Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Avatar (Cameron, 2009) — The Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Avatar (Cameron, 2009) — The Reviews Thread
25.00%
20.00%
26.25%
9.69%
6.56%
3.44%
3.44%
0.94%
0.94%
0.31%
1.25%
James Cameron can kiss my skinny/fat ass!
2.19%
Voters: 320. You may not vote on this poll

Avatar (Cameron, 2009) — The Reviews Thread

Old 12-20-09, 05:59 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Avatar (Cameron, 2009) — The Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
While the internet is full of rumors, I remember early 2003 reading that he was expressing interest and having the movie be half on cybertron and half on earth. Didn't happen.
Originally Posted by Brack
Because God forbid we actually see a Transformers movie that focuses on....the transformers.
Man...that would've rocked. His OCD attention to detail would've rocked my pants off with him doing Transformers.
Old 12-20-09, 06:06 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
Question about the aspect ratio:

I might be wrong, but the Imax image looked to be the whole Super 35 image, or 1:33. So will the blu-ray/dvd be a 1:78 ratio? There was definitely some head/foot space in the frame, but even at that ratio, there'd still be a good chunk of the image that would have to be cropped. Right?

BTW, anyone else let out a chuckle when one of the first credits at the end was for "Dune Entertainment", which is hilarious considering Avatar pretty mucb ripped off Dune's story wholesale.
Actually the IMAX ratio is somewhere between 1.77:1 and 1.85:1, it just didn't reach the sides of the screen, making it seem like a box. Of course, I'm referring to real IMAX, not digital, as it would fill the screen in digital IMAX.
Old 12-20-09, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Actually the IMAX ratio is somewhere between 1.77:1 and 1.85:1, it just didn't reach the sides of the screen, making it seem like a box. Of course, I'm referring to real IMAX, not digital, as it would fill the screen in digital IMAX.
That can't be right - or it must have been some sort of visual illusion. I mean, the Imax screen is 4x3 and since the image did reach the very top and bottom of the screen but not the sides, it would stand to reason that the image was a lot more narrow than just 1:77, right?

I guess this sheds some light on the issue, but the movie just looked a lot taller than 1:78 - maybe the put mattes on the side of the screen as far as they will go, making the screen look taller than it is.

Last edited by slop101; 12-20-09 at 07:05 PM.
Old 12-20-09, 08:21 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The movie doesn't reach the top and bottom of the screen. Don't know where you got that impression. Did you see it in 70mm IMAX?
Old 12-20-09, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't know what mm it was in, but it certainly went all the way to both the very top and the very bottom of the entire screen - I made a mental note of it as it seemed odd to me.
Old 12-20-09, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Unfortunately it is in downtown, but the Metreon in SF has a great 70mm IMAX.
I can vouch for this, saw The Dark Knight there earlier this year for its Oscars re-release and was blown away.
Old 12-20-09, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
I don't know what mm it was in, but it certainly went all the way to both the very top and the very bottom of the entire screen - I made a mental note of it as it seemed odd to me.
You probably saw it on a faux IMAX screen. Was your IMAX theater by itself or in the middle of a megaplex? Was your screen ten stories tall or a little bigger than a big movie screen?

See: http://azizisbored.tumblr.com/post/1...c-theaters-are
Old 12-20-09, 11:37 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

I'd go try to watch this on a real IMAX screen, but those lists of real and fake screens are not so accurate. I've yet to find one that has the screen size dimensions listed for each theater.
Old 12-21-09, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I voted 3 stars. I just saw this today, and my response was an overwhelming "meh." I saw it with six people, and ALL of them felt the same, so it was pretty much impossible to have a decent discussion of the film since we were all pretty much bashing it.

It wasn't terrible by any means (even mediocre Cameron is better than most director's best efforts), but it was easily my least favorite of all his movies. It was like he took everything that was awesome about Aliens and recut that movie with a bunch of neon colored, save the rainforest crap.

I loved the "human' scenes, but pretty much all the stuff with the blue people and their magical ponytails and orange dragons lost my interest. FX have come a long way, but the Navi still looked like cartoons.
Old 12-21-09, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Has anyone talked about the Na'vi's tails yet? That creepy tail linkage was very David Cronenbergish...
Old 12-21-09, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by shaun3000
You probably saw it on a faux IMAX screen. Was your IMAX theater by itself or in the middle of a megaplex? Was your screen ten stories tall or a little bigger than a big movie screen?

It was the Imax at the Irvine Spectrum, which is definitely a "true" Imax theater.
Old 12-21-09, 03:36 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Just something to add to the RealD vs. IMAX debate.

My local IMAX theater is a LieMAX so I skipped that and went to an independently run, single-screen, all digital theater. I've heard from sources who spoke to the owner, that Cameron recommended specific equipment for RealD screenings and many theaters, including Regal and Century use inferior 3D lenses and don't have the silver coating.

The theater I went to had the Cameron approved lens and the silver coating and has probably the best picture quality I've ever seen in a theater.

The only 3D films I've seen that weren't there were at Century theaters and the image quality definitely lacked a distinct pop.
Old 12-21-09, 07:05 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Saw the 3D version over the weekend; it was a noon show that was only about a 1/2 full.

It was pretty much what I expected going in: impressive visuals, nice-looking 3D and a story that was fairly predictable.

I didn't hate it, but I didn't love it. It was, however, a fun way to kill a couple of hours.
Old 12-21-09, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by toddly6666
Has anyone talked about the Na'vi's tails yet? That creepy tail linkage was very David Cronenbergish...

It was Cronenberg-lite, just this side of creepy.
Old 12-21-09, 07:18 AM

Ok I come in here and find out there are no blue penises. That's it, not seeing the movie.
Old 12-21-09, 07:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Boba Fett

My local IMAX theater is a LieMAX so I skipped that and went to an independently run, single-screen, all digital theater. I've heard from sources who spoke to the owner, that Cameron recommended specific equipment for RealD screenings and many theaters, including Regal and Century use inferior 3D lenses and don't have the silver coating.

The theater I went to had the Cameron approved lens and the silver coating and has probably the best picture quality I've ever seen in a theater.

The only 3D films I've seen that weren't there were at Century theaters and the image quality definitely lacked a distinct pop.
I went to watch it over the weekend in Plano at Cinemark's XD theater in 3D. Supermallet and I discussed this theater way back in the Star Trek thread. Now it does use only a 2K projector, but I was pretty happy with the image quality. The screen is bigger (72 ft across IIRC) than "fake IMAX" and it has 30 JBL speakers.

We are home now, and I do have tickets this week for Austin's real IMAX at the Bob Bullock museum. So for comparison I will see it here and also Alamo Drafthouse's 4K projection system. I know the screen will be the smallest at Alamo.
Old 12-21-09, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did not know about the "lieMAX" and glad I now do... I would have definetely went to the Empire 25 in TS this week to see it and now I will trek up to Lincoln Square to see it again. Good info to have.
Old 12-21-09, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by shaun3000

So the AMC Hoffman in Alexandria is just a slightly bigger screen??
Old 12-21-09, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The linkage was between their braided hair (probably extended from their cerebral cortex of sorts from their brain) and another creature.
Old 12-21-09, 09:16 AM

What single-screen theater did you see it at? I saw it at the Bridgeport IMAX and think the only thing that would have made the picture better was if it came with a hand-job! Easily the best 3D I have seen. No eye strain or blurryness.

Just went to the 2:05am showing because all other shows had sold out for the day. Got there at 1:30am thinking there wouldn't be much of a line, but was surprised to see 60-70 people already in line in front of me. By the time the movie started the theater was 3/4 full! The previews for the new "Shrek", "Toy Story", "Alice in Wonderland" and the Hubble documentary were all in 3D and looked great. The movie started and it was pure eye-candy. Never looked at my watch once, and was surprised when it was over it was 4:55am. Everyone clapped and cheered when it ended. Will be seeing it again soon with the wife.

On a funny note, during the preview for "Hubble 3D" the picture looked absolutely amazing. But as it was ending it said that it was narrated by Leo DiCaprio, which got a pretty good laugh out of everybody, but then someone yelled "Couldn't they get Morgan Freeman?", which got even more laughter.
Old 12-21-09, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts

Don't get me started on that "every creature on the planet has a USB port" nonsense.
Old 12-21-09, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Hank1215
What single-screen theater did you see it at? I saw it at the Bridgeport IMAX and think the only thing that would have made the picture better was if it came with a hand-job! Easily the best 3D I have seen. No eye strain or blurryness.

Just went to the 2:05am showing because all other shows had sold out for the day. Got there at 1:30am thinking there wouldn't be much of a line, but was surprised to see 60-70 people already in line in front of me. By the time the movie started the theater was 3/4 full! The previews for the new "Shrek", "Toy Story", "Alice in Wonderland" and the Hubble documentary were all in 3D and looked great. The movie started and it was pure eye-candy. Never looked at my watch once, and was surprised when it was over it was 4:55am. Everyone clapped and cheered when it ended. Will be seeing it again soon with the wife.

On a funny note, during the preview for "Hubble 3D" the picture looked absolutely amazing. But as it was ending it said that it was narrated by Leo DiCaprio, which got a pretty good laugh out of everybody, but then someone yelled "Couldn't they get Morgan Freeman?", which got even more laughter.
The Bridgeport liemax sucks. Saw TF2 their and other then the sound being great it was a complete rip off. I could see some of the pixels from my seat, and I was in the second row on the second have of the theater. My local DLP theater is much better and cheaper.
Old 12-21-09, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hank1215
What single-screen theater did you see it at?

I'd like to know as well.

Fandango shows The Roseway as the only non-chain around here showing it in 3D...was that it?

Last edited by Liver&Onions; 12-21-09 at 10:49 AM.
Old 12-21-09, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Blu Man
The Bridgeport liemax sucks. Saw TF2 their and other then the sound being great it was a complete rip off. I could see some of the pixels from my seat, and I was in the second row on the second have of the theater. My local DLP theater is much better and cheaper.
Which local DLP you go to have a screen as big as Bridgeport?
Old 12-21-09, 11:18 AM

Received 798 Likes on 521 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
Don't get me started on that "every creature on the planet has a USB port" nonsense.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.