Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Buried (2010, Rodrigo Cortés)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Buried (2010, Rodrigo Cortés)

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-10, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Buried (2010, Rodrigo Cortés)

I saw this tonight, definitely way better than you would expect a movie taking place almost entirely in a coffin to be. I really liked the ending and definitely wasn't what I expected. I am not really easy to freak out but by the end even I was starting to get claustrophobic and freaked out.
Old 10-11-10, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I enjoyed it throughout. It grabs a hold of you and never lets go til the end.
Old 10-13-10, 08:17 AM

So much for "In Theatres Everywhere October 8th" .... I looked it up several times, the closest theatre it's showing near me is New York, which is 2 hours away.
Old 10-13-10, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by ConVerse
So much for "In Theatres Everywhere October 8th" .... I looked it up several times, the closest theatre it's showing near me is New York, which is 2 hours away.
Yeah, another casualty of platform releases that didn't perform to expectactions so the studio cancels their promise. It happened with Flipped a couple of months ago and it's happening again with this movie.

Here's a message to the studios: Don't promise something you can follow through with. It's annoying, and it makes you look bad in the process.

The real worse part of both this movie and Flipped is that both were terrific movies that deserved audiences.
Old 10-14-10, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by ConVerse
Yeah, WHAT happened with this film!? I saw trailers for it for about a month. Before high and low profile films. And I just noticed it opened in one theater in the D.C. area last week. And this week it has only one daily showtime at that theater. Just like someone else mentioned, this and "Flipped" have to be two of the most buzzed about films that didn't get a wide release. So odd.
Old 10-14-10, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Daytripper
Yeah, WHAT happened with this film!? I saw trailers for it for about a month. Before high and low profile films. And I just noticed it opened in one theater in the D.C. area last week. And this week it has only one daily showtime at that theater. Just like someone else mentioned, this and "Flipped" have to be two of the most buzzed about films that didn't get a wide release. So odd.
The screen count expanded from 11 to 92 in the matter of two weeks.

Lionsgate is rolling it out in more theaters this upcoming weekend, but based upon disappointing PSAs, I'm expecting this won't play in more than 150-200 locations tops at this point. Lionsgate should've just put this in anywhere from 700-1500 theaters from the get-go (giving it more of a significant and wider release) than just trying a platform release, having it backfire, and just dropping all initiative for the film.
Old 12-31-10, 06:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by glassdragon
I saw this tonight, definitely way better than you would expect a movie taking place almost entirely in a coffin to be. I really liked the ending and definitely wasn't what I expected. I am not really easy to freak out but by the end even I was starting to get claustrophobic and freaked out.
^
This

Easily made it's way into my favorite films of this year.
Old 12-31-10, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

The wife and I caught this the other night. I'm not particularly claustrophobic, but this movie definitely sparked something in me, as I was tense throughout. Good stuff.
Old 12-31-10, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

ya just finished watching it

what a nerve racking movie

definitely one of the best of 2010
Old 01-01-11, 03:00 AM

Saw this tonight. Very well done and plausible for what you'd expect to happen in that situation.
Old 01-09-11, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 482 Likes on 318 Posts

Loved the movie, found it very engaging and suspenseful, but I feel like they fumbled the whole thing in the last couple of minutes:

Spoiler:
I wished they would have cut the little fantasy scene of him being rescued. Immediately after that he gets the phone call from the hostage organization saying they are on their way to rescue him. I knew that visually it wouldn't make sense to have two "coffin being opened" scenes back to back, therefore the calvary will arrive at a different buried hostage then RR. The ending could have been a real gut punch, but instead was spoiled for the sake of the earlier cheap reaction.

Very good movie, but the above prevented it from leaping into the excellent catagory.
Old 01-12-11, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Damn...this movie was intense. The last 20 minutes, in particular.
Old 01-28-11, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just watched this tonight and damn was it good. Super tense throughout and I totally dug the ending. Definitely one of the best movies I've seen from last year.
Old 01-29-11, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i'm surprised at the good buzz here. I figured it be a crap movie. Premise seems similar to 127 Hours
Old 01-29-11, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Got it from Netflix this week and.....wow! What a terrific thriller. I cannot believe how badly the studio fucked up it's theatrical release. Shame on you. Someone needs to be fired for dropping the ball.
Old 02-13-11, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Daytripper
Someone needs to be fired for dropping the ball.
or buried.
Old 02-13-11, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I got this from Netflix and also echo the positive comments. Very intense movie and a great ending. The movie is 90 minutes but stays consistently entertaining throughout. Tough to do given the premise. The BD was cheap to begin with at a list price of $29.99, and I can see this title dropping below $15 sooner than later. I may pick it up.
Old 03-12-11, 04:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Finally saw this and enjoyed it, especially the ending, but I did have some issues with it. I found it to be one of those movies where I continuously wanted to yell at the character to stop doing stupid stuff. His overuse of the lighter and cellphone was particularly annoying.

Spoiler:
Seriously, you're going to try to start a fire in a tiny enclosed space when you're almost out of oxygen already? And when your employer starts recording your conversation and asking you useless questions when you're buried alive and only have one bar of cellphone power remaining, HANG UP. By the end, I was so frustrated with him that I was indeed rooting for the coffin, and I'm not sure that was the intention.
Old 05-14-11, 12:35 AM
bcd

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

Just got done watching this, I had been meaning to check it out for some time and I was impressed. Wasn't sure how well it would work, but I found it engaging throughout, and I thought Reynolds was great.
I especially liked the few comedic lines that were thrown in there, that were done in the sarcastic Reynolds style. It helped to ease some of the tension. Definitely worthwhile viewing!