Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

2009 Year in Film | 82nd Oscars Discussion Thread -- 03.07.2010

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

2009 Year in Film | 82nd Oscars Discussion Thread -- 03.07.2010

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-10, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: 2009 Year in Film | 82nd Oscars Discussion Thread -- 03.07.2010

Yeah, I'm pulling for Bridges big time.

Cristolph Waltz is one of the only awards I'm totally sure about. I called his win as I was watching his performance and mentioned it in my thoughts of the movie on here when I got home. It he doesn't win, that would be the upset of the year to me.
Old 03-04-10, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I can't believe some people are seriously entertaining the thought that Avatar will win Best Picture.
Old 03-04-10, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Has any presenter accidently said the wrong nomination as the winner? Wonder how it would go down. Only a few people would know it was wrong instantly. It would eventually be corrected but at least for a few minutes, the wrong people would go up to accept the award.
Old 03-04-10, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts

Originally Posted by resinrats
Has any presenter accidently said the wrong nomination as the winner? Wonder how it would go down. Only a few people would know it was wrong instantly. It would eventually be corrected but at least for a few minutes, the wrong people would go up to accept the award.
They wouldn't say if it did actually happen.
Some think this is how Marisa Tomei won for "Vinnie"
Old 03-04-10, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by resinrats
The producers have someone standing in the wings that would immediately come out and correct the presenter.
Old 03-04-10, 10:07 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Brent L
Yeah, I'm pulling for Bridges big time.

Cristolph Waltz is one of the only awards I'm totally sure about. I called his win as I was watching his performance and mentioned it in my thoughts of the movie on here when I got home. It he doesn't win, that would be the upset of the year to me.
Yeah, when I saw IB I thought the same thing...I was just overwhelmed by his performance and especially the character that was created. A very very well written character.
Old 03-04-10, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

There only seems like one actor category where the academy can still surprise anyone. Actress.

The others seems like a total lock.

I'm not sure why Bullock is being compared to Roberts. Even if you don't like Julia, she delivered the goods in many movies. The best thing Bullock ever did was While You Were Sleeping.

Now she's going to be an academy award winner for one decent performance in probably the only movies that you could argue doesn't deserve to be in the top 10?

I hope the academy gives it to Meryl for having to wait so damned long for another award or Carey Mulligan, because there's usually one surprise.
Old 03-05-10, 04:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dolphinboy
There only seems like one actor category where the academy can still surprise anyone. Actress.

The others seems like a total lock.
Disagree. I think Cinematography, Original Screenplay, and even Best picture are also very much still in play. Had Hurt Locker not had emailgate then it would've been more secure. But you know the media: The LA Times blew that thing way out of proportion and the intense saturation in Hollywood may have made a difference to the voting.

Though I'm still convinced if its not The Hurt Locker, it'll be Basterds over Avatar.
Old 03-05-10, 06:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dolphinboy
Originally Posted by hardercore
Disagree. I think Cinematography, Original Screenplay, and even Best picture are also very much still in play.
You aren't disagreeing at all.
Old 03-05-10, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The toughest categories are Cinematography and Original Screenplay. Those are also the 2 categories where there's a big split between all the bloggers and critic picks.

Boal's wins for the WGA and BAFTA put him as the slight favorite, but you have to keep in mind that Tarantino isn't part of the WGA. If he were, that pick would have been much easier to make. I went with Basterds. If they love the film as much as I think they do, they're not just going to give it 1 award. They can reward Hurt Locker in many other key categories.

Cinematography is the toughest since any of them, aside from Potter, could win. I think we'll have a repeat of last year where the majority of voters are going to select their favorite movie (Hurt Locker). Going in, I think most were saying Benjamin Button or The Dark Knight were likely the favorites last year.

I had Avatar as my choice for weeks until the BAFTA gave Hurt Locker Cinematography, so I switched. I don't think enough voters will have seen The White Ribbon to pick it.
Old 03-05-10, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I think this entire email controversy was staged by The Hurt Locker people. They're just covering their asses in case their heavily favorited film loses. That way they'll have an excuse.
Old 03-05-10, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

did we have a oscar prediction thread? I couldn't find it when I searched.
Old 03-05-10, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

At least this show will be more exciting than last year. Slumdog winning 8 made the show a complete snoozefest. This year, we could actually see a few different scenarios play out. I've said this a few times, but I believe whoever wins Editing will go on to win Best Picture this year. We'll know how the night is going when they start giving out some of the bigger technical awards. If the same film wins Cinematography and Editing, I think that's a hint of a big night for that film. If Hurt Locker takes both of those, and also wins Original Screenplay, then I don't see it losing Picture.

If Avatar takes both Cinematography and Editing, I think it's safe for Picture, but I still think Hurt Locker is a lock for Directing.

History is completely against Avatar, but it is a $2.5 billion phenomenon. If the Academy decides to truly spread the wealth, I could see a Picture/Director split. Sometimes they do go for the big epic.
Old 03-05-10, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by sauce07
did we have a oscar prediction thread? I couldn't find it when I searched.
It was started, but only a few of us participated. Oscar prediction thread
Old 03-06-10, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dino88
I think this entire email controversy was staged by The Hurt Locker people. They're just covering their asses in case their heavily favorited film loses. That way they'll have an excuse.
I find this ridiculous. Nobody in their right mind instigates a smear campaign against their own film just to save face if they lose Best Picture. This is an indie film that made $16m at the box office that has somehow swept the critics, earned 9 Oscar nominations and positioned itself in the frontrunner's position for a win. That's a success in itself, there's no asses that need to be covered.
Old 03-06-10, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I find the entire story ridiculous. I find it ridiculous that people think this email will have an effect on the voting.
Old 03-06-10, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

After the Indie Spirit Awards last night, which Precious swept (Picture, Director, Screenplay, both Actresses), here's the final standings from the Precursors and my personal predictions for winners (highlighted in Red):

Picture
1. The Hurt Locker PGA, DGA, ADG, ACE, WGA, CAS, BSFC, LAFCA, NYFCC, CFCA, NSFC, BFCA, BAFTA, SAG*, ASC*, MPSE*, AFI**, GIFA, AWFJ, SFFCC, AFCA, LVFCS, HFCA, OFCC, OFCS, UFCA***, NBR*, GG*, SLGFC***
2. Avatar ADG, MPSE, VES, GG, PGA*, DGA*, WGA*, ASC*, ACE*, CAS*, CDG*, IFMCA*, NYFCO, BFCA*, BAFTA*
3. Up in the Air WGA, NBR, PGA*, DGA*, ADG*, ACE*, CDG*, LAFCA***, AFI**, WAFCA, INFC, SEFCA, DFWFCA, UFCA, FFCC, SLGFC, KCFC, COFC, VFCC, IFCA, NTFCA, BFCA*, GG*, CFCA*, BAFTA*
4. Inglourious Basterds SAG, MPSE, PGA*, DGA*, ADG*, ASC*, SDFCS, TFCA, PFCS, UFCA***, NBR*, BFCA*, GG*, CFCA*
5. Up IFMCA, PGA*, AFI**, DFCS, NBR*, BFCA*, COFC***
6. Precious SAG*, PGA*, DGA*, WGA*, CDG*, AFI**, ISA, BFCA*, GG*, BAFTA*
7. A Serious Man ADG*, WGA*, ACE*, AFI**, NBR*, BFCA*, CFCA*
8. District 9 PGA*, ADG*, ACE*, VES*, CAS*
9. An Education SAG*, PGA*, NBR*, BFCA*, BAFTA*
10. The Blind Side
________________________________________________________________________________

Director
1. Kathryn Bigelow, ‘The Hurt Locker’ DGA, BSFC, LAFCA, NYFCC, CFCA, NSFC, BFCA, BAFTA, WAFCA, NYFCO, AWFJ, SEFCA, SFFCC, AFCA, TFCA, LVFCS, HFCA, SLGFC, OFCC, KCFC, OFCS, VFCC, IFCA, NTFCA, LFCC, GG*
2. Jason Reitman, ‘Up in the Air’ DGA*, DFWFCA, UFCA, FFCC, COFC, BFCA*, GG*, CFCA*, BAFTA*, SLGFC***
3. Quentin Tarantino, ‘Inglourious Basterds’ DGA*, SDFCS, PFCS, BFCA*, GG*, CFCA*, BAFTA*, SLGFC***, COFC***
4. James Cameron, ‘Avatar’ GG, DGA*, BFCA*, BAFTA*
5. Lee Daniels, ‘Precious’ DGA*, ISA, BFCA*

Actor
1. Jeff Bridges, ‘Crazy Heart’ SAG, LAFCA, BFCA, GG, AWFJ, IFCA, ISA, CFCA*, BAFTA*, COFC***
2. George Clooney, ‘Up in the Air’ SAG*, NYFCC**, NBR**, WAFCA, INFC, SEFCA, DFWFCA, HFCA, FFCC, SLGFC, PFCS, OFCC, KCFC, COFC, NTFCA, BFCA*, GG*, CFCA*, BAFTA*
3. Jeremy Renner, ‘The Hurt Locker’ BSFC, CFCA, NSFC, SAG*, LVFCS, OFCS, INFC***, UFCA***, BFCA*, BAFTA*
4. Colin Firth, ‘A Single Man’ BAFTA, SAG*, LAFCA***, SFFCC, SDFCS, DCFS, AFCA, VFCC, BFCA*, GG*
5. Morgan Freeman, ‘Invictus’ SAG*, NBR**, BFCA*, GG*

Actress
1. Carey Mulligan, ‘An Education’ NBR, CFCA, BAFTA, SAG*, LAFCA***, BIFA, WAFCA, AWFJ, INFC, TFCA, DFWFCA, UFCA, HFCA, SLGFC, COFC, VFCC, BFCA*, GG*
2. Meryl Streep, ‘Julie & Julia’ BSFC, NYFCC, GG, SAG*, NYFCO, SEFCA, SFFCC, PFCS, OFCC, KCFC, NTFCA, BFCA**, CFCA*, BAFTA*, INFC***
3. Sandra Bullock, ‘The Blind Side’ SAG, GG, BFCA**
4. Gabourey Sidibe, ‘Precious’ SAG*, DCFS, LVFCS, FFCC, IFCA, ISA, BFCA*, GG*, CFCA*, BAFTA*, SLGFC***
5. Helen Mirren, ‘The Last Station’ SAG*, GG*

Supporting Actor
1. Christoph Waltz, ‘Inglourious Basterds’ SAG, BSFC, LAFCA, NYFCC, CFCA, BFCA, GG, BAFTA, NSFC***, WAFCA, NYFCO, AWFJ, INFC, SEFCA, SDFCS, AFCA, TFCA, DFWFCA, DCFS, LVFCS, HFCA, FFCC, SLGFC, OFCC, PFCS, KCFC, OFCS, COFC, VFCC, IFCA, NTFCA, LFCC, UFCA***
2. Woody Harrelson, ‘The Messenger’ NBR, SAG*, ISA, BFCA*, GG*, CFCA*
3. Stanley Tucci, ‘The Lovely Bones’ SAG*, INFC***, BFCA*, GG*, CFCA*, BAFTA*, SLGFC***
4. Matt Damon, ‘Invictus’ SAG*, BFCA*, GG*
5. Christopher Plummer, ‘The Last Station’ SAG*, GG*

Supporting Actress
1. Monique Imes, ‘Precious’ SAG, BSFC, LAFCA, NYFCC, CFCA, NSFC, BFCA, GG, BAFTA, WAFCA, AWFJ, INFC, SEFCA, SFFCC, DFWFCA, UFCA, DCFS, LVFCS, FFCC, SLGFC, PFCS, OFCC, KCFC, OFCS, COFC, IFCA, LFCC, ISA
2. Anna Kendrick, ‘Up in the Air’ NBR, SAG*, LAFCA***, AFCA, TFCA, HFCA, NTFCA, UFCA***, BFCA*, GG*, CFCA*, BAFTA*
3. Vera Farmiga, ‘Up in the Air’ SAG*, VFCC, INFC***, BFCA*, GG*, CFCA*, BAFTA*
4. Penélope Cruz, ‘Nine’ SAG*, GG*
5. Maggie Gyllenhaal, ‘Crazy Heart’
________________________________________________________________________________

Screenplay, Adapted
1. Jason Reitman & Sheldon Turner, ‘Up in the Air’ WGA, NBR, LAFCA, CFCA, BFCA, GG, USC, BAFTA, WAFCA, AWFJ, INFC, SEFCA, AFCA, DFWFCA, HFCA, PFCS, OFCC, KCFC, COFC, VFCC, TFCA**, SLGFC***
2. Jesse Armstrong, Simon Blackwell, Armando Iannucci & Tony Roche, ‘In The Loop’ NYFCC, LAFCA***, BIFA, LFCC, CFCA*, BAFTA*
3. Geoffrey Fletcher, ‘Precious’ WGA*, USC*, BFCA*, BAFTA*
4. Neill Blomkamp & Terri Tatchell, ‘District 9’ USC*, BFCA*, GG*, BAFTA*
5. Nick Hornby, ‘An Education’ USC*, BFCA*, CFCA*, BAFTA*

Screenplay, Original
1. Quentin Tarantino, ‘Inglourious Basterds’ BFCA, WAFCA, NYFCO, SFFCC, SDFCS, AFCA, KCFC, OFCS, COFC, TFCA**, UFCA***, GG*, CFCA*, BAFTA*
2. Mark Boal, ‘The Hurt Locker’ WGA, CFCA, BAFTA, BFCA*, GG*
3. Joel Coen & Ethan Coen, ‘A Serious Man’ BSFC, NBR, NSFC, WGA*, BFCA*, CFCA*, BAFTA*, DFWFCA***
4. Bob Peterson & Pete Docter, ‘Up’ PFCS, BFCA*, CFCA*, BAFTA*, COFC***
5. Alessandro Camon & Oren Moverman, ‘The Messenger’

Animated
1. Up PGA, AA, ACE, BSFC, NBR, CFCA, BFCA, GG, BAFTA, LAFCA***, WAFCA, NYFCO, AWFJ, SEFCA, AFCA, DFWFCA, HFCA, FFCC, PFCS, OFCS, COFC, IFCA, NTFCA, INFC***, UFCA***
2. Fantastic Mr. Fox LAFCA, NYFCC, PGA*, ACE*, AA*, INFC, TFCA, UFCA, LVFCS, OFCC, BFCA*, GG*, CFCA*, BAFTA*, SLGFC***, COFC***
3. Coraline PGA*, ACE*, AA*, SFFCC, BFCA*, GG*, CFCA*, BAFTA*
4. The Princess and the Frog PGA*, AA*, BFCA*, GG*, CFCA*
5. The Secret of Kells AA*

Documentary
1. The Cove PGA, DGA, ACE, WGA, BSFC, NBR, BFCA, LAFCA**, NYFCO, AWFJ, INFC, SDFCS, TFCA, DFWFCA, UFCA, HFCA, FFCC, NTFCA, BFCA*, COFC***
2. Food, Inc. ACE*, DGA*, GIFA, WAFCA, SEFCA, NBR*, BFCA*, CFCA*
3. Burma VJ: Reporting From A Closed Country PGA*, NBR*
4. The Most Dangerous Man In America: Daniel Ellsberg and the Pentagon Papers NBR*
5. Which Way Home

Foreign Film
1. Germany, ‘The White Ribbon’ CFCA, GG, LAFCA***, NYFCO, TFCA, OFCS, NBR*, BFCA*, BAFTA*
2. France, ‘A Prophet’ NBR, BAFTA, NTFCA, GG*
3. Argentina, ‘The Secret in Their Eyes’
3. Israel, ‘Ajami’
3. Peru, ‘The Milk of Sorrow’

Music (Score)
1. Michael Giacchino, ‘Up’ IFMCA, CFCA, BFCA, GG, BAFTA, AFCA, HFCA, PFCS, OFCS, COFC
2. James Horner, ‘Avatar’ IFMCA* GG*, CFCA*, BAFTA*
3. Alexandre Desplat, ‘Fantastic Mr. Fox’ LAFCA***, CFCA*, BAFTA*
4. Hans Zimmer, ‘Sherlock Holmes’ BFCA*
5. Marco Beltrami & Buck Sanders, ‘The Hurt Locker’

Music (Song)
1. Crazy Heart, ‘The Weary Kind’ BFCA, GG, LVFCS, PFCS
2. Nine, ‘Take It All’
2. The Princess and the Frog, ‘Almost There’
2. The Princess and the Frog, ‘Down in New Orleans’
2. Paris 36, ‘Loin de Paname’

Editing
1. The Hurt Locker BSFC, ACE, BAFTA, LVFCS, OFCS, BFCA*
2. Avatar BFCA, ACE*, PFCS, BAFTA*
3. Inglourious Basterds AWFJ, BFCA*, BAFTA*
4. District 9 ACE*, BAFTA*
5. Precious

Sound Mixing
1. The Hurt Locker CAS, BAFTA, BFCA*
2. Avatar BFCA, CAS*, BAFTA*
3. District 9 CAS*, BFCA*, BAFTA*
2. Star Trek CAS*, BFCA*, BAFTA*
5. Inglourious Basterds

Sound Editing
1. Avatar MPSE, BFCA, BAFTA*
2. Inglourious Basterds MPSE
3. The Hurt Locker BAFTA, MPSE*, BFCA*
3. Star Trek MPSE*, BFCA*, BAFTA*
5. Up BAFTA*

Visual Effects
1. Avatar VES, BFCA, BAFTA, SLGFC, PFCS
2. Star Trek VES*, LVFCS, BFCA*, BAFTA*
3. District 9 VES*, BFCA*, BAFTA*

Cinematography
1. Christian Berger, ‘The White Ribbon’ ASC, LAFCA, NYFCC, NSFC
2. Barry Ackroyd, ‘The Hurt Locker’ CFCA, BAFTA, ASC*, LAFCA***, AFCA, HFCA, BFCA*, DFWFCA***
3. Mauro Fiore, ‘Avatar’ BFCA, ASC*, FFCC, PFCS, NTFCA, CFCA*, BAFTA*
4. Robert Richardson, ‘Inglourious Basterds’ ASC*, NYFCO, OFCS, COFC, BFCA*, CFCA*, BAFTA*
5. Bruno Delbonnel, ‘Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince’

Art Direction
1. Avatar ADG, BFCA, BAFTA, LAFCA***, LVFCS, PFCS
2. Sherlock Holmes ADG
3. Nine WAFCA, BFCA*
4. The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus BAFTA*
5. The Young Victoria

Costume Design
1. The Young Victoria CDG, BFCA, BAFTA, PFCS
2. The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus CDG
3. Coco Before Chanel CDG*, BAFTA*
4. Nine CDG*, BFCA*
5. Bright Star BFCA*, BAFTA*

Makeup
1. The Young Victoria BAFTA
2. Star Trek BFCA*
3. Il Divo

NB: * denotes a nomination, ** denotes a tied win, *** denotes a runner-up.

Groups Recognised:

Tier One AA = Annie Awards, ACE = American Cinema Editors, ADG = Art Directors Guild, ASC = American Society of Cinematographers, CAS = Cinema Audio Society, CDG = Costume Designers Guild, DGA = Director’s Guild of America, IFMCA = International Film Music Critics Association, PGA = Producer’s Guild of America, SAG = Screen Actor’s Guild, WGA = Writer’s Guild of America, VES = Visual Effects Society

Tier Two AFI = American Film Institute, BAFTA = British Academy of Film and Television Awards, BSFC = Boston Society of Film Critics, BFCA = Broadcast Film Critics Association, CFCA = Chicago Film Critics Association, GG = Golden Globes, LAFCA = Los Angeles Film Critics Association, NBR = National Board of Review, NSFC = National Society of Film Critics, NYFCC = New York Film Critics Circle, USC = USC Scripter Award

Tier Three AFCA = Austin Film Critics Association, AWFJ = Alliance of Women Film Journalists, BIFA = British Independent Film Awards, COFC = Central Ohio Film Critics, DFCS = Detriot Film Critics Society, DFWFCA = Dallas-Fort Worth Film Critics Association, FFCC = Florida Film Critics Circle, GIFA = Gotham Independent Film Awards, HFCA = Houston Film Critics Association, INFC = Indiana Film Critics, IFCA = Iowa Film Critics Association, ISA = Independent Spirit Awards, KCFC = Kansas City Film Critics, LFCC = London Film Critics Circle, LVFCS = Las Vegas Film Critics Society, NTFCA = North Texas Film Critics Association, NYFCO = New York Film Critics Online, OFCC = Oklahoma Film Critics Circle, OFCS = Online Film Critics Society, PFCS = Phoenix Film Critics Society, SDFCS = San Diego Film Critics Society, SEFCA = South Eastern Film Critics Association, SFFCC = San Francisco Film Critics Circle, SLGFC = St. Louis Gateway Film Critics, TFCA = Toronto Film Critics Association, UFCA = Utah Film Critics Association, VFCC = Vancouver Film Critics Circle, WAFCA = Washingtion D.C. Area Film Critics Association

4 Wins - The Hurt Locker
3 Wins - Avatar
2 Wins - Inglourious Basterds, Crazy Heart, Up
1 Win - The Blind Side, Precious, Up in the Air, Star Trek, The White Ribbon, The Young Victoria, A Prophet, The Cove
Old 03-06-10, 08:32 PM

very excited about my picks!

Best Picture: The Hurt Locker
Best Director: Kathryn Bigelow for The Hurt Locker
Best Actor: Jeff Bridges for Crazy Heart
Best Actress: Sandra Bullock for The Blind Side
Best Supporting Actor: Christoph Waltz for Inglourious Basterds
Best Supporting Actress: Mo'Nique for Precious: Based on the Novel Push by Sapphire
Best Original Screenplay: Inglourious Basterds: Quentin Tarantino
Best Adapted Screenplay: Up in the Air: Jason Reitman, Sheldon Turner
Cinematography: Avatar: Mauro Fiore
Editing: The Hurt Locker: Bob Murawski, Chris Innis
Art Direction: Avatar: Rick Carter, Robert Stromberg, Kim Sinclair
Costume Design: The Young Victoria: Sandy Powell
Original Score: Up: Michael Giacchino
Original Song: Crazy Heart: T-Bone Burnett, Ryan Bingham("The Weary Kind")
Best Makeup: Star Trek: Barney Burman, Mindy Hall, Joel Harlow
Best Sound Mixing: The Hurt Locker: Paul N.J. Ottosson, Ray Beckett
Best Sound Editing: Avatar: Christopher Boyes, Gwendolyn Yates Whittle
Best Visual Effects: Avatar: Joe Letteri, Stephen Rosenbaum, Richard Baneham, Andy Jones
Best Animated Feature Film: Up: Pete Docter
Best Foreign Language Film: Das weisse Band - Eine deutsche Kindergeschichte (Germany)
Best Documentary Feature: The Cove: Louie Psihoyos, Fisher Stevens
Best Documentary Short: The Last Truck: Closing of a GM Plant (TV): Steven Bognar, Julia Reichert
Best Live Action Short: The Door: Juanita Wilson, James Flynn
Best Animated Short: French Roast: Fabrice Joubert
Old 03-06-10, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Last edited by Doctor Gonzo; 03-06-10 at 09:39 PM.
Old 03-06-10, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Here are my picks:

OF THE YEAR Avatar
ACTOR Bridges
ACTRESS Bullock
ANIMATED FEATURE Up
ANIMATED SHORT Logorama
ART DIRECTION Avatar
CINEMATOGRAPHY Avatar
COSTUME DESIGN Coco
DIRECTING Bigelow
DOCUMENTARY FEATURE The Cove
DOCUMENTARY SHORT China's
FILM EDITING Hurt Locker
FOREIGN FILM White Ribbon
LIVE ACTION SHORT Abracadabra
MAKEUP Divo
ORIGINAL SCORE Up
ORIGINAL SONG Weary Kind
SCREENPLAY ADAPTED Up In the Air
SCREENPLAY ORIGINAL Basterds
SOUND EDITING Avatar
SOUND MIXING Avatar
SUPPORTING ACTOR Waltz
SUPPORTING ACTRESS Mo'nique
VISUAL EFFECTS Avatar
Old 03-07-10, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm rooting for Avatar in all nominated categories.
Old 03-07-10, 12:40 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

Originally Posted by Doctor Gonzo

this is funny as hell.
Old 03-07-10, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Since we've started throwing predictions into this thread, here are mine. Note: I have paid completely no attention to other awards, have only seen a few nominees for myself and have pulled these out of thin air.

Best Motion Picture of the Year - The Hurt Locker (2008): Kathryn Bigelow, Mark Boal, Nicolas Chartier, Greg Shapiro
Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role - Morgan Freeman for Invictus (2009)
Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role - Meryl Streep for Julie & Julia (2009)
Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role - Matt Damon for Invictus (2009)
Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role - Maggie Gyllenhaal for Crazy Heart (2009)
Best Achievement in Directing - James Cameron for Avatar (2009)
Best Writing, Screenplay Written Directly for the Screen - The Hurt Locker (2008): Mark Boal
Best Writing, Screenplay Based on Material Previously Produced or Published - Precious: Based on the Novel "Push" by Sapphire (2009): Geoffrey Fletcher
Best Achievement in Cinematography - Avatar (2009): Mauro Fiore
Best Achievement in Editing - Avatar (2009): Stephen E. Rivkin, John Refoua, James Cameron
Best Achievement in Art Direction - Avatar (2009): Rick Carter, Robert Stromberg, Kim Sinclair
Best Achievement in Costume Design - Coco avant Chanel (2009): Catherine Leterrier
Best Achievement in Makeup - Star Trek (2009): Barney Burman, Mindy Hall, Joel Harlow
Best Achievement in Music Written for Motion Pictures, Original Score - Up (2009): Michael Giacchino
Best Achievement in Music Written for Motion Pictures, Original Song - Crazy Heart (2009): T-Bone Burnett, Ryan Bingham ("The Weary Kind")
Best Achievement in Sound Mixing - Avatar (2009): Christopher Boyes, Gary Summers, Andy Nelson, Tony Johnson
Best Achievement in Sound Editing - Avatar (2009): Christopher Boyes, Gwendolyn Yates Whittle
Best Achievement in Visual Effects - Avatar (2009): Joe Letteri, Stephen Rosenbaum, Richard Baneham, Andy Jones
Best Animated Feature Film of the Year - Up (2009): Pete Docter
Best Foreign Language Film of the Year - Un prophete (2009) (France)
Best Documentary, Features - Food, Inc. (2008): Robert Kenner, Elise Pearlstein
Best Documentary, Short Subjects - The Last Truck: Closing of a GM Plant (2009) (TV): Steve Bognar, Julia Reichert
Best Short Film, Animated - French Roast (2008): Fabrice Joubert
Best Short Film, Live Action - Miracle Fish (2009): Luke Doolan, Drew Bailey
Old 03-07-10, 03:34 PM

All I have to say is what a joke it's going to be that Monique will have an oscar. And actors like Leo, Christian Bale, Bruce Willis, Stallone and Arnold Schwarzenegger don't have one.
Old 03-07-10, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by moviesaregreat
All I have to say is what a joke it's going to be that Monique will have an oscar. And actors like Leo, Christian Bale, Bruce Willis, Stallone and Arnold Schwarzenegger don't have one.
Agreed. The same goes for Jennifer Hudson.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.