movie, it's not preachy or anything.
Old 12-21-09, 11:31 PM
Banned by request

Let's not wear blinders here, it can get pretty preachy at times.
Old 12-21-09, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's one thing that bugged the hell out of me during the movie: All of the photographs and computer screens, even the video log, were in 3D. What gives??
Old 12-21-09, 11:40 PM
Banned by request

Cameron believes that ultimately all of our media will be in 3D. Clearly he extrapolated that into the world of the movie.
Old 12-22-09, 12:10 AM

Saw this tonight, I'm a huge Cameron fan.

And while this movie is an A++ looker, a real technical marvel... I mean, it's so good that you forget you're looking at fake. Maybe the first time a movie has ever done that.

But man, the story, ugh. The dialogue is so bad, the characters are so one-dimensional. The story is really, really pedestrian.

Still, didn't hate it. Just kinda feel like while it was an amazing work of art, the rest was just average.
Old 12-22-09, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Let's not wear blinders here, it can get pretty preachy at times.
It can be, but I think we have been hammered over the head with the whole 'white guilt' message so much, that honestly it doesn't really effect me anymore. Maybe that has to do with me being half-korean, who knows.
Old 12-22-09, 01:21 AM
Banned

I give it 3 stars for IMAX 3-D, but 2 1/2 for just movie.
Old 12-22-09, 03:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
WALL-E wasn't a treatise on overconsumption? When the world was destroyed by over collective trash and the remnants of humanity are being turned into carbon blobs by a company called Buy-N-Large?
The people aboard the Axiom aren't greedy, or slothful, or "evil" in the way that we traditionally view capitalism and consumption. They just don't know any better because their lives have become so automated. They can't make their own choices in life because it's already been done for them.

Contrast that with Wall-E - He's an automaton that ultimately starts to make his own choices and starts to see the beauty in the little things around him, as opposed to the humans, who can't even see anything that's not put right in front of him. That's really the message of the movie.

What, exactly, about Avatar offended you?
The tired trope about colonial imperialist ambition that is somehow assuaged by the romance of a native. That is egregiously offensive to me. Somehow that simply because one of the conquerers who is teetering on the edge of his loyalties can somehow manage to muster up the courage that the natives lack (when in reality, what they lack is force).

Also, the plot did not make any sense whatsoever.
Old 12-22-09, 05:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Finally saw it tonight at a late show.

Cameron's dullard, cookie cutter, spoon feed the dummies in the audience crap took it down considerably. Could Cameron be more stupid and blatant with exposition and characters choices? No. I just sat there thinking "what if this budget and technology had been in the hands of a skilled and talented director". Too many stupid plot points to list.

But I can't deny it was a blast. Me and my friend had such a good time at the movies with this. It was so cool to see I would forget the poor directorial choices for fairly long periods.

4 stars because of that.

Too bad this was in the hands of such a mediocre director.

Man that 3D looked amazing.
Old 12-22-09, 06:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

which directors are able to handle the logistics of a huge movie and at the same time focus on intelligent story development and interesting characters? the only two i can think of are spielberg and ridley scott, and neither of them have been doing too well recently. cameron's an excellent director when it comes to being the general who marshells his recources to maximum effect. he's less effective at storytelling, but that's not generally the nature of these kinds of films unfortunately.
Old 12-22-09, 06:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The people aboard the Axiom aren't greedy, or slothful, or "evil" in the way that we traditionally view capitalism and consumption. They just don't know any better because their lives have become so automated. They can't make their own choices in life because it's already been done for them.
apathy is no excuse. if you don't view the people in the world of wall.e as slothful then it'd be interesting to know what your definition of the word is. evil doesn't have to be mustache twirling to still be present. the movie is a very good look at the way our own lives have started to go, and our own particular evils.

The tired trope about colonial imperialist ambition that is somehow assuaged by the romance of a native. That is egregiously offensive to me. Somehow that simply because one of the conquerers who is teetering on the edge of his loyalties can somehow manage to muster up the courage that the natives lack (when in reality, what they lack is force).
you seem to dislike the politics of the movie due to your own political bias. a little upset about the america/iraq situation still? that's fine. though the formulaic nature of the plot is certainly no worse than other blockbusters (as has already been mentioned many times) such as star wars or titanic.

btw the natives don't lack courage, they lack organisation.
Old 12-22-09, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 278 Likes on 210 Posts

Loved this movie, amazing visuals when you think that Cameron and co. created and scientifically designed all the plants and grass and placed them strategically, created this entire planet, the space station, not even mentioning the Na'vi....wow. James Cameron is back. I'm definitely going to have to see this again. Yes, some of the main military commander's dialogue was not the best (Would Wizard of Oz references still be relevant 150 years from now? Possibly...), but that wasn't a major issue.
Old 12-22-09, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Interesting thought. I think I could see the Kansas reference surviving long into the future when people have forgotten the source material. Similar to the way some Shakespeare quotes survive today.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.