Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

PT Anderson's next film is MASTER

Old 12-04-09, 06:05 PM
  #1  
DVD Talk Special Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 1,923
PT Anderson's next film is MASTER

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=61354

Wow, Philip Seymour Hoffman in the lead role, the plot description sounds like it can compare to the power of THERE WILL BE BLOOD, how it will deal with these universal themes but be character-based at the same time.. Looks like it is an original script, not an adaptation

Last edited by CloverClover; 12-04-09 at 06:07 PM.
CloverClover is offline  
Old 12-04-09, 06:59 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,921
Re: PT Anderson's next film is MASTER

This is great news.

PTA and PSH together again.

Hopefully, we'll get to see this some time in 2011.
Throwing Copper is offline  
Old 12-04-09, 08:24 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
mdc3000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Guelph, Ontario
Posts: 9,921
Re: PT Anderson's next film is MASTER

PTA is one of my all time favourite directors and has yet to let me down. I'll be there opening day, waiting to be impressed.
mdc3000 is offline  
Old 12-04-09, 10:42 PM
  #4  
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Formerly known as "Solid Snake PAC"/Denton, Tx
Posts: 39,239
Re: PT Anderson's next film is MASTER

nice...
Solid Snake is offline  
Old 12-04-09, 11:42 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Berkeley, CA
Posts: 1,981
Re: PT Anderson's next film is MASTER

There Will Be Blood was such a wholly idiosyncratic film, let's hope PTA doesn't try and ride the hype train off that film into a similar but lesser incarnation of it here, which from that description it sounds like it could be. But I have faith in him, he's an excellent director.
hardercore is offline  
Old 12-05-09, 12:28 AM
  #6  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,889
Re: PT Anderson's next film is MASTER

P.T. Anderson is an immediate ticket placeholder for me. And getting back with Philip Seymour Hoffman? Can't come sooner.
Zen Peckinpah is offline  
Old 12-05-09, 12:48 AM
  #7  
DVD Talk Hero
 
PopcornTreeCt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 25,916
Re: PT Anderson's next film is MASTER

Sounds good. I find it odd that he's going back with religion as a topic. I would've thought he said everything he had to say about it.
PopcornTreeCt is offline  
Old 12-05-09, 12:57 AM
  #8  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Auburn University
Posts: 2,424
Re: PT Anderson's next film is MASTER

I guess you don't know Paul as well as you thought you did...


PTA is far and away my favorite director, so anything he does, including his small role in that Adam Sandler crapfest, has my interest.
AnonomusBob15 is offline  
Old 12-05-09, 01:09 AM
  #9  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Rypro 525's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: a frikin hellhole
Posts: 28,263
Re: PT Anderson's next film is MASTER

Originally Posted by AnonomusBob15 View Post
I guess you don't know Paul as well as you thought you did...


PTA is far and away my favorite director, so anything he does, including his small role in that Adam Sandler crapfest, has my interest.
You are talking about PDL right?
Rypro 525 is offline  
Old 12-05-09, 01:59 AM
  #10  
DVD Talk Special Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 1,923
Re: PT Anderson's next film is MASTER

Originally Posted by hardercore View Post
There Will Be Blood was such a wholly idiosyncratic film, let's hope PTA doesn't try and ride the hype train off that film into a similar but lesser incarnation of it here, which from that description it sounds like it could be. But I have faith in him, he's an excellent director.
I agree, the synopsis feels there will be blood-esque, with the sly/manipulative leading man, period backdrop, themes of faith, power and greed, and sidekick character who turns against him. It sounds like it almost could be a companion piece.. maybe he is doing an "unofficial trilogy"
CloverClover is offline  
Old 12-05-09, 04:15 AM
  #11  
Banned by request
 
Supermallet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Termite Terrace
Posts: 54,156
Re: PT Anderson's next film is MASTER

I don't always love PTA, but There Will Be Blood was an astonishing achievement and proof that he can and has grown as an artist. I look forward to what he does next, but hope that he will keep the running time down to the absolute minimum necessary to tell the story, as he did with Punch Drunk Love and There Will Be Blood.
Supermallet is offline  
Old 12-05-09, 05:36 AM
  #12  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: So Cal
Posts: 7,072
Re: PT Anderson's next film is MASTER

I'm really glad Philip Seymour Hoffman didn't turn into a "comedian" like John C. Reilly.
Superboy is offline  
Old 12-05-09, 05:39 AM
  #13  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: So Cal
Posts: 7,072
Re: PT Anderson's next film is MASTER

I love how he's keeping up the "historical biopic" theme of his movies.
Superboy is offline  
Old 12-05-09, 08:49 AM
  #14  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Posts: 12,091
Re: PT Anderson's next film is MASTER

I watch movies at the theatre once every 2 years on average.
The last film I saw in a theatre was There Will Be Blood. I will see this as well.

It's not that PTA's films need to be seen in theatres... it's that I have no patience to wait for the DVD/BD release to watch them.

I can't wait.
Coral is online now  
Old 12-05-09, 09:41 AM
  #15  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Rypro 525's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: a frikin hellhole
Posts: 28,263
Re: PT Anderson's next film is MASTER

Originally Posted by Suprmallet View Post
I don't always love PTA, but There Will Be Blood was an astonishing achievement and proof that he can and has grown as an artist. I look forward to what he does next, but hope that he will keep the running time down to the absolute minimum necessary to tell the story, as he did with Punch Drunk Love and There Will Be Blood.
I wouldn't say that There Will Be Blood is really a "short" movie at 157 min, granted Magnolia is 188 min. And i do have TWBB as my movie of the decade, and i actually think that the movie flys and doesn't feel long at all
Rypro 525 is offline  
Old 12-05-09, 01:40 PM
  #16  
DVD Talk Legend
 
islandclaws's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Behind the Orange Curtain
Posts: 20,032
Re: PT Anderson's next film is MASTER

I stopped reading after "PT Anderson's next movie..." and set my money aside since it's as good as spent.
islandclaws is offline  
Old 12-05-09, 03:38 PM
  #17  
Banned by request
 
Supermallet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Termite Terrace
Posts: 54,156
Re: PT Anderson's next film is MASTER

Originally Posted by Rypro 525 View Post
I wouldn't say that There Will Be Blood is really a "short" movie at 157 min, granted Magnolia is 188 min. And i do have TWBB as my movie of the decade, and i actually think that the movie flys and doesn't feel long at all
I didn't say "short." I said "minimum necessary to tell the story," which is what he did with There Will Be Blood.
Supermallet is offline  
Old 12-05-09, 04:00 PM
  #18  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Dr Mabuse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: 75 clicks above the Do Lung bridge...
Posts: 18,950
Re: PT Anderson's next film is MASTER

I'll see it of course.

If he starts getting 'preachy' about religion in his films, which he will be doing twice in a row now, that will get old fast.

That's usually the point where a person's ego, set loose by their success, has overtaken their character and they think every thought or opinion they have is genius and must be shared with the world.

Maybe it's simply a fantastic story that just coincidentally has to do with religion though... I hope it's the latter.
Dr Mabuse is offline  
Old 12-05-09, 04:04 PM
  #19  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
JohnSlider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Detroit, Michigan PSN: JohnSlider
Posts: 3,507
Re: PT Anderson's next film is MASTER

Seeing as how he made the best film of the past decade, I can't wait to see this.
JohnSlider is offline  
Old 12-05-09, 04:29 PM
  #20  
Banned by request
 
Supermallet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Termite Terrace
Posts: 54,156
Re: PT Anderson's next film is MASTER

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse View Post
I'll see it of course.

If he starts getting 'preachy' about religion in his films, which he will be doing twice in a row now, that will get old fast.

That's usually the point where a person's ego, set loose by their success, has overtaken their character and they think every thought or opinion they have is genius and must be shared with the world.

Maybe it's simply a fantastic story that just coincidentally has to do with religion though... I hope it's the latter.
Twice in a row? How was Punch Drunk Love about religion? Are you perhaps referring to Magnolia?
Supermallet is offline  
Old 12-05-09, 05:28 PM
  #21  
DVD Talk Hero
 
PopcornTreeCt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 25,916
Re: PT Anderson's next film is MASTER

Originally Posted by Suprmallet View Post
Twice in a row? How was Punch Drunk Love about religion? Are you perhaps referring to Magnolia?
Pretty sure he's talking about this upcoming movie, Master.
PopcornTreeCt is offline  
Old 12-05-09, 05:42 PM
  #22  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Daydream Nation
Posts: 887
Re: PT Anderson's next film is MASTER

Great news! PTA has been impressive so far.
mikelowry is offline  
Old 12-05-09, 06:51 PM
  #23  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Dr Mabuse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: 75 clicks above the Do Lung bridge...
Posts: 18,950
Re: PT Anderson's next film is MASTER

Originally Posted by Suprmallet View Post
Twice in a row? How was Punch Drunk Love about religion? Are you perhaps referring to Magnolia?
Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt View Post
Pretty sure he's talking about this upcoming movie, Master.
Yep.
Dr Mabuse is offline  
Old 12-05-09, 07:26 PM
  #24  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Posts: 4,551
Re: PT Anderson's next film is MASTER

I consider TWBB a masterpiece, and hardly preachy about religion. I see no issue him tackling the subject again either...as long as he does so intelligently and with thought, and based on his last film and the ones before...I see no reason to suspect otherwise.
jaeufraser is offline  
Old 12-05-09, 07:34 PM
  #25  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Dr Mabuse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: 75 clicks above the Do Lung bridge...
Posts: 18,950
Re: PT Anderson's next film is MASTER

TWBB is a masterpiece.
Dr Mabuse is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.