Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

2009 Year in Film | 82nd Oscars Discussion Thread -- 03.07.2010

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

2009 Year in Film | 82nd Oscars Discussion Thread -- 03.07.2010

Old 02-28-10, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: 2009 Year in Film | 82nd Oscars Discussion Thread -- 03.07.2010

I have all my picks, except those pesky documentary/short films....and Original Screenplay.

I think Hurt Locker is going to be a big winner next Sunday. I have it for Picture, Director, Editing, Sound Mixing, and I also gave it Cinematography, although that could go any direction. That's 5 wins so far.

I gave Avatar Sound Effects Editing, Visual Effects, and Art Direction.

The only other multi-winner I have appears to be Crazy Heart (Actor, Song), and Up (Animated, Score).

I really want to pick Boal for Original Screenplay, but if I do, that means Basterds will have 1 win. Seems like that film is popular enough to land 2 victories, but that means QT wins Original Screenplay. So I may be pondering that one a couple more days. On one hand, Original Screenplay would be the runner up prize for Basterds. On the other, the Best Picture winner often seems to take the Screenplay award as well. This choice would be easier if Basterds were eligible for the WGA.

Last edited by Mr. Cinema; 02-28-10 at 02:14 PM.
Old 03-01-10, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I wouldn't be shocked if Hurt Locker wins Original Screenplay, but I decided to stick with my first choice, which is Basterds. I feel like they will want to give that film more than 1 award and this is the film's best chance, assuming it doesn't win Picture. I wouldn't be surprised if it won Cinematography, as I feel that category is one of the more tougher choices, although I am sticking with Hurt Locker. Mainly because I feel it's the Best Picture winner, so I think the voters will pick it based on being the favorite. The BAFTA win also helped.

So my multi-winners are:

Hurt Locker with 5 wins: Picture, Director, Film Editing, Sound Mixing, Cinematography
Avatar with 3 wins: Art Direction, Visual Effects, Sound Editing
Inglourious Basterds with 2 wins: Supporting Actor, Original Screenplay
UP with 2 wins: Animated Feature, Original Score
Crazy Heart with 2 wins: Actor, Original Song

Sunday could have a few different combinations though. I could see Avatar sweeping the Sound. I could see anyone but Harry Potter winning Cinematography. Original Screenplay could be Hurt Locker or Basterds and then picture could go a few different ways. It should be much more fun to watch compared to last year's snoozefest where Slumdog's undeserved dominance ruined any chance for surprises.
Old 03-01-10, 09:12 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

of the foreign films - The Milk of Sorrows is by far the inferior of the five, it's tedious and rather pointless IMO. I think the Academy will go for The White Ribbon but I found The Prophet to be a much better movie. It didn't help that a 20min reel of The Secret in their Eyes was missing - I had to wiki the missing storyline.
Old 03-01-10, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The very very last of the guild awards and thus the precursors have been given out. The film music composers went with Michael Giacchino for Up, and in the shock of the year the Visual Effects Society went with Avatar.

This is pretty much how Best Picture will stand going into the oscar ceremony. I will post the complete list along with my thoughts on who will win on the eve of.

Picture
1. The Hurt Locker PGA, DGA, ADG, ACE, WGA, CAS, BSFC, LAFCA, NYFCC, CFCA, NSFC, BFCA, BAFTA, SAG*, ASC*, MPSE*, AFI**, GIFA, AWFJ, SFFCC, AFCA, LVFCS, HFCA, OFCC, OFCS, UFCA***, NBR*, GG*, SLGFC***
2. Avatar ADG, MPSE, VES, GG, PGA*, DGA*, WGA*, ASC*, ACE*, CAS*, CDG*, IFMCA*, NYFCO, BFCA*, BAFTA*
3. Up in the Air WGA, NBR, PGA*, DGA*, ADG*, ACE*, CDG*, LAFCA***, AFI**, WAFCA, INFC, SEFCA, DFWFCA, UFCA, FFCC, SLGFC, KCFC, COFC, VFCC, IFCA, NTFCA, BFCA*, GG*, CFCA*, BAFTA*
4. Inglourious Basterds SAG, MPSE, PGA*, DGA*, ADG*, ASC*, SDFCS, TFCA, PFCS, UFCA***, NBR*, BFCA*, GG*, CFCA*
5. Up IFMCA, PGA*, AFI**, DFCS, NBR*, BFCA*, COFC***
6. Precious SAG*, PGA*, DGA*, WGA*, CDG*, AFI**, BFCA*, GG*, BAFTA*
7. A Serious Man ADG*, WGA*, ACE*, AFI**, NBR*, BFCA*, CFCA*
8. District 9 PGA*, ADG*, ACE*, VES*, CAS*
9. An Education SAG*, PGA*, NBR*, BFCA*, BAFTA*
10. The Blind Side
Old 03-02-10, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Chartier is no longer invited the show on March 7 due to his meltdown. He is still an oscar nominee and if The Hurt Locker wins, he will still receive his Oscar but he's no longer going to the event.

The Academy stopped short at taking away his nomination, which would be petty and a step too far in my opinion. But at least he'll see some repercussion for the stupid decisions he made.
Old 03-02-10, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by hardercore View Post
Full text from the email in question:
Originally Posted by Originally Posted by Nicolas "Self-saboteur" "desperately seeking Oscar" Chartier

I hope all is well with you. I just wanted to write you and say I hope you liked Hurt Locker and if you did and want us to win, please tell (name deleted) and your friends who vote for the Oscars, tell actors, directors, crew members, art directors, special effects people, if everyone tells one or two of their friends, we will win and not a $500M film, we need independent movies to win like the movies you and I do, so if you believe The Hurt Locker is the best movie of 2010, help us!

I'm sure you know plenty of people you've worked with who are academy members whethere a publicist, a writer, a sound engineer, please take 5 minutes and contact them. Please call one or two persons, everything will help!

best regards,

Nicolas Chartier Voltage Pictures
Some guy named Jake Sully had a response:

I hope all is well with you. I just wanted to write you and say I hope you liked Avatar and if you did and want us to win, please tell (name deleted) and your friends who vote for the Oscars, tell actors, directors, crew members, art directors, special effects people, if everyone tells one or two of their friends, we will win and not a film that grossed $6M at the box-office, we need movies that people actually see to win, like the movies you and I do, so if you believe Avatar is the best movie of 2010, help us!

I'm sure you know plenty of people you've worked with who are academy members, in fact many of them likely worked on Avatar which employed hundreds of people (many from Los Angeles) and did not make the movie with 6 Brits and a number of Jordanians, please take 5 minutes and contact them. Please call one or two persons, everything will help!

best regards,
Jake Sully, Pandora Films
http://www.deadline.com/2010/02/jake...on-oscar-race/
Old 03-02-10, 11:10 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by toddly6666 View Post
The Hurt Locker is the most overrated film of the year. Avatar is not overrated, because everyone is just saying that movie is just good, not the greatest movie in the world as critics are saying about The Hurt Locker.
here's an interesting article from last Sunday's Washington Post Arts section over some of the negativity over the film:

Some Iraq, Afghanistan war veterans criticize movie 'Hurt Locker' as inaccurate
By Christian Davenport
Washington Post Staff Writer
Sunday, February 28, 2010

Time magazine called "The Hurt Locker" "a near-perfect war film," but Ryan Gallucci, an Iraq war veteran, had to turn the movie off three times, he says, "or else I would have thrown my remote through the television."

Critics adore the film and it has been nominated for nine Oscars -- a feat matched only by "Avatar," the top-grossing movie of all time -- but Paul Rieckhoff, founder of Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America, says that's "nine more Oscar nominations than it deserves. I don't know why critics love this silly, inaccurate film so much," he wrote on his Facebook page.

Many in the military say "Hurt Locker" is plagued by unforgivable inaccuracies that make the most critically acclaimed Iraq war film to date more a Hollywood fantasy than the searingly realistic rendition that civilians take it for.

To which you might say: It's just a movie and an action flick at that. It's Tinseltown fiction -- an interpretation of war such as "Full Metal Jacket" or "Apocalypse Now." It's supposed to entertain. It's not a documentary, not real life.

But to those who were there, Iraq is real life. And they're very sensitive -- some would say overly so -- when their war is portrayed via a central character who is a reckless rogue.

Hence a rising backlash from people in uniform, such as this response on Rieckhoff's Facebook page from a self-identified Army Airborne Ranger:

"f this movie was based on a war that never existed, I would have nothing to comment about. This movie is not based on a true story, but on a true war, a war in which I have seen my friends killed, a war in which I witnessed my ranger buddy get both his legs blown off. So for Hollywood to glorify this
crap is a huge slap in the face to every soldier who's been on the front line."

Even Brian Williams, the NBC News anchor, took a shot on his blog, writing a post titled, "The Hurt Locker: Hurting for a fact-checker." The movie's positive reviews could not have been "written by anyone who had spent any time with U.S. armed forces in Iraq," he wrote, wondering why none of the soldiers in the movie dipped smokeless tobacco or said "hoo-ah" -- "the universal term for hello, goodbye, understood, etc."

'Reckless' character

In an interview, Rieckhoff said the anger about "Hurt Locker" stems not so much from such small inaccuracies -- for example, the uniforms the soldiers wear in the film weren't available until well after the time the story took place -- but rather from the depiction of the main character, Sgt. 1st Class William James.

Portrayed by Jeremy Renner, who's nominated for Best Actor, James is a daredevil who in one scene takes off his protective armor while disarming a bomb because, as he says, "If I'm going to die, I'm going to be comfortable." He runs alone through the streets of Baghdad with his sweat shirt hood up like a gangster. Later, he takes two soldiers hunting for insurgents in Baghdad's back alleys without any backup.

James's fellow soldiers are, or try to be, by-the-book professionals. They call James "rowdy" and "reckless," and one worries out loud that his leader's crazy antics are "going to get me killed." James is as much cowboy as soldier, and vets fear he could become an iconic figure in the American imagination should the movie win a bunch of statues.

"Films, almost more than anything, will be the way Americans understand our war," Rieckhoff said. "So we feel that there is a responsibility for filmmakers to portray our war accurately. We see ourselves as watchdogs. . . . When he puts a hood on like Eminem and starts roving outside the wire, it's ridiculous."

Gallucci, a former sergeant who served in Iraq from 2003 to 2004, says he kept hoping James would get "blown up throughout the entire movie. I wanted to see his poor teammates get another team leader, who was actually concerned about their safety."

'Dramatic effect'

Mark Boal, the film's screenwriter, knows the soldiers in the film are wearing the wrong uniform. He was embedded in Iraq with an Explosive Ordnance Disposal team in 2004, and he's aware of what soldiers wore. Boal has worked as a journalist -- an article he wrote for Playboy became the basis for the 2007 film "In the Valley of Elah," about an Iraq war veteran who is murdered upon returning home -- and he feels a duty to hew as close to possible to the truth.

But "The Hurt Locker" is a movie, not a magazine article, Boal says, and screenwriters need ample artistic license to build a compelling -- and true -- story. So when he chose to have the film's soldiers wear the current Army uniform rather than the one they wore in 2004, it's to allow his audience "to relate to the imagery they saw on the news."

Yes, he had military consultants help him get details of radio protocol and uniforms right, but he never felt obliged to be precisely accurate. The consultants, Boal says, give a writer the information he needs so that "when you do choose to make a dramatic effect, [you] do it in a way that is not totally embarrassing."

The arc of the narrative, he says, has to come from the writer. "The story came out of my imagination based on my life experience and hundreds of conversations I've had with soldiers.

"I definitely tried for dramatic effect to make artistic choices, but I hope I made them respectfully and carefully and with the goal of not making a training video or a documentary, but showing just how hellish this war is. I was also aware, by the way, that there are many wonderful documentaries on Iraq and many wonderful articles, which no one has seen. And quite frankly, I was hoping that people would see the film."

Art vs. reality

Each writer's search for truth lands at a different point on the spectrum between art and reality. When screenwriter David Simon made the series "Generation Kill" for HBO, he considered it more important to have Marines find his work an accurate portrayal of their culture and experience invading Iraq than to win critical acclaim. "The real fun isn't trying to convince the average viewer" that we have it right, he told the Marine Corps Times. "It's trying to convince people who have been in the game."

Boal not only wanted to tell a riveting and important story, but also to raise awareness about soldiers who disarm bombs, a specialty known as explosive ordnance disposal, which he believed the general public knew little about, even though hidden bombs are the leading cause of casualties in Iraq.

As a result, despite some complaints about inaccuracies, many veterans of bomb disposal units love the movie, says James O'Neil, executive director of the EOD Memorial Foundation, a nonprofit that has benefited financially from the film.

"While there is some artistic license," O'Neil says, "there's a lot of good representation of the intensity and the courage that's displayed by EOD techs. What it takes to find, identify and then render safe those [bombs] -- that's a story, and it's an incredible story."

Filmmakers always worry that productions that servicemembers see as spot-on might leave general audiences cold. So: Is it really important that a war movie be accurate?

No, says David McKenna, a film professor at Columbia University. "Hurt Locker," he argues, isn't as much about Iraq as it is about one soldier's addiction to war. It's a character study, an exploration of courage, bravado and leadership told through "a series of suspenseful situations. I suppose it could have just as easily been set in outer space."

If veterans don't like it, McKenna says, "well, this is an opportunity to go make your own movie."

Old 03-03-10, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Part of this is me just hoping we have at least 1 surprise win Sunday night, but I'm still somewhat expecting we'll see a semi-upset for Best Actress.

I picked Bullock as well, but I don’t think that’s a done deal. I know the BAFTA likes to pick their own, but Mulligan’s win, to me, means she’s still in the hunt, and could benefit from a split vote between Streep and Bullock. The last 4 BAFTA winners (Winslet, Cotillard, Mirren, Witherspoon) went on to win the Oscar. It's not a long streak, but I think it's worth keeping in mind. Is the Academy really going to give a Best Actress Oscar to someone who also starred in All About Steve and The Promotion?
Old 03-03-10, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema View Post
Is the Academy really going to give a Best Actress Oscar to someone who also starred in All About Steve and The Promotion?
Why not? The Academy knows that actors take all kinds of jobs, many just for the sake of keeping themselves visible to the public (and therefore viable). Why should voters hold against Bullock or any other nominee the rest of their resume? She's nominated for The Blind Side for a reason: enough people felt her performance in that film warranted consideration. This nonsense about resenting people who are nominated will never make sense to me.
Old 03-03-10, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have a feeling that she wont win just like Eddie Murphy didn't win a few years ago since he had a few horrible movies out in the same year as well.

Are we not doing an Oscar picks game like we've done the past few years in a row or have I just missed that information this year?
Old 03-03-10, 05:08 PM

I hate to be a conspiracy theorist but all of these problems that the Hurt Locker is receiving lately from it's producer and now a lawsuit, seems to me that Hollywood execs are trying to slyly persuade the voters to vote for the picture that makes them money and not an artistic achievement like the Hurt Locker or Inglorious Basterds.
Old 03-03-10, 05:36 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OR maybe the producer should know the rules and not beg people to vote for the film he's associated with?
Old 03-03-10, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Brent L View Post
I have a feeling that she wont win just like Eddie Murphy didn't win a few years ago since he had a few horrible movies out in the same year as well.
I don't know. The Proposal was actually a success at the box office, and it was touted as part of "her big year" even before the awards season.
Old 03-03-10, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I picked Bullock because of her SAG win. But I don't think it's a lock. This seems like a good chance of a split vote happening. I saw The Blind Side and Bullock was good, but no way did she give the best performance this year.

If she wins, it's going to be another bad choice just like in 2000, where the Academy gave it to Julia Roberts over Ellen Burstyn. Pick a real-life, sassy character to portray, win an Oscar.
Old 03-03-10, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a feeling that Avatar will win everything and Sandra Bullock will win too. It just seems like they are trying to sell out so much.
Old 03-03-10, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If Avatar does win, it'll do so with 0 momentum going into Sunday. It's lost every single major guild award. DGA, PGA, ACE, WGA, etc. Aside from the Globes, no major wins. Even in previous years where there was an upset, the winner still managed some major Guild awards. The Crash year is the example most people point out to, where Brokeback won almost everything that Hurt Locker did, but still lost. Crash still managed ACE, WGA, and SAG wins going into the Oscars.

Titanic won the DGA, PGA, and ACE. So it also had momentum aside from the massive box office.

The last movie to win Best Picture with 0 acting and writing nominations was....Grand Hotel back in 1931. So if Avatar does win, it'll shatter a very long streak.
Old 03-03-10, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for pointing that out, Mr. C. Good, maybe I'll tune in to watch it then.
Old 03-04-10, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I would like Avatar to win Best Picture, but I think the Hurt Locker will win, but James Cameron will probably win best director hopefully, at least for all the advancements on filmaking that came out of avatar.
Old 03-04-10, 01:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by maingon View Post
I would like Avatar to win Best Picture, but I think the Hurt Locker will win, but James Cameron will probably win best director hopefully, at least for all the advancements on filmaking that came out of avatar.
In no way am I comparing Avatar to 2001: A Space Odyssesy in form of quality but if that were your form to vote Kubrick would've won Best Director. I haven't seen Oliver! by Carol Reed (aka the director for The Third Man and other films) So ....I can't gauge how good that film is in comparison but I liked Avatar, I give Cameron my further respect for his filmmaking but even he mentioned that Bigelow deserved the Best Director Award at the GG. I hope it doesn't win Best Pic, it's an achievement in visual and technical filmmaking but...it's kinda weak w/ the plot.
Old 03-04-10, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 665 Likes on 536 Posts

Yeah the tech stuff is well done, the directing wasn't particularly great (the movie got extremely corny in spots, too) and the script was pretty weak.
Old 03-04-10, 02:02 PM
Banned

If anything we can all agree is that Avatar deserves awards for it's tech work. Everything else not so much.
Old 03-04-10, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It may sound crazy, but I'd give the nod to District 9 over Avatar for Visual Effects, if only because of how much better the effects were weaved into "real life" and the effects didn't take me out of the moment, but pulled me in more.

I know I'm in the minority there though.
Old 03-04-10, 02:37 PM
Banned

Yeah but how'd that work though. Personally I'd go w/ D9 cuz it was much more realistic to me. But the film had various FX houses doing work for them. Though it was only one group that did the Prawns. Weta for example only did the mothership, I think.
Old 03-04-10, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't know. I just know that to me D9 did a much better job with the visual effects. Heck, I'll be sorta ticked if Avatar beats it, even though I know that it more than likely will.

I also still don't think we're going to see Avatar win many awards at all, and specifically not best picture or director.
Old 03-04-10, 03:04 PM
Banned

This is the Oscars....anything can happen. All I know is that Cristolph Waltz better not lose for Supporting Actor. Also...I guess Bridges will get his Oscar finally. An actor that everybody loves and respects...I think it's funny how...to me..his status as an actor has never deflated or inflated even w/ the current award winning. People just know he's consistently good. He's always been pretty good.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.