Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

What's the deal with 'The Nightmare Before Christmas?'

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

What's the deal with 'The Nightmare Before Christmas?'

Old 10-31-19, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 708 Likes on 516 Posts
Re: What's the deal with 'The Nightmare Before Christmas?'

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
I watched it again the other night and I feel like if they have a whole year to plan that their Halloween celebration should be longer than one song.
Which always lead me to believe this is a Christmas movie more than a Halloween movie.
Old 10-31-19, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts

I I just got around to seeing this for the first time a handful of years ago. I thought it was brilliant.

I have no idea what time of year I'm supposed to watch it though.
Old 10-31-19, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo
Which always lead me to believe this is a Christmas movie more than a Halloween movie.
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I I just got around to seeing this for the first time a handful of years ago. I thought it was brilliant.

I have no idea what time of year I'm supposed to watch it though.
I always said it's both a Halloween and a Christmas movie.

I even have a sort of Nightmare Before Christmas themed Halloween-Christmas tree which I put up in October for Halloween decoration and leave up through Christmas.
Old 11-01-19, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 917 Likes on 640 Posts

Originally Posted by Koby
I always said it's both a Halloween and a Christmas movie.

I even have a sort of Nightmare Before Christmas themed Halloween-Christmas tree which I put up in October for Halloween decoration and leave up through Christmas.
Nice. A few years ago I painted Jack Skellington on a pumpkin. Added a santa hat after halloween and kept him out until Christmas.
Old 11-01-19, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,606 Likes on 1,005 Posts

My wife has carved her pumpkins for Halloween with a different Nightmare Before Christmas character for the last 6-7 years. It's been really fun. It's my 13-year-old daughter's favorite movie. I like it because I like the music and the character design is spectacular. I've seen it too many times now so I don't know if I will ever really watch it again but I get why it's so popular.
Old 11-01-19, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

We saw the movie if front of a live symphony last year for Halloween. That was easily the most enjoyable movie experiences our family has ever had. I've seen the movie well over 50 times at this point and it's still one of my favorite movies of all time.
Old 11-01-19, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 373 Likes on 272 Posts

One of my favorite movies, I nearly picked JackSkellington as my screen name but some young punk upstart beat me to the punch.

Danny Elfman came out and said its a Halloween movie about Xmas. so that is finally settled.
https://www.radio.com/music/movies/d...ristmas-debate

I recently made it to Disneyland ending a 10 year or so desire to see the Haunted Mansion done up for Nightmare Before Xmas and it was stunning and worth the wait as well as the trip. My wife and I must have went on it 4-5 times in 2 days at the park and I saw something new each ride. there are a few fandoms I fall under, the Dark Tower, Nightmare before Xmas and less now Star Wars since the last movie (that said the Millennium Falcon Smugglers Run was also epic and despite 40-45 min waits we went 3x on that as well... )
Old 11-02-19, 02:20 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

The special thing about this film for me is the Oingo Boingo/Danny Elfman crossover. This film is like the crossroads and the zenith of an amazingly talented musician. Oingo Boingo started way back in the 70’s, but the Danny Elfman 1980’s era saw them reach national fame. Still, it’s important to realize their local fame here in Southern California was far greater than their national fame. They were HUGE here. Their Halloween concerts were legendary.

1985 is this defining year where they release Dead Mans Party and Elfman scores Pee Wee’s Big Adventure for Tim Burton. After that a overlapping period begins where Elfman and the band are touring and recording and he is doing film scores. And through it all the band is closely associated with fun songs about dark subjects.

It all finally culminates with this perfect project. A film musical, with score and lyrics by Danny Elfman. At this point he was a Pumpkin King. He was the Prince of Halloween in SoCal. The Oingo Boingo Halloween shows were what hip adults did on Halloween. The Dead Man’s Party album was what you played at your Halloween party.

On top of that the clock was ticking for Oingo Boingo. Elfman was tired of the band, tired of Halloween (just like Jack), and ready to do something different. They changed a bit and became simply Boingo before having a farewell concert in 1995 that would see Elfman move on to just scoring films.

Last edited by Mabuse; 11-02-19 at 02:32 PM.
Old 11-02-19, 05:02 PM
Suspended

Location: Indianapolis, IN. Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends. We're so glad you could attend. Come inside! Come inside!
Received 551 Likes on 380 Posts

My wife is a quilter and in celebration of my birthday in October is making a quilt for me for one of my favorite movies:

Old 11-02-19, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 526 Likes on 329 Posts

That is awesome. I have loved the film since it first opened at the theater.
Old 11-02-19, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

My only complaint with TNBC is that the soundtrack has a nice opening monologue by Patrick Stewart that’s not in the actual movie. I’m not sure what the deal is with that.
Old 11-02-19, 05:57 PM
Suspended

Location: Indianapolis, IN. Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends. We're so glad you could attend. Come inside! Come inside!

It is surprising how much I enjoy this film considering I have never been a really big fan of musicals
Old 11-02-19, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by mspmms
My wife is a quilter and in celebration of my birthday in October is making a quilt for me for one of my favorite movies:
Spoiler:

That's amazing. I'm sure many of us would be willing to pay good money for that!

I've actually been meaning to find someone to sow me some TNBC curtains for the windows in my camper.

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo
My only complaint with TNBC is that the soundtrack has a nice opening monologue by Patrick Stewart that’s not in the actual movie. I’m not sure what the deal is with that.
o.O Never heard of that. Is that actually released anywhere I could find it?
Old 11-02-19, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 645 Likes on 445 Posts

o.O Never heard of that. Is that actually released anywhere I could find it?
I mean, like Tom Banjo said, it's on the soundtrack release. Track 2. You can get the CD, buy it digitally, or listen to it on most music streaming services...

It's also up on Youtube.

Edit: Also closing narration:

Edit 2: this article has some speculation about these narrations. The closing narration reveals the narrator to be Santa, so it's possible Patrick Stewart was originally tapped to be Santa, but there were maybe rewrites that necessitated re-recording Santa's lines, and Stewart wasn't available, so Edward Ivory was brought in.
https://www.themarysue.com/patrick-s...ore-christmas/

The article makes mention that Patrick Stewart had also read the original poem, although it incorrectly states that it was on a DVD release (Christopher Lee reads the poem on the Blu-ray release). The links in the article no longer work, but I found it elsewhere on Youtube.

Patrick Stewart reading poem, parts 1-3:

Last edited by Jay G.; 11-02-19 at 11:27 PM.
Old 11-03-19, 09:00 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by stvn1974
That is awesome. I have loved the film since it first opened at the theater.
That's amazing.
To give you an idea what Jack and Lisa will look like, she has based the quilt's design from the the image on the poster below.

Last edited by mspmms; 11-03-19 at 09:33 AM.
Old 11-04-19, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

that is a faboulous quilt! And thanks for Sharing the Patrick Stewert reading of the book! I love Sir Patrick and have been listening to him on the soundtrack for years. Aside for Purple Rain it may be my favorite sound track to listen to.
Old 11-04-19, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
We saw the movie if front of a live symphony last year for Halloween. That was easily the most enjoyable movie experiences our family has ever had. I've seen the movie well over 50 times at this point and it's still one of my favorite movies of all time.
Did you happen to catch the PBS Live From Lincoln Center from Halloween about 4 years ago? It was Danny Elfman's Music from the films of Tim Burton. It was a full orchestra plus film clips and Danny Elfman singing for the second half. It was great. The whole thing used to be viewable online, but I can only find clips of it now.

Last edited by Quatermass; 11-04-19 at 03:50 PM.
Old 11-04-19, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 708 Likes on 516 Posts

Is Lisa the original name for Sally?
Old 11-05-19, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Quatermass
Did you happen to catch the PBS Live From Lincoln Center from Halloween about 4 years ago? It was Danny Elfman's Music from the films of Tim Burton. It was a full orchestra plus film clips and Danny Elfman singing for the second half. It was great. The whole thing used to be viewable online, but I can only find clips of it now.
No, unfortunately I missed that. I was pretty jealous of one of my friends that went to that Hollywood Bowl event though. Danny Elfman performed and I think many of the main voices from the movie were there to perform live as well. That would have been awesome to see.
Old 11-06-19, 03:20 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by devilshalo
Is Lisa the original name for Sally?
Don't know why I posted the name Lisa in my earlier post, here is a newer shot with the both of them:

Old 11-07-19, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by mspmms
Don't know why I posted the name Lisa in my earlier post,
Probably because of the redhead Lisa I dated ages ago... You never forget your first redhead and yes she was a crazy ginger.
Old 02-13-20, 08:48 PM
Suspended

A follow-up about the TNBC quilt, this is what it was looking like earlier this week, she was hoping to have it completed as an anniversary present to me on February the 14th.
Currently finishing the surface of the quilt to ready it for binding around its edges.

The following 2 users liked this post by mspmms:
Jay G. (02-13-20), story (02-14-20)
Old 03-03-20, 04:49 PM
Suspended

Finally got it hung above our piano today.

The following users liked this post:
Jay G. (03-03-20)