Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

PT Anderson's next film is MASTER

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

PT Anderson's next film is MASTER

Old 01-21-13, 03:24 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts
Re: PT Anderson's next film is MASTER

Originally Posted by IIG
Joaquin Phoenix handily outclassed every actor in a movie in 2012.
I agree with this.
Old 01-21-13, 03:37 AM

The Master will come out on video (as I still call it) on Feb. 26. Amazon says there are no special features, which really sucks.

I would kill for a PTA commentary track for this particular movie, but I guess he's never doing that again. A documentary on the making of the film would've been great too.

Old 01-21-13, 03:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 230 Likes on 164 Posts

Could anyone answer my questions please?

Spoiler:

* When Dodds is being pleasured by his wife in the bathroom, is she accusing him of cheating and telling him that since she's pregnant she can at least do this but he better not cheat on her?
* Who is the woman making advances and putting her hands on Freddie, was that Elizabeth?
* Why does Elizabeth get excommunicated?
* How did Dodd come in a dream and tell him where he actually was? Alluding to a shared unconscious?
* Anyone else thought X-men when they introduced the school and Dodd's office?

One of my top movies of all time, along with The Matrix 1, Office Space, Under The Tuscan Sun, Rocky IV, and The Forbidden Kingdom.
Old 01-21-13, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,032 Likes on 4,117 Posts

Originally Posted by Throwing Copper
He'll be in the lead category, and I think he'll take home the trophy. Hoffman and Adams will both get supporting nods.
Correct!
Originally Posted by dino88
DDL won Best Actor for Lincoln the day he was cast.
More correct!
Originally Posted by Chadm
Not gonna happen.
Wrong!
Old 01-21-13, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 215 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Throwing Copper
The Master will come out on video (as I still call it) on Feb. 26. Amazon says there are no special features, which really sucks.
There are special features, though not a ton specific to the film. Check the HD thread.
Old 02-19-13, 11:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Watched this last night. God performances all around but this film just left me thinking WTF. Still can't figure out how or why it ended.

Started a bit slow for me, then picked up quite a bit but then I just lost interest.
Old 02-19-13, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I really, really, really, really lost patience with this movie about halfway through. I think I saw it projected digitally at my local multiplex, it was there for about a week. I can't imagine it was a real film print. I think I'll revisit it when the DVD release comes out to reassess it, I got the distinct impression I didn't "get" it.
Old 03-04-13, 08:10 AM

anybody had a chance to check this out on Blu Ray?

did anyone change their opinion of it after a second viewing?
Old 03-04-13, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just want to know how you can survive after drinking rocket fuel.
Old 03-04-13, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

Originally Posted by SoSpacey
Started a bit slow for me, then picked up quite a bit but then I just lost interest.
Sounds like sex, I'll give it a shot.
Old 03-05-13, 12:22 AM

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts

I thought it was pretentious crap and I have really liked all of his other movies. It felt very one note to me to be honest. Also in terms of performances, I think DDL deserved it and the Oscars got it right. DDLs perfromance was a transcendent performance in a pretty average movie. Phoenixs performance was a terrific performance in a crap film.
Old 03-05-13, 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by Buttmunker
I just want to know how you can survive after drinking rocket fuel.
My dad used to tell me about how soldiers used to drink Sterno fluid in the war. They would filter and distill it as much as they could.

But rocket fuel? I think not. It is not even alcohol based generally.
Old 03-06-13, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by johnnysd
I thought it was pretentious crap and I have really liked all of his other movies. It felt very one note to me to be honest. Also in terms of performances, I think DDL deserved it and the Oscars got it right. DDLs perfromance was a transcendent performance in a pretty average movie. Phoenixs performance was a terrific performance in a crap film.
If you like his other movies, I thought it was pretty similar in many ways to There Will Be Blood. Not sure how it was any more pretentious.

Pretentious is a funny word.
Old 03-06-13, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by CRM114
If you like his other movies, I thought it was pretty similar in many ways to There Will Be Blood. Not sure how it was any more pretentious.

Pretentious is a funny word.
I noticed tonal, visual and aural similarities to TWBB which is a vastly superior film. There are several arcs in TWBB, whereas the Master sort of meandered from scene to scene without any real purpose.

Pretentious- Attempting to impress by affecting greater importance, talent, culture, etc., than is actually possessed.

I stand by pretentious as all the movie seemed to try and do was impress us with how brilliant PTA thinks he is, how original and daring and shocking (like the scenes with Amy Adams playing against type) each scene is when at the end of the day the scenes were no were near as good as I think PTA thinks they were and in the end they add up to very very little.
Old 03-13-13, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

I finally watched this film on blu-ray after missing out in theaters. What an achievment in acting and directing on all accounts. I can see why the story/ending could be a bit pretentious for some, but I found the the film thought provoking and if a movie does that imo, then it deserves my praise.
Old 04-18-13, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Finally saw this.

Two powerhouse performances. How DDL won the Oscar over Joaquin Phoenix cannot be explained. He and PSH had such gravitas on screen.

The story, meh. I probably give the movie a 3/5 just because of the interview and jail scenes. The movie as a whole, I don't think I liked. The performances, however, were amazing.
Old 04-18-13, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 230 Likes on 164 Posts

The jail scene was riveting.
Old 04-19-13, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Tarantino
Finally saw this.

Two powerhouse performances. How DDL won the Oscar over Joaquin Phoenix cannot be explained. He and PSH had such gravitas on screen.
Phoenix was up against of the most respected actors playing one of the most revered historical figures, and had himself pulled a stupid publicity stunt that kept him out of (real) movies for 4 years. Plus, the movie didn't get a lot of awards attention besides the acting.

Yeah, I can see why he lost. Although he was amazing in it.
Old 04-20-13, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Drexl
Phoenix was up against of the most respected actors playing one of the most revered historical figures, and had himself pulled a stupid publicity stunt that kept him out of (real) movies for 4 years. Plus, the movie didn't get a lot of awards attention besides the acting.

Looks like it was explained pretty easily.
Old 04-22-13, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Drexl

At least he was rewarded by getting a nomination! Most times, a nomination is better than the award itself! Look at Al Pacino - all these years, he's getting nomination after nomination, and finally, when he wins one, he never gets another nomination.
Old 05-13-13, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Coral
I would compare The Master to an Antonioni film... not necessarily in content, just in how there's more to it than what lies on the surface and how it's polarizing in opinions which can change after re-repeated viewings.
I agree with this 100%

Originally Posted by GatorDeb
Could anyone answer my questions please?

Spoiler:

* When Dodds is being pleasured by his wife in the bathroom, is she accusing him of cheating and telling him that since she's pregnant she can at least do this but he better not cheat on her?
* Who is the woman making advances and putting her hands on Freddie, was that Elizabeth?
* Why does Elizabeth get excommunicated?
* How did Dodd come in a dream and tell him where he actually was? Alluding to a shared unconscious?
* Anyone else thought X-men when they introduced the school and Dodd's office?

One of my top movies of all time, along with The Matrix 1, Office Space, Under The Tuscan Sun, Rocky IV, and The Forbidden Kingdom.
Spoiler:

* When Dodds is being pleasured by his wife in the bathroom, is she accusing him of cheating and telling him that since she's pregnant she can at least do this but he better not cheat on her? She suspects that he is in love with Freddy
* Who is the woman making advances and putting her hands on Freddie, was that Elizabeth? Yes
* Why does Elizabeth get excommunicated? Don't remember this happening
* How did Dodd come in a dream and tell him where he actually was? Alluding to a shared unconscious? Maybe
* Anyone else thought X-men when they introduced the school and Dodd's office? Have not seen X-Men
Old 05-13-13, 11:52 AM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Buttmunker
At least he was rewarded by getting a nomination! Most times, a nomination is better than the award itself! Look at Al Pacino - all these years, he's getting nomination after nomination, and finally, when he wins one, he never gets another nomination.
I can't believe he didn't get one for 88 Minutes or Righteous Kill. What a travesty.
Old 07-20-14, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 362 Likes on 262 Posts

If anyone wants to catch this, it's on Netflix now.
Old 12-31-15, 12:34 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Just re-watched The Master on Blu. Wow - amazing film, and beautiful print. This is one of the better Blu's I've seen - incredible PQ, color, etc.

The film is extremely disturbing & insightful in capturing how cults form & how they can really brainwash their followers. The Quell character (JP) was so taken in by Lancaster Dodd (PSH), that he was willing to fight others on Dodd's behalf - despite not even believing what Dodd was preaching to any great extent. It's obvious that these cults prey on people who are drifters/rootless & looking for a sense of belonging. Quite scary, actually. Though this film is set in the 1950's, you can easily see these types of things happening today - to a much greater & far more dangerous extent.

My favorite scene in the movie is towards the end,
Spoiler:
after Dodd rejects Quell in England; Quell is walking away alone down that road filled with fallen leaves. Very powerful scene, since it shows that Quell has finally broken free from Dodd's influence - even though Dodd actually was the one to turn him away.
Old 08-02-17, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Watched it for the third time yesterday, still amazing.

4.5/5

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.